Discontinued The Grasshopper

Mrbrown81k

So I thought I hated my grasshopper and even put it up for sale , but now that I understand how to use it Im starting to really like it! I dont even need the condom on there anymore, I was using it all wrong before! Im glad I screwed myself by registering it and not being able to sell it :lol:

Kalessin

So I thought I hated my grasshopper and even put it up for sale , but now that I understand how to use it Im starting to really like it! I dont even need the condom on there anymore, I was using it all wrong before! Im glad I screwed myself by registering it and not being able to sell it :lol:
I'm just curious, what were you doing that was wrong?

flyfishwino

My Ti should be here tomorrow
Can you share some tips on grind, pack, temp and draw? I know it's here somewhere, but not sure how to dig it out,
Also just had a knee replacement yesterday, so not all that coherent yet from the the rx
Med's.
Looking forward to the herbal variety
Thanks and hope it lives up to the hype.

Mrbrown81k

Basically I was packing too much and leaving the unit on too long and taking long draws. I find it work at best with a light pack of maybe .15-.2 , and when you take hard fast draws and turn the unit off as your at the end of your draw. Also putting my mouth a little higher up on the mouthpiece seems to be better.

Mr. Me2

Can you share some tips on grind, pack, temp and draw? I know it's here somewhere, but not sure how to dig it out,
Also just had a knee replacement yesterday, so not all that coherent yet from the the rx
Med's.
Congrats on your (almost here) new toy @flyfishwino ! Sounds like it couldn't arrive at a better time.

Since I just got a gh scoop from @Ratchett, I've just had the chance to play with a packing method different than I typically used.

Bottom line is I think the gh is very forgiving.

Regarding grind, I use a Samta Cruz grinder and that works great. I'd call it a medium grind. But I know some here don't even bother grinding material.

Regarding fill amount, personally I typically fill it about 3/4 and BARELY tamp it down.

Before the gh scoop, I pinched ground material into little balls and just dropped 2 or 3 in. With the scoop, I leave it nice and fluffy. In my opinion that seems to work better (less draw resistance, but that MAY also be due to a recent mouthpiece cleaning...).

Regarding temperature, I prefer 3 and tend not to step up, but I may be in the minority here.

I think you're going to have to experiment to find your sweet spot.

A couple other things... Avoid putting your lips on the very tip. It can get pretty warm. I suggest you place your lips at the very end of the taper. I also wait until the gh is completely cool before taking my next pull.

Last is accessories. I highly recommend an external charger, extra batteries, and a few of @Ratchett's goodies. I have and love his leather case, gh spiral stand, and the new gh scoop (I don't know if he's named it yet).

Keep us posted, have fun, feel better, and be diligent with your physical therapy!

Mr Mellish

Congrats on your (almost here) new toy @flyfishwino ! Sounds like it couldn't arrive at a better time.

Since I just got a gh scoop from @Ratchett, I've just had the chance to play with a packing method different than I typically used.

Bottom line is I think the gh is very forgiving.

Regarding grind, I use a Samta Cruz grinder and that works great. I'd call it a medium grind. But I know some here don't even bother grinding material.

Regarding fill amount, personally I typically fill it about 3/4 and BARELY tamp it down.

Before the gh scoop, I pinched ground material into little balls and just dropped 2 or 3 in. With the scoop, I leave it nice and fluffy. In my opinion that seems to work better (less draw resistance, but that MAY also be due to a recent mouthpiece cleaning...).

Regarding temperature, I prefer 3 and tend not to step up, but I may be in the minority here.

I think you're going to have to experiment to find your sweet spot.

A couple other things... Avoid putting your lips on the very tip. It can get pretty warm. I suggest you place your lips at the very end of the taper. I also wait until the gh is completely cool before taking my next pull.

Last is accessories. I highly recommend an external charger, extra batteries, and a few of @Ratchett's goodies. I have and love his leather case, gh spiral stand, and the new gh scoop (I don't know if he's named it yet).

Keep us posted, have fun, feel better, and be diligent with your physical therapy!

I use a spoon to ladle in about 80% full and do not pack at all. Operate at 3 for 5-6 draws and 5 for 5-6 draws. The draws are 6-10 seconds long each and I do not shut the GH off at all during the process. I also sometimes drop a nug in instead of ground material and that works just as well.

Mr. Me2

I use a spoon to ladle in about 80% full and do not pack at all. Operate at 3 for 5-6 draws and 5 for 5-6 draws. The draws are 6-10 seconds long each and I do not shut the GH off at all during the process. I also sometimes drop a nug in instead of ground material and that works just as well.
It's so interesting (and fun) to learn of others' techniques.

I always shut my gh off between pulls. And although it sounds like @Mr Mellish and I fill the oven with about the same amount, I tend to refill after 5-6 pulls. I'm impressed that @Mr Mellish gets so much satisfaction (and # of pulls) from each load. Impressive! Or am I being wasteful?...

vapviking

Old & In the Way
It's so interesting (and fun) to learn of others' techniques.

I always shut my gh off between pulls. And although it sounds like @Mr Mellish and I fill the oven with about the same amount, I tend to refill after 5-6 pulls. I'm impressed that @Mr Mellish gets so much satisfaction (and # of pulls) from each load. Impressive! Or am I being wasteful?...
You're just in different circumstance. Different material and draw, length of draw, etc. So many variables besides just temp.
I've been filling about halfway(?) with a couple of pinches and on a water piece at 4.5+ it's all over in a couple/few hits. The thing can extract very effectively, or, as you guys are liking, milk multiple nicer flavor hits for a while. (I do that, too!)

Baron23

You're just in different circumstance. Different material and draw, length of draw, etc. So many variables besides just temp.
I've been filling about halfway(?) with a couple of pinches and on a water piece at 4.5+ it's all over in a couple/few hits. The thing can extract very effectively, or, as you guys are liking, milk multiple nicer flavor hits for a while. (I do that, too!)
I'm with you, mate. I fill using Ratchett's funnel and scoop so even though full its very fluffy and compresses when drawing on it. I run at 4.1-4.2 constant. Through a water piece I can drain it in 3 draws. Very nice.

Icon13

Serial Vapist
Well, I joined the status of a hopper this afternoon. I paid the extra $50 and ordered a brand new "cosmetically damaged unit" from ebay the other day.

I kept in contact with the seller prior to the purchase and asked for his best dark gray. There is s ever so tiny scratch about a couple mm long, so small I could never capture it on my camera phone. Plus it just blends in with the gray. It would only be noticeable if you were looking for it.

So worth it since I am an August 2016 pre-order. I don't think I would even want to wait another 4 months, let alone the year others have already waited. Now I just need my other 3 Batteries and a Tenergy Li-Ion charger. I already modified my order to 3 batteries only from GHL.

I originally had a firefly 2 and did not like it at all. So much in fact, that I got them to return it. Either something was wrong with that unit, or that thing is overhyped. I can say, I only got to use my grasshopper 1 time so far and I like it much more already. I really look forward to tonight.

JoeMama

Med's.

Fly fish, just was going to offer my inputs but after reading the replies, I'd say that it covers everything. And if it seems ambiguous comparing methods it's because of the style you may like most, or, even discover styles you never thought you'd appreciate before trying. I speak for myself, of course.

Wow, Mr Mellish, I'm genuinely impressed with the way you push that hopper. :cool: The entire process of 10 or so draws takes about an entire minute, I'm estimating. I'm curious: how hot does that thing get by the end if that period, and, how spent would a full battery have become in that time with the T settings you describe?

JoeMama,
Reactions: Mr. Me2

MoltenTiger

It took HL all of 12 hours to sort out my latest warranty issue. They'll be posting a replacement blue Ti body to me over the next few days, and I'll be sending both replaced bits from either hopper/warranty back together when I get the chance.

I'm very happy with HL's customer service, I've followed their requests and it has been entirely painless (except for the tid-bit that is being hopperless, of course).

I can always easily get vaped, but the ease the hopper offers this is unparalleled - I am pretty excited to hop to it yet again.

Mr Mellish

Wow, Mr Mellish, I'm genuinely impressed with the way you push that hopper. :cool: The entire process of 10 or so draws takes about an entire minute, I'm estimating. I'm curious: how hot does that thing get by the end if that period, and, how spent would a full battery have become in that time with the T settings you describe?

The SS gets damn hot; nearly scalding. The Ti gets pretty warm. Batteries last a little over two chambers, I'd say.

JoeMama

It took HL all of 12 hours to sort out my latest warranty issue. They'll be posting a replacement blue Ti body to me over the next few days, and I'll be sending both replaced bits from either hopper/warranty back together when I get the chance.

I'm very happy with HL's customer service, I've followed their requests and it has been entirely painless (except for the tid-bit that is being hopperless, of course).

I can always easily get vaped, but the ease the hopper offers this is unparalleled - I am pretty excited to hop to it yet again.

Hey that's great news, Molten.... It's so odd that over the past few weeks I've read posts citing lousy response time on GHL warrant issues. Just very weird!

JoeMama,

MoltenTiger

Hey that's great news, Molten.... It's so odd that over the past few weeks I've read posts citing lousy response time on GHL warrant issues. Just very weird!
It is exciting for me, I really miss having a portable vape that isn't a POS.
I think the lousy responses have more to do with the fact time slows down without a hopper, and it feels like a long time between non-instant communications as it is these days.

HL have boasted they've sorted 100% of their warranty cases and I think they have good grounds doing so. That's a pretty solid effort from them.
You do have to wait a little while, for them to clarify the issue and respond accordingly.
But every time, they sort it out.
This time around, I was much more concise in my description which made the whole process 1-step.*
I've said it before, if you follow their methods, it is a painless and rapid process. I would guess most people are facing self provoked issues with HL PR, they've been absolutely reasonable with me, and from my perspective, so too with any case I've heard about in proper detail.
Asking questions prolongs the ordeal, if you do exactly what is asked, which is about as simple as anything, they'll sort it out soon enough.
There's a bit of angst when the device dies before a holiday or similar, but ultimately after a few days without a hopper you start to realise the void it leaves behind, and the rage fades to sadness. It's quite relieving knowing how simple the warranty process is.

-----------------
* here is my one step fix, subject: 'Red/Blue flashing - sensor issue'
MoltenTiger Oct. 6, 2016, 11:33 p.m.
Every instance it is turned on, it fails to heat up and indicates sensor damage by flashing red/blue LEDs

Caroline (Hopper Labs) Oct. 7, 2016, 12:26 p.m.
I will send you a new Body. You need to follow the instructions below to return all duplicate parts you have.

MoltenTiger Oct. 7, 2016, 11:44 p.m.
Thanks Caroline, I will send the replaced parts back together ASAP
here is my previous 4 day ordeal caused by text-walls, subject: 'Unkown system failure'
MoltenTiger Sept. 24, 2016, 12:35 p.m.
A while ago, after I turned on the unit it got red LEDs, and then turned off after a few seconds.
My other hopper (blue Ti) also malfunctioned at this time, it would turn on, flash red and then immediately turn blue with audible clicking coming from the device, but no heat.
The day after both my units were working as per normal.

I continued using both devices, and so far the blue has been trouble free, but my plain Ti (GT001159) has started repeating the same issue (*red light, then off, no heat, no audible sounds, no blue LED).

After playing around with it, and leaving it for a number of hours, I managed to turn it on and after some time of red LEDs (10+seconds) it got to blue lights and heated up, but soon after it repeated the same issue*.
At one point it was flashing red LEDs at the same frequency as charging, but with longer sustained red pulses
Then it returned to brief red lights and power off.

And just now after writing all this, it seems to be working normally again. Reaching blue lights, and then again successfully vaporizing.

None of these LED status patterns appear on the troubleshooting guide, so wondering if you have seen any of these issues before?

Caroline (Hopper Labs) Sept. 26, 2016, 9:47 a.m.
Please press and hold the Back End button down. Does the red led turn blue or turn off? It is likely caused by a small pin in your Back End shifting out of place and not holding your Hopper in the on position. If you press and hold the button down, you may be able to reset the pin, which also explains why the issue is not consistent. Please let me know what happens when you hold the button down.

MoltenTiger Sept. 27, 2016, 7:22 a.m.
Holding down the button, both before the click and pushing it down further past the click, showed the same error (no blue LED, red LED turns off quickly).

Furthermore, the blue back-end shows the same error on the plain Ti, and the plain Ti back-end works on the blue hopper.

Caroline (Hopper Labs) Sept. 27, 2016, 10:23 a.m.
Hi There,

Typically, the red then off issue is caused by either the Body or Back End. If it is a Back End issue, this is caused by a pin shifting out of place and can be corrected when you press and hold the button down while the red LED is on. If the red LED continues to turn off, it is a Body issue. Please play around with this a bit and swap parts to determine which part needs to be replaced. Press and hold the button all the way down while the red LED is on and see if it turns blue. If not, it seems most likely that your Body is causing this issue. Let me know.

MoltenTiger Sept. 27, 2016, 1:43 p.m.
I've played around a bit and I am pretty sure it is the body that is causing the issue.

The back-end works normally on my other hopper, the other hoppers back-end shows the same problem on the plain Ti body

Caroline (Hopper Labs) Sept. 28, 2016, 3:35 p.m.
I will send you a new Body. Follow the instructions below to return your original Body.

MoltenTiger Sept. 29, 2016, 12:12 a.m.
Thanks Caroline, much appreciated

Hopefully this little excerpt can save people a bit of their time in the future, or at least offer some enlightenment as to why difference in warranty service-periods is to be expected

Last edited:

moondog

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'
I would guess most people are facing self provoked issues with HL PR

THIS. Every time someone rants about how shitty GHL CS is, my first reaction is a wish to be able to read a transcript of the entire interaction. I certainly can't speak to your use of "most", but if unhappy folks are using the same language and attitude with GHL that they use here, it's no wonder their interactions are less than satisfactory. The hopper folks are human too.

No, I am NOT absolving GHL of responsibility for timely and appropriate communication and CS. But those of us on the other end of the interaction have similar responsibilities.:2c:

catbird

hyperconscious

I also had a fairly painless warranty replacement experience. HL responded and shipped a new body right away. It was due to arrive the day before I went out of town, but was delayed in shipping by USPS so I didn't get it before I left, which was the only rub. Everything is good with the replacement. I know people complain about it, but I liked the rings around the middle of the body created by the clip when screwing/unscrewing, though it's nice of course to have a pristine new body (and this body will show rings soon enough).

I am becoming more GH reliant, I think. I started noticing that I'll bring it out with me in situations that I would formerly have gone vapeless, just because it's so pocketable, and I'll sneak hits in situations where I would not have otherwise bothered, but I have it with me, so yeah. It feels like a positive life addition, in that regard. Also I actually feel better having come out the other side of a warranty replacement. Like it's not the end of the world if it dies, I have the warranty and will get a working one. I considered adding an extra GH or two to my order way back when, but couldn't justify the funds and now I'm wishing I had done that for a back up, because I don't want to wait again/pay extra.

I encountered an overtly eccentric dude in an art gallery the other night (in contrast with my more subdued eccentricity), and he was sucking on an e-cig mod as he was talking, and though it seemed like, and was likely just a tobacco cart, it could have easily been mj and nobody would have known/cared; I found myself wanting to use the GH just as brazenly. I sneak hits, because it's so easy to, or I'll break off somewhere secluded for a minute, but I find myself wanting to use the GH stealth factor to vape in plain sight, and just act like I know what I'm doing so nobody would question it (of course anyone who knows me would know that I have zero interest in tobacco). Other than around work or like my mom, I'm typically in situations in which nobody would give a shit if I did this, whether they noticed or not, but I am more of a cautious person. Anyone use it this way?

Last edited:

MoltenTiger

I also had a fairly painless warranty replacement experience. HL responded and shipped a new body right away. It was due to arrive the day before I went out of town, but was delayed in shipping by USPS so I didn't get it before I left, which was the only rub. Everything is good with the replacement. I know people complain about it, but I liked the rings around the middle of the body created by the clip when screwing/unscrewing, though it's nice of course to have a pristine new body (and this body will show rings soon enough).

I am becoming more GH reliant, I think. I started noticing that I'll bring it out with me in situations that I would formerly go vapeless, just because it's so pocketable, and I'll sneak hits in situations where I would not have otherwise bothered, but I have it with me, so yeah. It feels like a positive life addition, in that regard.

I encountered an overtly eccentric dude in an art gallery the other night and he was sucking on an e-cig mod as he was talking, and though it seemed like, and was likely just a tobacco cart, it could have easily been mj and nobody would have known/cared, and I found myself wanting to use the GH just as brazenly. I sneak hits, because it's so easy to, or like go somewhere secluded for a minute, but I find myself wanting to use the GH stealth factor to vape in plain sight, and just act like I know what I'm doing so nobody would question it (of course anyone who knows me would know that I have zero interest in tobacco). Other than around work or my mom, I'm typically in situations where nobody would give a shit if I did this, whether they noticed or not, but I am more of a cautious person. Anyone use it this way?
I enjoyed reading your post, and I think it is fair to correlate customer communication ability with the rate of HL warranty.
I thought I'd use my own experiences as an example of this (above), I am not meaning to be disrespectful to anyone, but I think what @moondog says is true, and the cases I refer to hearing about in 'proper detail' are cases where I have learnt of the transcript in question.
We do have an ability to speed up the process, and it helps HL as much as ourselves, as much as future hopper owners.
I am willing to accept variance from these more glistening examples, and I don't believe it will always be the customers fault for dissatisfying service, but I do believe that the customer can do a lot to help their case.

Anyways, GH reliance is a simple mode to lapse into, and I agree it is a positive life addition in that regard. Hence my keen-ness to finally get my replacement parts!

I wouldn't hit an eCig casually or habitually and I can't see myself using the GH like that either. But I'm sure it would be a pretty loose and enjoyable way to go about the day, and I doubt many, if any, would even have a clue what kind of dank you'd be vaping on. Even still, the ease of use is possibly the most appealing thing about the hopper, the fact that it's so easy to take anywhere, and so quick to use, and properly effective. It has made cannabis more accessible to me than I ever imagined it, and without even realising. In my mind it really signifies a change in technology akin to digital music. It changes nothing of the fundamentals but offers it all on demand in such a simple and better way.
A while back, there was much talk about using the hopper in the cinema, and at the time I didn't think much of the conversation. But I realise now the significance of that discussion - practical and easily accessible, consequence free access to cannabis. I'm constantly seeing entertainment options, like bowling, mini-golf, sport centres, whatever, and I always consider going there with a group and the hoppers, where as before I wouldn't think twice.
I'm sure most people in art galleries could greatly benefit from catching a glimpse of the future of civilised recreational intoxicants.
I drive around my city at night and see plenty of drunk people. One day the world will be civilised, and those people will be able to receive great service.

Last edited:

JoeMama

@MoltenTiger , thanks for all that detail... I agree that the more accurately and succinctly describe problems, the more direct will be the response from GHL. While it's great to see satisfaction happening with this process, it's very clear that your detailed interaction gave them everything they needed to be able to answer pointedly.

THIS. Every time someone rants about how shitty GHL CS is, my first reaction is a wish to be able to read a transcript of the entire interaction. I certainly can't speak to your use of "most", but if unhappy folks are using the same language and attitude with GHL that they use here, it's no wonder their interactions are less than satisfactory. The hopper folks are human too.

No, I am NOT absolving GHL of responsibility for timely and appropriate communication and CS. But those of us on the other end of the interaction have similar responsibilities.:2c:

Right on, Moon. I'm always curious about how that backstory influences the outcome. The Human Factor is subtle but always at work. It can mean the difference between getting good service and moving to the back of the line.
"You see, words are like bullets..." Sorry, SouthPark reference. Couldn't help myself. :D

Personally, I've had only good experience with GHL's service. I've needed replacement parts twice (two hoppers) and got them handled in a few days' time. That was 8 weeks ago, and I felt I was "lucky" that I happened to catch them on a good week, so to speak.

I sneak hits, because it's so easy to, or like go somewhere secluded for a minute, but I find myself wanting to use the GH stealth factor to vape in plain sight, and just act like I know what I'm doing so nobody would question it (of course anyone who knows me would know that I have zero interest in tobacco). Other than around work or my mom, I'm typically in situations where nobody would give a shit if I did this, whether they noticed or not, but I am more of a cautious person. Anyone use it this way?

Yep, I use it this way constantly. I live in a moderately small metro town and my hopper is either clipped to my shirt or pants pocket; Though I don't just whip it out indiscriminately (the hopper, that is), I have walked by people in mid-pull and it's just simply overlooked. So many people are walking around vaping nicotine with contraptions that look like power tools, and the hopper is simply ignored by most. Of course, I would always exhale in clear space (even though I have yet to notice any smell). I would never have attempted these things with the Pax (the device alone reeks!).

Now, I admit that subconsciously I'm perhaps wanting someone to run up to me and go, "WHOA, what is that incredible thing!? Where'd you get it?!?", and I'd be all ike, "Yyyeaahhh baby".

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
@MoltenTiger
Thanks for all of the info, that's the first time I've heard of the pin in the backend.

HL have boasted they've sorted 100% of their warranty cases and I think they have good grounds doing so. That's a pretty solid effort from them.

That line in their September update stuck out to me and seemed odd. I didn't think that was anything worth bragging about honestly. The other day it occurred to me that it could possibly be a subtle jab at the Firefly 2? Maybe I'm reading too much into it. Some people say I think too much, I don't think they think enough...

This is actually my first time sending in a vaporizer for service. It's encouraging to read all of the positive reports about the warranty process.

I probably erred on the side of being too concise with my email, if I had been a bit more specific I might not have had to send the whole unit back. Even though I've read about it several times in this thread, I never thought to swap backends on my hoppers. :doh:

That would have possibly allowed me to diagnose which part was having issues. Oh well, I have my trusty SS by my side so I'm in no rush. I don't need two hoppers, I just need a second hopper for backup purposes. It's a subtle distinction.

Last edited:

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
I wonder if that note from Caroline about resetting the pin should be in the fixes thread.
At first I thought that but the language is a bit confusing. I think it's not so much a fix as a diagnostic feature.

In other words, holding it in temporarily resets the pin, and when you let go the pin shifts out of position.

That's just my interpretation, I'm curious to hear other people's opinions.

Also, I like to have at least one confirmed case of a fix working before adding it to the thread.

moondog

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'
At first I thought that but the language is a bit confusing. I think it's not so much a fix as a diagnostic feature.

In other words, holding it in temporarily resets the pin, and when you let go the pin shifts out of position.

Also, I like to have at least one confirmed case of a fix working before adding it to the thread.

Good points. Obviously, I don't know which interpretation is correct. I just have this researcher mentality that says "include everything so you can find it later and at that point you'll sort out what's useful."

Given the nature of internet discourse, yours is probably the better approach. Cause if there's one thing true of this thread, it's that "it'll come up again." ;)

MoltenTiger

@MoltenTiger
I didn't think that was anything worth bragging about honestly.
I have my trusty SS by my side so I'm in no rush. I don't need two hoppers, I just need a second backup hopper. It's a subtle distinction.
I think it is a feat to be proud of, it certainly instils confidence in their lifetime warranty.
I stumble upon things like this and I'm happy I sent my money in the right direction.
Albeit I'd be even happier if my back-up hadn't cooked it on me

I agree, and I'd prefer if that particular information remained buried away from easy exposure.
I think there might be benefit to including the potential fix in the instance of repetitive but inconsistent power failures, however this would be best placed on HLs troubleshooting flow-chart.
As it isn't, I feel it's probably not really common enough to worry about any further.
However, knowing of it could have reduced my warranty response by 50%, so it's not worthless info.

Top Bottom