Discontinued The Firefly Vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

toros23

I'd avoid the fine grinds unless you are using a really small amount (less than .10). I don't think chunks would give enough surface area and you would need to make sure the hot air is going through the chunk and not around it. If you want to figure out if it is a device malfunction or an issue with technique, maybe try several consistent loads with the same material/grind/weight. 400 degrees is a lot of heat and it is really easy to get into trouble with fine, dry powder for sure. I can't explain the chunky load combusting, never attempted that. I would think .15 grams of SC Shredder grind (medium/fluffy) using material that is not totally dry would be ideal for this device. At least that is what I am hoping.

toros23,
Reactions: denalus

grokit

well-worn member
I'm thinking that a wisp of hemp or cotton fiber could solve the too-finely-ground issue.

I tried some not completely dry chunks covered by a bit of hemp fiber in my pnp yesterday -- they vaped surprisingly evenly. I ground up the avb afterwords, and it was dark brown throughout.

grokit,

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
I'm obviously not describing this correctly, because trust me, if you experienced it, you wouldn't ascribe it to grind or draw or technique. I'm not talking about, say holding the battery in too long on the LB and realizing "oh wow, i singed my material, oops". I'm talking about a sudden, immediate spike where even early in a hit you go from barely getting vapor to BAM burning and smoke. My wife smelled smoke from two rooms away. Again, in like second five of holding down the button, totally randomly.

Or to contrast...when it's working right, you can hold that button down forever, heat the entire unit up plenty, draw as slow as you like, and you don't get any burn. Which is how they describe the item.

I've been vaping for enough years, on enough devices, to know the difference between my learning curve and a device acting wacky. What the problem is and how to fix it, i'm clueless, but it's not working right. I shouldn't draw in mortal fear of a random combustion event.

toros23

I'm obviously not describing this correctly, because trust me, if you experienced it, you wouldn't ascribe it to grind or draw or technique.

No your descriptions are fine, looks like I'm just trying to be too helpful. Good luck with the FF folks.

mitchgo61

No your descriptions are fine, looks like I'm just trying to be too helpful. Good luck with the FF folks.

Totally appreciate the help, that's why i'm here! I really was hoping it was my learning curve today but it was too obvious that the device was acting weird. I'm sure i'll get to the bottom of it....

Well I hope on Wednesday I fair better than you have. Fingers crossed!

Me too! Very curious to hear about your experience.

mitchgo61,

VaPeD&CoNfUsEd

JoDa Glassworks
Glass Blower
I'm sure the guys over at FF will honor their warranty and get a replacement to you. Hopefully it's not a common defect and is just a fluke unit.

lwien

I'm obviously not describing this correctly, because trust me, if you experienced it, you wouldn't ascribe it to grind or draw or technique. I'm not talking about, say holding the battery in too long on the LB and realizing "oh wow, i singed my material, oops". I'm talking about a sudden, immediate spike where even early in a hit you go from barely getting vapor to BAM burning and smoke. My wife smelled smoke from two rooms away. Again, in like second five of holding down the button, totally randomly.

Or to contrast...when it's working right, you can hold that button down forever, heat the entire unit up plenty, draw as slow as you like, and you don't get any burn. Which is how they describe the item.

I've been vaping for enough years, on enough devices, to know the difference between my learning curve and a device acting wacky. What the problem is and how to fix it, i'm clueless, but it's not working right. I shouldn't draw in mortal fear of a random combustion event.

Just send that puppy back in for warranty service.

lwien,

grokit

well-worn member

It definitely sounds like your unit's gone haywire. I just meant that I would try the fiber if I thought I needed a screen, instead of the metal that has perhaps screwed up your temperature sensor.

And my comments about chunks working out in the pnp were because it also uses convection, so it's worth a try here because if it works no screen would be necessary at all.

Anyways I hope you get your combustion issues worked out sooner than later!

grokit,

mitchgo61

Just spoke with them. (they do have a phone number and are pretty helpful.) At first they, too, told me my grind was too fine. When i described exactly what was happening, they put me on hold, and then replied "wow, that sounds not right. send it back". So now i'm stuck paying return postage, and likely waiting two weeks before i get a repaired or replaced unit. Again, cost of being an early adopter, i guess.

The things we do for vapor.

natural farmer

Just spoke with them. (they do have a phone number and are pretty helpful.) At first they, too, told me my grind was too fine. When i described exactly what was happening, they put me on hold, and then replied "wow, that sounds not right. send it back". So now i'm stuck paying return postage, and likely waiting two weeks before i get a repaired or replaced unit. Again, cost of being an early adopter, i guess.

The things we do for vapor.

It happens with Solos, Evos, Nanos, everything... You were the lucky one... ;)

mitchgo61

It happens with Solos, Evos, Nanos, everything... You were the lucky one... ;)

Yup. Occupational hazard when you're a pioneering consumer. :D Overall i've been lucky...this is like my 8th vape purchase in the past four years, and the first one that went pear-shaped. Such is life. Luckily, no shortage of functioning units here in the house. I'll muddle through somehow. :smug:

marduk

daydreamer
When i described exactly what was happening, they put me on hold, and then replied "wow, that sounds not right. send it back". So now i'm stuck paying return postage, and likely waiting two weeks before i get a repaired or replaced unit. Again, cost of being an early adopter, i guess.

Sounds like it was defective right out of the box. For a high-end vape at the price you paid, I think they should cover return shipping for DOA units.

If I'm not mistaken, Ploom sends out prepaid labels for PAX warranty coverage throughout the warranty period.

Belgianvapor

aaawwwww, poor me !

I kept seeing "processing" in my acount on the firefly website, so i started a live chat just a few minutes ago to ask about that and they looked up my order nr and it turns out that as for now, they don't ship outside of the states yet so they will refund me.

Belgianvapor,
Reactions: BLAZING OG

mitchgo61

I agree, but a lot of mfg do this.
Sounds like it was defective right out of the box. For a high-end vape at the price you paid, I think they should cover return shipping for DOA units.

If I'm not mistaken, Ploom sends out prepaid labels for PAX warranty coverage throughout the warranty period.

But wait. The story isn't over yet. Minutes after typing my last post, i get a call from Sarah C at FF. She says "i spoke with my manager. He wants to get your old unit back ASAP so they can test it..." So she says they will send me a postpaid mailing label so i don't have to pay for shipping.

Great news. And then it got better. She said they have already overnighted me a brand new unit which i should have tomorrow or Wednesday at the absolute latest. I could not have been more happy or appreciative. So, defective unit or not, and whatever may happen with the next unit, FF have a customer for life in me. Nothing bonds me to a company like great service.

And then while i had her on the phone, i figured i'd ask her about using a top screen (since after all she's the "service" person.) She said "well, the product is so new that we currently don't recommend any usage apart from what we suggest. However, you can try it, we don't have any reason to think it causes a problem, and it will NOT violate your warranty." Music to my ears. Then, quite amusingly, she said "you can try checking out that website "F" combustion.com...i don't wanna say the name, it's a swear word. The folks there always have great tips." Yes, thanks, familiar with it. :ko:

Finally i told her The Vape Critic, who seems to have the only current video review of the FF, mentioned trying a top screen to minimize spillage. She cracked me up with "oh the Vape Critic said that? Probably a good idea then. we love the Vape Critic...after all, he's...The Vape Critic!" Too funny.

So bottom line, great service, new unit on the way, hopefully better results starting tomorrow. Will let you all know what happens.

Last edited by a moderator:

lwien

But wait. The story isn't over yet. Minutes after typing my last post, i get a call from Sarah C at FF. She says "i spoke with my manager. He wants to get your old unit back ASAP so they can test it...the insurance guys were concerned about it." (guess maybe liability issues? not sure.) So she says they will send me a postpaid mailing label so i don't have to pay for shipping.

Great news. And then it got better. She said they have already overnighted me a brand new unit which i should have tomorrow or Wednesday at the absolute latest. I could not have been more happy or appreciative. So, defective unit or not, and whatever may happen with the next unit, FF have a customer for life from me. Nothing bonds me to a company like great service.

And then while i had her on the phone, i figured i'd ask her about using a top screen (since after all she's the "service" person.) She said "well, the product is so new that we currently don't recommend any usage apart from what we suggest. However, you can try it, we don't have any reason to think it causes a problem, and it will NOT violate your warranty." Music to my ears. Then, quite amusingly, she said "you can try checking out that website "F" combustion.com...i don't wanna say the name, it's a swear word. The folks there always have great tips." Yes, thanks, familiar with it. :ko:

Finally i told her The Vape Critic, who seems to have the only current video review of the FF, mentioned trying a top screen to minimize spillage. She cracked me up with "oh the Vape Critic said that? Probably a good idea then. we love the Vape Critic...after all, he's...The Vape Critic!" Too funny.

So bottom line, great service, new unit on the way, hopefully better results starting tomorrow. Will let you all know what happens.

Great post. LOVE what FF is doing for ya along with everything she said, that is until she said that they love the Vape Critic. Just for that, I will NEVER purchase an FF. ;)

Reading that post was like watching your favorite football team returning a kick-off 95 yards only to have them fumble the ball on the one yard line. :doh:

Last edited:

mitchgo61

Damn! You'll have your second one before my first even gets here! Lol

From what you say they are aware of FC. I sure would like to see some sort of presence from them on here.

They are aware. I have the feeling they are following this thread. Probably sped up my communication with them today.

I am sure interested in the Firefly and it looks like my style of vaping so I just want to thank the early adopters here for doing what I am unwilling to do. :tup: So thanks again to the early adopters.

I am rarely an early adopter. I've been eyeing the FF for quite a while, and just took the plunge. It's deep and cold on the early adopter end of the pool!

Great post. LOVE what FF is doing for ya along with everything she said, that is until she said that they love the Vape Critic. Just for that, I will NEVER purchase an FF. ;)

HAH! i have the same thing. my biggest issue with TVC is his NY accent makes him sound exactly like a friend of mine, and that distracts me. :lol:

Necrosan

What is the deal with this company? They seem rather unethical selling items not actually in stock.

I ordered my grey one on Sunday (12/15/13) directly from the manufacturers website. The site said that all orders will ship within 24 hours.
Check today, site no longer promises 24 hour shipment.
Contact support after receiving no shipment confirmation, they inform me that the grey model is actually out of stock. (Why the hell could I order it if it is out of stock?)

And to make it worse - they claim to have _no_ idea when more units will be in. (I spoke with Sarah C.)

I need this item by Christmas as I am traveling that entire week and following week.
I am ready to cancel and just get something else.

Anyone else have any advice? Not liking my experience with this company so far.

Edit: Also, I forgot to add the 10% discount during the order process and they claimed it was up to the 'billing department' whether they could retroactively apply it or not. Totally ready to cancel.

Necrosan,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom