Discontinued The Firefly Vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

EveryDayAmnesiac

Hoping someone on here can help with a little info about their Firefly:

When I look at the bowl in my Firefly, 5 of the 6 of the holes in the bowl are blocked by metal behind them except for one that can be looked through. In the few pictures I have seen, it looks as though all of those holes should be open (like in tufftitty's avatar for example).

Are the holes open, or are they all blocked on your units?

I have had very little success getting good vapor (I have read the whole thread and tried all techniques) and I wonder if mine is defective.

If those holes are all supposed to be open for hot air transfer it would explain a lot.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Can you post a pic?

dirty_honest

When I look at the bowl in my Firefly, 5 of the 6 of the holes in the bowl are blocked by metal behind them except for one that can be looked through. In the few pictures I have seen, it looks as though all of those holes should be open (like in tufftitty's avatar for example).

I have had very little success getting good vapor (I have read the whole thread and tried all techniques) and I wonder if mine is defective.

If those holes are all supposed to be open for hot air transfer it would explain a lot.

Try heating up the device without material. You should be able to see all the holes light up like in the avatar you mention. If not, then you have a faulty device... Sarah C. will take care of ya. Tell her I sent ya :buzz:

2 Paces

I didn't think to look for the red glow last night through the holes, but I will when I get home.

I did do a chat right after I posted here. Shelby told me the holes should be blocked, so I'm a little confused.

I'll be home in a few hours...

2 Paces,
Reactions: woodrow

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
I didn't think to look for the red glow last night through the holes, but I will when I get home.

I did do a chat right after I posted here. Shelby told me the holes should be blocked, so I'm a little confused.

I'll be home in a few hours...

That is confusing. I don't know what she means by "blocked", but when it's glowing you should see all the holes. It should look like that avatar pic.

I see the red glow through my holes when activated.
What is your draw like? Unrestricted, or sort of restricted?

dirty_honest

2-300x300-firefly.jpg

mitchgo61

I see the red glow through my holes when activated.
What is your draw like? Unrestricted, or sort of restricted?

Well...funny you should ask! We were just chin-wagging on this subject exactly one page ago. Go back and read page 63 from the top and you'll see the conversation. (Me, some moderate draw restriction, nothing major like the Solo.)

And if your glowing bowl looks like the picture d_h posted above...your holes are normal. (Not a phrase I find myself saying a lot.)

2 Paces

With the button pushed I can see red in all the holes.

It seems it is not defective.

No idea what is going on, but I have tried every different variation of grind, draw, preheat time, bowl fill amount, bowl compaction, and have tried 5 different strains that produce very visible vapor in other vapes.

I have yet to get anything but wispy hits, but the material gets spent.

I'm at a loss with this one.

mitchgo61

No idea what is going on, but I have tried every different variation of grind, draw, preheat time, bowl fill amount, bowl compaction, and have tried 5 different strains that produce very visible vapor in other vapes.

Medium grind. Fill the bowl to the rim lightly compacted. Press the heat button. Count four seconds. Draw as fast as the resistance allows but no faster. Hold the button for another 5-10 seconds. Let off the button. Keep drawing for another 10-15 seconds. Don't hit the button a second time.

First hit won't be great, usually. Second hit...you'll get big vapor.

mitchgo61,

2 Paces

Less is usually more with convection vapes… Have you tried coarse grind, half full bowl, unpacked?

Yep. Tried a full nug and a finger grind, both about half full just sitting there with no pack. Wispy hits at best.

I'll give it some more time this weekend, but I really have tried every variation with no luck.

Medium grind. Fill the bowl to the rim lightly compacted. Press the heat button. Count four seconds. Draw as fast as the resistance allows but no faster. Hold the button for another 5-10 seconds. Let off the button. Keep drawing for another 10-15 seconds. Don't hit the button a second time.

First hit won't be great, usually. Second hit...you'll get big vapor.

Tried exactly that too. No luck.

I appreciate all the suggestions, but I really have tried every technique mentioned in this thread. :shrug:

2 Paces,

mitchgo61

Yep. Tried a full nug and a finger grind, both about half full just sitting there with no pack. Wispy hits at best.

I'll give it some more time this weekend, but I really have tried every variation with no luck.

I appreciate all the suggestions, but I really have tried every technique mentioned in this thread. :shrug:

Make sure the seal on the lid is intact, in place, and free of debris. You wanna make sure the seal is complete and tight when you snap the lid on. If I'm getting light vapor, I'll lean on the button longer pre-hit and during the hit. Unless the unit really is defective (ie seal isn't working, or the heater is running too cold) you will get it hot enough to extract vapor.

Seems like almost everyone here has eventually found a technique that works...don't give up!! :tup:

bean420

Premium package + Sarah C = Firefly HEAVEN. Hands down, the best customer service to go along with the best portable vape. Is it just me, or is anyone else at all curious to see what Sarah looks like? :)

I just received my ff today. Should I see a vapor when I exhale or not? I am going to read all of the posts but I am so anxious to try it.

I am having exactly the same problem. Shouldn't we see something when we exhale?

Last edited by a moderator:
bean420,
Well...funny you should ask! We were just chin-wagging on this subject exactly one page ago. Go back and read page 63 from the top and you'll see the conversation. (Me, some moderate draw restriction, nothing major like the Solo.)

And if your glowing bowl looks like the picture d_h posted above...your holes are normal. (Not a phrase I find myself saying a lot.)
Don't know what your getting at, I was there, I remember the conversation, no need for me to re read.
@2 Paces I was just wondering how the airflow is on your current unit, is it nearly completely free flowing? Or is somewhat restricted(not quite the solo, but noticeable as mitch says)? I ask because if it's the first one, it may suffer the same deffect as mine. If it's the 2nd, then it should be normal.
Other than that, all I can think of is the quality and moisture content of the material being used can affect production.
I also find any breath control is only needed for the first 2 pulls or so. Once the unit is warmed up, I can pull as hard as I want, and I get rewarded for the extra effort with wonderful production.
Best of luck.

tufftitty

------
1. GET THE MATERIAL BONE DRY, place on a piece of paper and leave on ur desk for 24 hours ---finger grind
2. You're probably pulling too hard
3, take a mini breath right before depressing button so you don't feel like you're holding your breath when drawing and following the previously discussed button technique, take a Looooooong slow draw , take finger off heater when you feel the vapor on the back of throat. Keep drawing , carb out, the rest of your lung space with the same pulling force used with button pressed. Use button as carb. In between stirs, tamp bowl down.

bean420

This will sound like a flaky question....hubby wants to know what the vapor that is exhaled should look like? Does it look somewhat like smoke?

bean420,

2 Paces

I will do some more testing today.

I do appreciate all the suggestions. I am not shooting these down to be negative, just to let you know I have already checked them and tried variations:

1. I have tried 5 different strains, all are VERY dry and produce much visible vapor in all my other vapes (including my MFLB)

2. Lid is on as tight as can be, and I have also tried to squeeze it while hitting to make sure it is tight.

3. I have tried a super slow draw, the only thing it did was darken the bottom of the material, but still almost no visible vapor.

4. I have tried a fast draw also. No vapor.

5. I have preheated for about ten seconds, then drew while holding the button down for the entire thirty seconds. Wispy light vapor.

6. The draw is restricted. I don't own a Solo, but I would say it is similar to my Pax in that regard.

7. I have used (and own) convection vapes, so I am used to them.

Again, please don't take this as me not listening to suggestions. But I really have read this whole thread and tried all the variations. I'm not giving up yet, but I really don't know any other change in my method that I haven't already tried.

I've had about ten vapes, so I'm not new to learning curves, but I just can't get this one to produce.

Last edited:

2 Paces

Yeah, I told Shelby in customer service that I would get back in touch on Monday if I didn't have some success over the weekend.

2 Paces,
FWIW, Stacey in customer service told me that she does a brief warm up and then a nice steady draw while holding the heat for a bit. She continues the draw after releasing and then she gives it a 2nd push a few seconds later. Medium hand grind. Depending on the strain this might help some folks. The first 2 strains I tried did well with a 2nd push and/or a warm up. The stuff I picked up yesterday gives full milky, even chokey, hits with no warm up and only one push.

I know many of you think of the heat button as a carb. I thought of it more as a lighter with a traditional bowl. Sometimes you'll use a lighter longer than other times depending on how the hit is going. Sometimes you'll have to spark the lighter more than once. For me this is 2nd nature on a traditional bowl and is becoming such on the FF.

Basically there are no rules. Do what gets it done for you.

@bean420 The visibility of the hits vary. You can get pretty cloudy hits that resemble smoke but dissipate quickly unlike smoke. You can also get light wispy hits. And at times, particularly on the first hit on a cold unit, you may get no visible exhale but a great taste in your mouth. I've found that even with the invisible exhale I get a buzz. No need to see big clouds IMO.

I tend to be a one or two, maybe 3, hit and happy guy. As such it was a longer learning curve for me due to fewer reps. That was until I sat down and made the commitment to be totally baked by smoking 3-4 times what I normally do in a session and got the hang of the draw speed, heat, grind, etc. It still gets better with almost every use. BTW I think medium hand grind is the way to go. Anything smaller and it clogs the vapor channels around the bowl. I like to leave enough room in the bowl for good air flow and to allow for a good shake to stir the material.

EveryDayAmnesiac

I've had good luck by "puckering up" and hitting the FF like an old school tobacco pipe every 2-3 seconds. I slowly inhale with my lips forming a loose seal over the mouthpiece, so slowly that I am barely even breathing, then I "kiss" the FF and form a tighter seal around the mouthpiece and hit it like an old pipe, then back to loose seal light inhale, then back to puckering the pipe, etc.

It feels as though I'm using only my "mouth muscles" to bring the air over the herbs, as opposed to using lung power.

Don't know if this makes sense or is helpful, but... that's what I've been doing the past few days and it's been working better/faster than my method was before. :shrug:

Don't be afraid to really makeout with your FF! :love:

mitchgo61

Don't know what your getting at, I was there, I remember the conversation, no need for me to re read.

Sorry, I completely misread you...I thought you were asking ME about my draw, so I inferred you hadn't read the posts where I had gone on at some length describing the draw to someone else. I thought it might be helpful for you to read that conversation, but you already had and you were talking to someone else. I totally misread your post. Ignore me. ;)

Yeah, I told Shelby in customer service that I would get back in touch on Monday if I didn't have some success over the weekend.

It *is* starting to sound like your FF is defective. Given what you've described, you should not only be producing visible vapor, you should see big clouds. I know the FF folks had a small number of defective units...some were too hot (my first one, combusted randomly and wildly, had to return it). Some are too cold. You must have one of the latter...you are clearly not producing enough heat for vapor.

Last edited:

bumdiggy84

I will do some more testing today.

I do appreciate all the suggestions. I am not shooting these down to be negative, just to let you know I have already checked them and tried variations:

1. I have tried 5 different strains, all are VERY dry and produce much visible vapor in all my other vapes (including my MFLB)

2. Lid is on as tight as can be, and I have also tried to squeeze it while hitting to make sure it is tight.

3. I have tried a super slow draw, the only thing it did was darken the bottom of the material, but still almost no visible vapor.

4. I have tried a fast draw also. No vapor.

5. I have preheated for about ten seconds, then drew while holding the button down for the entire thirty seconds. Wispy light vapor.

6. The draw is restricted. I don't own a Solo, but I would say it is similar to my Pax in that regard.

7. I have used (and own) convection vapes, so I am used to them.

Again, please don't take this as me not listening to suggestions. But I really have read this whole thread and tried all the variations. I'm not giving up yet, but I really don't know any other change in my method that I haven't already tried.

I've had about ten vapes, so I'm not new to learning curves, but I just can't get this one to produce.

Dude..I like to use a flashlight during my session. .. I like to see the vapor..depending on the lighting you may not ever see vapor but with a flashlight.. guaranteed!.. hope this helps (I have yet to be able to count the number of hits I've taken because I've been so damn vaked..but all of my hits have huge milky clouds)
I think you may have a defective unit I own two FF's (grey and red...and yes I interchanged the lid and battery covers) .. the first one I had to return but it was a charging issue..the 2nd one purchased because I could not be more satisfied with the FF..I have an Extreme Q at home and FF has been slowly taking over lol

EveryDayAmnesiac

Dude..I like to use a flashlight during my session. .. I like to see the vapor..depending on the lighting you may not ever see vapor but with a flashlight.. guaranteed!.. hope this helps (I have yet to be able to count the number of hits I've taken because I've been so damn vaked..but all of my hits have huge milky clouds)
I think you may have a defective unit I own two FF's (grey and red...and yes I interchanged the lid and battery covers) .. the first one I had to return but it was a charging issue..the 2nd one purchased because I could not be more satisfied with the FF..I have an Extreme Q at home and FF has been slowly taking over lol

Let's see some pics of those multi-colored Fireflys!

I also often hit next to a spot light. In the beginning, I couldn't really feel any vapor so I would exhale next to that light to confirm I was getting some.

And I most certainly was! :tup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom