Discontinued The Grasshopper

JCat

Accessory Maker
I would guess I'm down ~150 to 200 full bowls in the last 12 days primarily at 4.5 temp through water although a handful dry at 3.5 to 4.25 temp

No flashing on my Ti Hopper that came back to me with a new and smoother rotating back-end

biohacker

I don't weigh mine, but generally 1 load a day. And I usually stick to temp 3, sometimes bump it to 4 near the end of a load.

Translation, your GH would last me about a week tops! :lol: Then again, with my virgin tolerance now i'm guessing i'm even a lighter weight than you at this point! ;) May be a good time to buy a GH again! Maybe.

My wife used it exclusively on temp setting 2. And was actually able to get some seriously visible vapour through glass. With it dry/native, I couldn't use it for crap, and hated the airflow/feeling even at the higher temp range. And ofcourse the only vape to have ever severely blistered my bottom lip, twice...a year apart. No glove no love! Most of the time. :brow:

biohacker

I would guess I'm down ~150 to 200 full bowls in the last 12 days primarily at 4.5 temp through water although a handful dry at 3.5 to 4.25 temp

No flashing on my Ti Hopper that came back to me with a new and smoother rotating back-end

SHIT YES!!! This is what I wanna hear in this thread!!!! :rockon: Thanks brotha!!! You give me HOPE!!! :D

No issues? No GH dance? No hot back end? Sounds like you have the golden hoppa!!! :clap:

JCat

Accessory Maker
SHIT YES!!! This is what I wanna hear in this thread!!!! :rockon: Thanks brotha!!! You give me HOPE!!! :D

No issues? No GH dance? No hot back end? Sounds like you have the golden hoppa!!! :clap:
No GH dance. (No more Hopper Hop)

I do occasionally start to get slightly reduced performance and flashing blue lights might happen at the end of a long draw. When this happens, I finish the bowl, then disassemble and clean with rubbing alcohol, and maybe blu-tack, and then re-assemble and everything is fine again for a couple days--when I do my cleaning routine I also clean the contact inside the body, which does have some buildup every 2nd or 3rd cleaning I find.

I've got hope as well! I sent my SS hopper back for it's 3rd RMA trip and am hopeful it comes back this time working as well (or even close to as well) as my Ti one.

freshly baked

The software hasn't changed to do anything like that. Its a convection vaporizer so the wetter the material or the lower the temperature the more a "primer" is needed (to dry the material to the point it will vape or heat the material to the temp the oils will vape).

It's not that higher temps don't require a "primer" its that at higher temperatures the process happens faster thus you can combine the prime into the first hit.

Of course its all subjective, I tend to take (for a grasshopper anyway) long slow draws so in effect combining the prime and hit. I also usually take a few rips per cycle, i.e. take a long first draw and usually click it off during it, then I usually take a few quick small rips with the residual heat.

I've had my hopper for a year and a half... I know how to use it properly... When I got this reply from HL
I was like doooo waaaaaaa???
6d5WMPQ.jpg

Last edited:

biohacker

@JCat did you get your money back for the express shipping that they mucked up?

So happy for you man! Are you just using ISO/qtip for that inside body contact?

:rofl:@freshly baked - Nice one! :tup:

So sad to hear that the new software has the potential of combustion :puke:

Top temp 210c SHOULD NOT COMBUST! Not even close!

Another step backward? Desperation? I can't believe this is "normal operation". More excuses IMO.

Last edited:

freshly baked

I will say that I am a firm supporter of Hopper labs and the grasshopper. But it seems like they could do a little bit better with taking some responsibility for the faulty unit or the problems with it instead of trying to put it off on the user as if the user did not know what they were doing with it... and some people may not know what they're doing with it, but I'm pretty sure I know what I'm doing with mine... it worked great 4 a few months and then I returned.... it it worked great a few more months and I returned it..... it worked great for one month.... and I returned it.... it worked great for one week and I returned it???? And then telling me they installed updated software that changed the whole functionality of the unit without even letting me know about it that is just not even real to me..

Just for the record this was my issue from previously...
IMG

Last edited:

freshly baked

Correct! I shipped the entire unit. Which I questioned having to do the previous time. It was a little less stressful when they would send the part and I would return the faulty part. Did it 5 times and they sent the right part to fix me up without fail. When I questioned why I'd have to ship the whole thing they gave several reasons. I really liked the old way better. Id been thinking of getting a second one to hold me over while I wait for a replacement part but now...
Hey how about that ghost mv1? Lol

biohacker

I really liked the old way better.

Dude, i'd be owning 2-3 GH's right now if they still processed RMA's like that!!! Shame really.

Hey how about that ghost mv1? Lol

I really didn't think the second coming of christ would occur in my lifetime! Then again, been here before, and this time i'm not falling for any hype. Maybe after the "real review" and a bunch of real world opinions/reviews. But still, a .15g bowl isn't really all that great for a portable IMHO. But I guess it's okay.

I have a feeling that the GH will soon be a ghost as the big boys start to reveal some super stealthy devices, that may not look like a fat pen, but rather something even stealthier! A chapstick perhaps? :lol:

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
I wasn't knocking anybody's legitimate returns of their GHs and their frustrations but we get that same complaining continually in this thread.

If you @biohacker dislike the GH so much, why are you putting yourself through so much frustration and anxiety. Sometimes a vaporizer isn't right and we move on. Especially after so many problems with one type of unit.

I wish you well with whatever vaporizer you wish to buy.

Edit
I have no problems with what you posted @freshly baked. We just get the same complaining over and over again in this thread.

I tried to start a grasshopper complaining thread - nobody seems to be interested.

The GH thread is one big complaining thread.

Last edited:

biohacker

If you @biohacker dislike the GH so much, why are you putting yourself through so much frustration and anxiety.

What are you talking about? Frustration and anxiety?? The fuck? Long passed that, you really need to read more carefully IMO.

The complaining is continuous for a reason. I appreciate your well wishes, but they are completely irrelevant.

I look forward to your GH videos! Need to see your enthusiasm!! :rockon: What say? :nod:

MoltenTiger

This really should not be the case
According to the manual, flickering is indicative of battery level.
https://www.grasshoppervape.com/information/manual/

'Stuttering' LEDs are problematic, the blue LED shimmering as the voltage drops is by design (actually, probably convenience)

all of your eggs in one basket on a tiny fraction of GH users. Check out reddit, vape life forum etc
Is there a way to graph users of Reddit? r/grasshoppervape is extremely stagnant, but it's not a bad point of some data. From what I've seen the proportion of complaints has massively reduced, but there's still some ways to go as they are still tweaking hardware/firmware.

SHOCKING!!! :o
Is it?

Translation, your GH would last me about a week tops!
Would it?

also sending my ss hopper in for flickering blue lights on full battery, when i use my problem free blue ti back end on the ss body no flickering and good performance.
Had this before, a replacement back-end did the trick.

You give me HOPE!!!
I feel like you should have more lol

Sounds like you have the golden hoppa
Sounds normal?
Even at 30% failure rates the majority must still be lucky

So sad to hear that the new software has the potential of combustion :puke:

Top temp 210c SHOULD NOT COMBUST! Not even close!

Another step backward? Desperation? I can't believe this is "normal operation". More excuses IMO.
Firmware tweaks are vital, performance anomalies are resultant.
The end consumer commonly puts up with this from small start ups. There's few exceptions, but easy to avoid. Any customer knows this, or they should.

whole functionality of the unit without even letting me know about it that is just not even real to me..
The functionality is to vape, so yeah it's an ordinary experience when it doesn't but they're making efforts to allow everyone to vape for longer by making these tweaks. Such is hopper life.

Key to hopper success is not letting a few weeks without get to you.
I waited 13 months for a hopper, I've had a 2 month hiatus from the hopper right now.
I am still more than happy (beyond what interests me from other companies) to know I will be back at proper portable vongs in the near future

But that's my use case, so until I see some viable alternatives.... I can deal with it or I go without. Simple enough

freshly baked

The functionality is to vape, so yeah it's an ordinary experience when it doesn't but they're making efforts to allow everyone to vape for longer by making these tweaks. Such is hopper life.
If 3 on the dial was a said temperature.... And now the heat increases with each draw on 3. Then how am I supposed to know what temp I'm vaping? Thats changing the whole functionality of the unit without so much as a word about it to me. I don't care what temp im on really... I dont want my gh combusting... Especially on temp 3

Last edited by a moderator:

MoltenTiger

[QUOTE="MoltenTiger, post: 1124944, member: 25087

If 3 on the dial was a said temperature.... And now the heat increases with each draw on 3. Then how am I supposed to know what temp I'm vaping? Thats changing the whole functionality of the unit without so much as a word about it to me. I don't care what temp im on really... I dont want my gh combusting... Especially on temp 3
The range is supposed to be 130-210 active the whole way. Your device is malfunctioning due to new and failing firmware. HL definitely don't want a combusting vape either and will fix it for you so the functionality returns

Very lame to have to return it at your own cost and I'll possibly have the same firmware and need to do the same soon too. Hopefully they have already fixed it, I know from my own work how easy it is to have firmware cause issues general workers can't fix (or identify before assembling/testing/shipping) and it's genuinely really difficult to fix the issue in some cases. Other times it can be a simple mistake and resolved in hours

Keep us posted!

biohacker

I tried to start a grasshopper complaining thread - nobody seems to be interested.

The GH thread is one big complaining thread.

How would you know? You haven't even read the entire thread (which you admitted yourself). Again, your perception is off, it's about discussing the GH. It's not about complaining, just like some keep insisting it's about "fanboys vs haters". I'll say what I said before regarding that, we're all adults, so some need to grow up. You're not making things better assuming that he or she or me hate the hopper and get frustration/anxiety from it. If you have something to say about the hopper, this is the place. At least it doesn't steer off topic like so many other threads on this forum. Furthermore, if you continue to perceive that it's all about complaining, why do you think that is? Why aren't other threads like that? It's for a good reason. If you don't like it, maybe move on? Or add some enthusiasm with a video or two?

According to the manual, flickering is indicative of battery level.
https://www.grasshoppervape.com/information/manual/

'Stuttering' LEDs are problematic, the blue LED shimmering as the voltage drops is by design (actually, probably convenience)

Yeah I know that, even though it doesn't jive with my own personal experience with proper functioning GH's. I never had increasing flickering as the battery drew closer to depletion. Simply red flashers.

I'm referring to the stuttering on a freshly charged battery, as members have already (currently) reported. This has been an issue, especially when it's intermittent and can affect performance.

Is there a way to graph users of Reddit? r/grasshoppervape is extremely stagnant, but it's not a bad point of some data. From what I've seen the proportion of complaints has massively reduced, but there's still some ways to go as they are still tweaking hardware/firmware.

Not sure dude, but I think it's a better resource than the handful of members on here IMO. AND HL is present there, but I guess they cherry pick their responses to issues, unless something major is an issue that makes them look bad in the public eye, but even then that's not always the case. It's nice to have a rep here for them, or at least someone in the "know", even though what that person says is contradictory to what Caroline (HL) has said, as is the case of the most recent example about combustion and increasing temps. How confusing is that?

:rofl:NOPE!

Would it?

Based on my usage patterns, and his usage patterns, you wouldn't have to be a rocket scientist to figure that one out! :brow:

I feel like you should have more lol

You think? Based on what has recently been told that combustion can be normal at top temp (210c), and that temps are supposed to be INCREASING with each hit, and a couple reports of melting plastic, it's definitely not helping, nor is it helping HL. This isn't the turbo boost function on the Inhalater 6s after all!

Sounds normal?
Even at 30% failure rates the majority must still be lucky

That number means nothing IMO. They could say 2% and could all be BS, very likely. Normal is subjective. Normal could be anemic, and it could also be hot backends.

Here is an example of a GH for sale on Reddit. Is this normal? The owner thinks so and that it works perfectly. However, in reality I don't think so. The led is supposed to take about 5sec give or take, and this one takes more than twice that time. Furthermore, stuttering right off the hop, and since it's on temp 5, to me it's illustrating vapour more akin to maybe temp 3 or 4. I'm passing, as IMHO and experience, it needs an RMA right off the hop.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=VTdJekxOcUo5MW5UUG44blFpQTktdWpwWjNtcEpR

Firmware tweaks are vital, performance anomalies are resultant.
The end consumer commonly puts up with this from small start ups. There's few exceptions, but easy to avoid. Any customer knows this, or they should.

How long is too long to be a startup? I'm sure they've pushed 10's of thousands of GH's at this point, and it's been a while. They shouldn't have gone retail, but like VXL they'll probably just start up another kickstarter, and REALLY go retail. Cloud to EVO eh? Maybe they'll rename it back to the ZenPen?

I highly disagree that any customer knows this. They know the website and the "cool factor", very little are in the know like we are. I agree that they should be informed, but how many people actually do any research on anything, let alone a vape pen device.

Or they are scrambling and trying to figure out how to make the vape work properly for longer, and don't have a clue. To me it's kind of obvious at this point. Maybe they need to go back a step, and increase the quality of their parts, because whatever they are doing isn't working IMO.

Key to hopper success is not letting a few weeks without get to you.

Key to hopper success is actually fixing rma's properly and using QC that is worth something so people who get their rma's back NEVER have to send them right back immediately, or within a short time spac. Key to hopper success is focussing on the GH meat and potatoes and making a product that isn't so disposable.

Is that too much to ask? :lol:

HL definitely don't want a combusting vape either and will fix it for you so the functionality returns

Did I miss something? Did Caroline not say it was normal?:shrug:

slcbdco

Brewer, Lobbyist, Vaporist

What Caroline and I meant is that temp 3 is a higher temp than it used to be. If you're suggesting that temp 3 will be x on rip one the x+ on rip to that is not correct. The temp at each temperature is constant like the old version, each temp is just slightly higher than before that was the change

Combustion at any setting is an error of some kind. I have seen after using very resinous flower and not cleaning for a long time that the residual oil on the side of the chamber will smolder. If that smolders that runaway heat can crear combustion.

This is avoided by cleaning the oil build up, and i'm talking about a LOT of build up. Like several months of heavy use everyday without cleaning kind of build up.

If someone does have a combustion issue check that first. There is certainly not a software version where temperature can increase without changing the dial or that would allow combustion within normal operating.

MoltenTiger

Based on what has recently been told that combustion can be normal at top temp (210c)
It was stated that temp 3 required primer hits (slow heat curve, better accuracy) was now a normal thing due to the algorithms in the adjusted firmware.

That number means nothing IMO
It definitely means something... but it's not a true probability.
The failure rate can be defined as the following:

The total number of failures within an item population, divided by the total time expended by that population, during a particular measurement interval under stated conditions. (MacDiarmid, et al.)

Although the failure rate, λ(t), is often thought of as the probability that a failure occurs in a specified interval given no failure before time t, it is not actually a probability because it can exceed 1. Erroneous expression of the failure rate in % could result in incorrect perception of the measure.

So the failure rate is real, but not entirely a self sufficient number.

If you want to hear a potential trick they could be utilising, it's that a magnitudinal difference could be achieved by an influx of posted but still untested devices over the year, so early on the failure rate is very high and although the dodgy unit rate may stay proportionally even, by increasing the population sample size with untested devices, instantly the failure rate declines significantly.

But given there has been massive reduction in arrays of users posting about similar problems, I have no reason to doubt HL even though I realise they can out math me.

Is this normal?
It sounds normal for a unit about to face RMA like you say. If I was in the market for a hopper it'd be direct from the Labs unless I was saving beyond the $45 transfer fee.

But if you guarantee the latest hardware and firmware you have by far the greatest chance of longevity. A mixed and match hopper is notoriously not okay. The RMA process is in evolution just as the device itself is.

How long is too long to be a startup?
Until large scale commercial success has been realised, maybe. This usually involves corporate take overs or expansion. A start up can expand and move locations and still be a small scale start-up. The start-up I work for spans two countries and receives government funding, it's still in its early evolution though.

My business terminology isn't great tbh, but from what I can see there's not really a cut-off terminology switch, and start-ups can exist at any scale. HL meet the definition quite well and will continue to until there is some big change or take-over and the business vibe changes. This is something most start-ups and HL have said they want to avoid.

I'm sure they've pushed 10's of thousands of GH's at this point
It'd be interesting to see the numbers, I don't think it would be much higher than 10000-15000?

I highly disagree that any customer knows this
It's certainly within their interests and abilities to know that small scale niche electronics are tedious when not from a big name brand. Whether they do or not is at their discretion, but they could and they should know that.

I admit most don't, but, sucks to be them I guess.
What ever happened to common sense.

but how many people actually do any research on anything, let alone a vape pen device.
I would make efforts to never learn the proportion of ignorant ****'s if it could be beyond saturation it surely is lol

I'll be the first to admit to it! We should all

Or they are scrambling and trying to figure out how to make the vape work properly for longer, and don't have a clue.
Software engineering is honestly a nightmare. That's the driving force behind the GH dynamic, and why most developers have been scared away from the formfactor.
Saying they have no clue when they've effectively taken on the challenge to some success is not really a fair wrap.
I've experienced and seen progression. I understand and mentioned before the bubble of new faults from a new firmware, we've seen it a number of different times now with different issues (red then dead anybody?)

Key to hopper success is actually fixing rma's properly and using QC
Yes, that's the key for HL. For the consumers success, rationalising why this thing is worth it and how easy it is to use and get repaired is key.
I personally think that if the dynamic of the hopper is at all desirable, it's a great purchase as long as you realise it won't last forever or even very long at all.
The frustrations it offers me pale in comparison to the dissatisfaction of combustion.
I was reading my initial GH posts yesterday, and I satiated and I still fully believe -

The Grasshopper is the best device for fucking combustion that there ever was.

Cones (Aus bong mix with tobacco) are as addictive as fuck, and the hopper is a reputable answer to beating a serious problem.

Did Caroline not say it was normal?
I really think she didn't say combustion was normal bro, she might lose her job at the vape factory saying things like that!

biohacker

What Caroline and I meant is that temp 3 is a higher temp than it used to be.

It was stated that temp 3 required primer hits (slow heat curve, better accuracy) was now a normal thing due to the algorithms in the adjusted firmware.

Ok, so the 130-210c is out the window now? Or still in effect but temp 3 is no longer 170c yeah? Would be nice to know that they changed things, I wonder if they will re-write the manual.

If I was in the market for a hopper it'd be direct from the Labs unless I was saving beyond the $45 transfer fee.

Yep, you got that right, don't want old stock on this one.

I guess Caroline's comment is open to interpretation, with "sounds like your'e running into combustion at higher temperatures" "this is normal". I guess what is normal is her statement on temp 3 and primer pulls. She should have said combustion is not normal. As for smoldering oils, combustion has occurred in as little as 3 days post RMA. Something is up, and I feel it has to do with underperforming lower temp calibrated anemic GH's, IMO. Now the pendulum has swung the other way.

MonkeyTime

Before we discuss failure rates, let's define failure! Mine still produces vapor, not at the same level consistently, but always to some level.

Last time it was sent it with cop lights, I asked them to also check calibrations or anything else that could cause it to be a cooler running unit (oven, not rear end) . They sent it back saying all's well. I don't agree.

One battery per chamber with a lot of actives still present is not functioning correctly IMO. Tested by throwing my duff into my Mighty and getting full hits at 375F after killing a battery on 5 on the same material.

It's my belief that a good many of these units are underachieving like mine. I have no intentions of sending it in until it's fully dead or falls apart so that I know they'll have to do something to it.

biohacker

It's my belief that a good many of these units are underachieving like mine.

Hear! Hear! Thank you, this is why I referred to @JCat functioning GH as the "golden one". He too knows what a real properly functioning GH should work like. I've experienced what you have with HL sloughing off as well. Alot of GH users seem to be "first time vaporists" as well. That could explain things a little too.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
We hear from very few happy Grasshopper owners unfortunately on this forum. It's a bummer for sure. This thread could be fun if we had more enthusiasm. It's just not there.

If you @biohacker dislike the GH so much, why are you putting yourself through so much frustration and anxiety. Sometimes a vaporizer isn't right and we move on. Especially after so many problems with one type of unit.
i'm one very happy Grasshopper owner, I've followed the thread here from the beginning (until recently) and participated a lot. I was finding great information, discussion, even comaraderie here, then that slowly took a turn.

I agree that there is a ton of repetitive negativity and even a degree of 'piling on' when someone tries to be positive. I feel it's very unfortunate, but this is how the thread flows.

I've taken a T-break (THREAD BREAK) for a few weeks - from the Hopper thread here, and I've been an even happier Hopper owner.

My two have been working great without issue for the past three months, and even as I expect some failure any time now, I have no problems with the company or it's policies. They, imo, are still a fledgling and I did not enter the game expecting a perfect experience.

The actual use of Hopper has exceeded my expectations, and I am more recently finding agreement with @MoltenTiger that it's a wonderful tool for reduction of the volume of material I was going through before. Less is more with cannabis and Hopper supports that well known tenet.

@CarolKing , I've always seen your posts as positive, and I've seen you have skill in mitigating some uneasy situations. I appreciate that. I see you are being told that you need to re-read some posts because you obviously didn't read them or you misinterpreted and because you haven't read the whole thread. To me this appears to be argument for argument's sake.

See y'all in a few weeks.

Top Bottom