• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Discontinued The Grasshopper

Kasish

Since the hopper has landed last weekend I enjoy the insane cloud production, the very short heat up time and the unbeaten stealth factor very much. But I have to say it is the worst tasting convection vaporizer I own and even if I can deal with the heat it is the taste which makes me often reach for one of my other vaporizers. I'm usually using the hopper between 2.75 - 5 with a loose, fine grinded bowl. Is this normal or is my unit running to hot?
I think the taste is due to the oils hitting the tongue in this one, use some mouthpiece to cool the vapor a bit and get it farther from the tongue ull enjoy it more.

c76man

In search of the best terps and smoothest vapor
the grasshopper is my first vape and I have no problems with it I have not owned another vape so can't compare I've been smoking weed and tobacco in joints for 16 years and am now trying to quit tobacco, not smoking.
I cant afford to roll fat pure ones so invested in the grasshopper as it seemed the closest to smoking something in a rizzla that I can use on the go is anyone else using the grasshopper in a similar way?
I'm finding it to work quite well at simulating smoking
I do find the taste strange on higher temps is this normal for vapes?
managed 7 hours today without tobacco just give in now
Welcome to the vaping world.

Higher temps with vapes definitely degrade flavor. Lower temps result in fuller flavor. As you get to higher temps, it starts to move toward the spent herb/ABV flavor. That flavor is often described as similar to burnt popcorn.

On my third replacement and it's working but acting funny. Sometimes when the battery is still at 4+ volts it will give a dead battery signal and I have to unscrew and rescrew the back end.

Skywalker OG,

Mr. Me2

Shit happened again weird. (My screen preventing close)
That is weird. Just in case, did you look inside your mouthpiece for debris stuck in the threads? It may be time for a mouthpiece ISO soak. And then try tightening the screen again with your new fancy tweezers.

It's probably that the screen wasn't really tightened (because of resin or something), so when you unscrewed the mouthpiece the screen unscrewed too.

newVaper420

Vapor Enthusiast
That is weird. Just in case, did you look inside your mouthpiece for debris stuck in the threads? It may be time for a mouthpiece ISO soak. And then try tightening the screen again with your new fancy tweezers.

It's probably that the screen wasn't really tightened (because of resin or something), so when you unscrewed the mouthpiece the screen unscrewed too.

So I have cleaned my mouthpiece a few times by soaking in 91% ISO. However, when I first got my mouthpiece it was rattling. I thought nothing of it and just screwed it on. But maybe it was never seated properly to begin with.

Anyhow this morning I went to unscrew the mouthpiece and the screen just came right out. What I noticed was a lot of resin under the screen piece, etc. so I dunked in ISO and cleaned with a Q-Tip. I then proceeded to try to screw back in the screen to the mouthpiece. I had a lot of trouble. However I finally got it and I don't think I damaged the screen.

What I also noticed was either discoloration or heavy staining of the screen. Also, definitely discoloration by the mouthpiece tip. Looked like a copper/bronze color.

Anyhow, I hope I don't have any more screen issues. I only brought one load with me today. Therefore I won't have to unscrew the mouthpiece during the day (except if I want to empty the load, shit!) LOL

Last edited:

vapviking

Old & In the Way
So I have cleaned my mouthpiece a few times by soaking in 91% ISO. However, when I first got my mouthpiece it was rattling. I thought nothing of it and just screwed it on. But maybe it was never seated properly to begin with.

Anyhow this morning I went to unscrew the mouthpiece and the screen just came right out. What I noticed was a lot of resin under the screen piece, etc. so I dunked in ISO and cleaned with a Q-Tip. I then proceeded to try to screw back in the mouthpiece. I had a lot of trouble. However I finally got it and I don't think I damaged the screen.

What I also noticed was either discoloration or heavy staining of the screen. Also, definitely discoloration by the mouthpiece tip. Looked like a copper/bronze color.

Anyhow, I hope I don't have any more screen issues. I only brought one load with me today. Therefore I won't have to unscrew the mouthpiece during the day (except if I want to empty the load, shit!) LOL
Well done.
I had tried tighening screen with a pointy dental tool but it kept loosening. Having a good tool (the very pointy tweezers fit into the screen's holes) let me get a stronger torque and screen seems to stay in place. But now that hopper has failed so I'm not sure how long it would have stayed well seated.
Sounds like a good cleaning is what you needed.

greenextinguisher

Anyhow this morning I went to unscrew the mouthpiece and the screen just came right out. What I noticed was a lot of resin under the screen piece, etc. so I dunked in ISO and cleaned with a Q-Tip. I then proceeded to try to screw back in the screen to the mouthpiece. I had a lot of trouble. However I finally got it and I don't think I damaged the screen.

You aren't the first person this happened to. Someone else was complaining of the screen coming off every time they removed the front end. A heavy ISO soak and a tight twist of the tweezers, I believe, resolved it.

Your front-end sounds normal. The screen itself should get pretty clean, it looks like SS. There is a brass or copper dome (cooling unit?) as a separate piece in the front end and a hard plastic nipple coming off the back of the screen which gets pretty grungy-looking.

Do you feel like you are getting a tight grip and turn on the screen with the tweezers? It does sound like the screen was never seated properly. It seems to be an endless number of turns to get the screen to fully seat. I swear I must have been twisting for 2 or 3 minutes until it stopped turning. It was the same taking it out. Are you having a similar experience or is it stopping after a few turns?

newVaper420

Vapor Enthusiast
You aren't the first person this happened to. Someone else was complaining of the screen coming off every time they removed the front end. A heavy ISO soak and a tight twist of the tweezers, I believe, resolved it.

Your front-end sounds normal. The screen itself should get pretty clean, it looks like SS. There is a brass or copper dome (cooling unit?) as a separate piece in the front end and a hard plastic nipple coming off the back of the screen which gets pretty grungy-looking.

Do you feel like you are getting a tight grip and turn on the screen with the tweezers? It does sound like the screen was never seated properly. It seems to be an endless number of turns to get the screen to fully seat. I swear I must have been twisting for 2 or 3 minutes until it stopped turning. It was the same taking it out. Are you having a similar experience or is it stopping after a few turns?

Hmmm, that copper/brass thing didn't come out of my mouthpiece... Is it possible that piece is missing or stuck in there? I only notice that the screen came out. I did notice a brass, copper color but nothing that was as uniform as that video from the resource thread.

Maybe I'll go home after I have this work call and see if I can find it

Last edited:

btka

Hmmm, that copper/brass thing didn't come out of my mouthpiece... Is it possible that piece is missing or stuck in there? I only notice that the screen came out. I did notice a brass, copper color but nothing that was as uniform as that video from the resource thread.

Maybe I'll go home after I have this work call and see if I can find it
parts of mouthpiece:

https://radvapereviews.files.wordpress.com/2015/11/dsc0111-4.jpg?w=700&h=&crop=1

this all should be in your mouthpiece... ??? maybe this parts are gunked up and therefore stucked in mouthpiece?

Hawk

Ok thanks everyone. Crisis averted. And glad I didn't ultra screw it up. Was twisting tight but no movement.

Grabbed the tweezers couldn't find the cheaper ones from the resource thread. Mine cost $11.50. Anyhow, quality tweezers for a quality product. The screen was out a bit! I was surprised. Anyhow when I first got it, it wiggled but didn't do it after I screwed on and off for a bit. How likely is the screen the get misplaced? Aka am I gonna need to carry tweezers around LOL.

Everything is right in the world.

I am using at it 4 and 5. I put it a bit more in my mouth not on the tip. And if I feel any burning I adjust the angle or the speed. But I definitely get nice clouds. I can pull pretty good with it being comfortable. I don't think I'm pulling as hard as I do with my Hydratube.

The screens get turned if you have a some resin at the top of the threads on the body. Acts like glue against the screen and will turn the screen when you unscrew the mouthpiece. Just keep that top part clean and the screen will never unscrew.

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
I had a weird experience with the mouthpiece threads last night. I unscrewed the mouthpiece and emptied the chamber like I always do. I didn't refill it or anything. When I went to put the mouthpiece back on it caught on the threading right away and felt very rough. Not at all the normal buttery smooth threading.

The rough feeling was worse was at the very beginning of the threading, and then smoothed out a little but not as much as it should. I feared the worst, that a burr had developed on my body threads and I would have to deal with a warranty claim.

I tried quickly wiping everything off, it didn't help, still rough. It didn't look like there was anything in the threads, at least the ones on the body. It's hard to see the ones in the mouthpiece.

I gave both sets of threads a good scrubbing with iso. Still rough feeling. The cotton swabs were not very dirty at all, I cleaned my hopper thoroughly about two weeks ago. I also tried using a small soft-bristled brush thinking that might work better, but it was no help either.

After cleaning everything up I looked at the body threads under a 30x scope. I was surprised to not see any damage, although it still felt rough.

I had to leave the house so I just left it be, I figured I'd deal with it later. When I got home the threading was buttery smooth again. Something must have got in the inner mouthpiece threads, I don't know what caused it to get loose. Maybe it was a piece of herb and when it dried out after it got wet from cleaning it shrunk and popped out of the threads on its own. That's my best guess. Very weird. :hmm:

Either way I'm glad to be hopping at 100% again. I've honestly had no problem with the threading before in 10 weeks of ownership. I do a deep clean once a month and that's pretty much it for maintenance. Even that only takes 10-15 minutes.

I almost always load with a doob tube so that helps the threads stay clean.

Last edited:

Mr. Me2

I had a weird experience with the mouthpiece threads last night. I unscrewed the mouthpiece and emptied the chamber like I always do. I didn't refill it or anything. When I went to put the mouthpiece back on it caught on the threading right away and felt very rough. Not at all the normal buttery smooth threading.

The rough feeling was worse was at the very beginning of the threading, and then smoothed out a little but not as much as it should. I feared the worst, that a burr had developed on my body threads and I would have to deal with a warranty claim.

I tried quickly wiping everything off, it didn't help, still rough. It didn't look like there was anything in the threads, at least the ones on the body. It's hard to see the ones in the mouthpiece.

I gave both sets of threads a good scrubbing with iso. Still rough feeling. The cotton swabs were not very dirty at all, I cleaned my hopper thoroughly about two weeks ago.

After cleaning everything up I looked at the body threads under a 30x scope. I was surprised to not see any damage, although it still felt rough.

I had to leave the house so I just left it be, I figured I'd deal with it later. When I got home the threading was buttery smooth again. Something must have got in the inner mouthpiece threads, I don't know what caused it to get loose. Maybe it was a piece of herb and when it dried out after it got wet from cleaning it shrunk and popped out of the threads on its own. That's my best guess. Very weird. :hmm:

Either way I'm glad to be hopping at 100% again. I've honestly had no problem with the threading before in 10 weeks of ownership. I do a deep clean once a month and that's pretty much it for maintenance. Even that only takes 10-15 minutes.

I almost always load with a doob tube so that helps the threads stay clean.
I blame the gremlins...

newVaper420

Vapor Enthusiast
Ok that brass piece was stuck in there. So I didn't loose it, thank God. I unscrewed the screen and screwed it back in.

I hope I'm not damaging it. That screen looks pretty diesel though. Once you get a good grip with the tweezers, it's easy to move. I just hope I'm not breaking anything.

I'm contemplating ordering an additional mouthpiece, along with the sleeve, two more silicon tips, and maybe 3 more batteries, LMFAO.

Last edited:

greenextinguisher

Ok that brass piece was stuck in there. So I didn't loose it, thank God. I unscrewed the screen and screwed it back in.

I hope I'm not damaging it. That screen looks pretty diesel though. Once you get a good grip with the tweezers, it's easy to move. I just hope I'm not breaking anything.

I'm contemplating ordering an additional mouthpiece, along with the sleeve, two more mouthpieces, and maybe 3 more batteries, LMFAO.

I had the same concern taking it apart the first time. My tweezers kept slipping. It was really hard to get out. I remember thinking "I'm going to need a new front end because I fucking this screen up." It was totally fine when I finally got it out. It seems hella tough not like a normal screen.

JoeMama

I do get a bitter metallic aftertaste when I pull a little too hard. I generally associated that with overheating my taste buds rather than actually sampling metal, but who knows, if there is some Ti oxidation going on or whatever? It hasn't happened much or has been greatly reduced since getting my technique down.

There won't be any Ti oxidation at the mouthpiece thread end. Oxidation occurs under voltage/current conditions.
But I know what you mean about the metallic taste... I have no other convection experience so I can't compare it to other similar vapes, but I don't recall ever getting that taste with the Pax. Not that I mind too much... I agree though that the clouds go with the taste, and I like them clouds.

I had the same concern taking it apart the first time. My tweezers kept slipping. It was really hard to get out. I remember thinking "I'm going to need a new front end because I fucking this screen up." It was totally fine when I finally got it out. It seems hella tough not like a normal screen.

Ditto! In fact, I have yet to even get that screen out. It won't budge... I've tried everything mentioned (soaks, heated, etc), except for muscling it out with those tweezers for fear of damaging it. It's good to know that for all your worries, you hadn't damaged it... perhaps I'll try again...

BUT, it's ALSO good to know that there is that plastic piece that travels directly to the mouthpiece exit. I had thought that there would be resin buildup on the inside of the "cone", but that obviously isn't the case, so, meanwhile, a good pipe cleaning on that tube while it's in the mouthpiece will apparently keep most of the buildup under control. Right?

Last edited:

Kermitt

I have bought my Hopper from Vaposhop. I have to say Vaposhop is a shop with an excellent service.

My Hopper gets hot at the back end from the beginning, and I avoided it, to send my GH in for warranty. Why? It's a long way from Germany-USA-Germany. I do not like to be without my GH so long.

Therefore I contact the Vaposhop. They send me a retourlabel immediatly. Furthermore they will send me a brand new Hopper as soon as my GH arrived their warehouse.

I think better isn't possible :-)

I'm happy, now I have this matter out of my mind

vapognak

I have bought my Hopper from Vaposhop. I have to say Vaposhop is a shop with an excellent service.

My Hopper gets hot at the back end from the beginning, and I avoided it, to send my GH in for warranty. Why? It's a long way from Germany-USA-Germany. I do not like to be without my GH so long.

Therefore I contact the Vaposhop. They send me a retourlabel immediatly. Furthermore they will send me a brand new Hopper as soon as my GH arrived their warehouse.

I think better isn't possible :-)

I'm happy, now I have this matter out of my mind
well you have been smarter than me!

I was in your situation, I live in France, I had a SS GH from vaposhop, hot backend as well, but I did send my unit in Boulder Colorado (vaposhop did asked me to do so) and it came back with the following message:

Caroline (Hopper Labs)

I replaced your Battery. Your Back End was tested to run in the acceptable range of temperatures.

:\:\:ugh:

Last edited:
vapognak,
Top Bottom