1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

The Grasshopper

Discussion in 'Portable Vaporizers' started by midgetsanchez, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Gramin

Gramin Well-Known Member

How's my performance? Full charge, read 4.2V. Set to 4/5 taking water hits. I went through 5 bowls, took 3 hits for every bowl, for a total of 15 dense hits.

Also I went and found a tube that can carry herb with me and the cap fits over GH bowl so should make portable bowl changes pretty easy. I even cut a paperclip to fit in the tube.

OMEiAM, moondog, Vapor_Eyes and 2 others like this.
  2. AgentXero

AgentXero Well-Known Member

Unless I'm going away for the night or more I wouldn't bring anything but my hopper.

After having this thing for about a week now, which I'm starting to get a good feel for it and loving it, I can see how having at least two vapes in general is a good idea. One for stealthy, super portable on demand hits like the hopper and FF2. And one for a nice chill session that you can pass with friends if you want. Currently that latter vape for me is my old arizer solo. Maybe one day soon I'll get a good session vape.

If you can only have one other vape besides the hopper which would it be? Crafty, pax 2, something else?

Ratchett, moondog and Vapor_Eyes like this.
  3. Vapor Loop

Vapor Loop Well-Known Member

I hear ya on the need for multiple portables while out. The Hopper for me will simply replace my current on demand take a quick hit anywhere unit, That's really all people should use the Hopper for. I certainly won't be recommending it as a only Vaporizer to anyone since I always have three or more portables when out, And if going to another house i also take a desktop or two along with that min of three portables.

moondog likes this.
  4. Kalessin

Kalessin Well-Known Member

Since I'm still iffy about the Grasshopper's longevity I have started carrying my vapcap with me anytime I go out for more than an hour or so, just in case.

moondog likes this.
  5. Mr. Me2

Mr. Me2 Well-Known Member

I think the gh, pax2, and Crafty make a nice triptych.

moondog and AgentXero like this.
  6. Vapor_Eyes

Vapor_Eyes unfiltered

I found that very interesting, especially the part about the temp dial. Thanks for posting it.

My backend has slowly been getting warmer the past week or two. It's more noticeable on one of my two batteries. It's not "hot" yet, so I didn't think it was broken and figured I'd wait till I get my preorder if I chose to do anything about it.

I had a half used chamber in my Grasshopper while I was reading that post, so I didn't want to mess with iso obviously.

I decided to just try moving the temp dial back and forth as mentioned in the Reddit post you quoted. I held the clip with one hand and rotated the temp dial very fast between minimum and maximum. The movement smoothed out while I did this. I probably did that for 5-10 seconds, and then set it back to 4, my usual temp setting.

I was amazed to find that the backend is no longer getting warm. On my "bad" battery it does get a tiny bit warm, but it's barely perceptible. On the good battery it is as cool as a room temperature Grasshopper.

My guess is there was some lint or dust or grease in there. It looked clean but due to the nature of the hopper's electrical connections even a tiny speck of dust could potentially cause issues. I use the leather sleeve which leaves the dial exposed, and I also always recharge externally, so I unscrew the backend a lot. A little maintenance is to be expected, but it was way easier to fix than I expected.

It could be a coincidence but it's worth a try at least for anyone with a hot backend. I should note that my backend never felt hot enough to burn me, but it was gradually getting warmer as the days went by.

Hammahead, slick, vapen00b and 6 others like this.
  7. Mr. Me2

Mr. Me2 Well-Known Member

Can I suggest a "Grasshopper Fixes" thread? Maybe added to Resources? At a minimum, we could put this important fix, and the video of how to tighten the mouthpiece screen.

This is great info and too easily buried in this long thread. It would be great if all fixes were easily available just a click away. Just a thought...

8. HerbieVonVapster

HerbieVonVapster Well-Known Member

I have been carrying my ESV, grasshopper , firefly2 combo. Had the pax2 in the murse for awhile but anymore only carry that if I expecting to share. Humm thinking this over maybe should replace firefly 2 with the pax2. Might make for better options. Love the firefly2 for it's taste but but for outside use harder to juggle.

Really been digging this little guy. Even bought a little magic flight orbiter for it. Other than first issue on second day it's been running great the last month.

I gave up on the silicone mouthpiece and just change my style with it. If at home thru obiter. Well out and about I can let it cool enough between hits to get by. Does anyone else find wet lips cools it fairly well. Not great ideal if sharing but I do find a little spit on the tip goes a long way towards cooling it down.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
    moondog and Mr. Me2 like this.
  9. AgentXero

I'm done with the silicone mouthpiece itself. I don't find the temp of the MP that uncomfortable for me on my Ti hopper. Would only use the silicone if I'm pairing to a bubbler, which I don't even own at the moment lol

So my temp dial and clip had that tiny gap in it. Is this a suggested use to clean that space? I wouldn't know any other way to do it. Dental floss dipped in ISO?? Haha

GreenHopper and moondog like this.
  10. Vapor_Eyes

Vapor_Eyes unfiltered

I only used the silicone tip with water pipes. Now I have a silicone reducer which I prefer. I found the silicone tip gathered a lot of reclaim in the gap where the inside of the silicone contacts the hopper. I was using it with shatter so that could be the cause of the reclaim.

moondog likes this.
  11. Gramin

Gramin Well-Known Member

I'm finding my battery recharger only pumps about 550mah into the battery each time I recharge does this sound about right? I took the battery as far as the GH will go. Even on lowest setting I got flashing red.

friedrich likes this.
  12. ZC

ZC Well-Known Member

I'd love to see a redesigned grasshopper that's shaped like a boxmod ecig instead of a pen. That way, you could have room for 2 standard 18650 batteries, and you could put the heater at the bottom of the unit, giving you a much much longer airpath and cooler vapor. And even though the unit is bigger, it would actually be more stealthy since boxmods are everywhere and people wouldn't give it a second glance.

If they made something like that I probably wouldn't need any other portable vape, since it solves the only two problems I have with the GH, battery life and hot vapor.

I'd also love to see a replacement mouthpiece that's actually shaped to the taper of a 14mm glass joint. It would eliminate the need for the silicone and allow you to rest the hopper on your glass piece when needed.

TheLorax, slick, Carl Hempel and 4 others like this.
  13. moondog

moondog It's an obsession but it's pleasin'

THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS.

PLEASE.

slick, GreenHopper and Vapor_Eyes like this.
  14. AgentXero

I'm surprised no one has made a longer mouthpiece. I want one with the inside lined with glass or something.

15. Joel W.

Joel W. Deplorable Basement Dweller Accessory Maker

Something like this, could use the stock hopper design.
    [​IMG]

akwardsauce, friedrich and ZC like this.
  16. Ratchett

Ratchett Vape Accessories Delta3DStudios.com Accessory Maker

550mAH recharge rate is totally fine, although slower is always better for battery longevity. I always try to charge at 300mAH when I remember to switch my Nitecore (default is 500mAH)

Snappo, Vapor_Eyes and moondog like this.
  17. ZC

ZC Well-Known Member

@Joel W.

That looks awesome!

It solves the battery problem for sure, but doesn't solve the heat issue since the vapor path is left unchanged.

That being said if someone made one of these I'd certainly try it out.

Vapor_Eyes and Joel W. like this.
  18. AgentXero

How do you change to the lower setting on the D2?

19. IAmKrazy2

IAmKrazy2 Darth Vapor

Michigan Beer Festival today in Ypsilanti Michigan. Can you guess what two vapes are getting the nod? SS and TI Grasshopper for inside the event, and Zion for the ride. Cheers all.

20. Ratchett

Ratchett Vape Accessories Delta3DStudios.com Accessory Maker

Install battery, select slot, and hold MODE for 2 seconds - "Low" illuminates on the display

Mr. Me2, AgentXero and Vapor_Eyes like this.
  21. AgentXero

Actually for real though, anyone think that using dental floss dipped in Iso is a good idea to clean the gap between the temp dial and the clip? Or not needed anyway?

GreenHopper and ZC like this.
  22. moondog

I'm pretty sure I saw MacGyver clean his vape that way in that one episode.

Seriously though I don't know if I'd introduce any liquid into the electronics end of a vape.

Adobewan, MoltenTiger and Mr. Me2 like this.
  23. Kermitt

Kermitt Well-Known Member

My 5 batteries are olmost dead after 7 Weeks of using. And I can't get any batteries in Europe :-(

24. moondog

Wow. That doesn't seem right.

25. Bdubbdiblets

Bdubbdiblets Well-Known Member

What do you mean dead...do they not charge fully? I had similar suspicions myself..

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors