Discontinued The Grasshopper

Bass Vaper

Good news, I think I've confirmed their charger doesn't fully charge their battery after using my new external charger.

Better news, my Blue Ti got the cop lights today. First time ever getting them. It's odd because Trevoline told me they replaced the body of it, but really ended up putting a new back end on it. Which worked for about a week or so.

Best news, they've had my 3 faulty chargers since last Saturday, not a word one on an update since.

Truly Blessed.

Hogni

Honi soit qui mal y pense
I personally like the end caps made by Delta 3D for my GH batteries....but they cap each battery seperate so not exactly what you wanted

http://delta3dstudios.com/grasshopper-battery-caps-pair/

Or the three battery sleeve. Many like this, I thought they were a bit of a pain to open/close as its a tight fit...but they definitely will not be flopping around:

http://delta3dstudios.com/grasshopper-battery-sleeve-3x1/

Hope this was helpful.

In a few weeks I' ll get a custom 2x1 battery sleeve with two batteries end-to-end from Ratchett. So you get two batteries in a row that you can stick aside the Hopper in a case.

Hogni,
Reactions: ooo

kato1234

Can someone recommend a battery case that will safely contain TWO spare hopper batteries? I have an extra 18650 case, but it's too large and causes the batteries to tumble out of place.
I will reply to you next week. Look for cases for 14650's (an odd size). I have both clamshells and test tube style cases that I bought 3/4 years ago both work well. Just don't carry the batteries "loose". I don't remember where I got them but I will check it out and let you know. One of the easy solutions is a silicone cap often sold at hardware stores to cover rods of (I'm guessing 3/8" - 1/2") just cover the nipple end and you should be good as long as the battery wrap is not damaged.

Copacetic

Somewhere North of The Wall
Can someone recommend a battery case that will safely contain TWO spare hopper batteries? I have an extra 18650 case, but it's too large and causes the batteries to tumble out of place.

I personally like the end caps made by Delta 3D for my GH batteries....but they cap each battery seperate so not exactly what you wanted

http://delta3dstudios.com/grasshopper-battery-caps-pair/

Or the three battery sleeve. Many like this, I thought they were a bit of a pain to open/close as its a tight fit...but they definitely will not be flopping around:

http://delta3dstudios.com/grasshopper-battery-sleeve-3x1/

Hope this was helpful.

Ratchett's accessories definitely seem to come highly recommended (If I decide to keep my Hopper, I'll eventually get a spiral stand and funnel).

And if you prefer a hard case (like me), @Kfirrer does a brilliant case which I can vouch for (as suggested above by purple lava lamp)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Grasshopper-vape-case-/282115782363

Not a looker up close, but very solid, holds two batteries/one Hopper, or alternatively one Hopper /one battery /small container for herb (included with case).

I even tried putting some toilet paper inside the case chambers, and submerging it in water for around 5 seconds, and it didn't leak!

biohacker

Great night with the hoppers! :rockon: Just some quick observations/questions.... It seems like anything less than 4 on both SS and Ti don't really produce much vapour? My wife was using it at 3.5 with water (low temp vaporist) and there was some vapour but the ABV was all GREEN.

When using them dry, even over 4, the abv also looked quite green? But when I use it on 5 it whitewalls glass and ABV gets DARK!

Do I need to slow down my draws when hitting it dry or something? I'm guessing it's technique learning curve?

After today, if I still feel the same, i'm pretty sure i'll be picking up backups for both SS and Ti!

I swear it's a different type of medication as well....much more cerebral than i'm used to with the Mighty!

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Great night with the hoppers! :rockon: Just some quick observations/questions.... It seems like anything less than 4 on both SS and Ti don't really produce much vapour? My wife was using it at 3.5 with water (low temp vaporist) and there was some vapour but the ABV was all GREEN.

When using them dry, even over 4, the abv also looked quite green? But when I use it on 5 it whitewalls glass and ABV gets DARK!

Do I need to slow down my draws when hitting it dry or something? I'm guessing it's technique learning curve?

After today, if I still feel the same, i'm pretty sure i'll be picking up backups for both SS and Ti!

I swear it's a different type of medication as well....much more cerebral than i'm used to with the Mighty!
Last thing first, I feel a different effect from Hopper also. I think that it extracts faster than Mighty, even a pretty full load can be spent in just a few hits, especially with water. I find the effect is sooner and stronger, though with Mighty the effect will get there, just over a little longer period of time.
I do enjoy switching sometimes from higher temp/water hits to lower (even 3!, then stepping!) for native, really flavorful hits. As often the case, first couple are most flavorful, so I find a few small loads hand out more flavor hits (more 'first' hits). I like the Hopper early taste better than Mighty's.

Hopper likes to be primed a few seconds with a light draw, then wait a few, then begin your toke in earnest. This is the track I'm currently on anyway! I recently noted that it's a recurring theme to hear someone declare, "Wow, I've been doing it all wrong!" There are multiple 'right' ways, of course. The touted 'zero learning curve' is true only at a rudimentary level.

I believe you've been at this longer than I, and I won't swear to it, but I think that water is affecting flavor more with Hopper than with Mighty, i.e less flavor using water with Hopper than with Mighty. Anyone else have both and notice this? Hopper does balance this by producing great vape volume.

One thing to look out for is variation of production as battery gets low on charge; I think it can go down significantly, even though light is still blue (or flickering blue).

Nice to hear you're enjoying them!

moondog

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'

Glad you're enjoying it.

I do all my vaping in the 3.9 to 4.25 range on the dial and I use the tried-and-true "turn on, reach temp, draw for 5 secs, turn off, keep drawing for another 5 seconds" technique. No matter the temp, I find that vapor production is greatly increased by lengthening my draw to 7 seconds before turning off. I'm getting very satisfying clouds.

I have the same experience as Viking and many others. When that battery starts to weaken, production does take a dive.

Mr. Me2

A bunch of people are talking about cases and accessories and talking up @Ratchett for good reason. But I haven't seen a couple of his gh accessories mentioned recently so I'll add my :2c:

His leather case is custom for the gh and also has sleeves for 2 batteries and pockets for a couple other items.

He also has a mini scoop and poke (I think that's what it's called). That used with one of his stands is a dream!

I LOVE both of these (and his gh stand too)!

moondog

A bunch of people are talking about cases and accessories and talking up @Ratchett for good reason. But I haven't seen a couple of his gh accessories mentioned recently so I'll add my :2c:

His leather case is custom for the gh and also has sleeves for 2 batteries and pockets for a couple other items.

He also has a mini scoop and poke (I think that's what it's called). That used with one of his stands is a dream!

I LOVE both of these (and his gh stand too)!
I ordered the leather case and the mini scoop last week and can't wait to get them.

biohacker

Last thing first, I feel a different effect from Hopper also. I think that it extracts faster than Mighty, even a pretty full load can be spent in just a few hits, especially with water.

Yep, I love crushing an entire bowl in ONE hit with my glass tool! Every single time I always nearly have a heart attack because it LOOKS like SMOKE and I think i'm combusting. The way the GH fills and milks a glass tool is truly beauty in my eyes. The Mighty isn't as dense, but has its place no doubt.

I find the effect is sooner and stronger, though with Mighty the effect will get there, just over a little longer period of time.

Interesting, my first impressions seem to be the opposite...i'm finding the GH more of a "creeper" and then it hits. I just assumed the difference was from the lack of conduction.

I believe you've been at this longer than I, and I won't swear to it, but I think that water is affecting flavor more with Hopper than with Mighty,

That's another thing, every since receiving my hoppers i'm noticing i'm actually tasting the strains more, even with water. Could be because the flavour does last longer than the Mighty though.

I do all my vaping in the 3.9 to 4.25 range on the dial and I use the tried-and-true "turn on, reach temp, draw for 5 secs, turn off, keep drawing for another 5 seconds" technique.

I use the same technique! But still, for whatever reasons, without the water tool, even vaping at 4-5 and getting lots of vapour, and going until the battery dies (which is a long sesh for me), the abv is even close to as dark as when using water. The ABV right when you open it up is completely green, but the rest of it is a mix of tan and light green, but is probably all fully extracted anyway. I'm getting the clouds and effects so that's all that matters, however I don't want to waste either.

Am I packing too much? I fill it right up....if I tamp it lightly, the load drops a little. Coarse, medium, or fine grind? I've been using medium mostly and sometimes coarse.

Just had a nice hike with both SS and Ti (and wife and pup! lol)...... I usually take my Mighty.... enjoyed it SO much more!

The honeymoon continues! :love:

moondog

Am I packing too much? I fill it right up....if I tamp it lightly, the load drops a little. Coarse, medium, or fine grind? I've been using medium mostly and sometimes coarse.

Lots of folks counsel against a full pack. Myself, I use a medium/coarse grind and never pack more than 2/3 or 3/4 - no tamping. But then, as I enter my later years I've become a bit of a lightweight and don't need more than that. :lol:

Baron23

I have basically settled on 4.2 on the temp gauge as a good compromise between vapor production and hot/harsh and I just leave it there. However, lately I do mostly put the GH through a WP...actually a fairly small Bates internal diffusion pump.

I hear what @vapviking says about WP reducing taste/perhaps some effect but I think (emphasis on 'think') this is better with a small piece than a larger one.

I haven't timed my draws...I tend to go until I feel I only have enough lung capacity left to clear the piece and clear my throat! haha But, it does seem to me that, if I want really thick vapor, I generally start with a nice even draw and when I start to see/feel vapor in the WP I increase the draw speed hard. I have not been able to, I believe, push the heater past its abilities to compensate for draw speed. Draw harder, get more power to the heater to maintain temp and the GH it seems to be able to handle this very well.

Of course I'm baked at the time of all of these observations so take with a grain of salt! haha

I don't tamp at all. Not even to tap it to settle. I do fill the oven, but this is medium/fine grind loaded from a scoop and funnel (or lightly poured from a doob tube) so the load is nice and airy. I note that after I vape the load, the remaining AVB (if stirred or otherwise disturbed a bit) is only about 1/2 a chamber or less.

Not saying this is the best way of doing it, but this has been working for me. Its right at .1 g for a full load for me doing it this way.

Last edited:

f2j

Chaque jour est une chance
Today it's been exactly a month I have received my beautiful grasshopper. It's also the day it chose to stop working and display blue/red flashing lights. So I filed the warranty form and am now waiting for a message from them.

I'm disappointed but it's Ok as I have the nano to help me at home.

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
I ordered the leather case and the mini scoop last week and can't wait to get them.
I'm still working on a few more accessories for the hopper - it's still one of my favorite vapes and performed admirably over the holiday season. I don't know about ya'll, but I'm going to upgrade to a Titanium hopper in the very near future :D

Maybe a v2.0 charging dock with a holder built in? Any requests for a larger charging dock with slots to hold other accessories? Feel free to PM me any napkin sketches on how you'd like to see a larger Hopper stand organized!

travis

I just got this for a small portable case for when I'm skiing and on the go.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006OF2H2Y/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I don't want to keep a naked gh in my pocket due to lint and possibly poking a whole in my jacket.

This case is a perfect fit. And I mean perfect. The hoppers button sinks in about a half inch from the top which protects the gh from a drop. The clip also fits inside for full protection. The leather is very thick. It could definitely take a drop on a hard floor.

I also have ratchets case for when case size isn't an issue.

BadDog No

This just in:
header.jpg

Grasshopper Monthly Newsletter
5 Tips And Tricks

1. Performs Best With Dry-Herbs
You'll want your herbs to be dried out, meaning all the water is removed from them. The more water that is in your plant material, the longer it will take before vaporization of the oils in the plant starts. Pack your chamber loosely. A tight pack will just make the draw resistance uncomfortable. A little pinch to a full chamber will yield great results! The Grasshopper has incredible extraction power, so don't be surprised when your session takes less time than it used to.

2. Turn the Unit On and Off
The Grasshopper has the uniquely fast heat-up of just 5 seconds. The device is designed to be turned on and off between every draw. Click the device on and take your draw right as the lights turn blue. Click the device off right at the end of your 15-20 second draw to remove all the vapor and warm air from the chamber. Repeat as desired. Leaving the device on like you would most vaporizers will result in it becoming uncomfortably hot and lead to an unpleasant experience!

3. Take Short, Frim Draws
Other vapes require a slow and steady draw that lasts between 30 and 90 seconds. This type of draw is not ideal for the Grasshopper. The Grasshopper comes equipped with a very powerful 45-watt heater, a microcontroller to monitor temperature in real-time and a very short vapor path. Its design allows for quick and easy vaporization. Your draw should be faster than with other vapes and last 15-20 seconds. Near the end of your draw, click the device off to allow for all the vapor and warm air to be cleared from the chamber.

4. Battery Life
When designing the Grasshopper, we knew to make it the world's smallest convection vaporizer we would have to make a few trade-offs. The Grasshopper contains a custom designed battery, with a very high discharge rate. The Grasshopper has the power and size necessary to make the device possible but also battery life that is shorter than with other devices. To midgate this effect, we built in a simple way to swap the battery and committed to providing easy access to cheap replacements. It's recommended to pick up at least one spare and replacing them every so often with fresh ones.

5. Extraction Power
The Grasshopper uses a powerful pure-convection heater, a short vapor path, and low thermal mass to produce the most efficient experience possible. You won't be losing out on any of the active ingredients due to build-up in a long vapor path or the inefficiencies of conduction. Be aware that you might extract all the oil from your herbs faster than you're used to but rest assured nothing will be wasted!

JoeMama

Howdy (mostly) Happy Hoppers,

Lots of folks counsel against a full pack. Myself, I use a medium/coarse grind and never pack more than 2/3 or 3/4 - no tamping. But then, as I enter my later years I've become a bit of a lightweight and don't need more than that. :lol:

Yep, I'd agree, and add that it seems ok to "pack" the chamber with a pointy-thing. Like a dental tool, sharp. It gently packs without cramming, and it's kind of equivalent to using the Feeder when it comes to optimal packing for longer chambers. And certainly, Temp stepping would be recommended.

Today it's been exactly a month I have received my beautiful grasshopper. It's also the day it chose to stop working and display blue/red flashing lights. So I filed the warranty form and am now waiting for a message from them.

I'm disappointed but it's Ok as I have the nano to help me at home.

I'm sorry that happened, glad you're OK about it, f2J. Consider yourself properly initiated. :razz:

I just got this for a small portable case for when I'm skiing and on the go.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006OF2H2Y/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I don't want to keep a naked gh in my pocket due to lint and possibly poking a whole in my jacket.

This case is a perfect fit. And I mean perfect. The hoppers button sinks in about a half inch from the top which protects the gh from a drop. The clip also fits inside for full protection. The leather is very thick. It could definitely take a drop on a hard floor.

I also have ratchets case for when case size isn't an issue.

THANK YOU for this! You're description makes all the difference, because I've seen this and have not bought it because I Holtsville get the oooer was too big for it. This will be what I've been looking for.

And, I have this special power which will automatically make GHL start shipping their leather sleeves as soon as I buy this Amazon one, so, everyone wins!

This just in:
header.jpg

Grasshopper Monthly Newsletter
5 Tips And Tricks

1. Performs Best With Dry-Herbs
You'll want your herbs to be dried out, meaning all the water is removed from them. The more water that is in your plant material, the longer it will take before vaporization of the oils in the plant starts. Pack your chamber loosely. A tight pack will just make the draw resistance uncomfortable. A little pinch to a full chamber will yield great results! The Grasshopper has incredible extraction power, so don't be surprised when your session takes less time than it used to.

2. Turn the Unit On and Off
The Grasshopper has the uniquely fast heat-up of just 5 seconds. The device is designed to be turned on and off between every draw. Click the device on and take your draw right as the lights turn blue. Click the device off right at the end of your 15-20 second draw to remove all the vapor and warm air from the chamber. Repeat as desired. Leaving the device on like you would most vaporizers will result in it becoming uncomfortably hot and lead to an unpleasant experience!

3. Take Short, Frim Draws
Other vapes require a slow and steady draw that lasts between 30 and 90 seconds. This type of draw is not ideal for the Grasshopper. The Grasshopper comes equipped with a very powerful 45-watt heater, a microcontroller to monitor temperature in real-time and a very short vapor path. Its design allows for quick and easy vaporization. Your draw should be faster than with other vapes and last 15-20 seconds. Near the end of your draw, click the device off to allow for all the vapor and warm air to be cleared from the chamber.

4. Battery Life
When designing the Grasshopper, we knew to make it the world's smallest convection vaporizer we would have to make a few trade-offs. The Grasshopper contains a custom designed battery, with a very high discharge rate. The Grasshopper has the power and size necessary to make the device possible but also battery life that is shorter than with other devices. To midgate this effect, we built in a simple way to swap the battery and committed to providing easy access to cheap replacements. It's recommended to pick up at least one spare and replacing them every so often with fresh ones.

5. Extraction Power
The Grasshopper uses a powerful pure-convection heater, a short vapor path, and low thermal mass to produce the most efficient experience possible. You won't be losing out on any of the active ingredients due to build-up in a long vapor path or the inefficiencies of conduction. Be aware that you might extract all the oil from your herbs faster than you're used to but rest assured nothing will be wasted!

Can't believe I'm saying this, but, hey, this was a great thing for them to create! I would bet money they hired someone new. HEY NEW GUY!! :wave: Great job and welcome aboard! Don't be a stranger, we're a friendly helpful group!

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I am extremely encouraged and happy to see the 5 Tips in this Monthly Newsletter. Just a week or so ago I was lamenting the lack of a 'best practices' publication from HL. I believe it represents educational outreach reflective of concern for and attention to both Hoppers and hoppers.

Thanks HL! :wave:

Two Monthly Newsletters in a weeks' time. That's noteworthy all by itself.
Grasshopper Monthly Newsletter - November News (I received Dec 1)
Grasshopper Monthly Newsletter - 5 Tips And Tricks (received Dec 3)

From the first
"The Hopper was made to be your on-the-go daily driver. Loads of power and a near instant heat-up time make taking shorter more discreet draws a reality for vaporizers. We're proud to have pushed the market towards these things."

And from this newer newsletter:
"3. Take Short, Frim Draws
Other vapes require a slow and steady draw that lasts between 30 and 90 seconds. This type of draw is not ideal for the Grasshopper. The Grasshopper comes equipped with a very powerful 45-watt heater, a microcontroller to monitor temperature in real-time and a very short vapor path. Its design allows for quick and easy vaporization. Your draw should be faster than with other vapes and last 15-20 seconds. Near the end of your draw, click the device off to allow for all the vapor and warm air to be cleared from the chamber."

HL are pushing not only the supply side of the market, but the consumer side as well. We here and others all over have been adjusting the very way that we draw and the way we (try to!) pause for it to cool and some other behaviors - and we seem for the most part, to be loving it. I'm aware that every vape is a different experience, but Hopper is one of few electrics that is coming close to instant convection of flower in very small design category, with great output performance. *re-reading this, I've reminded myself that Hopper is in some ways getting closer to the experience of hitting a joint or pipe. Not many folks take joint hits longer than 15-20 seconds, for instance.

I'm not saying paradigm shift and not saying game changer, but I think on the timeline of vaporizer evolution, Hopper may prove to be deserving of a place marker.

Edit:
HL could use a proof reader. In the 5 Tips, the Heading to #3 says Frim for firm, and in #4 midgate s/b mitigate. I know we're now in the "post-literate" age, but...

Last edited:

VegNVape

Increase the Peace
Company Rep
Woke up with an itch for something a little different today . . . . so after a bit of a rummage around the house, this is my sparkling sunny Sunday morning vapor combo . . . .
uO2D6aY.jpg

And what a way to start the day!

SCShred filled to the brim, tap to settle, max power on the dial & chocks away!

With the high temp setting plus that much diffusion I'm not looking for flavour - but when you're cruising at these high altitudes the beautiful clouds & heady effects come thick & fast :tup:
n1OSqVl.jpg

GHL-1 you are cleared for take-off . . . .

TiBugLove!
:peace:

moondog

Woke up with an itch for something a little different today . . . . so after a bit of a rummage around the house, this is my sparkling sunny Sunday morning vapor combo . . . .
uO2D6aY.jpg

And what a way to start the day!

SCShred filled to the brim, tap to settle, max power on the dial & chocks away!

With the high temp setting plus that much diffusion I'm not looking for flavour - but when you're cruising at these high altitudes the beautiful clouds & heady effects come thick & fast :tup:
n1OSqVl.jpg

GHL-1 you are cleared for take-off . . . .

TiBugLove!
:peace:
It's like watching the mothership land in Close Encounters!!:whoa:

Top Bottom