Discontinued The Grasshopper

moondog

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'
I have to take back what I said. For the life of me, I can not get the hopper to fire blue lights with an external battery without the back end in the loop. There is something very cool happening in there and I too have no earthly idea how it works.

Nothing I have checked on the back end with a meter, makes any sense to me. :shrug:
Maybe somone with better electrical skills can crack it.

These guys figured it out for you:
image5.gif

kingfisher

I believe the end has the controller in it. I also think the hopper is using a pulse width modulated power signal. Meaning there is a wave and they are sending pulses of high current to the heater. At least I think they are modulating the current and maintaining a constant voltage. They could be modulating the voltage though too.

I think the temp setting equates to an amplitude of the pulses.

If you wanted to measure or check this. Someone could connect an oscilloscope to the two contacts on the back end when the hopper is powered on. The brass plate in the middle and the threads. I don't have one at home and I don't want to risk bringing it into work.

I believe the hot back end is due to too much resistance between the heater and the back end. I am not sure though.... my simple tests have not produced a consistent result.

Gramin

Doing the click off way makes more sense now and I don't run into flashing red. My first session I was getting ticking during use. Read conflicting reports on if this is normal or not. My session just now I got no clicks. I charged battery to 4.2v and cleaned threads with a brush. Hopefully the first Australian batch is good!!!

Also I have to say this thing is recking me way more than my Solo.

Joel W.

Deplorable Basement Dweller
Accessory Maker
I believe the end has the controller in it. I also think the hopper is using a pulse width modulated power signal. Meaning there is a wave and they are sending pulses of high current to the heater. At least I think they are modulating the current and maintaining a constant voltage. They could be modulating the voltage though too.

I think the temp setting equates to an amplitude of the pulses.

If you wanted to measure or check this. Someone could connect an oscilloscope to the two contacts on the back end when the hopper is powered on. The brass plate in the middle and the threads. I don't have one at home and I don't want to risk bringing it into work.

I believe the hot back end is due to too much resistance between the heater and the back end. I am not sure though.... my simple tests have not produced a consistent result.

It's a sad day when the average guy can't even tinker with his vape because it's too "high tech". Give me a vape with a carb and points, anyway.

Just kidding. This thing is awesome.

Joel W.,
Reactions: moondog

kingfisher

It's a sad day when the average guy can't even tinker with his vape because it's too "high tech". Give me a vape with a carb and points, anyway.

Just kidding. This thing is awesome.

Hahah this is the point the average guy becomes a technician and buys more tools. OR realizes he doesn't try to modify his phone electronics either ;).

Good luck trying to vape through a carb hahaha.

Gramin

I have to agree with you there. Solo has been my daily driver for about 3 or 4 years now. With a bit less than a full solo bowl worth in the hopper I definitey get hit harder with potency.

Yep same boat as you. Rocked a 5 or 6 with a GonG. The ABV is much evener than from Solo so I'm guessing the extra kick is from better extraction.

Gramin,

Kalessin

Hahaha! My new front end finally arrived! I don't know what USPS's deal has been, but it shipped on the 12th and then dropped off the earth for the rest of the week till it showed up in Los Angeles Monday which is just about as far in the opposite direction of me you can go from Colorado without leaving the country. Regardless my mean green is back to hopping and it is glorious. Nothing can stand against the Grasshopper.

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Yep same boat as you. Rocked a 5 or 6 with a GonG. The ABV is much evener than from Solo so I'm guessing the extra kick is from better extraction.

It's pure convection power vs mostly conduction, much more watts of power in GH vs Solo (really any on demand convection vape vs any session conduction vape), so effects follow, like a desktop vs Solo would

AgentXero

It's pure convection power vs mostly conduction, much more watts of power in GH vs Solo (really any on demand convection vape vs any session conduction vape), so effects follow, like a desktop vs Solo would

Yea I'm definitely getting more buzzed than the solo and with less material. Still getting a hot backend randomly, moreso when my battery is low. Still unsure if my unit is "bad" though.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Yea I'm definitely getting more buzzed than the solo and with less material. Still getting a hot backend randomly, moreso when my battery is low. Still unsure if my unit is "bad" though.

Yeah if this is your first pure convection device, the difference is extremely palpable, I've used so many now that I don't even consider weaker units like Solo an option anymore myself.

My back end does seem to get quite hot in use on the new unit, no matter battery level or temp setting. It is also slightly uneven, the dial itself. They told me it was fine though why they only replaced the body, but now hot back end and mouthpiecenot quite flush with body, seems they should have replaced the whole thing?
Kinda silly really

AgentXero

Yeah if this is your first pure convection device, the difference is extremely palpable, I've used so many now that I don't even consider weaker units like Solo an option anymore myself.

My back end does seem to get quite hot in use on the new unit, no matter battery level or temp setting. It is also slightly uneven, the dial itself. They told me it was fine though why they only replaced the body, but now hot back end and mouthpiecenot quite flush with body, seems they should have replaced the whole thing?
Kinda silly really

Who knows how they go about thier process honesty haha

I need to get my bowl packs down with this thing, as well as temp and draw speed. I have been packing it full but very loosely. I don't pack it down. I get at least 1 or 2 big rips around 3.5-4 setting. I just can't seem to get 5+ rips per pack. And my herb is pretty good. Anyone have recommendations on extending the length of a pack? Like what kinda pack, draw strength/length, and temp is ideal of you wanna share one bowl with someone. Or if you just don't wanna repack as often? I know flavor will be bad but I care more about multiple potent hits.

AgentXero,

Kalessin

Who knows how they go about thier process honesty haha

I need to get my bowl packs down with this thing, as well as temp and draw speed. I have been packing it full but very loosely. I don't pack it down. I get at least 1 or 2 big rips around 3.5-4 setting. I just can't seem to get 5+ rips per pack. And my herb is pretty good. Anyone have recommendations on extending the length of a pack? Like what kinda pack, draw strength/length, and temp is ideal of you wanna share one bowl with someone. Or if you just don't wanna repack as often? I know flavor will be bad but I care more about multiple potent hits.
I had the same problem when I tried a chunky grind like everyone suggested so I went back to a fine grind. I get a few bits in my mouth occasionally, but I can load it all the way full of the fine and still get great hits. With the fine grind, loading a half bowl which is my norm, I get 3 or 4 good hits on 4 then another 2 or 4 when I crank up to 5. And I just buy reggie generally.

Gramin

My dial is a tad uneven but I havn't noticed heat on the backend. The mouth piece gets pretty hot but if I'm though a water pipe it's not a concern.

Gramin,

AgentXero

I had the same problem when I tried a chunky grind like everyone suggested so I went back to a fine grind. I get a few bits in my mouth occasionally, but I can load it all the way full of the fine and still get great hits. With the fine grind, loading a half bowl which is my norm, I get 3 or 4 good hits on 4 then another 2 or 4 when I crank up to 5. And I just buy reggie generally.

Are your draws long? Soft or hard pulls? I can't come close to 3/4 hits on 4 then an extra 2+ hits on 5 no way. No visible vapor at least.

AgentXero,

pushpaw

Kinda silly really
Have you tried rotating the button (the actual pen like clicker part) a quarter turn or so? That seems to alleviate the hot backend issue for some hoppers. My hopper has had two warranty issues, one they sent me a new body and the other they had me send it all back and then they replaced the backend. Same as others, mine now has a slightly frankenstein look about it, a slightly mismatched feel. I don't care as long as it keeps working... I've also noticed that I will sometimes feel the backend getting hot, but if I unscrew it and mess with the battery (say just take it out and put it back in again) and screw it back on, it is usually fine. I also carefully but thoroughly cleaned the threads a while back after someone suggested that, which did seem to help.

Mulehead

Or maybe I should send my unit in :rofl:

I think you should just celebrate having very healthy lungs there chief!:rockon::lol:
Obviously vaping has been very good to you brother!

That's about all I get as well, and I hit it with intent.
Crazy thing is, from a pinch to a full bowl, I usually get two good hits.
With a full bowl, the two hits are very concentrated vapor tho, almost gotta chew it before inhaling it! :p
I also hit it with more intent, the more product used. (longer, but still slow draw)

Very interesting device so far.

Last edited:

Kalessin

I was worried that my replacement body wouldn't match my backend and mouthpiece, but luckily fits together perfectly. From the looks of it the green is the thinnest covering of all the colors, maybe that makes it easier to match them...

Hogni

Honi soit qui mal y pense
General riddle guessing? Is it magic?
Is there really none of you warranty resenders who asked for the technical failure cause? Looks like a very special kind of fatalism around the GH addicts, I think ;)

Hogni,
Reactions: JoeMama

Kalessin

Is there really none of you warranty resenders who asked for the technical failure cause? Looks like a very special kind of fatalism around the GH addicts, I think ;)
As for me, I haven't sent my original body back yet and so haven't had a chance to ask about what caused the failure, but I doubt they'd say anything useful if I do ask

Kalessin,
Reactions: Thcgos

kingfisher

Looks like you should actually read through the thread before posting stupid things.

People have reported a HL report of failures such as: failed heat sensor
Main body length too large out of tolerance
Pieces missing from assembly
Failure out of the box due to improperly assembled components.

To name a few.....

Modnote: Our main rule here is "be nice". Calling another member's post "stupid" is not very nice. Further similar comments will come with warning points.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom