Discontinued The Grasshopper

vapviking

Old & In the Way
6 days into G-hopping and so far, flawless. zero heat issues, back or front end, have not used the rubber sheath once, couldn't be more happy with performance = well worth the wait!:) (knock on wood!!!)

Technique:
Medium to fine grind, fluff pack half to 3/4 full and for me, the sweet spot is 3.8ish temp. 10-15 second inhale, click the hopper off while clearing the chamber for an additional couple of seconds. Pause for 30 seconds, repeat. I have certainly tried max temp which is definitely hotter but not too hot to inhale but the vape is noticeably hotter and begins to taste closer to the taste of combustion while not actually combusting. Depending on length/strength of inhale, I get about 4-7 legit hits per load, 3+ loads per battery. I will agree with others that state the 1st hit will typically be a priming hit with less vapor output but a decent taste. I have not tried t he GH thru a glass piece or a water tool yet, strictly native sans rubber condom.

Overall assessment:
As stated above, couldn't be hoppier with the performance. Don't think this was created as a session vape to pass back and forth non stop so I didn't expect that to be where it shines. For me, 1 man sesh, at home or in the wild, hard to beat the GH. Heat up time, stealth factor, low maintenance is what I was expecting and hopping for, and that is what the GH delivered. A few rips leaves me perfectly medicated, taste is great and most importantly not mentioned yet, VERY efficient. Evenly golden brown ABV. Slim to no waste!

Only peeve so far for me is the battery life but as mentioned by others, the batteries are small so again, expectations weren't too high for me in this regard. I have 4 batteries so no issues there but do wish they lasted longer.

Lastly, one interesting observation that I have not seen mentioned here yet is that I randomly sat my GH down in a metal dish/bowl that curves up around the sides and is right around the same length as a GH. While the GH lies in it, both ends of the GH touch both sides of the dish simultaneously. When the GH 1st makes contact with the dish, the red lights flicker for a few seconds while GH is turned OFF. Not sure if this will have any negative effects long term but I have to think that it can't be a good thing and that it certainly isn't manufactured to act this way. Is there a short? Should I be worried? Should I report to GH?

Sorry for the long rant, but after a year of waiting, had to let it out.

Hop on Hoppers!;)
I appreciate your thoughts, as I am about -2 days in and getting pretty excited after a year as well.

I've read that, because there are no wires inside Hopper and some current runs through the body itself, it is easily shorted out. There is, however circuitry designed to shut the unit down before any harm. Maybe this is the lights you are seeing when you put it on the metal dish?

MonkeyTime

I appreciate your thoughts, as I am about -2 days in and getting pretty excited after a year as well.

I've read that, because there are no wires inside Hopper and some current runs through the body itself, it is easily shorted out. There is, however circuitry designed to shut the unit down before any harm. Maybe this is the lights you are seeing when you put it on the metal dish?

Sorry @vaporism , I can't figure out multi quote on my phone at the moment....

I think this was brought up early on in the thread with change in a pocket or something.

Anything metal can short it out enough to make it acknowledge it with the lights, but there's no harm being done.

Feel free to jump in and correct me if someone remembers it differently.....

Roland Blaze

Just read the grasshopper FAQ.. this bit did make me laugh and imo they should remove the bold part

Why is the wait time so long?
The wait time is due to a variety of factors. Grasshoppers are not built like most other products. Due to the custom nature of the parts in the Grasshopper, a wide range of specialized manufacturers is necessary. Parts arrive here at our facility and are assembled on-site. This ensures an excellent standard of quality, but takes a little longer. Because we are a very small company, we don’t have a large stock of the product at any given time.

What a joke considering mine lasted 2 days before breaking. The only thing more of a joke is the time they take to respond to claims or e-mails, and the fact i have to pay to send back and that there is no guarantee it will be fixed on first resolution. The only reason i can see that they are taking so long to read my claim is that there are so many for them to get through.

I own many vapes.. Crafty, Arizer Solo, Arizer Air, Extreme Q, PAX 2 and this is by far the worst experience i've had with any vapourizer and dealing with the manufacturers.

Mister G

Deceptively Old Fart
Man, I can get at the most two full fluff packs out of one fully charged battery. Usually a little bit less. Maybe I have a hot backend? I noticed it gets warm sometimes. And sometimes it gets hot on a low battery.

This is my experience with batteries and gh as well.

Macc_z

Man, I can get at the most two full fluff packs out of one fully charged battery. Usually a little bit less. Maybe I have a hot backend? I noticed it gets warm sometimes. And sometimes it gets hot on a low battery.

If you know you have a fresh battery and you notice flickering lights, hot backend, etc.. try unscrewing the backend slightly until it stops. I'm having the same issue with my titanium and this will usually fix it.

Mr. Me2

Flickering lights may be due to buildup on contact points (including the battery). If you haven't yet, you may want to look at the gh resources page.

Mr. Me2,
Reactions: moondog

AgentXero

If you know you have a fresh battery and you notice flickering lights, hot backend, etc.. try unscrewing the backend slightly until it stops. I'm having the same issue with my titanium and this will usually fix it.

So do NOT tighten the backend to the body all the way?

AgentXero,

JoeMama

Jeez I go away for a day and the topic on this board when I return is exactly what I was going to talk about!

This packing too little or too much thing.... I agree, @moondog , Mileage does indeed vary with however you work this instrument... and it does depend on the strain insofar as clouds go. And yet, I can't figure out an optimal method.

With less than a half-capful of a doobtube cap (I don't know how much weight that is, as my scale seems finicky about such small differentials). It's enough to fill the chamber with a couple of gentle pokes to push the fluff down, but not packing. Should I be packing it more?!? Fill it to the rim?

Now with this load, on setting 4, I can take maybe about 5 hits, and of those 5, 3 of them are wonderful.
At this point I cannot say that the ABV is dark anything; definitely not the original color, but not toasted. Yet, the hopper, still on setting 4, will only produce a weak vapor from that load, unless I stir it a bit. If I give it a little poke-and-mix, then I may get a final hurrah out of that load.

But, Oh! The battery had gotten weak, and so I replace the battery and get a bit MORE vapor.

But jeezis I'm going through batteries rather than to sacrifice a little ABV. I dunno, I'm trying to feel consistently good about the device, but I just wish it was more efficient with the batteries.

Then, the puffing method... there's long draws and then there's "pulses". While you don't "lose" anything by doing pulses, to me it feels as if you will lose battery faster, since you are not really "taking it in" during these periods of off-pulse. It's only my unconscious reaction that as soon as I turn this thing on, not to waste any time for fear of precious battery drain.

So it's half of us thing "Small Loads", and the other half is "Pack It!" Fair enough that it's all about your style of use. So I'm off for more experimenting and hopefully have something to offer.

I'm very grateful for this great group here! The Grasshopper Council is always in session here :clap:

PS: GHL never responded to my email about the clicking sound and the red-light flash when I tap the unit upside down. Resending. I'm now in Squeaky Wheel Mode.

Mr. Me2

Jeez I go away for a day and the topic on this board when I return is exactly what I was going to talk about!

This packing too little or too much thing.... I agree, @moondog , Mileage does indeed vary with however you work this instrument... and it does depend on the strain insofar as clouds go. And yet, I can't figure out an optimal method.

With less than a half-capful of a doobtube cap (I don't know how much weight that is, as my scale seems finicky about such small differentials). It's enough to fill the chamber with a couple of gentle pokes to push the fluff down, but not packing. Should I be packing it more?!? Fill it to the rim?

Now with this load, on setting 4, I can take maybe about 5 hits, and of those 5, 3 of them are wonderful.
At this point I cannot say that the ABV is dark anything; definitely not the original color, but not toasted. Yet, the hopper, still on setting 4, will only produce a weak vapor from that load, unless I stir it a bit. If I give it a little poke-and-mix, then I may get a final hurrah out of that load.

But, Oh! The battery had gotten weak, and so I replace the battery and get a bit MORE vapor.

But jeezis I'm going through batteries rather than to sacrifice a little ABV. I dunno, I'm trying to feel consistently good about the device, but I just wish it was more efficient with the batteries.

Then, the puffing method... there's long draws and then there's "pulses". While you don't "lose" anything by doing pulses, to me it feels as if you will lose battery faster, since you are not really "taking it in" during these periods of off-pulse. It's only my unconscious reaction that as soon as I turn this thing on, not to waste any time for fear of precious battery drain.

So it's half of us thing "Small Loads", and the other half is "Pack It!" Fair enough that it's all about your style of use. So I'm off for more experimenting and hopefully have something to offer.

I'm very grateful for this great group here! The Grasshopper Council is always in session here :clap:

PS: GHL never responded to my email about the clicking sound and the red-light flash when I tap the unit upside down. Resending. I'm now in Squeaky Wheel Mode.
I think it was @slcbdco who said there's no wrong way to fill this thing. I hope he chimes in since he's one of those who have had a gh the longest. And I KNOW he now says he doesn't even grind. He just breaks off a nug and in it goes!

MoltenTiger

@greenextinguisher What advice is inconsistent with your devices? Perhaps I might try and elaborate on my findings in regards to pack amounts a bit better.

The hopper will successfully vaporize whatever you put in the chamber, however you manage to put it in.
If you put more material in the chamber, there is more desired chemicals for the unit to vaporize.
Selecting high temps with lots of material produces very concentrated and dense vapour.
Selecting high temps with a small amount of material will produce as concentrated but less dense vapour.
The exposed surface area of the material will effect density, as it will affect how rapidly the available chemicals get exposed to the heat. The heat of the air is the hottest part of the chamber, so chemicals that aren't exposed to this will be hardest to remove, so the material will stay active longer but not give off the same potency. The higher the potency, the higher you get, but the most material you waste from exhalation.

So if you were planning to get the most out of a single chamber, low temps and a full and finely ground chamber would be my recommendation.
If you want to get the biggest most potent clouds, finely ground, fully pakced and T5 with a fresh battery.
If you want to get the most out of your material, small amounts and whatever temperature offers you the desired effect.
If you want to get the most flavour, get a piece from the top of a cola and place it in the chamber as is. Low temps T2/2.5/3 are best. You can also turn the unit on T5 without the mouthpiece and smell the flower for the ultimate flavour sensation.

A couple of other tid-bits; if you short the battery (-) to the body, it will trigger the same response as bridging the button to the device, as it is the same occurrence.

An MFLB finsihing grinder produces a grind about as small as possible before screen sizes become an issue, I just loaded a full chamber from it with a lot of success. Direct use and through a bong.

Last edited:

johnnyCanuck

So do NOT tighten the backend to the body all the way?

Tighten the back end to the body. Just loosen and tighten the backend a 1/4 to 1/2 turn about three times ending with it fully tightened. You should notice the subtle blue lights flickering will be solid and heat buildup of the unit not as harsh during your next session.

JoeMama

I think it was @slcbdco who said there's no wrong way to fill this thing. I hope he chimes in since he's one of those who have had a gh the longest. And I KNOW he now says he doesn't even grind. He just breaks off a nug and in it goes!
He breaks off a nug? Sir, this is the stuff of Folklore and Fantasy! Who is this " @slcbdco " ? We need an Obi Wan Kenobi of Grasshoppers to come and enlighten us, or me at least! :wave:

If you want to get the most flavour, get a piece from the top of a cola and place it in the chamber as is. Low temps T2/2.5/3 are best. You can also turn the unit on T5 without the mouthpiece and smell the flower for the ultimate flavour sensation.

That was a great explanation, MoltenTiger, thank you. I've actually printed these details out to have them when I'm pacing between sessions :)

What's "from the top of a cola"?

Last edited:

Mr. Me2

He breaks off a nug? Sir, this is the stuff of Folklore and Fantasy! Who is this " @slcbdco " ? We need an Obi Wan Kenobi of Grasshoppers to come and enlighten us, or me at least! :wave:

That was a great explanation, MoltenTiger, thank you. I've actually printed these details out to have them when I'm pacing between sessions :)

And where does Folklore and Fantasy come from? Stories passed down through the ages (or maybe it was last week). But based on someone's experience. And that one is a true master...but don't tell anyone. ;)

MoltenTiger

Haha thank you :)

There would be the variable of air speed not counted in that text, where airflow restriction from various grind consistencies would affect the gas composition, but for the most part that's bordering the eccentricities of fucking with speaker cable composition. It's probably a bad idea to approach pack densities that block airflow though. And the more that's in there, probably the longer mean draw length required to spike emission concentrations (allowing for the heat to equilibrate through the material). I think these things are good to consider for concentrates, but I still think to boost extraction there, a proper nail is the go to for a reason.

The main thing to keep in mind is, as long as you get high, it was the correct method. There is no better method than what a user enjoys at the end of the day, and this device is awesomely adaptable.
So there are plenty of best methods.

A cola is the top bud from a cannabis plant
big-cola-nug-in-hand.jpg

Any part is good but a cola tip is usually the best.

moondog

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'
The main thing to keep in mind is, as long as you get high, it was the correct method. There is no better method than what a user enjoys at the end of the day, and this device is awesomely adaptable.

Here, here!!

Chose

Just put your herb in the chamber select temp and rip it
It will get you there
I went through all these personal tests myself and realised its very simple
Look at load ,is that what I want to consume in 4 hits
Where am I going in the next Hour can I cope with that amount if I put it in a pipe and torched it ,because the hopper is the closest thing to smoking I've ever expirienced don't over think it just make your own mind up how you like to use it you will work it out for yourself it's a personal vape
Go and find your own way
It's greet fun to learn ,but every now and then your going to think shit I got my dose wrong and may miss appointments but oh well that's a part of the training
You will become a jedi
But it takes time
No disrespect to my fellow vapers but just wanted to lighten the mood ,one love chose
Forgot to say that's on temp 3 and above
You'll work it out

JoeMama

Haha thank you :)

There would be the variable of air speed not counted in that text, where airflow restriction from various grind consistencies would affect the gas composition, but for the most part that's bordering the eccentricities of fucking with speaker cable composition. It's probably a bad idea to approach pack densities that block airflow though. And the more that's in there, probably the longer mean draw length required to spike emission concentrations (allowing for the heat to equilibrate through the material). I think these things are good to consider for concentrates, but I still think to boost extraction there, a proper nail is the go to for a reason.

A cola is the top bud from a cannabis plant
big-cola-nug-in-hand.jpg

Any part is good but a cola tip is usually the best.

OK, well first of all, I dig the detail.
'Course, if you get high, it worked, I s'pose. :clap: And there is a balance between going for big clouds (increasing tolerance, but damn it's so good!), and efficient use of battery. But methinks, overall, this vape is a gem, and if you keep it polished and healthy, it will have been well worth the wait.

Ah, so it's like when I go into a steakhouse and ask for the Filet Minon center cut.... Can I buy just the colas from my supplier, I wonder? :rofl:

Go and find your own way

GHL's new marketing slogan:

Grasshopper® Vape. Go and Find Your Own Way.

MonkeyTime

Ah, so it's like when I go into a steakhouse and ask for the Filet Minon center cut.... Can I buy just the colas from my supplier, I wonder? :rofl:

GHL's new marketing slogan:

Grasshopper® Vape. Go and Find Your Own Way.

Most likely no, but you can grow your own, keep the choice colas and still give your friends great weed!

jivebuggered

This is my experience with batteries and gh as well.
Well I have sent three emails and have received NO response at all!!. I am trying to get some extra batteries added to a existing battery order so I wont have to pay double freight to Australia. I know I am Mr negative BUT you can bet your balls they will send order AND THEN read my other three emails (plus the fourth coming up) LOL

It amazes me seeing people talking about the heat of the vapor as a problem. It's shocking how different people's experience can be. I use on max dry and don't get the slightest discomfort...how do y'all eat hot foods?

Ever watched "Man versus Food" on cable, he eats food so hot you could ignite with a fart!!

Last edited by a moderator:

JoeMama

Most likely no, but you can grow your own, keep the choice colas and still give your friends great weed!
Yes, actually I didn't want to SAY :brow: but I know of a certain harvest I will be participating in by the Fall.:leaf:

EDIT:

QUESTION: When doing a good clean on the hopper, it says you can submerge the mouthpiece....
Fair enough... But, as it appears that screen can become loose as some have reported, is it a bad idea to leave the screen alone if it's tight, submerge to clean, and leave it at that? I'm thinking that taking a can of compressed air to the screen afterwards, both to dry the ISO as well as "force out" particulate matter that is caught in the screen.

Last edited:

MoltenTiger

Yes, actually I didn't want to SAY :brow: but I know of a certain harvest I will be participating in by the Fall.:leaf:

EDIT:

QUESTION: When doing a good clean on the hopper, it says you can submerge the mouthpiece....
Fair enough... But, as it appears that screen can become loose as some have reported, is it a bad idea to leave the screen alone if it's tight, submerge to clean, and leave it at that? I'm thinking that taking a can of compressed air to the screen afterwards, both to dry the ISO as well as "force out" particulate matter that is caught in the screen.
I haven't found a reason to remove the screen - It's easy enough to clean the mouthpiece effectively with it in place. I don't even soak it, I just spray it with some ISO, and use a pipe-cleaner to wipe all the surfaces, you can get to both sides of the screen easily. I cut sections of the pipe-cleaner away as it gets dirty, the cone section especially builds up with some gunk, but it only takes a few minutes to clean all up.
Compressed air could be handy, I doubt it's needed however. A good hot water rinse is fine for low concentration alcohol. I use high concentration and just let it evaporate.

Poostuff

Please delete
Loving the Grasshopper tech & it's big fast clouds but I've got a bit of an issue with draw restriction. Is that just my unit? I haven't seen many mention it, I mean I get great results with a medium grind & a full chamber but the restriction through a bubbler is pretty intense. I'd use it a bit more often if I could ease that up a little.

MoltenTiger

Loving the Grasshopper tech & it's big fast clouds but I've got a bit of an issue with draw restriction. Is that just my unit? I haven't seen many mention it, I mean I get great results with a medium grind & a full chamber but the restriction through a bubbler is pretty intense. I'd use it a bit more often if I could ease that up a little.
That is interesting.
There is a bit of restriction, like a recycler that depends on percolation to function will struggle to do so with the GH attached. But it's really not that bad in my experience.. I've connected it to a good range of glass and it has worked well enough with them all.

Is it uncomfortable to use or is it just not firing percs well for you?

Mr. Me2

I hate to ask the obvious, but Have you confirmed your mouthpiece screen is clean? I haven't found a lot of restriction with mine.

Top Bottom