Discontinued The Grasshopper

herbivore21

I had an idea for a chamber attachment way back during the Indiegogo campaign. Once i finally got mine and measured the mouthpiece i bought some 5/8 inside diameter polycarbonate tube which fit perfectly, and i ended up with this. Works great! And it also doubles as a protective case kinda... although it gets gooey pretty quick, I've found that getting it hot and using a dry q-tip to collect all the build up works great. Then you can put the goopy cotton inside the grasshopper and vape that!

uEIftXn.jpg
I really do not recommend using Polycarbonate in a vapor path like this. Polycarbonate is well known to outgas moderately in many applications (less than other plastics like PVC of course, but still!). Polycarbonate also contains BPA's, a potentially hazardous compound found in a variety of plastics. This compound is not considered food safe.

Polycarbonate has a nominal melting point of 512f. While the temp of airflow in the GH alone is not likely to reach this level, there is no research that has been carried out with polycarbonate to establish that it is safe to expose to hot cannabis aerosols (which include complex mixtures of terpenes, some of which can have a strong solvent action) approaching the melting point temp repeatedly over a long period of time.

What we do know is that the now-infamous Pinnacle Pro was well known to have melting/flaking/deformation/chipping of Polycarbonate mouthpiece tips with moderate-heavier use, especially at the higher temps. Polycarbonate was eventually abandoned for this product. See page ~150 or so in the PNP thread for a lot of mention of this issue.

As we can see, polycarbonate has been dubious when used with vapes that have higher temp capabilities and heaters that are close to the mouthpiece tip. We should remember that the heater in the GH is closer to the mouthpiece tip and also is heating a much lesser volume of air in a much narrower airpath, especially toward the tip than the PNP. This is potentially somewhat offset by the PNP having some higher nominal temp settings, however we do not know where these temps are measured from in the device. I can say that from my experience using both devices; the GH is noticeably hotter during use than the PNP, both in terms of the heat of the vapor entering your mouth as well as being hotter to the touch toward the mouthpiece tip.

Of course, I don't mean to call you out and it is your decision as to what you will accept in terms of materials safety :peace:. I am not here to tell you what to do, but it would be remiss of me not to explain the above.

Last edited:

Macc_z

That's not right, I have a titanium hopper and I've done temps 3 and above. With glass and mostly by itself. No heat at all on the back end and the abv is evenly browned. Sorry to hear about it, too many back end problems still happening. I hope they figure this out because I love this device. I've only had mine over two weeks.

I think I'm going to start a warranty claim because this is not normal.

Last edited:
Macc_z,

herbivore21

Oh by the way, do we know whether any external battery charger designed for 18650's will work with GH batteries? I hear people mentioning nitecore chargers working here. Would a Haze battery charger also work given that this charges 18650's?

herbivore21,
Reactions: Poostuff

Poostuff

Please delete
Oh by the way, do we know whether any external battery charger designed for 18650's will work with GH batteries? I hear people mentioning nitecore chargers working here. Would a Haze battery charger also work given that this charges 18650's?
They seem to charge well in my 18650 chargers. The length is right just not the width. They charge if you meet the connections & take about the same time as the GHs usb charger.

herbivore21

They seem to charge well in my 18650 chargers. The length is right just not the width. They charge if you meet the connections & take about the same time as the GHs usb charger.
Great! I think it might pay to get something more robust with safety features and the ability to set the charging current. This will allow one to be gentler on the battery when externally charging. The GH does not need any more risk factors for a component failure lol.

MoltenTiger

As long as the capacity and the voltage matches, it's fine.
Capacity ~1000mA, voltage 3.7V

I use this which works well. Portable too, with a USB powerbank. This kind of set up is perfect for portable vaping. I can see out a week with intense usage away from a power outlet. And IMO the best places to vape are far from outlets.

Poostuff

Please delete
As long as the capacity and the voltage matches, it's fine.
Capacity ~1000mA, voltage 3.7V

I use this which works well. Portable too, with a USB powerbank. This kind of set up is perfect for portable vaping. I can see out a week with intense usage away from a power outlet. And IMO the best places to vape are far from outlets.
Thanks for that link :tup:

jabba

Well....I've used my GH for a few days since receiving the new back end. The new back end did not heat up for the first few tests and uses. After a day or two....the new back end heats up just like my old back end did. The GH still seems to be functioning properly....just a very hot back end. Damn.

Shieldsab

As much as I really want this vape, I'm a bit glad the financials didn't add up for this month. Gives them more time to get the problems sorted out. Or at least get production ramped up so when I do put in my order, I won't have to wait as long. But I will still celebrate the 420th page as appropriately as I can manage.

Shieldsab,
Reactions: syrupy
Happy page 420 everyone! I dont post much on here but I do read a lot on this thread, thought Id share a pic of my new hopper with you guys, as you can see by the pic I am well prepped :rofl: I got her Monday of this week and so far I am absolutely loving this vape!! Im getting huuuuuuge rips on anything between 4-5, thats really the only temps Ive been using cause I enjoy the big hit. I have an Enano, Haze V3 and an Arizer Air but this guy is my definite go to for on the go and even sometime at home instead of the nano. I will try and keep you guys updated if I run into any problems which I really hope I dont.

cBXtke0.jpg

Top Bottom