Discontinued The Grasshopper

WoodyWeedPecker

That's part of learning the required technique for each. To me, that's part of the fun.
This is so true. It's so fun to have a new vaporizer and try all different things to make it work perfectly for you in many different ways. I feel like a scientist varying bowl sizes, temps, packing method, grinding consistency, drawing style, angle of holding the gh, etc. I may have overdid it "for the science", I'm so baked!! :D

Vapor Loop

Does anyone have a back-end that gets hot that is in perfect condition?

Between the two I have, one is rigid in every way, and the other one, that heats up, has some play when wiggled (where the clip joins and the stainless ring on the back-end [when held separate to the unit]).
I'm wondering if that is the cause of the high resistance and heat.

I get the same performance on either hopper no matter the back-end, but the blue one doesn't get hot. Battery life seems comparable too.

I noticed mine can spike if i accidentally press in that area, And it can slightly shock.

I also noticed i'm a huge flavor chasing power hitter. I have yet to see anyone say they had to slow there draw speed with this one, Well i sure as hell did to get my abv like my E-nano. I can hit this thing on 5 no silicone or anything and get nice tasting evenly vaporized material. I keep mine around 3.9-4 the first couple draws now and slowed my draw down. I can get much bigger draws on this than any log and i'm very log experienced. I own all three currently made in the U.s my nano is nearly three years now.

The people complaining of heat must be using it wrong because i'm fine with it unless my draw goes over 30 seconds. The Air can be rather harsh to me, And i'm just flat out sensitive to some units and have to add extra screens. The Hopper seems to keep it in place better, And when ground too fine i can stick the particulate to the roof of my mouth to avoid the massive irritation i get from inhalation of it.

greenextinguisher

I have yet to see anyone say they had to slow there draw speed with this one

That's the conclusion I came to at the end of page 436. Most of the advice from GH and the community is to pull hard. That ruined my mouth for days. It goes to show you that one persons hard, fast pull is a another person's long, slow draw. I'm a persistent and patient fuck. Now that I have a better grip on that, its time to take everything from the top! Still looking for that flavor. I honestly hated this thing for a minute and totally get why some % of people flat out reject it.

Its lucky its such a cool little bug otherwise it would have gotten squashed really fast. :goon: ... :rip: ... :zombie:

Mr. Me2

That's the conclusion I came to at the end of page 436. Most of the advice from GH and the community is to pull hard. That ruined my mouth for days. It goes to show you that one persons hard, fast pull is a another person's long, slow draw. I'm a persistent and patient fuck. Now that I have a better grip on that, its time to take everything from the top! Still looking for that flavor. I honestly hated this thing for a minute and totally get why some % of people flat out reject it.

Its lucky its such a cool little bug otherwise it would have gotten squashed really fast. :goon: ... :rip: ... :zombie:
I can't tell how much I hope that ghl's second vape applies their convection know how, and abandons stealth in favor of larger or dual batteries and a longer air path. To me, that would be the end all-be all!

greenextinguisher

I can't tell how much I hope that ghl's second vape applies their convection know how, and abandons stealth in favor of larger or dual batteries and a longer air path. To me, that would be the end all-be all!

I think there is still plenty of hope for mods to this current design, though it would get rather long if you extend the airpath and fit in another battery. haha! Is that a modded grasshopper in your pocket or do you have an abnormally long and skinny penis? Seriously, dude, see a doctor.

I agree, though. GH2 FTW

greenextinguisher,
Reactions: Mr. Me2

Mr. Me2

I think there is still plenty of hope for mods to this current design, though it would get rather long if you extend the airpath and fit in another battery. haha! Is that a modded grasshopper in your pocket or do you have an abnormally long and skinny penis? Seriously, dude, see a doctor.

I agree, though. GH2 FTW
It's not skinny for a grasshopper

Mr. Me2,

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I had one of these but never tried it with the gh. But i'm using a glass mouthpiece of my mighty vaporizer which is thinner then the roor tip. I think the roor tip could be too wide to fit into the hole of the silicone mp of the gh. I can really recommend the mighty glass mp or a mflb glass mp.
I just tried the regular (not glass) mouthpiece from Mighty shoved into the silicone mp and it was pretty nice!
The abbreviated cooling unit. Quite compact and just enough distance from the heat.
Thanks!

MoltenTiger

I noticed mine can spike if i accidentally press in that area, And it can slightly shock.

I also noticed i'm a huge flavor chasing power hitter. I have yet to see anyone say they had to slow there draw speed with this one, Well i sure as hell did to get my abv like my E-nano. I can hit this thing on 5 no silicone or anything and get nice tasting evenly vaporized material. I keep mine around 3.9-4 the first couple draws now and slowed my draw down. I can get much bigger draws on this than any log and i'm very log experienced. I own all three currently made in the U.s my nano is nearly three years now.

The people complaining of heat must be using it wrong because i'm fine with it unless my draw goes over 30 seconds. The Air can be rather harsh to me, And i'm just flat out sensitive to some units and have to add extra screens. The Hopper seems to keep it in place better, And when ground too fine i can stick the particulate to the roof of my mouth to avoid the massive irritation i get from inhalation of it.
I am pretty sure I stated after first getting my GH, that in order to get the most dense clouds through glass, you need to have a slower than maximum drag, but it can cope with a faster airspeed than my modded EQ.
However I've found using two hoppers is an amazing way to get the most out of a chamber. Having both plugged into a bong means there's less toll on each device and you can rip as fast as possible and get constant hyper cloud density. I feel like the combo would be more seriously like a portable EVO.

It got me thinking, I would love a cabled device with multiple separate chambers, maybe smaller than the hoppers, and a selective heater control.
A more powerful device with the Hoppers heater technology is going to be a must have item I think. But seriously, apart from the coordination required I feel pretty well off as is.

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
I am pretty sure I stated after first getting my GH, that in order to get the most dense clouds through glass, you need to have a slower than maximum drag, but it can cope with a faster airspeed than my modded EQ.
However I've found using two hoppers is an amazing way to get the most out of a chamber. Having both plugged into a bong means there's less toll on each device and you can rip as fast as possible and get constant hyper cloud density. I feel like the combo would be more seriously like a portable EVO.

It got me thinking, I would love a cabled device with multiple separate chambers, maybe smaller than the hoppers, and a selective heater control.
A more powerful device with the Hoppers heater technology is going to be a must have item I think. But seriously, apart from the coordination required I feel pretty well off as is.
I can't wait to get my second hopper so I can double them up. I have all the tools ready to go.

JoeMama

It's taken me the full two weeks I've had the hopper, using it for 2 to 3 battery charges per day, to have made the necessary changes to what to expect from this little thing. Like you said, if it wasn't so cool I might have stuck with my Pax and looked into more serious convection equipment.

But after this amount of playing with it, I kind of see it more like my personal "eppy pen" for the allergies of life. It delivers the goods, doesn't waste herb (once you dig the whole ritual of using it), and it has its own unique appeal to me. :nod:

Hogni

Honi soit qui mal y pense
I have written it often here, I would like a GH with 18650 batteries. It speaks nothing against it, if the Hopper gets a big brother :-)
I would definitely buy one immediately.

Construction and effectiveness of the GH is awesome and transferably to other/bigger units. So I believe hopefully it WILL come a big bro aside the GH-pen in the future. I'm already eager for it!
It would be a waste if not.
But up to then they have to fixed their issues and issue their announced other items.

Churrucaman

My second grasshopper died tonight, lasted about month and a half (first one had an issue with temp setting). It showed the cop lights before but usually revived soon after, last night wasn't the case and now is just an expensive fiesta lights pen, a nice looking one though. Also thinking HL should include a party mode alas PAX in future versions.

I have a spares order on route, which makes it more infuriating but at least I'll have a lot of batteries and some extras whenever I'm able to have this thing working again.

Still I can say this device is amazing and a real game changer for me. Being an early adopter and having suffered issues with new vaporizers before I knew the risk, but just having the chance to test this tech was worth it, I cannot see the day in which we can see this kind of heaters working in units not so limited by the size factor (+1 for the 18650 version) and will anyways prolly order another unit once they have the design polished.

Finally I'd like to drop an idea for those like me that like tinkering (and perhaps for an HL engineer lurking around?): The mouthpiece heat and vapor temperature should be easy to solve and with manufacturing capabilities could even keep the form factor adopting the a'maze'd pipe or similar design.

For those that never seen one it's a combusting pipe that creates a long air channel in a small space by channeling the smoke through a maze. This could be done over a rod that would double as heat sink and prevent heat in the tip as well. The amazed size almost fits but isn't a go since the threading is different and air flow is too restricted on the amazed but there could be others that may work better and would sure provide a better flavor and improve session capabilities with just a minor size improvement. HL feel free to give me a 5% for the idea, I'm not a greedy man :haw:

MoltenTiger

That's a great analogy! And I agree.

For a medical user the Grasshopper is really a top notch portable. It's so quick and consistent that it makes it much easier to microdose and reach the proper level of medication right away and then go about your business.
I agree, but, it also makes it stupidly easy to get catatonic :lol:

I can't wait to get my second hopper so I can double them up. I have all the tools ready to go.
I did a walrus hit last night, one hopper with Afghan Kush, the other with some Current Kush and kief. It was like eating snow :science:

lovecrush

http://goo.gl/EsKJzJ
My second hopper also shat the bed within 24 hours of usage.

The first one: after a day using it, it started to change its lights from red to blue in 2 seconds and was producing no heat. It started working again somehow but it died definitely after a few days. They sent me a new body.
The current one: after some hours using the newly received body, got static red light and no heat. It alternates sometimes with a static purple light.

Waiting on my second warranty body. :rip::shrug:

lovecrush,

Mr. Me2

The first one: after a day using it, it started to change its lights from red to blue in 2 seconds and was producing no heat. It started working again somehow but it died definitely after a few days. They sent me a new body.
The current one: after some hours using the newly received body, got static red light and no heat. It alternates sometimes with a static purple light.

So sorry to hear of your troubles!

vapviking

Old & In the Way

Yes, sorry to hear about your trouble.
Purple light? Is this a new 'hopper thing'?

vapviking,
Reactions: lovecrush

lovecrush

http://goo.gl/EsKJzJ
Yes, sorry to hear about your trouble.
Purple light? Is this a new 'hopper thing'?

I don't know if this is new, but it's real...

561b0187e4b6d02f8d0b335568a63adf.png

Mr. Me2

Okay, I've made the pilgrimage to CVS and procured the precision tip tweezers a la @Mr. Me2 and the Hopper Fixes Resource. ;) :tup:
Torque has been applied to chronic loose mouthpiece screen. The tweezers do seem to work great for this purpose.
Rigorous testing follows.
So it seems that my reputation survives. Whew!

Maybe I should wait for that further rigorous testing...

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
I was out and about recently and my back end was getting warm again. I did the twisting temp dial fix and the next hit it was cool again. I need to get one of those gold pens soon.

I would like to thank everyone for their contributions to the Fixes resource. The content is where the value lies, I'm merely collecting it in one place. Let's keep sharing tips. They may not work for everybody but as long as we can get the occasional person hopping again without a warranty request it's all worth it.

And the fewer warranty requests there are, the quicker everyone gets their Grasshoppers. Win-win!

Mr. Me2

I was out and about recently and my back end was getting warm again. I did the twisting temp dial fix and the next hit it was cool again. I need to get one of those gold pens soon.

I would like to thank everyone for their contributions to the Fixes resource. The content is where the value lies, I'm merely collecting it in one place. Let's keep sharing tips. They may not work for everybody but as long as we can get the occasional person hopping again without a warranty request it's all worth it.

And the fewer warranty requests there are, the quicker everyone gets their Grasshoppers. Win-win!
I may have another one to add for the resources, but it's so straightforward it may not be needed.

The other day, my gh started getting the flickering blue lights again. I thought it may be due to buildup on the battery or contact. But what I found was that the backend was not sufficiently tightened. I gave it the extra twist and the flickering stopped. I never even checked the battery or contact for buildup.

greenextinguisher

people! I'm really starting to like this one!

First, that hydrotube is a lot of fun. Its a no brainer for the grasshopper unless you are loaded up with glass already and don't need anything portable. Its tiny and totally stashable while still doing a solid job.

I did about 1.5 lightly packed full bowls through it and watched this week's episode of Mr. Robot. It wasn't just the heavy level of medication, that was a freaky episode!

Clouds, don't need to talk about the clouds. You know about the clouds. Clouds. Also, a surprising bit of flavor. I was high beyond what I normally go for these days.

A little later I was bored waiting up on my wife, watching her uber slowly work its way home, so I hit it native. I slowed down even further, like my FF2 draw but maybe even slower and about half the length. I blew two really big clouds of comfortable, flavorful vapor. 4-4.25ish. It was pretty fucking nice.

This thing just went legit on me. Its making a play to move up the roster.

I should note that I was medicating with something new to me yesterday. Popcorn Kush. Not bad. I was on a sativa run for a while, so I'll have to go back and try some of them again from the archive. It's possible the new material was playing a role.

A note on the flavor: the flavor experience is a little different than I'm used to. Since I "choke up" when hitting native like many have suggested to avoid a hot mouthpiece, a lot of the vapor misses my tongue on the way in. I'm getting more on exhale and also more residual flavor after the hit is gone. I think I'm tasting condensed vapor on my palate and around my mouth. You can also get some if you exhale out your nose. Its a different experience but still pleasant.

Everyone needs to find what works for them, but as a great starting point: pack light and draw slow. Increase either as you desire and feel comfortable.

Top Bottom