The Flip Brick by Sticky Brick Labs

eaglesgift

I am having very little luck :huh::shrug:
I come at this from use of a SBJr so my suggestion may not directly relate, but the vapes are kin of one another.

I find a course grind packed very loosely in the bowl is important. You want the hot air to move quickly through the herb, and via as many paths as possible. A tight pack or fine grind seems to slow the movement of air through the load and allow super heated air to pile up in front and, hence, scorch. Rapid air flow will also allow the vape to pull more cool air into the heated air stream through that little vent on the side (not the carb hole), so draw with some force.

Last edited:

VisiblyVaped

I come at this from use of a SBJr so my suggestion may not directly relate, but the vapes are kin of one another.

I find a course grind packed very loosely in the bowl is important. You want the hot air to move quickly through the herb, and via as many paths as possible. A tight pack or fine grind seems to slow the movement of air through the load and allow super heated air to pile up in front and, hence, scorch. Rapid air flow will also allow the vape to pull more cool air into the heated air stream through that little vent on the side (not the carb hole), so draw with some force.

Rapid draw seems to not produce anything well, and there's no carb.....

I'm wasting so much

VisiblyVaped,

VisiblyVaped

dumb question but... do you have a good seal between the flip and your glass piece?

edit: just read your og post, if you're combusting try shortening the flame even more or moving it further away from the intake tube

Seal is secure. I have had the flame as short as possible while still lighting. If I shorten anymore it won't ignite.
I hold the flame far then draw slow. I'll get good vapor for a few seconds, then nothing. Move closer and it combust. I have combusted every load thus far. I want to love this brick, I'm chilling out now with some wax on an herb bed in a vapcap because it just occurred again.

Gigsabits53

Seal is secure. I have had the flame as short as possible while still lighting. If I shorten anymore it won't ignite.
I hold the flame far then draw slow. I'll get good vapor for a few seconds, then nothing. Move closer and it combust. I have combusted every load thus far. I want to love this brick, I'm chilling out now with some wax on an herb bed in a vapcap because it just occurred again.

That sounds very frustrating. I still combust in my maxx at least once every time I use it. But thats only once in a while, every single time would have me ready to throw the damn thing away lol.

Are there many videos out yet? Maybe watch as many of those as possible. Wish I had more insight for you.

VisiblyVaped

That sounds very frustrating. I still combust in my maxx at least once every time I use it. But thats only once in a while, every single time would have me ready to throw the damn thing away lol.

Are there many videos out yet? Maybe watch as many of those as possible. Wish I had more insight for you.
Every hit doesn't combust but I'm trying different packs and amounts too.......

If I get one vape hit, small usually because I'm cautious, then the next combusts (I stir regularly) it ruins most if not all of the load.
A good 8-10 hits worth (16-20 in my M) becomes 2-3 hits and a bad feeling/taste. It's really frustrating. The service at @StickyBricks is amazing though and that's why I keep trying every technique I can.
I know their devices can produce clouds and give amazing flavor but man it's tough now. Even cautiously taking small draws dry in a j hook (not preferred) is leaving charring.
I'm trying. I'm really really trying

Hjalmark

Oldest boy alive
Don't have the twisty just an hydrobrick but first week was bit frustrating until I got the technic down, now I can get huge hits and still even leave the load greenish

But is there a air intake on the twisty and have you checked if it's clear and probably drilled?

Seen a post somewhere here about a brick that just needed some clearing off the air hole intake (not the carb but the tiny one above it)

VisiblyVaped

Don't have the twisty just an hydrobrick but first week was bit frustrating until I got the technic down, now I can get huge hits and still even leave the load greenish

But is there a air intake on the twisty and have you checked if it's clear and probably drilled?

Seen a post somewhere here about a brick that just needed some clearing off the air hole intake (not the carb but the tiny one above it)

There's no carb on the flip brick unfortunately. I wish there was. I will check the air intake hole.
I have thought it functioned like a carb but I was mistaken if I posted that

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
@VisiblyVaped I don't have a Flip Brick (yet), but I may be able to help.

The most important thing to remember when honing your technique is to change only one variable at a time. For instance, don't change the load size and flame size at the same time. Changing only one variable at a time should help you figure out exactly how that variable effects the end result.

I think a good starting technique would be to fill the chamber between half and two thirds full. More full and it's easier to combust, less full and it can be harder to get vapor.

Flame length is subjective to a degree, and it sounds like the Flip Brick likes a shorter flame than the Junior, which likes a shorter flame than the OG. Half an inch has been mentioned as a good flame length. That sounds good to me, or maybe a little longer.

A bigger flame will allow you to use a faster draw speed and still get vapor. I feel all of my Bricks work best with a long flame and a fast draw speed. You may need to start a little slow, but as soon as you see/feel vapor, increase your draw speed dramatically. Try and keep draw speed steady and change the placement of the flame to adjust the thickness of the vapor.

When using this technique never slow down your draw speed, as it can lead to combustion almost instantly. Instead, just stop hitting it and go for a bigger cloud next time.

Also, I'm pretty sure the air intake is not supposed to function like a carb. I would leave it open at all times. I'm sure it's possible to use it with the air intake closed off but you would need to reduce flame length and probably move the torch further away. I think you could make it work but the line between vaping and combustion would be much thinner.

VisiblyVaped

@VisiblyVaped I don't have a Flip Brick (yet), but I may be able to help.

The most important thing to remember when honing your technique is to change only one variable at a time. For instance, don't change the load size and flame size at the same time. Changing only one variable at a time should help you figure out exactly how that variable effects the end result.

I think a good starting technique would be to fill the chamber between half and two thirds full. More full and it's easier to combust, less full and it can be harder to get vapor.

Flame length is subjective to a degree, and it sounds like the Flip Brick likes a shorter flame than the Junior, which likes a shorter flame than the OG. Half an inch has been mentioned as a good flame length. That sounds good to me, or maybe a little longer.

A bigger flame will allow you to use a faster draw speed and still get vapor. I feel all of my Bricks work best with a long flame and a fast draw speed. You may need to start a little slow, but as soon as you see/feel vapor, increase your draw speed dramatically. Try and keep draw speed steady and change the placement of the flame to adjust the thickness of the vapor.

When using this technique never slow down your draw speed, as it can lead to combustion almost instantly. Instead, just stop hitting it and go for a bigger cloud next time.

Also, I'm pretty sure the air intake is not supposed to function like a carb. I would leave it open at all times. I'm sure it's possible to use it with the air intake closed off but you would need to reduce flame length and probably move the torch further away. I think you could make it work but the line between vaping and combustion would be much thinner.

I don't use the air intake as a carb or alter more than one variable at a time, but I will try to use this advice next session and report back

Edit: tried above. Two hit vapor minimal scorching but minimal milking. Then combustion. 2/3 pack loose.

I'm checking out and changing screens after cleaning again. I'll try once more in a couple hours. Sad as hell....

Last edited:

Gigsabits53

I don't use the air intake as a carb or alter more than one variable at a time, but I will try to use this advice next session and report back

Edit: tried above. Two hit vapor minimal scorching but minimal milking. Then combustion. 2/3 pack loose.

I'm checking out and changing screens after cleaning again. I'll try once more in a couple hours. Sad as hell....

Don't give up, I'm sure you will get the hang of it in due time. I know all of my butane vapes seem to work differently and they all have been much trial and error. Hell, the maxx is still a struggle for me. I have good luck using it dry but every time I try to use water its hit & miss, even with a hydratube.

Anyway, keep at it, the technique will come. Trouble is, you may have to blow through a fair amount of bud until you get the hang of it. :)

VisiblyVaped

Don't give up, I'm sure you will get the hang of it in due time. I know all of my butane vapes seem to work differently and they all have been much trial and error. Hell, the maxx is still a struggle for me. I have good luck using it dry but every time I try to use water its hit & miss, even with a hydratube.

Anyway, keep at it, the technique will come. Trouble is, you may have to blow through a fair amount of bud until you get the hang of it. :)

I dunno man. I'm still going to give it a few sessions but I can't afford to blow though a fair amount of bud because it's combusting. I conserve and micro dose now with the kid here and funds more limited, and that's only possible if the load isn't burning (rip it twice, come back later stir and rip).
That was my original hope at least

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
rip harder? I'm not sure what advice to offer as I've left things relatively untouched besides flipping the screen underneath the intake glass so it sits flush, instead of with the edges poking down... that's all.

Like I said, I keep my flame as low as possible and kinda just rip it. I usually try and just rip it for as long as my lungs can handle, and stir after each hit. With perfect tech, I'd expect each bowl (a literal pinch or 2) to last 3~ hits.

First being flavor, 2nd just massive, and 3rd kinda ass but just finishing up. I don't aim to get my ABV coffee ground/chocolate dark... maybe a shade lighter.

I never am able to see the deeper blue, inside flame from inside of the flame intake - if that gives any indication as to how far I put my flame in.

I've oddly had the easiest time with this of any butane vape I've tried. Even when I was using the air intake hole as a carb I never combusted :doh:

Gigsabits53

I dunno man. I'm still going to give it a few sessions but I can't afford to blow though a fair amount of bud because it's combusting. I conserve and micro dose now with the kid here and funds more limited, and that's only possible if the load isn't burning (rip it twice, come back later stir and rip).
That was my original hope at least

Yep I hear ya. Being in an illegal state, weed is not always a given. Sometimes my guy is empty so I look to conserve as well, although with limited success ;).

VisiblyVaped

Yep I hear ya. Being in an illegal state, weed is not always a given. Sometimes my guy is empty so I look to conserve as well, although with limited success ;).
Ahhh. I am medical in a medical state so that's not my issue. High taxes, crooked politicians, and a whole bunch of other crap in my state can be an issue. I love my son but I learned fast that they are pretty expensive people, especially considering they can't even talk.

SloJimFizz

Unknown Member
Hope you get the hang of it. I was in your boat and struggled and burnt a bunch. Wotking with the Vapman just prior to getting this may have helped a bit with my flame control, cause both kinda put you in control of the heat and amount applied and also knowing when to back off on the heat is a pretty important feel to get. Stick and move with the heat with your inhale strength getting stronger after heat is pulled away.
I did a couple loads trying to get you more info to work with. Scorched a pea sized spot near the end of the second. :D
I was visibly vaped by then though.;)

WakeAndVape

VapeLife X
@Vapor_Eyes the flips flame path is about 1/2 shorter than Jr's...plus no carb. I was initially charring and combusting quite often as well.

@VisiblyVaped...i'm not sure what your hitting it out of, but what helped me was hitting it dry with the junior mouthpiece and a silicone adapter by @Ratchett

The short vapor path plus the absence of water, allow you instant: taste based feedback.

once you've established the 'feel'...water mating will be easier...or even mating with a longer path.

...dont give up.

jardri

Vapor Dreams
I am a noob with bricks and I have the same issues VisiblyVaped has. I cant get a good amount of good hits and i get hotspots and combustion all the time. I use the lowest flame I can but it is really dissapointing. My Plenty is more efficient with more taste and clouds and bricks are supposed to be as efficient as a vapcap, which is more than a plenty. So far it is money badly spent if i could i would return and refund but i still want to give it a chance.

VisiblyVaped

@Vapor_Eyes the flips flame path is about 1/2 shorter than Jr's...plus no carb. I was initially charring and combusting quite often as well.

@VisiblyVaped...i'm not sure what your hitting it out of, but what helped me was hitting it dry with the junior mouthpiece and a silicone adapter by @Ratchett

The short vapor path plus the absence of water, allow you instant: taste based feedback.

once you've established the 'feel'...water mating will be easier...or even mating with a longer path.

...dont give up.

I'm using the J hook. The shorter path is easier but I'm still scorching.
I'm going to continue to try a bit today but I don't have high hopes. I can't afford to run through as much of my stash trying to learn it yet feeling more frustration than buzz. I haven't abandoned it yet but I am truly at a loss

I am a noob with bricks and I have the same issues VisiblyVaped has. I cant get a good amount of good hits and i get hotspots and combustion all the time. I use the lowest flame I can but it is really dissapointing. My Plenty is more efficient with more taste and clouds and bricks are supposed to be as efficient as a vapcap, which is more than a plenty. So far it is money badly spent if i could i would return and refund but i still want to give it a chance.

Funny you mention VC, I am a huge fan of them and own 2. I wanted the on demand ability but variety, hence the brick.
At least I'm not alone. It's a shitty club to be a member of but....... Welcome to it!!

StonerSloth

cui bono?
Those of you having scorching issues - did you read @Cl4ud3 's post here ? This post got me to experiment with washers and screens right under the flame intake - I found that these have a huge impact on heat distribution/scorching potential.

The screens you need are 1/2" which are the size for the Solo and other common vapes. The washers you'd need are stainless #10 size if you are in the US (slightly smaller than 1/2" OD.)

I have experimented with a few different setups and eventually settled on just adding one single screen (no washers) under the intake tube, in addition to the screen from the factory on bottom of the intake block. I find that this reduces the vapor density to some degree, but helps to prevent scorching and combustion.

In my personal experience, the washer soaked up too much heat and made the vapor really thin. Removing it worked better for me, but you should try a few different setups to see what works best for you!

VisiblyVaped

I will try adding an extra screen but if too much vapor density gets sacrificed that's not really up to par either, at least for me.

Clouds are King. Not huge, but good. That's important

VisiblyVaped

Unfortunately trying to get absolute maximum vapor density with a butane torch is a dangerous game!

I don't mean ABSOLUTELY FULL vapor density but when you see the videos others post there are decent clouds of pure vapor without the color tint of obvious burning.......
I can't really get anything good going on yet. But I will try adding another screen in the mix

VisiblyVaped,

VisiblyVaped

@VisiblyVaped If I were you, I would just walk away from it for a few days. Give her a break & come back to it w/ a fresh mind and renewed vigour. When something is frustrating me, more of the same usually keeps yielding poor results. YMMV.

I'm trying one load with an extra screen under the intake as suggested, then I'm using my M and Nanovong the rest of the day (unless the opposite of every other load tried occurs)

Top Bottom