1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

The Grasshopper

Discussion in 'Portable Vaporizers' started by midgetsanchez, Jun 8, 2015.

1. 507E

507E Well-Known Member

I've had my ti grasshopper for about 2 months now. It gets used daily with 3 batteries in rotation. Haven't used the stock charger yet,just my nite core. I love this vaporizer. It definitely exceeds my expectations. It's very convenient on the go and lovely for home use also.

2. Kermitt

Kermitt Well-Known Member

And your batteries works fine after 2 months of using?

Vapetrees and Vapor_Eyes like this.
  3. JoeMama

JoeMama Well-Known Member

Sunday I was showing a friend how to use the GH, and as I was replacing the battery for a fresh rip, I noticed that the diameter of the contact on the back of the battery is minimally larger than the contact on the backend. But then I dismissed it, because, well, I was showing a friend how to use the GH. :)

Seriously, if I had a micrometer..... @Ratchett , you must have one! haha... can you measure those circles??

I can't really get any clouds at 5 seconds! Takes me well into the 7-10 second mark to feel the heated/vapor mix thickening. Winds up being a 12-15 second hit with another 3 or 4 seconds on a off-status pull. And as @Baron23 says below, I gotta pull hard.

Between @Vapor_Eyes style of doing T3 and light load, and this style above, I'm somewhere between those two approached. But I have about 5 strains at a time sitting around and each one I have to play differently. The problem is I forget and (again) get frustrated by the level of detail I think I have to consider when using different herb.

The friend that I was mentioning above, owns a hopper, but she isn't getting that you gotta man-up with it and SUCK. Wait, that didn't come out right.

4. Vapor_Eyes

Vapor_Eyes The map is not the territory

My hopper pretty much stays at T4 actually. I tried the lower temps the first day I got it, almost exactly eight weeks ago.

Sometimes I get strains that are difficult to extract so I'll finish a chamber with a hit or two at T5. I really like to stay at 4 though, for me it's the perfect balance between flavor and vapor density.

I have one battery that is 8 weeks old and another that is 6 weeks old. I can still get two chambers on each, and have about 3.80v when I go to charge them.

The hopper is not my primary vape so my batteries haven't seen the same amount of use as other people's. I'd say I charge each of them once a day on average, so about 50 charges on each battery. That means I should start seeing decreased performance soon.

I'm going to run these batteries into the ground and then I will have 6 fresh ones to use when I get my preorder. I will keep those in rotation so they should last longer. At $7 I'm happy with the battery's performance so far.

Vapetrees, moondog and Kermitt like this.
  5. JoeMama

Apologies, Vapor_Eyes... I may be confusing posts... so sorry... But T4 seems like the median for many of us. It is a sweet spot, and there's always T5 for the stubborn strains, true.

I'm thinking I should order a half-dozen more batteries to supplement the three I have in rotation, each roughly doing a charge per day.

I can't measure voltage on my UM20... only percentage. Upgrade maybe...

Vapetrees and Vapor_Eyes like this.
  6. VimFuego

VimFuego Member

Yeah, I'm in the UK myself so turn-around time will be long.

7. Kermitt

@VimFuego

Why do you changed your back end? Because it gets hot, or are there other reasons? My GH gets hot and I guess, it effects the batteries. How is your experience with the batteries?

I have 5 batteries and after 4 weeks of using, I noticed the batteries lost power. Now after 10 weeks, they are worthless on the go.

I think this is not normal, but I'am not sure. The hot back end itself doesn't bother me.
    I would annoy me, to be so long without the Hopper, only to find out, that the batteries are not better with cold back end^^

8. VimFuego

VimFuego Member

Yeah, my original back end got extremely hot and the replacement the same. I've got four batteries and they don't seem to last as long as they did in the first week or two (it's now about 4-5 weeks in.

Kermitt and Vapor_Eyes like this.
  9. Kermitt

It would be interesting to know if all GH with a hot back end also have problems with the batteries. It would also be interesting to know, whether people with a cold back end, have a loss of power, even at an early stage. Perhaps the batteries are simply fast at their end of life.

I find it unfortunately difficult to express myself, this is not my usual language. Sorry for that :-)

Vapetrees, Vapor_Eyes and akwardsauce like this.
  10. Kalessin

Kalessin Well-Known Member

Neither of the backends I've had exhibit battery issues and they get at least warm, at times. Not so hot I can't touch it, but enough heat I can feel it heating up if my fingers are near to but not touching it

Vapor_Eyes, moondog and Kermitt like this.
  11. YaFreekin Right

YaFreekin Right Well-Known Member

I'm quite certain the hot back end will affect the batteries. They are already being pushed very hard(impossible to know design max since these are custom batteries) and this being a regulated device it will have to up the amps to overcome the losses created by the hot back end. This is the same reason I believe you experience a hotter backend as the voltage drops(batteries get low).

12. Kermitt

I'm going to see if the heat changes, the emptier the battery is.

I have new batteries of today. Now I got along all evening with one battery. In my memory I have on the first day, when I got the GH, directly several batteries needed.

I will continue to monitor and then decide if I send the GH on warranty.

Vapetrees likes this.
  13. JoeMama

I think your written English is fantastic...

There must be an effect on efficiency if the backend is "more than warm", or, gets hotter sometimes more than others. My only logic in making this statement is that it just seems to me that if there is even one hopper out there that typically never gets hot (like mine and many others here), then, any hopper that gets "too hot" is not functioning properly. If energy makes heat, it is 'syphoned-off' energy and therefore decreasing the oven efficiency.
    Some have in the past mentioned that the hot chamber material is spreading to the body, but, I don't buy that if we're talking about a single (even long) hit.

My 2ยข:rant:

With the apparent bottleneck opening up with GHL shipments, methinks there will be a LOT of new battery orders that could cause another bottleneck when GHL tries to manage its supply?

Am I being negative? I'll shut up now. But I'm ordering more batteries.

Hogni, 6079Smith, Vapetrees and 4 others like this.
  14. vapognak

vapognak Well-Known Member

I also have a lot of concern about the real cause behind the hot back end.
    If it's not because of a faulty battery, would it be possible that the body of the GH fails to drive correctly the electrical current, resulting in the heat in the back end? or the back end itself might be the culprit?
    I hope HL would have the answer, as for now they just have sent me back my unit from warranty, with a still hot back end...

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
  15. JoeMama

I guess it could be the battery, I don't know. But if it is, I would expect it to behave consistently - that is, always making the backend hot. If the backend isn't consistent (taking into account the varying backend heat versus battery drain), then maybe it begs more questions. ...Which is one of the things this forum has been great for, with its many detailed threads and a developing Fixes Resource.

Since I haven't experienced a hot "back end", to be clear, we're talking about the button-end, but is it the temp dial that seems to sink the most heat? The clip becomes too hot to handle?

priestsmiler likes this.
  16. Kalessin

Kalessin Well-Known Member

The heat that builds up in mine is in the backend clip ring. The actual dial I don't believe I've felt get warm

priestsmiler likes this.
  17. vapognak

vapognak Well-Known Member

same here

priestsmiler likes this.
  18. Mr. Me2

Mr. Me2 Well-Known Member

If the backend heat and buildup on the contacts and batteries is related, could it (sometimes) be caused by arcing. That could explain the buildup, and since arcing events are not (theoretically) consistent, that could account for different heat (and gunk buildup) experience at different times.

Every time a battery is changed, the points of contact change. And every time a temp is changed, the points of contact may also be changed.

Possible?

19. vapviking

vapviking Well-Known Member

I have a Ti hopper that seems to be working fine.
    One new SS hopper has the loose screen issue. Starting with about it's 3rd use, now almost every time the mouthpiece is unscrewed the screen loosens by about a quarter to half a turn. I first noticed it as a rattle, and of course there are no rattles in a well functioning hopper. From my reading here, I knew to try a pointy thing (dental tool in this case). Put in one of the outer holes on the screen, it can easily turn the screen back to a snug place.
    Checked in Resource Thread but I don't see any other solutions posted. When I get some time I will iso clean the mouthpiece (while screen is ajar) and try again to tighten. But it was brand new when this began, no time for any dirty buildup. I had wiped off threads but not the screen threads.
    It seems to me the trouble (in this instance) is that the body touches the screen when mouthpiece is attached. If the mouthpiece were a hair longer overall, it could put a small distance between the two. Likewise, if a small amount was removed from the length of the body, this could also put some small gap/distance between the two. If, by design, the body is supposed to make contact with screen, then we need a better way to tighten the screen positively.
    I'm not gonna carry a dental tool or tweezers or pliers around with me all the time.
    Other than this screen issue, the SS is working just fine.

My main gripe about hopper is heat on the mouthpiece and heat on most of the body after two or three hits; backend is cool as a cucumber. One-hitting has never been my style, but I am liking the use that way with this thing! It's forcing me (the heat) to take a little time between hits, which is probably a good thing, on balance.

20. Mr. Me2

I had the same loose screen problem as you. It kept returning until I got tweezers to tighten it. HUGE difference between tightening the screen with a single point and having 2 points of contact, which provides much better leverage.

The first time I tightened the screen with a single pointed tool, it loosened again pretty quickly. When I tightened it with tweezers, it stayed in place.

Try it, you'll like it.

21. moondog

moondog It's an obsession but it's pleasin'

Add to Fixes Resource?

Vapor_Eyes likes this.
  22. Mr. Me2

Maybe as an addition to an existing piece; the tweezers recommendation is already there.

23. 507E

507E Well-Known Member

The batteries seem to be holding up fine,maybe a slight decrease in performance. On average each of my 3 batterys is charged 1 time a day and I'm experiencing very little backend heat. I usually only take 1 or 2 hits on temp 4 and always let it cool down.

24. JoeMama

It's possible, and since you mentioned arcing, I'm curious: I'm not suggesting anyone do this unless you're willing to injure the battery, but.... if you took a GH battery and used a piece of wire to short one end to the other, would it arc? It would have to be a good gauge because if the wire is too thin, it will act more like a resistor and heat up instead of providing a fast short circuit. Point is, is there really that much stooch in that battery to cause an arc (albeit maybe so tiny you wouldn't notice easily??)? Because if so, then that buildup of mystery gunk would make a bit more sense.

Changing batteries introduces a new scenario, so perhaps that comes under "variables" in the hot backend scenario.

Practically every time I change batteries, I'm inspecting for gunk and the right "feel" of the threads.

I also wonder - since I only have a Ti - if the SS models leave less "stuff" behind on the threads. Has anyone noticed how often you can use an ISO-damped swab on the backend threads and continue to get a grayish-metal-ish residue on the swab? I almost think it's Titanium dust, for each time you screw it on or off, you're rubbing metal together. Maybe I'm nuts. But where does that shit come from?!? It isn't arcing "in between the threads", right? Does this happen with SS units? If it does, then :shrug:!

So as my perspective seems, any sensation of the clip being no more than "slightly hot" after a single long pull would seem normal. But taking two or three successive pulls (session-like), I think all bets are off, and this is more or less an expected result of lots of heat being generated for a long period in a small area.

But, now I understand, thanks @Kalessin and @vapognak ... I can say that my clip and clip ring exhibit greater heat, but only noticeably, without discomfort to the fingers. But this isn't surprising, as the clip represents the least mass and will be a focal point for heat buildup.

Vapor_Eyes, Mr. Me2 and moondog like this.
  25. greenextinguisher

greenextinguisher Well-Known Member

I did play with the glass sleeves a bit before taking the break and they made it quite easy to get very big hits without discomfort. Ultimately, it's a little bit of a kludge and not something I'm interested in. I do have big hopes for the hydrotube which is on its way from China.

Somehow during my hopper break I subconsciously worked out my issues with hitting it native. Yesterday I did two bowls thrpough the SS totally native, no silicone. The first was just a pinch and the second was pinches until it hit the rim (still very loose pack). Both were totally fine with no negative after effects. (edit: I started at 3 and finished the bowls at 4.25) Not 100% sure what I changed, but I think it was really just slowing down my draw. It makes sense if you think about it. Pulling fast and hard with this adaptive heater causes increasingly hot air to quickly pass through the chamber without transferring much heat to the material. This results in very hot air and very little (wispy) evaporation in the mouth.

I'm still finding flavor practically non-existent and the gh is definitely bottom-tier for me as far as enjoyment of the experience goes, but as the-ultimate-in-stealth-stash-able-hit-stick its getting much more appealing. Plus it seems with experience I like it more and more, so who knows what the future holds? Unfortunately, for the second time, I ended up with a headache a little while after using the GH. Headaches are pretty rare for me, so I finished the night with a crafty session and will keep an eye on it. Not quite ready to blame the GH. I've also been a little more enthusiastic about my espresso shots, so there are multiple suspects. :sherlock:

I like this hypothesis. While I don't know that I've experienced the hot backend issue, when messing with glass and taking longer pulls, I did get a sharp little bit of heat on my pinky when it bridged the clip to the body. I immediately thought it was the backend issue but as soon as I stopped and inspected, I noticed the backend was actually not hot at all. It must have been a little current passing through my finger.

It makes sense to me that the hot backend is from some sort of arc or short causing current to pass through something like the clip. The resistance then causes it to warm up. I think the current "fixes" of reseating the backend just strengthen the hypothesis.

The backend repeatedly getting hot could have a very negative impact on the battery and circuit board that controls the heater and that could easily lead to a whole host of problems.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors