Discontinued The Grasshopper

JCat

Accessory Maker
So my SS Hopper is going back for a 3rd RMA (in a row, came back from the 1st two with same problems and some new ones, although some problems partially solved but hardly fixed)

Caroline said she would personally look at this one and expedite it and would recommend a replacement Hopper be sent out. I guess we'll see. I'm kinda' in a pickle, because I really want a working Hopper for when I'm out of town on business for a week (have to do this two weeks a year), unfortunately, if I sent back my SS Hopper today, and everything went perfectly, and they had it for no more than one day in servicing, and they shipped back priority (which they will only do at full price of $45 USD now ... no discount for the $20-$25 free shipping that you are opting out of ... ??????????)

Hopefully they send back my Ti Hopper back actually fixed ASAP as they still have that (since Caroline said she would expedite the SS one I asked her to instead expedite the Ti one ... for the above reason of the SS one being almost impossible to get back to me before I am out of town for a week). We'll see what HL says. Maybe they will be accommodating this time? Maybe they will send my Ti one back priority? Maybe even for free? (I doubt this ... but I like bashing my head against a brick wall asking for reasonable accommodation based on reasonable reasons and getting turned down repeatedly! :lol:)

I'm hopeful based on the way Caroline responded, but that's just the way I am; an optimistic pessimist!

btka

:wave::wave::love::science::leaf:

Others have said so in the past, but no one has not fallen in the "nets" of VC without having at least a decent experience....!! :brow::D

Cooome on man... this is not right!! Whenever you see sth negative being said about HL you pop out to say that you dislike seeing "repetitive" posts and facts and experiences.... Well, you can' t shut people's mouth... that's for sure... and HL should have weighted things better when they made this tremendous expansion/opening, name it however you like, before starting bullshitting people that have actually supported them to the last vapor cloud in the past...now we'll be cynical fuckCombustioners! :razz:... All of us that have been moaning and posting our frustration and/or disappointment in this thread, have actually been adding content and experiences!!
Personally, although my general satisfaction about their CS after having received my hopper cannot make me forget what I've been through so far. Not to mention my friend's experience..
Regardless the pioneer of the vape in stealth factor and vapor production, the flaws have been so many that people don't really want to undergo many things that haven't been sorted out yet.
@GreenHopper @biohacker I'm totally with you guys on this!! Times are hard for many so that they have the ability to spend such money on vapes and other VAS (:brow:) and in addition to that to be ready to pay any postage fees needed for an RMA.
Plus the fact that CS wise, DynaVap rocks!! And it does make a lot of difference knowing that there is an excellent CS along with a very intriguing product!! :rolleyes:
I dare to say that if I had met VapCap earlier, I would have probably delayed my hopper purchase a lot more, maybe I wouldn't have bought it.. who knows... :ninja::whoa:

sorry but you can not compare gh with vapcap
first the vapcap is very simple build the gh is high tech... it is very unusual that the vapcap will fail...
the vapcap is conduction the gh convection...
the draw resistence of the vapcap is very hard/ strong..
and so on and so on you are comparing apples with bananas...
the vapcap is great for what it is... but it is not a gh...
I am using my gh far often then my vapcap...

Anyone try the performance front end yet? I ordered one to try. The idea of much better airflow has me sold.

I can recommend the pfe works great with my bubblers... and yes less draw resistence as long as you do not overfill the gh oven....

Pyr0

Stoned Roses
Still searcing for a small powerful portable.. :rolleyes:
The VapCap didn't do it for me, so thinking of sticking with battery power as they can usually be operated single handed
I was tempted to pick one of these up but all the reports of repeat RMAs are a bit off-putting :(

Hjalmark

Oldest boy alive
The Xtar MC1plus selects charge rate via cell length, meaning it charges the hopper batteries at an 18650 rate (1A).
The original MC1 doesn't do this, and is better suited to the hopper batteries (or any thin, long li-ion cells).

Nitecore is a decent manufacturer, but the tech specs of the Xtar MC2 and MC1 (old version) make them much better suited for hopper batteries.

Fuck.. First I got "screwed" from Ebay UK third-party shipping company that made me pay double the cost of the purchase for shipping, now I learn that I bought the wrong one and should not gone for the cool looking display, also I learned that the ebay auction I won ended up costing 5 bucks more then buying it locally from a shop... I thought I was was saving money!!! :cry:

How bad is it for the battery to charge at that rate? Wondering if the device for different current is mechanical and I could just "hack" it to always charge at 0,5 mA :science:

seaofgreens

My Mind Is Free
Isn't the XL Omni supposed to be the ultimate? Just curious why you don't like it? @Pyr0

GH is just amazing though, especially through a water piece. Mine has been a reliable champ so far since last July.

One thing I have thought a bit about though... I do live in the same state as GH is manufactured, so maybe it is just better designed with my local environment in mind? Who knows, but just a possibility I started thinking about when reading the source extract thread over in the concentrates section.

That design worked great at this altitude/environment and did not elsewhere until adjustments were made.

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
Isn't the XL Omni supposed to be the ultimate? Just curious why you don't like it? @Pyr0

GH is just amazing though, especially through a water piece. Mine has been a reliable champ so far since last July.

One thing I have thought a bit about though... I do live in the same state as GH is manufactured, so maybe it is just better designed with my local environment in mind? Who knows, but just a possibility I started thinking about when reading the source extract thread over in the concentrates section.

That design worked great at this altitude/environment and did not elsewhere until adjustments were made.

I'd say the biggest difference being in the same state as the manufacturers is the shorter journey from them to you. This means less time in the hands of someone who may be doing this:

ObPtMa9.gif

Also reduced shipping costs in the event of RMA time.

I think the reason the Source was affected by altitude is because pressure directly affects the boiling point of liquid and the source is intended to boil off (and recondense) the solvent from the extract.

It's hard to tell how fragile these Hoppers actually are:
  • Is it the QA testing?
  • Is it just the tech is prone to failure?
  • Why are some folk having more issues than others?
  • Are the latest amendments improving reliability at the cost of performance?
  • Are HL's asking these Q's of themselves?
  • Will I ever get a Hopper powered by a MrFusion?

MoltenTiger

Fuck.. First I got "screwed" from Ebay UK third-party shipping company that made me pay double the cost of the purchase for shipping, now I learn that I bought the wrong one and should not gone for the cool looking display, also I learned that the ebay auction I won ended up costing 5 bucks more then buying it locally from a shop... I thought I was was saving money!!! :cry:

How bad is it for the battery to charge at that rate? Wondering if the device for different current is mechanical and I could just "hack" it to always charge at 0,5 mA :science:
I had problems with my first Xtar ebay purchase too (paid for and didn't get express postage).
I didn't mind once I got the product, they're worth the price and more.

In terms of faster rate charging, I don't think it will make a real noticeable difference, being that the cells are a bit random in quality as it is. I found that rate distinction (54mm long battery switch on plus models) when I was buying an MC1, so thought I would share for potential future buyers.

In all honesty, it's been found that the default HL charger pumps out up to 2A(? maybe it was 1.2A?) and fluctuates a lot - so a curve like the MC1plus is probably not that big a deal;
MC1Plus%20(KP14500-08).png

It looks reasonably friendly, and the source had this to say about that particular cycle (800mAh 14500 battery)
"This cell was supposed to be charged at 0.5A, but the 1.5mm thick sensor I stuck between the battery and the charger changed the charging to 1A.
The charging is fine, but current was a bit to high for this cell, due to the sensor. I do not believe this will give problems with protected batteries, except if the trigger point moves a little bit . Protected 14500 is not that long and if a protected 18650 is long enough to trigger 1A, it is acceptable."

Pretty sure the GH cells are protected. (I think they're custom 12630's)

So, it may not be ideal but it also may be ideal, it'll for sure be a nice little charger.
I've just realised the above chart is from the previous version (there are apparently three MC1s), the ANT model still selects rate on cell length, and displays it too. Doesn't have a relative graph but it's a neat option review of charger

ChooChooCharlie

I was pretty darned impressed by the vapor quality and ease of use as demonstrated to me by @ChooChooCharlie
The tip gets hot, but he has a wonderful mouthpiece, that allows you to draw vapor with impunity!

Love these vape toys that FC members invent!! The cooler @Vitolo mentioned is called the TiChillum by @cannabis.pro who most readers will know from the Milaana thread. Quite the craftsman, vaporist and advocate for our herb.

When I was trying to justify the pricey TiChillum, how I just can't handle and clean glass easily, how well the lips naturally kiss the open mouthpiece, how you can draw easier like the PFE, but especially how you can take a huge 30 second rip, and then another.

You then replied with a shortened version of my long winded justifications. A classic @Vitolo quote:

"It lets you take the draw you want."

Slightly different topic - the hookah lip shield I recently posted. Fine as transport goo shields, so resin goo doesn't mess up your pocket or case. Also quite fine as a direct draw shield. Not so good as a silicone on glass seal because of low grade silicone. Tried it as seal in TiChillum in place of stock condom -- direct contact against hot titanium softened the cheap silicone and I could smell a sweet elastomer outgas. Please use stock hopper silicone condom when making seal against metal or glass.

Another different topic - stock charger. I always charge with stock magnetic charger. Use 30 minute countdown timer, seems to top off battery or near top after a session. No battery changes -> less work for you, along with less wear, grime, skin oils etc exposure where all the electrical magic happens, the back end.

ktmstick

If you buy your grasshopper through vapefiend.co.uk then they handle the warranty work so no need to send abroad.

When they get this product right it'll be amazing! I just hope they don't go under from all the repairs they seem to be doing. .

This would be my perfect vape, but I'm not willing to go through sending it in from the UK every time.

I praise the company for aiming to achieve such a great device. Hope they figure it all out before someone else does it better.

Thanks to everyone who leaves their recent hopper experiences . . can't wait to see the day the complaints drop off. . . Just make sure you pop back to tell the rest of us when the issues are finally evaporating :)

JCat

Accessory Maker
If you buy your grasshopper through vapefiend.co.uk then they handle the warranty work so no need to send abroad.
But do they just send abroad? Meaning the wait time is greater even then just dealing with HL yourself? (so save a little money as a trade for longer wait time?)

Or is there an actual repair depot of some sort at vapefiend.co.uk?

Al..

But do they just send abroad? Meaning the wait time is greater even then just dealing with HL yourself? (so save a little money as a trade for longer wait time?)

Or is there an actual repair depot of some sort at vapefiend.co.uk?
The turn around is much quicker. Vapefined just wait from the ok from hopper lab's then send the new part out to you.

Pyr0

Stoned Roses
It is definately small and powerful @Pyr0!
Small and powerful are good :)
Add reliability and take my money lol :nod:

I don't like having to use 2 hands to heat/use it.
It's too easy to combust.
Decided I'm not a big fan of butane.
I'm also not fond of people telling me I look like i'm using a crack pipe lol.
At least with the Air or even the Mighty, people just think it's a fancy ecig and don't give it a second glance.

ktmstick

Agreed, never really gelled with my vapcap, too much faffing and you need to concentrate or you pay the penalty!

At least with the Air or even the Mighty, people just think it's a fancy ecig and don't give it a second glance.

Mr. Me2

Have you seen @Pipes heater for the vapcap? That might solve this issue for you.

Oops...didn't realize this is the gh thread. Don't want to derail this thread...

JCat

Accessory Maker
Just want to point something out in regards to charging using the stock charger ... many have commented on the concerns of the charge rate (which can be upwards of 1.5A) ... one solution to this is to plug it into a 0.5A USB port limiting the max charge rate. Simple solution and what I do. I also use my Nitecore D2 but find the convenience of the stock charger great unless I'm having multiple back-to-back sessions (more than 2 bowls).

Baron23

Look, I know that our friend and valued contributor to this thread is a fan of Xtar and a fan of very low charging current but most articles on Li ion battery charging use a term (can't remember the variable they used for it so let's just us C for charge) for a good safe charging current based on discharge capacity.

So, a 750 mAH battery is just fine being charged at 750 mA. My Nitecore, with a single GH battery in for charging, was charging at an about 550 mA rate when I looked the other day.

I get it...we all want to treat our vape stuff with care and consideration. But I do think we tend to go a bit beyond just prudent sometimes. But we all have opinions, eh? LOL

Anyone try the performance front end yet? I ordered one to try. The idea of much better airflow has me sold.
Yes, and I like it. Worth it to me for putting on glass. NOT a good native MP IMO as the SS gets really hot IME.

JCat

Accessory Maker
NOT a good native MP IMO as the SS gets really hot IME.
Just want to add something here ... on my SS Hopper, that currently the back end gets burning hot, the SS PFE gets unusably hot after maybe 2 pulls. Then takes forever to cool down to take the 3rd and 4th hit.

My Ti Hopper though, that ran cool on the outside but much hotter as far as vapour delivery (my SS is struggling to produce more than light vapor and my Ti could easily milk any size water tool), you could easily finish a bowl with 4 to 5 hits (give or take), and the PFE would never get more than warm. Could easily put it in your lips with no discomfort at any point in the session.

So the temperature of the PFE (and thus it's usability as a dry and cool mouthpiece) is quite dependent on your Hopper!

Baron23

Just want to add something here ... on my SS Hopper, that currently the back end gets burning hot, the SS PFE gets unusably hot after maybe 2 pulls. Then takes forever to cool down to take the 3rd and 4th hit.

My Ti Hopper though, that ran cool on the outside but much hotter as far as vapour delivery (my SS is struggling to produce more than light vapor and my Ti could easily milk any size water tool), you could easily finish a bowl with 4 to 5 hits (give or take), and the PFE would never get more than warm. Could easily put it in your lips with no discomfort at any point in the session.

So the temperature of the PFE (and thus it's usability as a dry and cool mouthpiece) is quite dependent on your Hopper!
Wow, my GH is a Bronze Ti and the back end has never gotten the least bit warm. My Hopper has run consistently now for nine months but I don't have any way of knowing if my unit runs hotter than most. I run at about 4.1 - 4.2 on the temp dial and that does extract the goods.

Thanks!

JCat

Accessory Maker
Wow, my GH is a Bronze Ti and the back end has never gotten the least bit warm. My Hopper has run consistently now for nine months but I don't have any way of knowing if my unit runs hotter than most. I run at about 4.1 - 4.2 on the temp dial and that does extract the goods.

Thanks!
If your back-end got hot (like mine gets hot on my SS hopper), you would know it's too hot. There is no doubt. Within 5 seconds, I would say someone with sensitive fingers could burn themselves with blistering ... I'd say within about 10 I'm there and I can hold my hands for way too long in unbelievably hot temperatures from decades of cleaning pipes and water bongs in super hot water :)

Mr Mellish

If your back-end got hot (like mine gets hot on my SS hopper), you would know it's too hot. There is no doubt. Within 5 seconds, I would say someone with sensitive fingers could burn themselves with blistering ... I'd say within about 10 I'm there and I can hold my hands for way too long in unbelievably hot temperatures from decades of cleaning pipes and water bongs in super hot water :)

Exactly. You would know. My Ti does not get hot but the SS gets blazing hot. I think it would leave a welt.

guyonthecouch

Thanks!
Neither did my Ti.. the hot back end issue seems to be isolated to SS(my guess work). The back end is slightly different, SS is all one piece and the Ti is two pieces. Ti band wrapped around more Ti or maybe SS not sure.

Any reports of a Ti with the hot back end issue??

Last edited:
Top Bottom