Discontinued The Grasshopper

MoltenTiger

Wow....I get that the GH is not the vape for everybody. No vape is and we all have different and even sometimes unique situations and use cases for vapes.

But of all the possible criticism of the GH, the one I don't understand, nor do I understand others defending this criticism, is that one about loading. Fuck the funnel, wrap your hand around the oven with it a bit lower than flush to your hand, pour in herb, screw on mouthpiece.

I would suggest that anyone who can't figure out how to easily get a bit of herb into that oven should probably stay completely away from any device that uses electricity, heat, or anything else remotely harmful during its normal use.

Cheers
Honestly, the GH is like packing a small cone piece
bonza-cones-03.jpg

Which, if you've packed a party bowl, you will know is no measly task in a slight breeze - even worse with arthritic fingers etc. I'm sure.
It's absolutely doable, but it's not too hard to imagine someone struggling :shrug:
I need to load the GH over my grinder, as I'd load a small cone over a mix bowl.
That's not a fantastic reality, although I also have no difficulty dealing with it.
I think having adapters available is neat, and I'd love one for a MFLB grinder.

Talking downsides, there's: device heat, hot vapour/direct path, clicking noise reducing stealth, as can LEDs in darkness, plus difficulty of seeing temp dial in low light, LED light dispersion through air intake holes and of course longevity of the device and the batteries (3 bowls at best, 1-200 charge cycles)

But on the upside, there's: the direct vapour path, highly optimised convection vaporisation system, relative temperature precision, tiny form factor, fool-proof clutter camouflage, affordable and quickly replaceable batteries, short charge times, on-board charging via USB (international availability off the first bat), native f14mm glass connectivity, pure simplicity and aesthetics.

The sheer collaboration of modern technologies in this device is just so appreciable, it avoids intuition - its performance simply eclipses how many corners have been cut with the design of this thing.
Seriously, centimetres from the mouthpiece is an oven, without a door. It is mind boggling how well the hopper contains that intensity from both the user and the battery.

There will be nothing like the Grasshopper for a good while I imagine. There are plenty of things similar, but nothing I'm finding as impressive.
Taking only the vapour quality into consideration paints a different picture, it's direct by default, so intense but honestly of a high quality. It can't go as high in temp as some will prefer, but it does its temp range very well, and for accessing purely THC, it will be very effective.

I've decided on water-pipe usage for sessions and direct use (with silicone MP) for on the go is ideal. Water-pipes really work wonders, and so for on the go it's actually better to use directly as to avoid saturating receptors so rapidly.
Others have noted how efficient it is, and I'm finding it to be the most cost effective and healthy cannabis administrative method that actually serves my needs.
What the Grasshopper offers is what I wanted out of the MFLB 5 years ago.

If I could make the MFLB work for me, it would be healthier again. But it's just not going to happen.
For some people the GH is not going to work for them, and there's a vape out there all about what they want. For everyone else this thing is the shit. It's not so much a game changer, rather, the answer.

Last edited:

Baron23

"@MoltenTiger"

Please forgive me if I wasn't clear. I certainly do not dismiss easily or lightly considerations for handicapped people and realize that tasks represent widely varying differences in difficulty for different folks.

I will go as far as saying that the GH was not, itself, necessarily designed as handicapped compatible, particularly for people with hand issues such as the arthritis you mentioned.

Nor is loading any vape that I'm aware of a piece of cake outside in the wind. I get it but don't think that's a valid device unique criticism. Aside from maybe a Vapcap and dugout, I think outside in the wind will present a number of challenges for just about any vape and any user.

But loading the GH really isn't that hard. I do have both Rachett's scoop and poke and his GH loading funnel, both of which are very nice products. But, if you can do this, then you can load a GH easily:

Loading%20a%20GH.jpeg

moondog

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'
"@MoltenTiger"

Nor is loading any vape that I'm aware of a piece of cake outside in the wind. I get it but don't think that's a valid device unique criticism. Aside from maybe a Vapcap and dugout, I think outside in the wind will present a number of challenges for just about any vape and any user.

Actually, the Pinnacle Pro with its bullet system - and I imagine, the Focus with its pods - take a lot of the challenge out of windy outdoors loading.

peaceonearth

high since 1968
For sure, different tokes for different folks. For the most part I couldn’t be happier, other than the taste which I find to be just so-so. But to quoth Gilda Radner - it's always something! But from my perspective the hopper's other shortcomings are easily fixed, unlike the various probs that have caused me to reject other vapes I've owned.

For me the MFLB glass stem with silicone extender solves both the hot MP & hot vapor issue, and without taking away from the portability. Such a small thing but makes a big diff in the temp of the vapor. Everything stays together nice & snug and imo still looks pretty sleek, but transforms it into something more like… laser pen? light saber? conductor’s baton? some weird scary medical instrument?:shrug:

pHHeqag.jpg

Anyhow, stem fits perfectly into the silicone extender so I keep those 2 connected to eachother 24/7, and keep that combo connected to the GH except for transport. When removing the mouthpiece for refilling I keep it attached to silicone & stem, and that 3-piece combo becomes my scoop/pour tool :science: with stem as handle and the MP with its thin sides works pretty good as ladle... but best part is, there it is right there ready to use.

Even if there was no heat issue I actually prefer the mflb stem ergonomically vs the GH’s metal MP, just like sipping thru a straw. Which btw is what i simulate doing when in a car. I believe the stem also helps keep the silicone extender from discoloring. Sorry didn’t mean to turn this into a MFLB stem commercial… step right up, folks! http://sales.magic-flight.com/glass-stem/

BTW if spent particles stick to screen/sides of mp or oven and they don't want to tumble right out, I've found that suck-vacuuming into underdog stem or similar works great.

Haven't tried anywhere near the variety of vapes as some others here, but for the portables I have tried, the ease, speed and convenience of use of GH blows them all away. But my fav thing about the hopper is the punch it packs - this thing delivers on the buzz! :ko: The kind that creeps up then smacks you in the face then lasts & lasts. And it does so incredibly fast and with little to no falderol, wherever I take it.

:peace:

Last edited:

Kalessin

For sure, different tokes for different folks. For the most part I couldn’t be happier, other than the taste which I find to be just so-so. But to quoth Gilda Radner - it's always something! But from my perspective the hopper's other shortcomings are easily fixed, unlike the various probs that have caused me to reject other vapes I've owned.

For me the MFLB glass stem with silicone extender solves both the hot MP & hot vapor issue, and without taking away from the portability. Such a small thing but makes a big diff in the temp of the vapor. Everything stays together nice & snug and imo still looks pretty sleek, but transforms it into something more like… laser pen? light saber? conductor’s baton? some weird scary medical instrument?:shrug:

pHHeqag.jpg

Anyhow, stem fits perfectly into the silicone extender so I keep those 2 connected to eachother 24/7, and keep that combo connected to the GH except for transport. When removing the mouthpiece for refilling I keep it attached to silicone & stem, and that 3-piece combo becomes my scoop/pour tool :science: with stem as handle and the MP with its thin sides works pretty good as ladle... but best part is, there it is right there ready to use.

Even if there was no heat issue I actually prefer the mflb stem ergonomically vs the GH’s metal MP, just like sipping thru a straw. Which is what i simulate doing when in a car. I believe the stem also helps keep the silicone extender from discoloring. Sorry didn’t mean to turn this into a MFLB stem commercial… step right up, folks! http://sales.magic-flight.com/glass-stem/

BTW if spent particles stick to screen/sides of mp or oven and they don't want to tumble right out, I've found that suck-vacuuming with underdog stem or similar works great.

Haven't tried anywhere near the variety of vapes as some others here, but for the ones I have tried, the ease, speed and convenience of use of GH blows them all away. But my fav thing about the hopper is the punch it packs - this thing delivers on the buzz! :ko: The kind that creeps up then smacks you in the face then lasts & lasts. And it does so incredibly fast and with little to no falderol, wherever I take it, and nomatter how windy the conditions.

After reading this I decided to pick up a couple of these stems to try out. I'm not particularly bothered by the heat, but I feel like they might make group use more doable. And I think it will slot in my grasshopper case in the thin tool slot for convenient carrying.

Baron23

Actually, the Pinnacle Pro with its bullet system - and I imagine, the Focus with its pods - take a lot of the challenge out of windy outdoors loading.
Yes, but you're not really loading them out there...you pre-loaded inside into capsules, yeah?

pHHeqag.jpg

Even if there was no heat issue I actually prefer the mflb stem ergonomically vs the GH’s metal MP, just like sipping thru a straw. Which is what i simulate doing when in a car. I believe the stem also helps keep the silicone extender from discoloring. Sorry didn’t mean to turn this into a MFLB stem commercial… step right up, folks! http://sales.magic-flight.com/glass-stem/

BTW if spent particles stick to screen/sides of mp or oven and they don't want to tumble right out, I've found that suck-vacuuming with underdog stem or similar works great.

Haven't tried anywhere near the variety of vapes as some others here, but for the portables I have tried, the ease, speed and convenience of use of GH blows them all away. But my fav thing about the hopper is the punch it packs - this thing delivers on the buzz! :ko: The kind that creeps up then smacks you in the face then lasts & lasts. And it does so incredibly fast and with little to no falderol, wherever I take it.

The stem, if I remember correctly, doesn't flair at either end...its a straight piece of glass. Any issues with keeping it in the silicone condom and not just falling out??

peaceonearth

high since 1968
The stem, if I remember correctly, doesn't flair at either end...its a straight piece of glass. Any issues with keeping it in the silicone condom and not just falling out??
Nada, it's so snug I couldn't even purposefully make it fall out by holding onto condom and yanking it around.

peaceonearth,
Reactions: moondog

moondog

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'
Yes, but you're not really loading them out there...you pre-loaded inside into capsules, yeah?

Correct, I pre-load the bullets before heading out the door and they are transported in their own small carrying case:

http://thevaporblunt.corecommerce.com/Accessories/6-Pack-Bullet-Holder.html

As long as you don't need to reload immediately after finishing the used bullet (it's pretty darn hot in there), it's a real easy system. The Focus' pods, being fully enclosed, look like an even better system. Since my Pinnacle Pro's battery seems to be dying, I'm serioulsy considering the Focus to complement the GH (for use with larger mobile groups).

MoltenTiger

@Baron23 I absolutely think the chamber dimensions can be fairly criticised as a unique case. It is small, and annoyingly so. Sure it is easy enough to stuff herb in, but not without mess or finicky picking. Both of those things are avoided with a larger chamber, and so in comparison it is not as good.
Ignoring the fact that the dynamics of the hopper require it's design, and forgetting the placement of the MP threads, even the original design where the removable mouthpiece housed the chamber is superior because it is easier to hold close to ground cannabis for filling, and it's easier to keep clean. Likewise, having a removable sleeve that can be filled is superior for the same reason as well as the ability to own and use multiple chambers for on the go continual use in blizzards or whatever.
There's nothing wrong with the chamber per sé, but it could be better and without much imagination. It's not unfair to criticise it, if not simply to say that there are easier to load vapes and some people may want to consider that fact.
Most people aren't going to care, it's like that for most of the short falls of the hopper :nod:

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
This question should probably be in the other thread but I wanted to respond to your post mr @Ratchett - seems like most people have the nitecore D2 as opposed to D4. Is the D4 worth the extra money? I'd certainly prefer to charge 4 batteries at a time as opposed to just 2, unless the D4 is notorious for something that I don't know.
The D4 will charge at 750mA with only two batteries in use. Otherwise it charges at 375mA. You can also manually select the 375mA mode.

The D2 charges at 500mA and can be manually changed to 300 mA.

So the D4 is faster than the D2 when charging two batteries, but slower when charging four.

But wait! Faster isn't always better. Li-ion batteries will last longer if charged more slowly. I find the D2's 500mA a nice balance between speed and battery life. I chose it for that reason plus it was smaller (and cheaper), and I don't really need the extra bays. By the time I can kill two batteries I could have two more recharged with the D2.

Also note to get 750mA on the D4 with two batteries one must be in bay 1 and the other in bay 2 or 3. Any other configuration will be at the lower 375mA rate.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Wow....I get that the GH is not the vape for everybody. No vape is and we all have different and even sometimes unique situations and use cases for vapes.

But of all the possible criticism of the GH, the one I don't understand, nor do I understand others defending this criticism, is that one about loading. Fuck the funnel, wrap your hand around the oven with it a bit lower than flush to your hand, pour in herb, screw on mouthpiece.

I would suggest that anyone who can't figure out how to easily get a bit of herb into that oven should probably stay completely away from any device that uses electricity, heat, or anything else remotely harmful during its normal use.

Cheers

Yeah exactly, but just by comparison to other vapes is all. It is definitely easier to load and unload than many vapes, and not hard to do overall, just some of the other vapes we mentioned are far easier for us in that regard. I have no dealt with both Milaana and Grasshopper loading/unloading out and about, Milaana was way easier and quicker, but GH being self-contained has a lot of pros when packed ofcourse (and yeah if you are more thoughtful about keeping it clean longer without needing to do a full cleaning it can be a bit tedious). I wouldn't out it on the list of cons really though, only in comparison to others the drawbacks are truly noticeable.

Honestly, the GH is like packing a small cone piece
bonza-cones-03.jpg

Which, if you've packed a party bowl, you will know is no measly task in a slight breeze - even worse with arthritic fingers etc. I'm sure.
It's absolutely doable, but it's not too hard to imagine someone struggling :shrug:
I need to load the GH over my grinder, as I'd load a small cone over a mix bowl.
That's not a fantastic reality, although I also have no difficulty dealing with it.
I think having adapters available is neat, and I'd love one for a MFLB grinder.

Talking downsides, there's: device heat, hot vapour/direct path, clicking noise reducing stealth, as can LEDs in darkness, plus difficulty of seeing temp dial in low light, LED light dispersion through air intake holes and of course longevity of the device and the batteries (3 bowls at best, 1-200 charge cycles)

But on the upside, there's: the direct vapour path, highly optimised convection vaporisation system, relative temperature precision, tiny form factor, fool-proof clutter camouflage, affordable and quickly replaceable batteries, short charge times, on-board charging via USB (international availability off the first bat), native f14mm glass connectivity, pure simplicity and aesthetics.

The sheer collaboration of modern technologies in this device is just so appreciable, it avoids intuition - its performance simply eclipses how many corners have been cut with the design of this thing.
Seriously, centimetres from the mouthpiece is an oven, without a door. It is mind boggling how well the hopper contains that intensity from both the user and the battery.

There will be nothing like the Grasshopper for a good while I imagine. There are plenty of things similar, but nothing I'm finding as impressive.
Taking only the vapour quality into consideration paints a different picture, it's direct by default, so intense but honestly of a high quality. It can't go as high in temp as some will prefer, but it does its temp range very well, and for accessing purely THC, it will be very effective.

I've decided on water-pipe usage for sessions and direct use (with silicone MP) for on the go is ideal. Water-pipes really work wonders, and so for on the go it's actually better to use directly as to avoid saturating receptors so rapidly.
Others have noted how efficient it is, and I'm finding it to be the most cost effective and healthy cannabis administrative method that actually serves my needs.
What the Grasshopper offers is what I wanted out of the MFLB 5 years ago.

If I could make the MFLB work for me, it would be healthier again. But it's just not going to happen.
For some people the GH is not going to work for them, and there's a vape out there all about what they want. For everyone else this thing is the shit. It's not so much a game changer, rather, the answer.

Yeah there is still a lot to love and be impressed by here, next level tech like Elevape was when it first launched too. GH can really deliver on effectiveness overall, it just has some drawbacks that are just more annoying for some than others, and the other vapes you own or have used influence that significantly.

Use through water can be really neat, but I too have moved away from my bubblers and am now using dry almost exclusively since its just less hassle etc. I will say that I can see how he GH is a lot like next gen mflb with its own foibles, a lot like Elevape and even Firefly too in that regard... however i do still feel like Milaana is like the real convection MFLB counterpart, bigger but way more power and battery life. Again, as a super stealth portable Cloud Evo meets Pax, GH can really shine for many people though it is not the ultimate vape per say

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
Side note: I did purchase the GH leather case last week and I am surprised at how effective it is. The GH leather case does not add much bulk to the unit whatsoever and is quite a nice accoutrement....particularly for $10!
I am also a big fan of the GH leather sleeve. As mentioned, it is cheap and does not add much bulk. In my opinion it also makes it a little more stealthy as it really sells the pen aspect.

Most of the time, for around town, I just want something small that will keep dust out of the air intake holes. The sleeve also insulates the heat when you are putting a hot Grasshopper back in your pocket.

Eventually I'll probably get one of those beautiful leather cases from @Ratchett and use it for longer trips.

Shit Snacks

I am also a big fan of the GH leather sleeve. As mentioned, it is cheap and does not add much bulk. In my opinion it also makes it a little more stealthy as it really sells the pen aspect.

Most of the time, for around town, I just want something small that will keep dust out of the air intake holes. The sleeve also insulates the heat when you are putting a hot Grasshopper back in your pocket.

Eventually I'll probably get one of those beautiful leather cases from @Ratchett and use it for longer trips.

Ah I forgot about those, weren't Ti units supposed to come with one? That is another one of my own personal little cons, dust and lint getting stuck in the mouthpiece hole (and potentially the air intakes) but a sleeve solves it

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
Ah I forgot about those, weren't Ti units supposed to come with one? That is another one of my own personal little cons, dust and lint getting stuck in the mouthpiece hole (and potentially the air intakes) but a sleeve solves it
I don't know, this is the first I've heard of that.. I actually ordered one with my Ti preorder back in September.

It will be interesting to see if I get two when my preorder is fulfilled. I don't really need two more, but I suppose a backup wouldn't be bad. They are cheap enough.

Shit Snacks

I don't know, this is the first I've heard of that.. I actually ordered one with my Ti preorder back in September.

It will be interesting to see if I get two when my preorder is fulfilled. I don't really need two more, but I suppose a backup wouldn't be bad. They are cheap enough.

I know it was initially supposed to, and early backers got them, but I also remember something about them changing their mind? My Ti did not come with one but it definitely said it would way back when I ordered at least

Shit Snacks,

Mister G

Deceptively Old Fart
The Free leather sleeve was for Ti "Backers Only" not preorders. It might be in one of their IGG updates, I'm too lazy to look.

I vaguely recall one of the excuses given at the time was there was more interest shown in the SS case....ironic. :rolleyes:

xlr8

Anyone experienced warranty process from vaposhop.eu yet? (from europe)

My GH died after 5 days, they send me a pre-paid return label and told me they would send me a new one as soon as they received the broken one.

Tracking says it was received 2 weeks ago but still no news from them.

xlr8,

utekai

With all of those caveats, I do disagree or don't understand some of Utekai's criticisms. For example, I am baffled as to why anyone thinks the GH is difficult to load. Its actually one of the easiest, carefree loading experiences I know of. You just can't fuck it up...hold vape in hand, pour in herb, screw on mouthpiece. To each their own, but I'm puzzled by this critique.

As to the unit getting hot...two thoughts, 1) there seems to be some degree of variability in how hot different units get...this is more true of back ends (mine doesn't get hot at all) but perhaps other parts of the vape and; 2) perceptions of what is 'too hot' to suck on is very individual. Bud, the Vape Critic, and I have PM'd back and forth on this. For him, the unit gets too hot too quickly. Doesn't bother my lips. He thought it was too hot after 2-3 hits...as for me, I went session mode with it and without the condom the mouthpiece got uncomfortable at 7 draws. Lot of different lips out there and personally, I don't mind the condom.

I'm not going to go point by point with Utekai mostly because the man is entitled to his opinion. But I don't think his critical opinions rise to the level of fact and are not sufficient for me to consider the GH to be a 'dud' or a 'mid-range vape at best'.

Cheers and good luck.

So I did write this: " Well, it's not difficult as much as it is tedious, especially compared to vapes that are easy to unload and load."

It's true for me, it's a fact for me. Other vapes are much less tedious to load, to unload, to use, and simply perform better as a daily driver vape.

The tip gets hot even with a tip condom, and the narrow air stream shooting out irritates, especially on back to back hits.

It's true for me, it's a fact for me.

Previously, I also wrote: " This isn't really an opinion as much as it is fact. It's very true for me."

Whether or not it's true for you depends on how you use the gh, and the other vapes you have experience with. What's true for me may not be true for you. And just because something is not true for you, doesn't mean it must be not true for me. Use cases and experience really are the truth determiners here. The gh display characteristics, and that's what I describe, those characteristics within my use cases and based upon my experience with many other vapes. I've got no skin in the game of GHL's success or failure. I'm only providing descriptions of my experiences with the gh.

Baron23

So I did write this: " Well, it's not difficult as much as it is tedious, especially compared to vapes that are easy to unload and load."

It's true for me, it's a fact for me. Other vapes are much less tedious to load, to unload, to use, and simply perform better as a daily driver vape.

The tip gets hot even with a tip condom, and the narrow air stream shooting out irritates, especially on back to back hits.

It's true for me, it's a fact for me.

Previously, I also wrote: " This isn't really an opinion as much as it is fact. It's very true for me."

Whether or not it's true for you depends on how you use the gh, and the other vapes you have experience with. What's true for me may not be true for you. And just because something is not true for you, doesn't mean it must be not true for me. Use cases and experience really are the truth determiners here. The gh display characteristics, and that's what I describe, those characteristics within my use cases and based upon my experience with many other vapes. I've got no skin in the game of GHL's success or failure. I'm only providing descriptions of my experiences with the gh.
Yes, and I did write this:

So, I'm not one to jump on someone for calling my baby ugly. No defender of the faith here, everyone is entitled to their view of a particular vape and how that vape does or does not satisfy their personal set of desires.

So, peace be with you, brother :)

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
The D4 will charge at 750mA with only two batteries in use. Otherwise it charges at 375mA. You can also manually select the 375mA mode.

The D2 charges at 500mA and can be manually changed to 300 mA.

So the D4 is faster than the D2 when charging two batteries, but slower when charging four.

But wait! Faster isn't always better. Li-ion batteries will last longer if charged more slowly. I find the D2's 500mA a nice balance between speed and battery life. I chose it for that reason plus it was smaller (and cheaper), and I don't really need the extra bays. By the time I can kill two batteries I could have two more recharged with the D2.

Also note to get 750mA on the D4 with two batteries one must be in bay 1 and the other in bay 2 or 3. Any other configuration will be at the lower 375mA rate.

Thanks for that detailed response! I didn't realize that about the D2 vs D4 current output. Now I'm wondering how I can switch my D2 to a slower 300mA charge. I mean it takes less than 75 minutes to charge, why not slow it down and save the battery life!

Mister G

Deceptively Old Fart
Thanks for that detailed response! I didn't realize that about the D2 vs D4 current output. Now I'm wondering how I can switch my D2 to a slower 300mA charge. I mean it takes less than 75 minutes to charge, why not slow it down and save the battery life!

I just googled how to manually set it lower on the D2, it says you just hold the Mode button for 1 second until you see the word "LOW" light up on the display. If I haven't been using it on LOW for about a week and a half when I first started charging/using the batts, and then start doing it now, does that matter?

http://flashlight.nitecore.com/html/uploads/ueditor/image/product/D2/D2_UM_EN.pdf

jabba

Feeling Badly:

One of my buddies...a much older gent...saw my GH and fell immediately into vas. He ordered a SS GH from the same Ebay backer that I had purchased my GH from. My GH is still trucking perfectly.....his GH is dead after just a few days (and probably even fewer pulls). I'm assisting him with registering and warranty :(

He just gets a solid red light and no heat.

Top Bottom