1. Interested in a popular vape? Short on time? Be sure to check out the Best Of threads for Plug-Ins and Portables.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

The Grasshopper

Discussion in 'Portable Vaporizers' started by midgetsanchez, Jun 8, 2015.

1. MoltenTiger

MoltenTiger Well-Known Member

Haha @UnshavenFish my EQ saw the most use this year when my hopper was away for service for 3 weeks.
    Now I have it back, I'm not sure I've turned the Arizer on once, and if I did it was to use it with the hopper :lol:

I only have year old ABV to toke on at the moment and the hopper is still able to milk up a bong. Taste is not so good though.

I like what someone else said at one point: the hopper is to herb what the eNail is to dabs

2. Hammahead

Hammahead Well-Known Member

What's with the shipping costs? Does HL cover them, at least one-way?

That sounds like me. And your tip works for me, thanks a lot!

I started doing that and like it ever more.

Skored and Vapor_Eyes like this.
  3. Joel W.

Joel W. Deplorable Basement Dweller Accessory Maker

And now my second USB charger is not working after 10 minutes. I don't think I will worry about getting them replaced and just stick with my external chargers.

Ratchett likes this.
  4. Vapor_Eyes

Vapor_Eyes The map is not the territory

I still haven't used my USB charger once. I've been worried about their reliability for some time, and I'm just too superstitious to use it until my backup hopper arrives.

Even after I get my backup hopper I will probably only use the USB charger on rare occasions in my car. I can even use my Nitecore D2 in my car for longer trips.

I much prefer charging externally, when a battery is dead just pop a new one in your hopper, no need to wait to use it again or cause stress on your battery by using it while it's charging.

Mr Mellish, catbird, moondog and 4 others like this.
  5. Mr. Me2

Mr. Me2 Well-Known Member

I agree. Plus with that approach you are constantly rotating batteries which will (hopefully) extend their lives

6. Joel W.

Joel W. Deplorable Basement Dweller Accessory Maker

Unfortunately, in my case, I think the magnet used to connect the hoppers charger, is prone to picking up bits of conductive metal material in a messy shop environment like mine.

I can see all kinds of "stuff" stuck to the end of the charger after touching my bench. This could be the problem anyways... lol

External is the way to go for me.

MoltenTiger and ZC like this.
  7. ZC

ZC Well-Known Member

My charger doesn't seem to be working. I connect the marnet to the end and the GH blinks red once, then nothing.

It charged properly the first time I used it, but nothing after that. I've just been using the nitecore D2 to charge my batteries but I'm a bit bummed that I can't take my USB charger for an on-the-go solution.

8. AgentXero

AgentXero Well-Known Member

How do you guys hit your hopper? I just did a loose full pack and took 4 pulls on 2.5 temp and then a few on temp 4. I thought I read somewhere that if you do too many hits on the lower temps it's "wasting" THC.

9. Vapor_Eyes

It's possible you have metal debris or dirt stuck on the charger. Check out the last video on this page:

https://www.grasshoppervape.com/information/troubleshooting-guide/

ooo, ZC, Joel W. and 1 other person like this.
  10. Gregori

Gregori CannaBoss

Perfect match![​IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

Looks like their third vidéo on troubleshooting page.https://www.grasshoppervape.com/information/troubleshooting-guide/

11. MoltenTiger

I have two versions of chargers and have had 3 total.

The first charger, that came with my initial Vapefiend order, stopped working randomly (no lights on connection). It started working again during its warranty process, so I kept it.

The charger that replaced it did not work either, but it would light up red (solid) when aligned in a certain position. They told me to return this charger and keep the original.

I sent the replacement charger back with my hopper after it had sensor issues about a month later (though I didn't alert HL about this).
    When I received my warrantied device, I had gained a battery, and another replaced charger.

Now I have the new body, the original charger will charge the device, but if I turn the device on whilst connected, or connect it whilst it is powered up, it instantly turns off.

On the other hand, the new charger (which otherwise works flawlessly) will not sustain a USB powerbank, as some others on reddit have noticed, the powerbank will stop sending power output after its normal time-out.

Overall, I think the GH charger is not a very robust design.
    However as others have pointed out, it's more convenient using an external system anyway.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
  12. Gregori

Gregori CannaBoss

Didn't knew about the powerbank time-out. Thank you !

Vapor_Eyes likes this.
  13. ZC

ZC Well-Known Member

Thanks for the links, a little iso rub on both the charger and GH seems to have fixed it.

I am having trouble using it with my USB power bank. Just as @MoltenTiger describes it will charge for a bit but then the bank times out, so presumably it isn't pulling enough consistent power?

Bummer, because I mainly want the USB so I can use it with a power bank when camping or on the go. But since it doesn't really work with the power bank it's kind of useless to me, since it's easier and faster to just use the nitecore at home.

Gregori, MoltenTiger and IAmKrazy2 like this.
  14. MoltenTiger

I'm not really sure enough is known about vaporisation to really know what is the best method overall.
    And trial-and-errors are difficult with cannabis.

With glass:
    I find in order to get the biggest, thickest clouds, straight to 5 is best.
    This gives a knock-out punch, to some degree.

For finer, higher quality vapour try 3-4.5
    I find this is tastier, but restricts the possibility of getting hyper-dense clouds.
    The effect it offers seems more psychedelic and less sedative, but this could entirely be caused by less active chem exposure rather than a chem spectrum difference due to temperature limitation.

For flavour, 1-2 definitely offers more terps, flavos and much less THC concentration ratios.

I think, the key thing is there is a lot of THC per weight in quality cannabis.
    A lot of THC is going to be wasted when blowing out big clouds, which the GH is basically tuned to.

However, in terms of getting the maximum onset from cannabis consumption, optimally you would want the highest concentration possible in as quick a time as possible.
    Every toke from this point will have less of an impact due to natural tolerance (desensitisation to the relevant receptors).
    And so rather than "wasting THC" with lower temp initial runs, as long as the THC is collected, you simply are just reducing the amount of desired chemicals from that particular sample (herb in the chamber) lowering potential off-gas concentration and lowering the maximum potential intensity of hit from that sample.
    However by obtaining the conditions to get the most potent hit, you need to literally waste more THC by lack of lung absorption and exhalation.
    You could catch this in a bag and re-breath it several times to limit this too.

*edit: there would be a timeframe that would allow for additional intake without tolerance affecting potency. However I reckon this would be pretty short, I remember reading once that with DMT it was 15 seconds, however DMT is one of the fastest acting substances (hence its short duration) perhaps with THC, being that the peak lasts ~12 times longer it could be as much as a few minutes of lee-way.

On powerbank time-out, if another device is connected you can still get constant power.
    Additionally my powerbank (Rapoo p500) has an LED torch that can be activated to sustain power, and you can notice when the current is shared as the LED starts blinking. After this I have found if I turn the torch off, the GH will still charge.
    Ultimately, get a USB powered dual Li-ion cylinder battery charger and you are set!

15. Ratchett

Ratchett Vape Accessories Delta3DStudios.com Accessory Maker

I wonder if that USB cable might benefit from a special protective sleeve......

ZC and Vapor_Eyes like this.
  16. ZC

ZC Well-Known Member

How about a sleeve you put the tip into, but attatched to something to manage the cable. So you tuck the magnet in and then wrap the cord around the rest of it.

HerbieVonVapster likes this.
  17. Gregori

Gregori CannaBoss

Don't worry. It will charge. You'll just have to restart your powerbank every x minutes.

ZC likes this.
  18. moondog

moondog It's an obsession but it's pleasin'

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

Another great idea!!

Gregori, Vapor_Eyes and MoltenTiger like this.
  19. fogbank

fogbank Well-Known Member

I would describe turning my temp dial as "difficult". It takes quite a bit of effort, it does not spin easily at all.

Does anyone else have this experience? My GH is working perfectly, and I don't really need to change the temp setting. I think I want to leave it be since it's working so well for the week I've had it. Just wondering how easy it's supposed to be to turn it...?

20. YaFreekin Right

YaFreekin Right Well-Known Member

It will actually charge for a while on the powerbank, what I believe is happening is it takes a very long time to switch between charging modes and during that time the powerbank no longer thinks there is a device attached to it. I've seen there are other powerbanks out there with a 40 second time out which I plan on ordering as it should eliminate this issue.

For the time being I just plug in my phone to charge at the same time & that seems to work for me.

btka, MoltenTiger and ZC like this.
  21. ZC

ZC Well-Known Member

A couple more thoughts now that I've used the hopper a bit more.

This thing is a portable godsend. As discreet as the puffit but as powerful as the milaana or a log. Sleek, easy to maintain, easy to use.

And while, it's not good at being a "session" vape or for groups, what it does do is demo really well. Hand a friend a grasshopper and let them take one or two hits and it will impress the hell out of them and hopefully convince them they can switch to vapor. I don't have many vapes that are this easy to hand someone new to vaping.

This is easily my go to 'public' vape now. Load it, throw it in my pocket, and its ready to go at a concert or movie theater or whatever. I'm finding very little if any risidual smell on the unit. This thing is perfect for the public, where I'm most likely going to sneak a couple of powerful bathroom hits here and there but I'm not out to have a session.

That all said, I'm glad this isn't my only vape or my main vape. For at home, its shortcomings are a bit much. Gets way too hot and goes through batteries way too quickly for a session. My Mi and Logs will still reign supreme at home, with the occasional show-stopping water hit from the hopper.

That's the other thing I love about this though -that silicone mouthpiece makes using this with glass so effortless and easy it's ridiculous. I'm using beautiful old glass pieces that I haven't used in years. Pieces built for combustion, with just a bowl and no GonG joints, work perfectly with the Grasshopper. It's such a nice feeling to use these pieces after so many years since I fucked combustion.

22. lovecrush

lovecrush http://goo.gl/EsKJzJ

Ok, after a few days using my grasshopper, here's what I usually do:

I like to use it dry at temperature 4.20 ( ;) ), with no silicon mouthpiece. I take a seven to ten seconds rip, then click to turn it off and pull some more. I let the mouthpiece cool a little (by holding it in my hands closed) for a few seconds before clicking again to vape more. The taste is just really delicious and the harshness is manageable this way at that temperature in my opinion.

I also labeled every single battery with a permanent marker with numbers from 1 to 8, so I can rotate between them easily.

I was wondering if @Ratchet could make a custom black silicon mouthpiece, since the white that comes with the hopper gets brown/yellowish with just a little usage.

23. btka

btka Well-Known Member

try to push the dial down when turning.... do you have a gap on your backend?
    I do not domthis but someone earleir mentioned this and when I tried it it worked.. the one who posted this also mentioned gh is aware of this and that this is intended by gh... maybe because it should not be easy turned unwanted when your gh is in your pocked

MoltenTiger and moondog like this.
  24. Vapor_Eyes

Mine is pretty difficult to turn, but if I press down on it it turns very easily. I am glad it is difficult to turn, that way it doesn't accidentally change temp setting.

I do have a decent sized gap below the temp dial. It doesn't bother me at all.

btka, moondog and ZC like this.
  25. moondog

moondog It's an obsession but it's pleasin'

This is another one of those great tips that should go in the troubleshooting resource.

HerbieVonVapster likes this.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors