• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

The future of vapourizing

happyTrails

phishpanicjam
I know that if someone came up with a nice bong or beaker that incorporated a heating element that kept the water at the desired temperature (kinda like an electric tea kettle), I would buy it in a heart beat and if ANYONE takes this idea, runs with it, and it becomes viable……..know this. I will find you and demand a cut. :)

What about one of those USB coffee mug heaters for a straight tube?

happyTrails,

Roger D

Vapor Wizard
Silicone heater mats

58e2f06f0348d0d4863916e9898ad495.jpg

Applications

The uses for silicone heater mats are infinite as they can suit any application requiring surface heating up to +230°C.

Advantages
  • Custom design (dimension, voltage and power)
  • Wide temperature range : from -60°C to +230°C
  • Good resistance to water and chemicals
  • Quick laying
  • Flexible and light weight
  • Cold lead lengths : on request
Technical data
  • Max power : 5000 W / m²
  • Voltage : 230 V
  • Max size : 0.9m × 3m
  • Cold lead lengths : on request
  • Max. maintenance t° (turned on) : +230°C
Option
  • Self-adhesive foil
  • Alternative fixings are available : hooks and straps
  • Heat protector
  • Earthing
http://aaatelec.com/products/heating-mat/silicone-heater-mats

Theses could be hooked around the base where the water is

( http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/how-to-keep-bong-water-hot.8304 )

Go for gold! I'd love to see pictures, maybe even a video?

I ordered a new glass cutter, I tried on a bottle, I made the cut with an old cutter but it wasn't clean enough so I wait for the new stuff. I will post pictures and milk shots of course.

Roger D,

m0sh

Singer Song Writer Stoner
LOL I don't remember opening this thread... :)

Whip should stay but they could just be an extension add-on... also its possible to had water filtration to the tube...so I don't see a reason why it should go.

The future...more in the direction of the solo/minivap

A small unit to deliver super results...but once again there's must be a solid desktop vaporizer that is not dynamic... a docking vaporizer is needed for my needs anyway...I love being in my bed and vaporizing with my GF while watching a movie or so.

Yes I can work out with a small device but I'd rather just used a tube

I guess the future should eliminate the need for stirring, if battery powered it will hold up to 4 times more than now, more zero learning curve vaporizers...

Pcpvapors

I think we're going to lose our simplistic device design (7th floor, flame filtered) which unfortunately is going to be the opposite of where we need to go IMO. We're already starting to see the portable market blow up and I think the focus is going to be on discreet portability because whoever can do it right and satisfy even the cloud chasers with something the size of a sharpie will strike "gold".

m0sh

Singer Song Writer Stoner
I think we're going to lose our simplistic device design (7th floor, flame filtered) which unfortunately is going to be the opposite of where we need to go IMO. We're already starting to see the portable market blow up and I think the focus is going to be on discreet portability because whoever can do it right and satisfy even the cloud chasers with something the size of a sharpie will strike "gold".

I don't think so, the solo is the simple...the cloud pretty simple as well...it will get simpler ...

m0sh,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
LOL I don't remember opening this thread... :)

Whip should stay but they could just be an extension add-on... also its possible to had water filtration to the tube...so I don't see a reason why it should go.

The future...more in the direction of the solo/minivap

A small unit to deliver super results...but once again there's must be a solid desktop vaporizer that is not dynamic... a docking vaporizer is needed for my needs anyway...I love being in my bed and vaporizing with my GF while watching a movie or so.

Yes I can work out with a small device but I'd rather just used a tube

I guess the future should eliminate the need for stirring, if battery powered it will hold up to 4 times more than now, more zero learning curve vaporizers...

Actually I opened the thread and then moved your post into it, and because it has an earlier timestamp you wound up as the first post.

We're seeing two prongs in the development of portables: simple devices like the FlashVAPE and the Cera, and more complex devices with electronic controls like the Pax and the Ascent. Clearly simple devices have less to go wrong, but controls make a device easier to learn and let you choose a specific temperature.

You can also divide battery portables into constant heat and pulse heat models. Constant heat models waste a lot of energy maintaining temperature. I believe that pulse heating is superior because you only consume power when you hit it, but you do have to heat up every time. Pulse heating is more suited to conduction vapourizers. Constant heat means that it's easier to make a portable convection device, but battery advances have reached the point where a pulse heated convection model is possible. That would be a superior device, in my opinion.

jardri

Vapor Dreams
Maybe there is more space for innovation in air flows and herb chambers that in heaters. The correct heater, the correct airflow and the correct herb colocation makes wonders.

jardri,
Reactions: vorrange

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Maybe there is more space for innovation in air flows and herb chambers that in heaters. The correct heater, the correct airflow and the correct herb colocation makes wonders.

Excellent point. nicelytoasted is fond of observing that no other manufacturer seems to have noticed how the Herbalaire can be so good at extracting from unground buds. He attributes its success to the design of the herb chamber and the way they direct the airflow.

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
Constant heat means that it's easier to make a portable convection device, but battery advances have reached the point where a pulse heated convection model is possible. That would be a superior device, in my opinion.

i guess i don't understand what you are looking for ... is it an instant vaporizer -- one hit at a time, like an ecig, but without the added (non-THC) liquids/chemicals, from plant material?

aside from bulk, i think the plant material is best for vaporizing, since the trichomes are arrayed in a single layer and can be uniformly exposed to the hot air. so i agree the air flow and heat chamber design are critical components.

maybe a microwave heater would be faster.

Hippie Dickie,
Reactions: Roger D

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
i guess i don't understand what you are looking for ... is it an instant vaporizer -- one hit at a time, like an ecig, but without the added (non-THC) liquids/chemicals, from plant material?

aside from bulk, i think the plant material is best for vaporizing, since the trichomes are arrayed in a single layer and can be uniformly exposed to the hot air. so i agree the air flow and heat chamber design are critical components.

maybe a microwave heater would be faster.

Why would you use power when you don't need to? In a conduction design, constant heating continues to heat the load thus destroying flavour and worse, driving off vapour when you're not hitting it. Convection designs don't have this problem but they still consume power keeping the heat on. As long as the design can deliver a really short heat-up time (say 3-5 seconds, like the LB and FV) then I believe that is a superior method.

I guess that the answer is yes, I do want a one-hit-at-a-time device. I rarely chain-hit, but even if I did I think pulse power would still be a better choice.

pakalolo,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
as i understand it, none of the pulse power devices have accurate temperature control -- i tried that style once and found it too difficult to use. my compromise is that i've settled into seven minute, 12 toke, sessions.

Hippie Dickie,

z9

Pulse devices dont necessarily need an accurate temperature control since they flash extremely high temperatures for short periods of time. They don't have to sustain a stable temperature over an extended amount of time and the hit they deliver wholly dependent upon the speed or strength of the draw. Convection designs do have their draw backs but the biggest advantage they have is ease of operation.

z9,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
as i understand it, none of the pulse power devices have accurate temperature control -- i tried that style once and found it too difficult to use. my compromise is that i've settled into seven minute, 12 toke, sessions.

That's true, but at the expense of complexity, I don't see why a temperature control isn't possible. Your design goes to great lengths to ensure a consistently maintained temperature, but with pulse heating you just need a temperature limit. z9 summed it up well.

pakalolo,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
butwith pulse heating you just need a temperature limit

except the draw speed and volume will drop the temp below the limit.

extremely high temperatures for short periods of time

in my experiments, this surfing on the edge of combustion was no fun. plus, it created a burned spot inside the glassware -- i only consider glass based designs, of course. my current heater causes no such burn and the glassware really never needs cleaning.

Hippie Dickie,
Reactions: z9

Roger D

Vapor Wizard
I don't know if anything like this already exists, but instead of bags, perhaps using some sort of glass vessel. I know plastic is permeable and just doesn't taste good over time. This isn't really a huge improvement but if it's not already in use somewhere then some people(myself included) would enjoy not sucking on what is essentially a garbage bag. It's like how I made a waterfall for combusting out of glass and the difference between that and plastic is night and day.

If the technology exists that I'm speaking of, please direct me to where I can get one of these type of vapes.

img1547d.jpg

I tried to milk my MV with that, I just made the cuts and polished (I failed like 5 times before I got the right technique). Failed miserably about the milk part. I got really wispy hits, but the flavor was the best I ever experienced. It doesn't pump hard enough. It makes a good first hit so I did not wasted my time.
The water gives a refreshing touch to the experience

Roger D,

z9

in my experiments, this surfing on the edge of combustion was no fun. plus, it created a burned spot inside the glassware -- i only consider glass based designs, of course. my current heater causes no such burn and the glassware really never needs cleaning.

Not to mention charred weed tastes disguising. Burnt popcorn mixed with pure ass.

IMO pulse devices are only acceptable if its an ultra portable unit. Otherwise it needs to be a temperature controllable design like your custom unit, which is impressive to say the least. I don't see how a unit designed like yours could cook herbs consistently and thoroughly if was pulse heated. I prefer your current design. I really want to get my hands on one so that I figure out how to install your vape in my desktop computer, ONLY for personal use of course. That is, if you didn't have a problem with it. I've wanted to do this for a long time and I think your vape could be installed in a couple 5.25" drive bays or elsewhere without too much of a hassle. I'd just need to figure out how to power it. A 4 pin molex connector, pwm (although I'd be weary of the power draw on my mobo), AC, or even a DC connector would be suffice.

z9,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
except the draw speed and volume will drop the temp below the limit.

The limit is there just to make sure you don't exceed it.

I've been using a pulse-heated vapourizer with an upper limit for about a year and half. It's called the Magic-Flight Launch Box with power adapter, and it works famously for me. I'm never surfing on the edge of combustion. The power is set so that I won't ever reach combustion temperatures. Likewise, I can set it so that I don't get the high temperature thick vapour that I dislike. Setting a limit is enough for me. We're not talking about a large heat mass, and if you use micro-hits or pyronym's method then I don't think the temperature varies enough to matter.

I'm sure you've considered these points and made decisions based on what you feel would be a superior design. It impresses the hell out of me and I'm sure it meets your needs better than anything anyone else would devise. We have a difference of opinion about consistent temperature though. I don't put the same importance on it that you do.

pakalolo,
Reactions: RUDE BOY

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
well, mine really is pulsed too, at 1000 times per second. with a (more or less) fixed upper limit.

@ z9 -- have at it, this is open source hardware and software.

Hippie Dickie,

z9

I just need some free time, school's a bitch. You'll probably get some PM's from me in the future if I decide to go through with this, I won't flood your inbox. I was talking about pulsing in the more "traditional sense," like the mflb or something along those lines. But thats good to know.

z9,

Boxman

Whike cleaning, I was examining my Mighty's cooling unit today, looking at how they routed the airflow to so effectively cool the vapor. It got me thinking a 3d printed metal structure with internal channels and air gaps could be so much more effective. 3D metal printing is really starting to take off. It will soon becone cost effective for relatively low-cost applications like vapes. I think we'll soon see even small pen vapes that cool the vapor as effectively as the Mighty/Crafty, and without having to use plastic.They'll be all metal like the Grasshopper.

Boxman,

kellya86

Herb gardener...
I think the way we heat our favourite flowers, will change..

I believe ceramic heating elements will reach their ceiling of performance at some point..

Maybe something like laser vapourizers will be the future???

Battery tech is moving so fast, on all platforms, soon we will have much power at our disposal..which will maybe open up some possibilities for new heating methods....

Also when we can 3d print on an atomic level, a whole new world will open up...

kellya86,

Sara

You just gave me an idea

DIY automatic vape ripper 100% Glass. The one with two clear bottles. You cut the neck of the larger one, and the bottom of the small one. Sand where it is rough, clean it. Add water, adapter, rip.

I'm going to make one, already gathered the bottles and checked, I can manage a perfect seal on one. Really promising
lol take some pics when u do it :)

Top Bottom