Discontinued The Grasshopper

MoltenTiger

Has anyone used PBW to clean their mouth piece? Is it safe to do so?
Yes I have.
It works perfectly for the plain metal options.

Do not use PBW with coloured units or it will strip the anodised finish.

Hot water rinse/scape
PBW Soak (1-10 minutes max)
Hot water rinse/scrape
PBW soak
Hot water rinse/scrape/pipecleaning
IPA rinse
Hot water rinse

Now it's spotless, blow air through chamber-side until water stops coming out the MP hole.
Microfibre wipe the inside/screen
Good to go!

I've yet to try cleaning the silicone MP with PBW, soon I will give it a test

You had a big bowl and 90w there lol with 2x GH
Not to mention some excellent Missing in Barcelona grown by my green thumb mate.
Could have also been some Current Kush on one side, can't remember now.
Two units for two strains though, it makes sense.

Herb quality is the real way to get big clouds, though the hopper beats nearly any vape for cloudage when the herb is equal

Also, check out the claisen thread, there's a little bit of experimenting there
Here was my submission;
15sakxh.jpg

Last edited:

vapviking

Old & In the Way
So it looks like my 3 RMA GH's are on their way back to me! So all in all took them exactly the business week to process, which is more than acceptable especially since it included some back and forth dialogue (thanks for the tips on how @vapviking!) and purchase of the 3 allowed free shipping batteries. All 3 GH's are getting new backends and my og ti is getting a new front end as well (stripped threads).

Just this morning my SS was intermittently going straight to blue no heat, so i'm hoping the RMA's arrive before the SS goes! Can't wait....new backends and new batteries oh my!

Another night with an incredible GH experience....I now appreciate a finer grind for the super easy dense clouds, and very lightly filled for superior airflow and bong snapping ability! I was finding it was defeating me every single time I filled up the bowl too much! Love ripping the hopper in one go with glass!

Warranty experience was awesome!! My biggest fear (that they thought they worked to spec) was a waste of time! If you have a burning hot end, send it in! Thanks @guyonthecouch for convincing me to RMA them with your insider info! ;-)
Glad to hear your hoppers will soon be back in action. I agree the warranty process is super smooth, including the customer interface aspects. Does tend to lead to a 'Caroline as AI" theory, but...

I sent a Ti in for cop lights. Put it in mail this past Tuesday. HL notified me on Friday morning that it had been repaired (Caroline said. "I have repaired your Grasshopper") and had gone into 'final testing'??? But no mail confirmation yet. Still, very fast so far, as all my claims have been.

The day after I mailed Ti in, my SS went "straight to blue" prompting me to make another rma, but next day it worked fine again. Then again yesterday, straight to blue, even after new battery and a charge. This morning (after a night on oem charger) it's working just fine. When Ti gets back to me I'll send this fussy one in. It is claim #10 between these two.

My friend has a hopper now, Pax 2 and the Mighty. He's very happy with the Mighty/GH combo and barely uses his Pax now. Can't really go wrong, but if you're a true combustion fucker, one GH is not enough but at least one is a necessity IMO
This is my lineup (except 2 hoppers not one). I feel the same way about them. Lately a morning round (for two) involves a sesh on Mighty with water with a Hopper bowl on 5 with water tool either before or after Mighty. Pax2 sits at the ready but almost never gets the nod.

biohacker

I saw some milking vids looked like my herbo on 10 with kief

Is this the Herbo Classic or the newly released Herbo Ti that I must have?

rom my limited experience, I'd say there is quite a difference between the Mighty flavour and the GH flavour, the Mighty is very tasty, and it's flavour lasts the bowl.

Even though I love you bro, I disagree with you here....the Mighty flavour is affected by conduction and its flavour tanks south fast IMO. Especially at the upper temps. I do not miss my Mighty's nor Crafty's since getting the GH's, even though I had a relapse for a short stint with the Mighty Medic. It is voodoo how the GH can milk and the Mighty with convection AND conduction cannot match its vapour density!

With the GH, the flavour is perhaps tastier (subjectively) on low temps, but even on low temps, and especially on high temps, the flavour degrades rather quickly.
I find it tastes quite savoury towards the end of the bowl, but I can see how some people would think it tastes bad.

This I think depends on the GH! My older GH's are incredible, they never overcook a bowl even on 5, unless i'm purposely drawing super slow. The flavour is incredible, even on 5 from start to finish unless i'm "overclocking" my draw, again intentionally. My 2 newer GH's (in RMA with hot backends) would over-roast a bowl on 5 very easily and it didn't taste very good. I still much prefer my GH's flavour profile over the "heated up" bowl of the Mighty, but everyone has different tastes. I seem to always be able to detect the subtle pyrolysis notes from the conduction ring.

I've never notice this happen with mine.

I'm sure most don't, and i'm a rarity. I also vape under a light and when I load my GH I tap the sides in order for the herb to fall down so I can get more in. When I do this, i'm certain that kief and trichs fall down to the bottom, into the depths of the heater, and then when I fire it up on 5, I can see that little teeny wisp come out the intake holes.

@rodders83 I don't have a Mighty but one time I used my two Grasshoppers with an E-Nano. It was intense, to say the least.

I bet! Next time you gotta try a bigger more badass water tool and take a video! :rockon:

Caroline said. "I have repaired your Grasshopper") and had gone into 'final testing'??? But no mail confirmation yet. Still, very fast so far, as all my claims have been.

I had the exact same message and final testing spiel, from the AI. That few days took a solid 3-4 days so you should get an email with tracking link shortly. My only real complaint was when I placed my order for batteries it somehow took over my postal code and automatically filled in incorrect address information, so my anxiety went into high gear that I wouldn't receive them. I couldn't phone HL so the best I thought I would do is start another dialogue in the warranty box to let Caroline know. I didn't hear anything back, but I am sure it was read so hopefully everything arrives together as it should. Hopefully when they go mainstream retail they will invest and get at least a voice mailbox. With luck i'll have my 3 returned hoppers by next friday! Sooooo stoked!

The day after I mailed Ti in, my SS went "straight to blue" prompting me to make another rma, but next day it worked fine again. Then again yesterday, straight to blue, even after new battery and a charge. This morning (after a night on oem charger) it's working just fine.

I've been getting the straight to blue here and there lately too...not incredibly nervous because I have some other vapes but just interesting why it's come up again lately?

Also I just wanted to add that the radiant heat is intense in that bowl because my new technique has been clicking off the GH just when i'm on the verge of whitewall, and after I click that heat off I STILL KEEP getting some pretty thick and insane vapour for quite a while....several seconds at least.

I'm also noticing extremely similar type cloudage density when on temp 4 too.... fine grind is the key, and awesome flowers.

MoltenTiger

Even though I love you bro, I disagree with you here....the Mighty flavour is affected by conduction and its flavour tanks south fast IMO. Especially at the upper temps. I do not miss my Mighty's nor Crafty's since getting the GH's, even though I had a relapse for a short stint with the Mighty Medic. It is voodoo how the GH can milk and the Mighty with convection AND conduction cannot match its vapour density!

This I think depends on the GH! My older GH's are incredible, they never overcook a bowl even on 5, unless i'm purposely drawing super slow. The flavour is incredible, even on 5 from start to finish unless i'm "overclocking" my draw, again intentionally. My 2 newer GH's (in RMA with hot backends) would over-roast a bowl on 5 very easily and it didn't taste very good. I still much prefer my GH's flavour profile over the "heated up" bowl of the Mighty, but everyone has different tastes. I seem to always be able to detect the subtle pyrolysis notes from the conduction ring.
Well like I said, I have very limited experience with the Mighty.
Initially it was on low temp, around 175, and I remember taking the first toke and thinking the flavour was the best I'd ever tasted*. Prior to this I was stoked with the GH flavour wise (especially compared to the EQ), I am still happy with the hoppers flavour, but I think it could be 'better' (although perhaps not, without sacrificing cloud density).

I really roast my herb first toke with the hopper, so with all my bodies I've noticed similar profile: amazing or savoury and baked. I don't micro-vape often enough to notice great flavour from multiple hits, and when I'm hitting directly whilst walking, it's pretty hot and definitely tapers away from the early tastier hits.

But, if the Mighty actually tapers off too, then I need to give one another go.

*I was actually really disappointed by this

Last edited:

JoeMama

Hot water rinse/scape
PBW Soak (1-10 minutes max)
Hot water rinse/scrape
PBW soak
Hot water rinse/scrape/pipecleaning
IPA rinse
Hot water rinse

Molten, you're a wealth of helpful info, thanks!
I'm assuming that PBW would be added to "hot" water for the cleanings?

I'm sure most don't, and i'm a rarity. I also vape under a light and when I load my GH I tap the sides in order for the herb to fall down so I can get more in. When I do this, i'm certain that kief and trichs fall down to the bottom, into the depths of the heater, and then when I fire it up on 5, I can see that little teeny wisp come out the intake holes.

Bio, I'd missed a couple of pages of posts over the past week, but from what I've gleaned, the "seeing smoke before/upon blue lights" had launched a discussion about conductivity versus convection. I hadn't thought about kief on the heater surface, mainly because I haven't had this happen (yet?)

To determine, have you done a burn-off with no herb to remove whatever may be on the heater surface?

MoltenTiger

Molten, you're a wealth of helpful info, thanks!
I'm assuming that PBW would be added to "hot" water for the cleanings?

Bio, I'd missed a couple of pages of posts over the past week, but from what I've gleaned, the "seeing smoke before/upon blue lights" had launched a discussion about conductivity versus convection. I hadn't thought about kief on the heater surface, mainly because I haven't had this happen (yet?)

To determine, have you done a burn-off with no herb to remove whatever may be on the heater surface?
thanks man :)
Yeah absolutely, the hottest you can get! (albeit I haven't tested, but for every 10 deg c the chemical rate should double, so cranking it is a time saver)

I just boil the kettle, fill a glass with a very small amount of PBW (1/10th tsp) and top it off with boiled water, then drop the MP in. I usually give it a good swirl around too which quickly rids all the tiny particles from inside the MP.
The screen will need a little assistance from either side with a tooth pick and then a pipecleaner, or similar.
This technique cleans the MP so well, it's the best solution when avoiding removing the MP screen but still chasing a perfect clean. It's very, very close.
The first time I did this, the IPA rinse showed a tiny amount of extra particles and slight discolouration, but the last time I did it (much closer to the last time I cleaned than before [which was 1-2 months]) the alcohol was particle free and didn't show any colour change, so I believe I achieved the ultimate clean.

On the note with vapour leaking out the air holes.
I would say for sure, 30% THC buds have a big role in this.
I've had it, but very rarely.
It's more common to see it with very dank bud and whilst inserting the heating up hopper onto glass, or such that air is backflowed through the device.

If the chamber has combusted the air flow as you move it around seeps smoke out the holes, it's the same for vapour but dense early emission means D A N K

P.S. Don't know if you knew I'd had combustion @biohacker or others, as it was ages ago with my original unit. Sensor died, and the hopper was overclocked. This happened to a few lucky people, holy shit when this thing is bordering combustion with manual control it is a beast. Like that new Magic Flight concoction shot down here, unhealthy but pretty fucking awesome.

I'd like a Milaana to do this kind of thing, but it kind of defeats the purpose of vaping whilst not offering properly what smoking does. It was pretty fun milking bubblers for a while til it finally became too hard to avoid cop lights/overheating. The replacement was a lot tastier but hazy.

And on another note, I'm noticing some kind of second click like symptoms today...

Last edited:

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
I bet! Next time you gotta try a bigger more badass water tool and take a video! :rockon:

That's actually my biggest water tool, a D020-D. I tend to like smaller pieces. I still don't want a really big piece, but I think you just gave me a good reason to get a Hydrafoot base for my Honeycomb Hydratube.

I sent a Ti in for cop lights. Put it in mail this past Tuesday. HL notified me on Friday morning that it had been repaired (Caroline said. "I have repaired your Grasshopper") and had gone into 'final testing'

I had the exact same message and final testing spiel, from the AI. That few days took a solid 3-4 days so you should get an email with tracking link shortly.

I had to send in my Ti Grasshopper for testing in October. Caroline sent me the initial warranty return instructions, but Trevor sent me the next message explaining that they replaced my backend and would update the new serial number in my account.

My only other warranty request was the slow red/blue flashing lights. Hopper Labs sent a replacement body, after I received it I sent the old one back. In this instance I only had one initial message from Caroline, everything after that point was handled without further communication.

It seems that Caroline handles all initial contact, and they have at least one more employee in the actual testing and repair department.

My hopper (Ti) died Monday, just like @vapviking's. I didn't send it out until Wednesday, and I sent it the slowest option, so it probably didn't arrive at Hopper Labs until Saturday. It will be interesting to see who sends the final message regarding the repair.

Last edited:

JoeMama

thanks man :)
Yeah absolutely, the hottest you can get! (albeit I haven't tested, but for every 10 deg c the chemical rate should double, so cranking it is a time saver)

I just boil the kettle, fill a glass with a very small amount of PBW (1/10th tsp) and top it off with boiled water, then drop the MP in. I usually give it a good swirl around too which quickly rids all the tiny particles from inside the MP.
The screen will need a little assistance from either side with a tooth pick and then a pipecleaner, or similar.
This technique cleans the MP so well, it's the best solution when avoiding removing the MP screen but still chasing a perfect clean. It's very, very close.
The first time I did this, the IPA rinse showed a tiny amount of extra particles and slight discolouration, but the last time I did it (much closer to the last time I cleaned than before [which was 1-2 months]) the alcohol was particle free and didn't show any colour change, so I believe I achieved the ultimate clean.

On the note with vapour leaking out the air holes.
I would say for sure, 30% THC buds have a big role in this.
I've had it, but very rarely.
It's more common to see it with very dank bud and whilst inserting the heating up hopper onto glass, or such that air is backflowed through the device.

If the chamber has combusted the air flow as you move it around seeps smoke out the holes, it's the same for vapour but dense early emission means D A N K

P.S. Don't know if you knew I'd had combustion @biohacker or others, as it was ages ago with my original unit. Sensor died, and the hopper was overclocked. This happened to a few lucky people, holy shit when this thing is bordering combustion with manual control it is a beast. Like that new Magic Flight concoction shot down here, unhealthy but pretty fucking awesome.

I'd like a Milaana to do this kind of thing, but it kind of defeats the purpose of vaping whilst not offering properly what smoking does. It was pretty fun milking bubblers for a while til it finally became too hard to avoid cop lights/overheating. The replacement was a lot tastier but hazy.

And on another note, I'm noticing some kind of second click like symptoms today...

Once again, thanks..
A

A few days ago I was going to post something about the double-click thing; totally forgot til you mentioned it again... So, like @biohacker I've also had this weirdness going on, seemingly pretty consistently (>50% of the time).

Well, just the other day, and now it's been at last 5 batteries-full of use, but this fuckin' thing is performing great again.

I've done NOTHING, no cleaning, no after-burn on empty chambers, same batteries.

All I can say is :shrug:

biohacker

I did not, but just have.... I did get a bunch of "bonus hits" but then realized there was a very small amount in material stuck on the front end screen! After removed, I still was getting some "bonus hits", so this could very well be the reason, however it's not something i've noticed very often, just something I have noticed from time to time. I think that is what led to the conduction discussion.

they replaced my backend and would update the new serial number in my account.

I noticed that! Two of my backends are now in the 8000 range (formerly 5000) and one of them went backwards to 4000 range lol

All I can say is :shrug:

Tell me about it!!! For some reason it's something that has now been happening less frequently so very puzzling.... VERY! But so glad i'm not alone :) Maybe the new backends will make a difference (I hope).

JoeMama

Oh, great. What serial #? Hmmm...maybe it's a body issue...contact at the bottom of the battery? I noticed that mine has taken a bit of wear just from the battery making contact with it over time.

The SN is 006189. While the dial is still nice and smooth, there is a tiny bit of play in the "lateral" (as opposed to "turning") directions. At any point along the perimeter of the dial, pushing the dial in toward the center clicker produces an inaudible "click" feeling. VERY slight, but I've noticed this on the other backend(s). And it's a little "crunchy" feeling at the T4.5-T5 area.

It's entirely superstition, but I tend to fidget the dial slightly (worried about battery rubbing on inside contact too much) before I hit it.

biohacker

The SN is 006189. While the dial is still nice and smooth, there is a tiny bit of play in the "lateral" (as opposed to "turning") directions. At any point along the perimeter of the dial, pushing the dial in toward the center clicker produces an inaudible "click" feeling. VERY slight, but I've noticed this on the other backend(s). And it's a little "crunchy" feeling at the T4.5-T5 area.

I noticed this with the newer hoppers I Rma'd. And with my present og backer hopper if I push in the back end temp collar, it moves a good bit....I pretty much have to push it in to be able to turn it, it's that stiff.

I've never notice this happen with mine.

I'm sure most don't, and i'm a rarity.

I also can hear my herb "crackling" at the initial stage of the hit.... when I vape, there is no other time where i'm more in the moment!

JoeMama

I noticed this with the newer hoppers I Rma'd. And with my present og backer hopper if I push in the back end temp collar, it moves a good bit....I pretty much have to push it in to be able to turn it, it's that stiff.

I also can hear my herb "crackling" at the initial stage of the hit.... when I vape, there is no other time where i'm more in the moment!

I have had that little crackly but one or two times - and it was always after a cleaning... perhaps didn't let it dry enough on the inside screen. But yeah, it gets your attention alright!

Hey guys! New to the hopper here. I know this varies but how many hits do you get out of your GH from one bowl and at what temps? I still need to do some experimenting but I'm used to the session vape, the Xmax and my AVB would come out evenly and a solid dark brown. Not so with my hopper. I probably need to hit it more...maybe till there's no more vapor.

I know I need to do some more experimenting but wondering what others experience with the GH has been.

Ineedmedicine,

biohacker

I have had that little crackly but one or two times - and it was always after a cleaning... perhaps didn't let it dry enough on the inside screen. But yeah, it gets your attention alright!

No my friend, I am referring to the crackling sound of the the trichs boiling off :) The only other vape where i've heard this has been the e-nano. It's orgasmic. Coincidentally, both provide a similar extremely dense opaque vapour output with small quantities...

JoeMama

No my friend, I am referring to the crackling sound of the the trichs boiling off :) The only other vape where i've heard this has been the e-nano. It's orgasmic. Coincidentally, both provide a similar extremely dense opaque vapour output with small quantities...
Ah, OK... I have not had the pleasure of such crackling. But perhaps, someday :razz:

MoltenTiger

The best is when there's a seed in the bowl and it explodes, just like back in smoking days.
But yeah, the fact you can hear the GH work is pretty impressive.

Hey guys! New to the hopper here. I know this varies but how many hits do you get out of your GH from one bowl and at what temps? I still need to do some experimenting but I'm used to the session vape, the Xmax and my AVB would come out evenly and a solid dark brown. Not so with my hopper. I probably need to hit it more...maybe till there's no more vapor.

I know I need to do some more experimenting but wondering what others experience with the GH has been.
Generally at least 3, but more if temp stepping. Very much material dependant too, and I'm talking hits from the bong (big hits).
In order to get very dark ABV you'll need to continue using the chamber, perhaps for twice as long as you are now. The last few hits will be very whispy, if you have a light you can breathe out under, it will make it easier to see when to stop toking, but the chamber can be nearly blackened.
It's not really necessary to push it to that extent with convection oriented heat though, as you get the majority of the desirables off-gassed in the first two hits. Even after the ABV is black there is still actives left in it, just as there are actives left in the sooty death found in combustion piece downstems.
It is fair to say it's not worth worrying about trying to absorb everything, as it is technically impossible without doing a post ABV solvent extraction.
You'll get so many more actives in a fresh hit than you would trying to blacken ABV, so it's easy to be less particular about blasting the crap out of a chamber.

The other thing I'm noticing is, if bud has been cured properly then it is much harder to make dark ABV with it, it tends to stay golden/husky brown. It also vapes the best, and the oil residue it leaves behind is honey-like in appearance. With some herb that's been grown for profit (and badly, very common around here) it will get really dark and leave a darker oil residue in glass, taste worse and hurt if breathed out the nose.
Growers who take pride in their yield and know how and why to cure, their bud just doesn't have the sugar and chlorophyll content to burn out of it resulting in a cleaner, tastier, more potent vapour and lighter but still relatively deplete ABV.

Plus, as the hopper is conduction and has an extremely even chamber temperature, there is no surface scorching (230 deg c +). This is a big reason why a lot of vapes get dark, but uneven ABV - especially conduction vapes. Vapes that perform this way require stirring to obtain even ABV, where the GH does not overly benefit from stirring.

Finally, it is possible that there is a performance issue, dodgy components can prevent the hopper working properly, which of course effects ABV. If that's the case, the vapour output will be severely lacking too.

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds

I agree completely, these are the only vapes I have heard that crackling. I actually heard the crackling with my SS Grasshopper today. I always get a really good hit when I hear the crackle.

Snap crackle pop... nice ABV (Rice Krispies)? Pay no attention to me, I'm way too Hopped right now, it's been a glorious day!

@MoltenTiger; I couldn't agree more in regards to color of ABV and quality of extraction. Getting your ABV really dark may not be worth the battery power required only to get a couple of whispy hits. As a primarily convection vaporizer, it doesn't get ABV as dark as conduction in general, but to get it as dark as possible involves using battery power unnecessarily for a hit that ends up unsatisfactory anyways. Better to load up a fresh chamber and save your ABV for later in my opinion.

MoltenTiger

@Vapor_Eyes
I haven't had my Hopper Pops yet today, can't have cereal without milk and I'm looking forward to breakfast.

The battery usage to get to dark vapour is primarily why my ABV bowl is higgledy piggledy (though it's all very roasted). I make the effort more so before bed, as those high temp whispy clouds are good for relaxation and sleeping

Edit: I thought Kellogg's called rice crispies 'rice pops' here in Australia, it's actually Rice Bubbles. So to rephrase, I am looking forward to my Hopper Bubbles, as always

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
@Vapor_Eyes
I haven't had my Hopper Pops yet today, can't have cereal without milk and I'm looking forward to breakfast.

The battery usage to get to dark vapour is primarily why my ABV bowl is higgledy piggledy (though it's all very roasted). I make the effort more so before bed, as those high temp whispy clouds are good for relaxation and sleeping
I agree completely about the whispy hits as well. Speaking of which, on this side of the pond it's bedtime so I believe I'll take a couple of those.

Enjoy your breakfast! :tup:

I agree completely, these are the only vapes I have heard that crackling. I actually heard the crackling with my SS Grasshopper today. I always get a really good hit when I hear the crackle.

Snap crackle pop... nice ABV (Rice Krispies)? Pay no attention to me, I'm way too Hopped right now, it's been a glorious day!

@MoltenTiger; I couldn't agree more in regards to color of ABV and quality of extraction. Getting your ABV really dark may not be worth the battery power required only to get a couple of whispy hits. As a primarily convection vaporizer, it doesn't get ABV as dark as conduction in general, but to get it as dark as possible involves using battery power unnecessarily for a hit that ends up unsatisfactory anyways. Better to load up a fresh chamber and save your ABV for later in my opinion.

Thanks!! That was just the info I was looking for. Big difference going to full convection.

rodders83

Is this the Herbo Classic or the newly released Herbo Ti that I must have?

Classic is all i have I would love the Ti but the GH must now come first as the classic is still ok for me indoors but i never get clouds like the GH videos even on 10! Though my material is pretty poor as well. I could be 6 months before i dip into the GH market though due to money but all this talk does wet my lips. If it somehow had a glass oven we would be in heaven! I could sell the herbo for one!

If you had money you would be mad not to get the Ti herbo though bro!

m0sh

Singer Song Writer Stoner
Hey guys.
I need your help.
My friend's hopper is dead.
I need to send it for fixing.
I'm wondering what do I need to do?
Will I able to send it on his behalf?

His brother bought him this device from London and shipped it overseas...
I'm wondering if I should come with any issues...please assist.

m0sh,

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Hey guys.
I need your help.
My friend's hopper is dead.
I need to send it for fixing.
I'm wondering what do I need to do?
Will I able to send it on his behalf?

His brother bought him this device from London and shipped it overseas...
I'm wondering if I should come with any issues...please assist.
Typically, a Grasshopper needs to be registered to an owner before it can be repaired.

That involves using a code that is on the box plus the serial number that is on the end on the Hopper. It is done on their website, and so is the whole claim process. https://www.grasshoppervape.com/

If the code from box is not available, I believe you (or the owner) need to contact Hopper Labs to work something out. email is support@grasshoppervape.com

Depending on where in the world your friend and the Hopper are, there may be an option to return to the seller? in London? There are, I think, one or two retailers who will do 'service'.

Top Bottom