1. A not-so-short post addressing what's been going on recently.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Interested in a popular vape? Short on time? Be sure to check out the Best Of threads for Plug-Ins and Portables.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

The Grasshopper

Discussion in 'Portable Vaporizers' started by midgetsanchez, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Mr. Me2

Mr. Me2 Well-Known Member

I don't think so. Wait until it really crashes for good. I got mine working again so I'm riding the wave like you. I admit I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop, but if it's working now, I'm just going to enjoy it.

Let's hope it never happens to both of us!

Btw, and I don't know if it matters, but I never change the batteries when it's "on".

slcbdco and newVaper420 like this.
  2. JoeMama

JoeMama Well-Known Member

Thanks, Mr.Me....
    Yes I would think it's true not to change batteries while it's on... I guess that can happen if you forget to turn it off after you hit it. Which given the nature of what yer hitting, it can happen :razz:

Mr. Me2, moondog and newVaper420 like this.
  3. newVaper420

newVaper420 Vapor Enthusiast

Hahahah off topic but I just bought a mighty too. And I've bought a ton of new accessories. Lmfao. Does the ratchet case fit in your pants? I'm still leaning towards the Kroo that @Kermitt found for me :-)

-------

Edit: hmmm my initial battery only lasted two sessions. It was about 3.7 and the hopper was flashing lights? Does that seem right? Also sometimes the blue lights blink real fast? What's that about? Thanks for all your help guys. A few pages back I posted how I don't think this would replace my Evo. Well guess what? My Evo hasn't appeared today LOL.

------

More Edits: should I be concerned that my backend is getting hot? I mean performance is still killer. Nice dark brown ABV. Also, what's the best way to empty the chamber? Sometimes it doesn't come out easily.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
    moondog likes this.
  4. Ratchett

Ratchett Vape Accessories Delta3DStudios.com Accessory Maker

The problem started when you replaced batteries correct? You may be able to fix it yourself without sending it back in for repairs

• Check the threads inside the hopper body and on the backend - clean off any dirt/debris you might encounter - make sure it's spotless!
    • Have an alternative spare battery? Try using it!
    • Try using an external charger to confirm the charger isn't your problem
    • Use some compressed air to blow loose any debris inside the temp adjuster.
    • Give twist the temperature back and forth, give it a few good twists and try to 'feel' any grittiness. Keep twisting it until it's smooth as you can get - use some more compressed air if necessary
    • Try twisting the on-switch clicker 90-degrees and giving it a few clicks
    • LAST RESORT - slam that damn clicker off and on a few times against the desk fast and furiously!
      • No, please don't do this (but seriously, it seemed to have worked for me)

WakeAndVape, ooo, Mr. Me2 and 4 others like this.
  5. moondog

moondog It's an obsession but it's pleasin'

If this is the first time all the items on this list are appearing in one list, this is a good candidate for the resource thread. Maybe without the last bullet point. ;)

Ratchett, Vapor_Eyes and ZC like this.
  6. JoeMama

JoeMama Well-Known Member

Yo!! It seems to have worked! So far, at least....
    Threads were pristine, sure, and I didn't sense any grittiness on the Temp Dial. ButI futzed around a bit more like a maniac on the clicker and dial anyway. Gave it about 50 rapid clicks. There is a certain 'sense' you get from rotating that on-switch clicker part; it may just be the spring mechanism, but hey, it seemed for the time being to put me back in business. :tup:

I was near that Last Resort, actually. I used to repair TV's that way. :)

Hopefully it will stay consistent.

Thanks, Ratchett!

7. moondog

moondog It's an obsession but it's pleasin'

The engineers I worked with in broadcasting used to call it "percussive maintenance".:goon:

Ratchett, Mr. Me2, Gregori and 4 others like this.
  8. Joel W.

Joel W. Deplorable Basement Dweller Accessory Maker

This just got my red/blue lights to stay blue and function again. I am a bit stumped as to why it worked because I have 2 backends that worked fine with one hopper but not on the other.

I contacted HL yesterday and I think they already have my replacement body coming. Not sure what to do now.. lol

Cool fix!

Edit: I got 3 hits and it was back to the red/blue's hmmm...

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
    moondog, Ratchett and Vapor_Eyes like this.
  9. ZC

ZC Well-Known Member

My grasshopper is missing in action.

I hope I just put it somewhere stupid but fear the dogs grabbed it and hid it somewhere. Wish me luck.

virtualpurple, moondog and Vapor_Eyes like this.
  10. Vapor_Eyes

Vapor_Eyes The map is not the territory

I really wanted my second hopper today. They can be handy for other things than backup purposes.

I had to make a short trip out of town, it was kind of a two chamber trip if you know what I mean. I didn't want to bring any loose cannabis or worry about reloading. Ideally I would have loaded up two hoppers and been on my way.

Instead, I decided to make a kief sandwich with some of my top shelf private stock reserve flowers. I loaded more than usual, probably .07 or .08. It was still nice and fluffy in the chamber, not packed down.

I ended up getting 3 tasty potent clouds at temp 4, then bumped it up to temp 5 for 3 more huge, face melting clouds.

It worked perfect, I didn't have to worry about reloading at all. In fact, I took the last hit of the chamber after I got home.

It was a fantastic trip made all the better by the Grasshopper.

11. Bdubbdiblets

Bdubbdiblets Well-Known Member

I realize lately with my hopper I have been over medicating...this thing is powerful. I've cut back to one chamber whereas normally I would do 2 and even sometimes 3 per sesh. I was just used to that from other devices. It creeps a bit but I am nice and toasty for quite a while..(especially if I make a reclaim Sammy:freak:)...true herb press this hopper..:tup:

Now if they can figure the whole shotty battery performance/hot back end thing out...well then I'm cured.
    :clap:
    Grasshopper=un-VAS

moondog, newVaper420 and Vapor_Eyes like this.
  12. Vapor_Eyes

Vapor_Eyes The map is not the territory

It's funny, I almost never do a full chamber in a session with my Grasshopper. I'm a microdoser in general, and especially so with the hopper. I just use it to "top up" while out and about. Even at home I usually just take one or two hits at a time. As a medical user it is nice to be able to take just as much as you need.

With conduction session vapes I find myself over medicating, finishing a session just because my herb is going to be cooked anyways so I might as well be hitting it rather than wasting it.

Of course, when I use my hopper with water it is a little easier to over medicate. I can almost clear an entire chamber on one hit at temp 5. :science:

That was a great post! I've added it to the Grasshopper Fixes resource:

http://fuckcombustion.com/resources/grasshopper-fixes.11/

moondog, Ratchett, Mr. Me2 and 2 others like this.
  13. newVaper420

Is there any recommendation from hopper labs regarding cleaning the backend? I seem to have some black stuff on the clicker portion and my threads do look a bit gunky. Any suggestions?

Edit: I've found that I can cut back on usage too. Whereas, I used to do 2 ELBs per session of ~.1 with my cloud Evo, I now do 1 chamber of .1 with the grasshopper. Then I wait for it to cool down. But I almost never go for another chamber unless I'm really not feeling well. Incredible.

moondog and Vapor_Eyes like this.
  14. Gramin

Gramin Well-Known Member

So I was getting flickering blue on a fresh battery. While inhaling I pushed down on the temp ring part and noticed it manipulated the flickering. I pushed down even harder and felt the battery contact move, suddenly my flickering lights went solid blue and I pulled a milky hit. Probably not something to recommend but I will continue to experiment. I might need to run some floss between my dial.

moondog likes this.
  15. newVaper420

Is it best to let the battery in the unit go to blinking red and then charge if? I've been charging after like two chambers. I just put it in. It was at 3.84 or something like that.

Secondly, are the blue lights supposed to flicker during pulls? For instance, lights will be solid. Then I use the Hydratube and they are strobing.

Also just now my backend was pretty hot and I didn't see much visible vapor but I still got ripped. It could have been my pack which I felt was a little light to begin with. When I dumped it out, it wasn't as brown as I anticipated it to be. Again, could be due to my pack.

I packed .12 of Gorilla Glue for the morning when I wake up for the day in a few hours and I'll resume the experimentation :-). This has been fun.

I'm nervous that this unit isn't going to last long but I sure hope it does because it has quickly become my favorite vaporizer to date.

16. Mr. Me2

Have you checked out the gh resources page for some flickering blue light fixes? I'm guessing but think it's caused by a less than perfect battery contact. I think that's why we're reading a number of different fixes that seem to make the flickering blue stop.

17. newVaper420

Interestingly enough, I do notice gunk on the backend metal contact. How is it recommended to clean that?

Secondly, my other battery doesn't flicker when using. I just noticed. So so far so good without me doing anything.

Backend is still getting warm.

I feel like that session was a bit weaker but it could just be me getting used to the hopper 1 and 2 I'm getting toward the end of the strains I have and I always feel that the beginning is way better for whatever reason.

That being said, I always do 2 cloud elbs and I'm still rocking 1 hopper and getting absolutely blitzed, like right now LOL.

moondog likes this.
  18. Mr. Me2

I just removed the gunk with my thumbnail. Did you check all of your batteries for buildup too? I'm sure others here will have a much better method. Let's wait for them to wake up...it's still early for some lazy heads.

19. gkaraman

gkaraman Well-Known Member

Hello hoppers !!

I am intrested in Grasshoper about when I just first heared it years ago but now I found some budget..

After reading many last pages of the thread I am afraid for the estimated ship date from their online store..

Now they say that the estimated ship date is September 2016, that is in 5-10 days. Is that true ? Now the time is real ? Or it is better to buy from an authorized store like vapefiend or vaposhop ,etc? I live in Greece, Europe so it is a little far from U.S..

What is the best offer that exist now in authorized stores for Europe shipping?

What about titanium vs stainless steel ? Is one more powerfull ? Is one gets less hot at backend or mouthpiece or their vapor harshness ? Or it is the same but just lighter and more durable ?

Michel likes this.
  20. Mr. Me2

Hello @gkaraman !

And welcome to the hopper express! Even though the company has estimated shipping for new orders as September 2016, don't be surprised if that date gets pushed. The question is by how much.

Since you are in Greece (and btw, how's the weather?), you may be best off to buy from a European authorized seller. You should definitely get one faster that way.

If I remember right, a fc'er is selling his unused gh through the classifieds on this site(and looking for a European buyer). Take a look...that may solve all of your problems.

Regarding titanium v. stainless steel, unless you must have a color, I think the difference is minor. More sensitive people here may disagree, though. The ti is lighter, but not enough to make a difference in my opinion. And it's body is supposed to cool down quicker. Again, this is just a matter of degree. Both share the same internals, so they work the same.

I think it may just come down to personal preference, and in your case, availability and price difference.

Here's hoping you get one soon!

Edit: okay, I checked the fc classifieds for you and I remembered right. @vapen00b is selling his ss grasshopper and is looking for an EU buyer. It even says "PRICE DROP". I think you should reach out to him. This could be a match made in heaven.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
    Kermitt, vapen00b, vapviking and 3 others like this.
  21. newVaper420

Ok I just used a little ISO on a qtip because that's what I saw on the resource thread. I'm not sure if it caused discoloration or what not, but I'm not gonna mess anymore. I'm not sure why it would cause discoloration though. Although maybe the gunk is what removed the color.

I cleaned the threads too. There was a lot of nasty stuff in there as well.

I'm gonna eat some breakfast and then give it a go and I'll let you know :-). Hopefully I didn't do anything bad.

moondog and Mr. Me2 like this.
  22. Mr. Me2

Fingers crossed for you. Bet you see improvement.

newVaper420 likes this.
  23. newVaper420

I went back in checked an am certain the ISO did not cause discoloration. It looks like where the battery is or what not. And it could also be an optical illusion with the light and stuff.

Anyhow - I'm eating some frosted mini wheats. After I finish this I'll give it a go.

moondog and Mr. Me2 like this.
  24. Michel

Michel Well-Known Member

Since I just pulled the trigger on the last Ti Grasshopper from www.verdampftnochmal.de and www.vaposhop.de is out of stock too, you might take a look @VapeFiend.com . He has even colored Ti's available now, but he has the highest price amongst them when converted to €

As European customer you definitively should consider chances are high you have to send it back for warranty once in its lifetime (or Hopper lab's lifetime). Personally I wouldn't by from HL directly as I'm in the same boat like you and I don't want to deal with customs and high shipping rates. And since @VapeFiend.com is in the UK I would make sure that he'll be able to warranty without custom fees or other politically caused problems by the Brexit...

Edit: I never looked on ebay, neither in the classifieds (which could have been an option to me.) If I had known I might have bought from @vapen00b ...

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
    GrandWazoo, gkaraman and Mr. Me2 like this.
  25. newVaper420

Ok Mr. Me2 - results of the cleaning. There is good news and there is bad news. The bad news is that the back end is still warm. That doesn't really concern me to honest. The other bad news is I'm a complete idiot. I'm ripping this thing through my Hydratube and I'm like it's just not working right. It's just not working right. I look at the dial and I was on 3. DUHHHHHH! I'm usually at 4 or above. So I must say, it was pumping out awesome extraction for 3 on the dial. I actually couldn't believe it.

So I think it did help a bit and I didn't get the flashing lights on the unit. I'm going to get my extra 3 batteries (by the way, whoever told me to order more was right on. I feel like I need to order 5 more or so LMAO!).

This thing has become my daily driver. And once I get everything in order, and Hopper gets its production together and on point I'm gonna order a colored titanium or a stainless steel as a backup. I mean, I love my Cloud Evo. But now, I feel like, oh man, do I have to use the Cloud Evo. Please hopper last a long time. I love this thing. I gotta say, I wouldn't believe it. I couldn't believe it. But I think this is better then the Evo

slcbdco, moondog and Mr. Me2 like this.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors