Discontinued The Firefly Vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

hi_there

With the issues the firefly was having I wonder if they blamed the manufacturer and stiffed them on a payment or something and now the manufacturer wants to get rid of the faulty stock?

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
Thank you muchly. :)

Indeed, the charring occurred on a tightly packed bowl. Will go easier on the packing density.........and the button.

Pyrolysis occurs when there's a shortage or even total void of oxygen. Pack densely and you minimize oxygen in the space and encourage pyrolysis (which charring is the symptom of) and thus you can avoid this by a looser pack. However, the nice thing about a dense pack in the FF and other convection vapes is that it makes it easier to pull thick clouds if you wish. You just have to watch the heat, and stir.

Looks like china just copied this one too....[link removed]
I wonder if anyone ever successfully sues these guys?

Sigh...

Last edited by a moderator:
mitchgo61,
Reactions: BreeJay

grokit

well-worn member
As far as the [fake] model goes, I would be more concerned about the included battery than the ff itself, that bad batch of batteries might need to be dumped. Still it may be the time to pick up a backup ff.

mod note: Reference to the source of counterfeits removed.

Last edited by a moderator:
grokit,
Reactions: ataxian

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Looks like china just copied this one too....[link removed]
I wonder if anyone ever successfully sues these guys?

mod note: Link removed.

I removed your links because it's easy enough to find without FC. We do not like to help the counterfeiters.

These have been available for months, by the way.

pakalolo,
Reactions: grokit

grokit

well-worn member
So it's confirmed that these aren't the genuine article?
I was thinking they might be moving old stock, maybe a ff2 coming down the pipeline.

grokit,
Reactions: steama

HD Springer

I'm very impressed that the staff here at fc is looking out for Firefly,us as consumers on the whole Fc community by keeping out the imposters that do nothing but ruin things for the people that do things the right way.Just makes me that much happier that I''m a member to a top notch community.

Mike M

Pyrolysis occurs when there's a shortage or even total void of oxygen. Pack densely and you minimize oxygen in the space and encourage pyrolysis (which charring is the symptom of) and thus you can avoid this by a looser pack. However, the nice thing about a dense pack in the FF and other convection vapes is that it makes it easier to pull thick clouds if you wish. You just have to watch the heat, and stir.

Sigh...
Always torn between the dense pack for clouds and looser pack for the even burn.

MrStrickland

I definitely have been having the battery light issue for a while. As other people have mentioned, turning it on and off can get you back on track. I love the throw a small bud method then just squish it down after a few hauls method because I'm lazy like that.

That said, I really need to get on this battery swap already. I really want to test out the 770.

MrStrickland,

ph3nix

I just had to send in my second unit, so I thought I'd make an account here and share. Maybe you guys have some idea of what's happening. I had the horrible battery issue with the second unit until I replaced the battery with a 770mAh one. It got a bit better but not by much. Then the heating chamber would come on randomly while charging and the light would toggle red/blue. When I unplug the unit the chamber stays on even though the unit is off and no light is on.... I've attached a couple pics.

Imgur Link: http://imgur.com/aPMMLbK,y5j1RLG,LEHIZBM,5hxXztK,3DYNDMb#2
LEHIZBM.jpg
5hxXztK.jpg

Last edited:
ph3nix,

mitchgo61

I'll shut up now but if they're sending what's in the pics, that's an amazing "tribute" to the real thing.

If it helps, here are a couple of quotes from the response I received about this....

"....people should be careful where they buy them. None of the ebay listings, Alibaba or DHGate are real units. We have a great relationship with our manufacturer and our distributor so we know where each real unit goes ....anywhere you're seeing the Firefly for less than 269, they are fakes and are really quite bad....Buying direct from our web site is the best way to guarantee the latest and best version of the product and helps us as a company the most." [emphasis mine]

So, don't shut up, but maybe don't buy one of these....:lol:

Titans321

I need help here.

Ordered my Firefly from eBay new for $185 with the whole kit and everything. Looks 100% legit and I'm sure it is.

However, I can't get this thing to hit properly. I've tried holding the button different ways and times and no luck. I've gotten about 3 hits out of 20-25 tries where I saw vapor.

My material was ground up in a Spacecasr grinder and gently dropped into the chamber. It isn't tight. I can move my herbs around inside as I move the unit around.

Please help!

Titans321,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I need help here.

Ordered my Firefly from eBay new for $185 with the whole kit and everything. Looks 100% legit and I'm sure it is.

However, I can't get this thing to hit properly. I've tried holding the button different ways and times and no luck. I've gotten about 3 hits out of 20-25 tries where I saw vapor.

My material was ground up in a Spacecasr grinder and gently dropped into the chamber. It isn't tight. I can move my herbs around inside as I move the unit around.

Please help!
"....people should be careful where they buy them. None of the ebay listings, Alibaba or DHGate are real units. We have a great relationship with our manufacturer and our distributor so we know where each real unit goes ....anywhere you're seeing the Firefly for less than 269, they are fakes and are really quite bad...

Quoted again for emphasis:
Looks 100% legit and I'm sure it is.
How sure are you really?

:peace:

mitchgo61

Well it looks and feels legit. And I'm getting small hits, so... But it could not be too. I've watched unboxing videos and they look the same.

Here's where I purchased it: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=221699368717

Obviously, the point of a counterfeit is to look so close to the original that someone not examining in minute detail might be fooled. While the FF has its technique challenges for even experienced users, and often legit vapes are sold on ebay, the combination of yours not working right and the ebay purchase seems a tad suspicious. Maybe it's hyperbole, but when the CEO of the company says they have such a tight relationship with their manufacturer that they literally know where every new unit ends up, it seems safe to assume any FFs on ebay or any unauthorized seller are probably fakes.

Here's a page with some info on how to spot a fake. This may give you some kind of confirmation one way or the other. I think you can also contact FF with a serial number and see if they can confirm the legitimacy of the unit.

http://www.thefirefly.com/faq-device-questions/?fid=14#

Titans321

Obviously, the point of a counterfeit is to look so close to the original that someone not examining in minute detail might be fooled. While the FF has its technique challenges for even experienced users, and often legit vapes are sold on ebay, the combination of yours not working right and the ebay purchase seems a tad suspicious. Maybe it's hyperbole, but when the CEO of the company says they have such a tight relationship with their manufacturer that they literally know where every new unit ends up, it seems safe to assume any FFs on ebay or any unauthorized seller are probably fakes.

Here's a page with some info on how to spot a fake. This may give you some kind of confirmation one way or the other. I think you can also contact FF with a serial number and see if they can confirm the legitimacy of the unit.

http://www.thefirefly.com/faq-device-questions/?fid=14#

Okay. Thank you.

So after some inspections, I think it is fake. The inside trim looks to have been cut by human with scissors, the box is not in great shape, there's no serial number on it, the space between the top and bottom parts of the box is slim, and it's not hitting.

So yeah. Could you tell me if this site is legit? http://vaporal.com/product/firefly-vaporizer/

Titans321,

mitchgo61

Okay. Thank you.

So after some inspections, I think it is fake. The inside trim looks to have been cut by human with scissors, the box is not in great shape, there's no serial number on it, the space between the top and bottom parts of the box is slim, and it's not hitting.

So yeah. Could you tell me if this site is legit? http://vaporal.com/product/firefly-vaporizer/

That sucks...but I can't say I'm surprised. I don't know if that link is legit...but since FF says anyone selling them below 269 is selling fakes, you can draw your own conclusions. I would assume these are fakes.

Best bet is to buy direct from FF. They will give you outstanding support, and in turn you'll be helping them by buying direct.

Titans321

That sucks...but I can't say I'm surprised. I don't know if that link is legit...but since FF says anyone selling them below 269 is selling fakes, you can draw your own conclusions. I would assume these are fakes.

Best bet is to buy direct from FF. They will give you outstanding support, and in turn you'll be helping them by buying direct.

I will definitely be doing that if I get a refund for this junk. Thanks for your help.

Titans321,
Reactions: mitchgo61

HD Springer

Damn Titans that does suck.I hope when you get refunded you dont give up on the firefly because its def a great portable unit in my opinion.These fakes cant be good for an up and coming co.If for nothing else just taking sales away and putting inferior products out in the market.I feel like i have an invested interest in the company and id like to see them prosper and grow.

blamejane

Springer is right...

Definitely no good came come of it for the company. Not only do they lose profits but the negative feedback from an inferior product is naturally going to play onto the FF product.

I hope I'm wrong here and that something can be done.

mitchgo61

Damn Titans that does suck.I hope when you get refunded you dont give up on the firefly because its def a great portable unit in my opinion.These fakes cant be good for an up and coming co.If for nothing else just taking sales away and putting inferior products out in the market.I feel like i have an invested interest in the company and id like to see them prosper and grow.
Springer is right...

Definitely no good came come of it for the company. Not only do they lose profits but the negative feedback from an inferior product is naturally going to play onto the FF product.

I hope I'm wrong here and that something can be done.

The good news longer-term is that they've apparently identified two China companies involved in counterfeits and are in the midst of enforcement efforts to shut them down, but obviously it takes a while. And even then, there's fake inventory floating around for months...

It really does totally suck. Bad for the company, bad for well-meaning users who get screwed, bad for the product category when people become disillusioned with poor performance...just bad. Hopefully they stop this crap fast.

BlueSkyUSA

Hello Everyone,
Just bought the Firefly Monday. First time vaping and still trying to learn. Im on page 63 soaking in all the helpful hints but jumped ahead to write this post.
After days of inconsistent results I discovered if I do the following I get better results - hold the FF with both hands like you are eating a burger, press the button, take about a 10 second hit, release button, continue to draw for for about 10 seconds, I also release my finger pressure on the lid about 3 seconds before I stop inhaling. It kinda acts like a carb letting in more air. I also noticed on my FF when I have the lid on and I view it from the side the lid is not flush all the way down. Its a little higher on the bowl end. The seal still seems fine. I found my sweet spot to hold my FF is fingers along side of the bowl and a little towards the mouthpiece. At first I tried in front of the bowl but it restricted to much air flow.
I also discovered that if you need a cheap hard case to just carry your FireFly around by it self an old Revo hard sunglass case fits it pretty snugly.
Thanks to everyone for the tips, back to page 64 to see what else I can learn!!
( I just realized that I might find this exact tip in the 140 pages! If so sorry for repeating!)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom