1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

The Grasshopper

Discussion in 'Portable Vaporizers' started by midgetsanchez, Jun 8, 2015.

1. GreenHopper

GreenHopper 20 going on 60

MoltenTiger, Vapor_Eyes and Vape Dr. like this.
  2. diandiandian

diandiandian Member

Meaning it will reset the 18 sec, whenever you take draws?

3. GreenHopper

I believe so, that seems to be how mine behaves but it has to be a fairly steady draw. If you ar just sipping on the device then the draw is too weak for the sensor.

4. diandiandian

diandiandian Member

Thanks for the info. I think grasshopper hit very hard.

5. GreenHopper

You are most welcome buddy. And yes the GH hits like a freight train, that's why we love it :razz:

6. Vape Dr.

Vape Dr. Well-Known Member

I just had to take a pic of me walking my dog with hopper in hand in this mystical magical winter wonderland! :)

[​IMG]

My Grasshopper is the perfect cure for cold weather! :D

7. diandiandian

diandiandian Member

The hopper lab said don't vape below 32 and above 90. :(

8. diandiandian

diandiandian Member

Harder than my Herbalizer even at high tempt. Weird...

MoltenTiger and btka like this.
  9. JCat

JCat Well-Known Member

Does it say that in the manual? That would make it useless as a portable for me 75% of the time! That's crazy restrictive ... would mean don't use from start of Oct to Apr-May where I am ... than a lot of days in Jul to Aug for the opposite reason of it being too hot out ....!!!

Edit: it's a spring and fall vaporizer only????

Hjalmark, stark1 and Receptor like this.
  10. diandiandian

diandiandian Member

[​IMG]

Here

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2017
    Vapor_Eyes, GreenHopper and Receptor like this.
  11. JCat

JCat Well-Known Member

Well then ... not going to stop using it below 0C as that is when it is most useful to me. (Ie. to quickly heat up for a few hits outside an arena for example where I am most weekends from Sep to Apr.) Why would I need an on demand pen vape for indoor at home use??? It's primary use for me is as above or with a water tool outside a hotel also below 0.

12. GreenHopper

Below 0°c and you are going to be working the heater and batteries much harder as the device has to bring the ambient temp up further. However I've seen a few people using it in obviously below freezing conditions.

Like @Vape Dr. for example ;)

A few others have posted using their hoppers while skiing.

I think as long as you keep the hopper in an inside jacket pocket so the device and batteries don't drop below 0°c then I think the only downside to drawing in air that is below 0°c will be additional drain on the battery so less pulls/bowls per charge.

In regards to the max temp of 32°c :shrug: I live in the UK so thats about 1-2 weeks for me :(

Hjalmark, JCat, Mr. Me2 and 3 others like this.
  13. spoutti

spoutti Well-Known Member

Iirc, a blog post citing we can use the gh in the cold. Here it is.

https://www.grasshoppervape.com/blog/grasshopper-batteries/

they talk about how the cold affect the battery

"The Hopper is built to withstand the winter weather, and we recommend enjoying it responsibly while you're out and about this winter season!"

Vapor_Eyes, JCat and Vape Dr. like this.
  14. biohacker

biohacker Fucking Combustion Since 2006

GRASSHOPPER BATTERIES
    It’s getting colder, and snow has finally arrived in Colorado! Tis the season to prepare for the holidays, which a Hopper can certainly help with ;) . Since many of us intend to get outside this winter, we’re taking the time this post to discuss the Hopper’s battery performance and the effects of cold weather.

The Hopper’s battery is a custom designed lithium-ion cell. The size and shape are non-standard, which you might find annoying. We chose to go this route to maximize the size of the battery without making the device any bigger. The Hopper was designed to be small, and there wasn’t a standard size that fit our parameters.

The battery is also a custom formulated chemistry that we worked with the factory to develop. The Hopper requires a high discharge battery to feed its 45-watt heater the power it needs. Your cell phone or laptop uses power at a slower rate compared to how large the battery is, making it much easier to produce. With the Hopper, we have a small package and need all the power out quickly, which is the most challenging type of battery to create.

We often get comments that the battery life on the Hopper is not as good as on other devices, and while that might be true, this is a trade-off between performance and size. With the Hopper, you can easily swap the battery on the go. If you use your power wisely, turning the device on and off between every hit, you can vape an enormous amount of herbs on a single charge.

Back to the cold weather! The cold means two things for your Hopper:

1. The battery will be cold when you start it up.
    2. The air being heated by the device starts at a much cooler temperature.

A cold battery is an unhappy battery. Battery performance, in general, is worse when the battery is cold. If it is below 40 degrees and your Hopper is giving you the low battery indication when you first start it up, then you might want to pop your battery out and warm it in your hands for a few minutes. Once your Hopper is ready to rock, know that it is working double-time to warm up the icy cold air entering your device. Heating up cold air takes more energy and will result in shorter battery life.

In extremely frigid temps, your Hopper might display red and blue flashing lights. Warm it up in your pocket for a few minutes, and you’ll be ready to go.

The Hopper is built to withstand the winter weather, and we recommend enjoying it responsibly while you're out and about this winter season!

MoltenTiger, vapviking, Hogni and 6 others like this.
  15. spoutti

spoutti Well-Known Member

I love the fc gh community. Informative, full of personnal exp, and quickness ;) @biohacker

16. diandiandian

diandiandian Member

Guys, I try to use the GH with Herbalizer steam roller. It's amazing.

17. diandiandian

diandiandian Member

I realized the nitcore charger is not a perfect fit, it's normal? Using the nitcore intelligent i2 #2016 model.

MountainManGuy and GreenHopper like this.
  18. GreenHopper

Personally I use the xTar VC2 but I know a lot of people use the Nitecore's (i2 + i4) and are happy with them.

Actually I've stopped using my VC2 and now tend to just leave my hopper on the OEM charger.

mephisto likes this.
  19. diandiandian

diandiandian Member

So do I need to set the output voltage anything, or just insert the battery in and let it do its work. I see there is 3.7v 4.2 4.35v, if I use 4.2v what will happen? Sorry for weird question

20. GreenHopper

It's worth having a read from this post onwards as people were discussing their experiences with the Nitecore and other chargers.

Basically you need to charge the batteries up to 4.2v.

I believe the Nitecore (remember I have an xTar so I'm just going on what I've read about the Nitecore) will automatically detect and set the charge target (4.2v) for you.

I think the only thing you can change is the rate at which the Nitecore charges (I believe 300mah or 500mAh). I personally don't believe it makes any difference as to the longevity or health of the hoppers batteries which setting you go for, others disagree. All I can tell you is the OEM charger runs at 500mAh.

I believe it was @MoltenTiger or @biohacker that noted how topping the batteries off with the OEM charger for 5-10mins before hitting it gave them a better experience. I'm not 100% sure but I think this is because the OEM charger pushes for a charge target of 4.25v which gives just that little extra kick for a huge cloudy initial hit.

Me personally, I can't be bothered worrying about any of this stuff, I just leave my hopper on the OEM charger all the time so the battery (GHB1) is constantly topped off. When my friends come on over I break out the xTar VC2.

21. voodoo_vape

voodoo_vape Vapour RebeL

bare in mind that the usb charger "fully charges" the battety, whereas nitecore allows a small kinda buffer.. I've never seen 4.2V after a full charge with my nitecore D4.. I also haven't used my usb charger.. ever so far.. So in the long term, I'm not sure that charging your batteries to their limits is a good idea. Many people have complained for shorter battery life spans after some time. Maybe they were using the usb charger..

I'm sure that other fellow FCers will enlighten us once again with some battery juicy info!!

Mr. Me2, Vapor_Eyes and GreenHopper like this.
  22. GreenHopper

That's why I opted for the xTar, people were reporting a more consistent result of 4.2V. However I hardly use it these days as the OEM charger works best for me.

Regarding overcharging, remember the batteries were made by HL, so was the OEM charger, in my mind following the manufacturer's exact recommended process seems to get me the best results.

Also if I have to replace a few $7 batteries once every 6-12month then that's what I'll do. These batteries are driven hard and regular replacement is kinda part of the deal really.

Mr. Me2, Vapor_Eyes, Receptor and 2 others like this.
  23. voodoo_vape

voodoo_vape Vapour RebeL

well.. I'm not sure that I can feel the same way like you do with HL.. although they have developed a really radical product, I don't think think that they've mastered all possible faults and errors.. they've definitely made some serious progress..
    On the same context, don't forget that those batteries don't even have a CE certification, another fellow EU hopperhead had some issues on the german boarders. Also, don't forget that their 1st charger was faulty, hence I'm not using mine although it's the new version.

I must agree that they only cost $7 and you can have several rotating..

Carlos8400 and MoltenTiger like this.
  24. invertedisdead

invertedisdead trance-form

I still think not basing the design around an 18650 is a huge oversight. I wish they would make a 510 atomizer with their 3D printed heater tech :science: that would be a GAME CHANGER!

biohacker likes this.
  25. MoltenTiger

MoltenTiger Well-Known Member

It is a fact that increased charging rate causes more degradation to the battery chemicals potential. However the extent that it affects the life span is unmeasured for the hoppers batteries, but the rated charge cycle is already quite bad.
    Whether or not that's important to the user is only relative to their own ideals and situations.
    But in terms of spreading fact, it's a point worth considering.

It's also worth pointing out that the OEM charger doesn't charge at a constant current as previously assumed, but has been measured to fluctuate up to a 1.2A rate.
    Constant current charging at this rate is worse than occasional peaks, but it's also worth being aware of this.

The OEM charger does seem to be better for longevity than external charging, though I can only compare with 1A CC (1.25C) charging which isn't recommendable anyway. Xtar seems to be the way to go if you don't already have a charger. (It matches the specs of the external charger HL recommended whilst being available to non-US customers/can be used via USB portably).

In terms of charging batteries in the hopper after inserting one taken from a wall charger, this isn't good practice.
    It basically just uses up finite charge cycles.
    The user who brought this up was using a Nitecore D4 and it took 15 minutes or something for the OEM charger to top up to full capacity, indicating that their external charger was undercharging. This means they'll see a performance boost from double charging, and that it might not be bad for batteries (Li-ion has no memory).
    Batteries from my Xtar MC2 charge up on the OEM charger in a matter of seconds, perhaps a minute if it has been sitting (discharging). There might be performance benefit to doing this, but from what I have observed from subtle firmware changes I'd doubt it now.

Yeah that's it, $35 a year is my expected battery budget.

The batteries cost HL $5, so for $7 HL is being pretty kind - they hate proprietary cells too (Trevor, Reddit)
    Might be some good insight for those wanting 18650s (Selectively avoided by the designers).
    Yes a 510 mod would be very cool, but it would need to be entirely custom. To which so is the hopper. I think extra capacity would mean more expensive cells with similar life-span

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors