The Grasshopper

Discussion in 'Portable Vaporizers' started by midgetsanchez, Jun 8, 2015.

1. vapviking

vapviking Well-Known Member

HL has given 'varying' information, over time. In very early crowd-source days, they shipped some external chargers with new hoppers because they didn't have their own on hand. Later (I think even into 2016 sometime) HL came out saying only their charger is recommended. Now we see the quote from reddit.

I wondered, when I saw your earlier post re Trevor's recommendation, where that fits on the timeline. It's all pretty academic at this point!

My main take away is to not charge fast, as in, not more than the HL oem max charge rate of 500 ma (5 amps). Thanks again @MoltenTiger for that figure.

Vapor_Eyes, GreenHopper and biohacker like this.
  2. lazylathe

lazylathe Almost there...

My hopper arrived today! Just in my mail box with no extra duties to pay!
    Hope you have received your hopper!!

Testing will begin tonight or tomorrow!

3. tubasco

tubasco Well-Known Member

I have had success with this charger with GHB1's for over a year now, and GHB2's for months now.

ALWAYS set it to "low" when charging. It's a rate of 150mA (when charging 3 or 4 at once) and takes a couple hours to charge at that rate.

Avoiding this charger is not necessary. Using it correctly is.

moondog, ooo, vapviking and 4 others like this.
  4. ElPic

ElPic Take my money

Ahhhhhh!!!!
    Hope too! I finish working at 4:30pm... but I'm off tomorrow :brow:

lazylathe and Mr. Me2 like this.
  5. biohacker

biohacker Fucking Combustion Since 2006

Welcome to the clan bro!!! :rockon:

Sweet! I don't have to ditch my nitecore now lol

Vapor_Eyes, lazylathe and tubasco like this.
  6. JCat

JCat Well-Known Member

Hope I'm so lucky!!!

lazylathe and biohacker like this.
  7. Hogni

Hogni Honi soit qui mal y pense

....Hope or Hopp'? ;)

8. GrandWazoo

GrandWazoo Member

Hi to everyone , thank you for all the intersting info about vaping, I would like to share my experience . First vapo DaVinci , not bad at all , still works but the battery lasts only few hits. Second vape Grasshopper , very great , after some issues it works well and I love it. The taste is wonderful , three seconds heat , strong , stealthy . But I tried more and bought a Joyetech mini , with concentrates in e-liquid. I really think that this is long far the best way on the go : Immediate heat , battery that lasts a week and also the charge more than two weeks , and you can go anywhere , anywhere , it's an e-cig without doubt. The high is different , the taste not so good as flowers , but anyway there are a lot of positive things : you break the atmizer ? break the battery ? No problem , you go and buy one in every f...ng shop. Because when you are on the go , for example you stay out all day long, you got to re-charge your GH , and you got to do it also with the battery. If you live in a country where is not allowed it could be a problem. And if you break anything you are ko , got to order via Internet. So my best team at the time is Grasshopper at home , very relaxed and strong, e-liquid on the go , stealthy and easy.

Vapor_Eyes, invertedisdead and Hogni like this.
  9. invertedisdead

invertedisdead objects in mirror are more stoned than they appear

I've been saying this for years, concentrates on the go is still the superior solution. They just travel much better than dry herb. I'm not into e liquid though...I only load pure product on an all ceramic divine tribe v3 atomizer. I have no other use for other portable devices at this point, and it's embarrassing my home devices just as much.

Flavor is great over her with a temp controlled mod.

10. kato1234

kato1234 Well-Known Member

Yes it would be nice to see new vapes using the GH technology. Whether they do it themselves or licence it out. Personally I would like something in the 22mm range using 18650 batteries. It wouldn't be as stealthy but battery life would be 4x. Also on my wish list is a screw on one that would work with existing e-cig mods. Using one of the new quad 18650 you would increase battery life by 16x. I also think that the e-cig technology of temperature regulation might mix in nice with the HL heater. I don't know if it could be done. Maybe should start a new thread now that the shipping poll has become unnecessary. Something called "Now I have my Hopper heres how to improve it". Vape safe.

11. btka

btka Well-Known Member

I once asked caroline if I could use ak external charger for charging the gh batteries and she told me that she is not recommending using an external charger...

could charging batteries with an external charger be responsible for cop lights or immediately blue lights?

biohacker likes this.
  12. Hjalmark

Hjalmark Well-Known Member

Totally off topic because sometimes I am just to tired to join in on one of 4-7 topics we talk about :dog:

[​IMG]

I always cut off the zip bag top and then use it for storage, I used to have a "+" sign written on the inside so I can place full batteries with their positive toward the +

I also use it as a funnel to fill my bowl
    [​IMG]

Those ziplock are made out of nice thick durable plastic but I don't like the zip part

Also have you figured out where I keep my "blue tack"?

Also the Avb jar is the film box and it has a little metal pick in it

And now I am done :cheers:

13. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Also, I would like to see them get rid of the hinky (to me) ballpoint pen-type push switch on the end. just too many parts. Make something with a simple and highly robust switch for on/off. Just my two cents.

duff, Receptor and GreenHopper like this.
  14. kato1234

kato1234 Well-Known Member

I have been using Li-ion batteries for a few years now in e-cigs and I have a few recommendations regarding battery /charging. Im not a reviewer or expert but I do try and look up information and these are some of the things I have found. 1) Do not leave batteries that are charging unattended and remove them from the charger when done. They do have the possibility of venting. Not a big possibility with a good charger and good batteries but even if you think they are good they might have a problem or be counterfeits. They sell LiPo charging bags that will contain the gases if a battery vents. I haven't used them but they are out there. 2) Check your batteries when being charged or used and if they are too hot to touch. You have a problem. Stop doing whatever you are doing. 3) Don't charge or use a hot battery. If you have just been using a battery and it is now hot let it cool before charging. If you have just been charging a battery and it is hot let it cool down before using. A battery that is getting too hot to touch indicates a problem with the battery or charger 4) Never use a battery with a damaged wrapper. Rewrap or dispose of it. 5) Always carry you batteries safely. Use a case or something that will protect the battery from shorting out. E-cigs have been dealing with battery issues for 5-6 years and the flashlight guys even longer hopefully we can learn from the past and vape safe. Most accidents I see on the internet about vaping are user error. I know I tend to ramble on but I'm old and using a Grasshopper a deadly combination.

Where are we going to get more film canisters. I never thought to save them and I only have 2 left. I sent most of mine away for processing and never thought about it. My ABV resides in a black Kodak one. Heavy ziplock looks great for the batteries and it does make a nifty funnel.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2017
    voodoo_vape, slcbdco, Mr. Me2 and 5 others like this.
  15. invertedisdead

invertedisdead objects in mirror are more stoned than they appear

18650 grasshopper would be a game changer. They probably could have released it 2 years earlier too.

3600 mAh = desktop replacement :D

16. Icon13

Icon13 Serial Vapist

150mA is extremely low. Like unnecessarily low. Feel free to charge at a higher rate, which I am assuming is about 300mA for four batteries, which is also low. As somebody who used to work in the battery industry for a manufacturer, you're not going to hurt your batteries at all charging at the higher rate. 500mAh - 1Ah is just fine, which is what I charge mine at depending on how many I am charging. My batteries are running just as good as the day I got them, and I have had them since October and only use and external charger.

Mr. Me2, Hjalmark, formicae and 5 others like this.
  17. JoeMama

JoeMama Well-Known Member

Well this is concerning! Just what I need, spend more fucking money.

OK, then, let's say its either 150mA or:

OK, @Icon13 and @tubasco , assuming the charger is "safe for batteries when used as directed"

This is from the D4 Manual:
    Note: When the D4 is charging three or four batteries, charging current will be set to 375mA. Alternatively, when charging either one or two batteries, charging current will be set to 750mA

Given that this is the case, as opposed to what is stated by our beloved @tubasco , then
    when three or more batteries are in at the same time, I suppose nothing further need be done to "lower" said rate, as I'm assuming "375" is acceptable. Can I get an Amen?

However, if one were to charge one or two batteries and wished to set that rate to that target 375mA (assuming that's the low number), how might one do so? I remember reading about that here some time ago, and I'm pretty sure it was one of you fellas who mentioned it... (can't seem to locate this instruction in the PDF manual http://www.batteryspace.com/prod-specs/8979 specs.pdf )

I thank you. My Hoppers thank you.

18. tubasco

tubasco Well-Known Member

Yes there is a "low" charge setting. When you insert 4 GHBs in there it defaults to charge Lithium Ion batts at 375mA, but when it's switched to "low" it drops to 150. When doing only 1 or 2 batteries all the mA numbers are doubled, so I always wait till I have at least 3 batteries to charge.

I use a lot of eneloop AAs too, and you can mix and match battery types which is nice.

Thanks @Icon13 for the info. I guess I'll only use the "low" mA rate when charging 1 or 2 batts and just go with the default rate when charging 3 or 4.

EDIT: @JoeMama , there is a button on the left side. The front of the button is the cursor to select which battery bay, and the back of the button, when held down, sets the selected bay into "low" mA mode.

19. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

You don't need a lower rate. I can't remember who, perhaps @Icon13, but somebody with a large amount of battery knowledge posted some info on charging cycles/lifetime/charging rate. There was a variable that was, if I remember correctly, equal or about equal to the mAh of the battery.

Wish I could remember the details but even 750a is fairly low.

Up to you, though. I have also done things that were perhaps not necessary but did so out of an abundance of caution.

Cheers

formicae, Vapor_Eyes, JoeMama and 2 others like this.
  20. Receptor

Receptor Well-Known Member

Looked at the Tenergy TN270,GL recommended a while back.
    Specs on it shows 500 ma...max charge rate.
    The XTAR VC4 can do 4 @ 500 and 2 @ 1000ma....
    Hope that helps....

CANNABIS.....Cluster Headache....ReNew...Mission. Good to-Go!!!

MoltenTiger and biohacker like this.
  21. Kanyayweest

Kanyayweest Member

Wow didn't know how much would be posted here in medley 6 days. As per my hopper usage, I use it quite like a desktop as well, often going 2-3 sessions at once ( although I only get one bowl out of a battery) I have 8 batteries so it works out. After my second bowl or during the third consecutive the hopper is too hot to hold a bit and the cops light turn on but don't stay if I let it cool down for a bit. Pretty cool. At least I have a back up hopper to tide me over if I need a warranty replacement!

Also, anyone know if there is a black ti?

slcbdco, vapviking and MoltenTiger like this.
  22. JoeMama

JoeMama Well-Known Member

Thank you, @Baron23 and @tubasco ; both, very helpful.
    OK I did find that function to set the rate lower; whether I'll use it is TBD, but good to know now. Yes, and by putting >3 batteries at a time, I can at least be certain I'm at 375.

It's for that "topping" the charge (re that "trailing hit" thing @MoltenTiger discussed a bit ago), that I may set that function lower, since it would be hitting it at 750 if by itself.

Thanks again, guys.

moondog, tubasco and MoltenTiger like this.
  23. MoltenTiger

MoltenTiger Well-Known Member

from the Battery University:

[​IMG]

"When the battery is first put on charge, the voltage shoots up quickly. This behavior can be compared to lifting a weight with a rubber band, causing a lag. The capacity will eventually catch up when the battery is almost fully charged (Figure 3). This charge characteristic is typical of all batteries. The higher the charge current is, the larger the rubber-band effect will be. Cold temperatures or charging a cell with high internal resistance amplifies the effect."

Remember how the GHBs have huge resistance compared to other Li-ion batteries?
    It's not good for your batteries, it's not going to kill them instantly but it will degrade them at an accelerated rate.

I've included charts before, this one explains them if they somehow don't make sense.
    Feel free to continue high rate charging, but don't do a disservice by recommending it blindly.

I've gone through 7 GH batteries so far and I haven't been hopping for a year yet, so battery longevity is worth something to me, and others.

I charged those 7 cells with a 1A rate for most of their very short lives. Never again

Furthermore :),
    even if high rate charging is worth it for the user, to minimise charging time at the cost of product life, doing so with a charger that is not prone to overcharging is a no brainer.
    That's not to say the Nitecore D4 isn't that, it's just less precise than other options, which I consider a bad thing. If you have one that works, that's great. But there have been enough cases where that's not the case to avoid the brand. It's up to the consumer at the end of the day, and that's enough info and talk on the matter

Also, on the 18650 note, even though the battery would have a larger capacity, it will still give the best hit fresh from the charger (4.20V, ~11A draw). As it depletes the current increases.

There must be a reason that most 18650 vapes can't do what the hopper does, and HL spent so much on a proprietary option.
    They protoyped with 18650s so it's not like they were alien to the idea, but I imagine choosing the more expensive and risky option must have had some solid logic behind it from these engineers.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    kato1234, slcbdco, btka and 2 others like this.
  24. JCat

JCat Well-Known Member

I ordered a Nitecore D2 before I spotted the negative info on it ... still not sure why this wouldn't be a good option. It charges by default at 0.5A x 2 (ie. no more than 0.5A per battery, which should be fine). It also has a "Low" mode that drops it to 0.3A per battery which should be great no?

The D4 is either 0.375A per battery for 4 batteries or 0.75A per battery if just 2. It also has a low mode that changes it to 0.3A per battery.

Both these chargers also monitor the status of the battery and switch between CC/CV/dv/dt modes as it charges and stops when they are full ...

It was a tossup between the Xtar VC2 and this one ... we'll see I guess if I made a good decision (price was right ... that's for sure)

Anyways ... not sure why this wouldn't be ok ... thoughts?

lazylathe, biohacker and Receptor like this.
  25. MoltenTiger

MoltenTiger Well-Known Member

I've never had a problem with the power button, though I would say it is much too loud for certain situations, and it's very mechanical switching on and off every hit, some won't like that (especially Vape Critic). But in terms of robustness, apart from the very rare out of place pin, I didn't think there were any issues with it?

420 Science sell a glass one, though it's not too cheap.

The Nitecore D2 is fine, it charges at the default rate.
    If you want to be really scrupulous that it's fine, you could test a battery off the charger to make sure it isn't undercharging or overcharging it. It's unlikely to be, but not unheard of.

https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/threads/nitecore-d2-digicharger.596093/
    there's a good read that exposes why charging precision is important for batteries that are designed to perform in a specific pattern

It's very obvious the GH performs best with a 4.20V cell, if you are collecting 4.16V cells that are fresh from the charger, you'll be trailing a hit

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors