• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Discontinued The Firefly Vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

slick

Okay its been like a 2 months now with the firefly and its amazing! Saving so much herb and money. Battery sucks but I only use at home. I wanted to know some tips and tricks for my FF. I read something about putting a screen on top of the herb and stuff like that. I just want to try things out that other people do to max out the vape. I usually just pack a little over the rim and draw while holding the trigger till I feel something and I let go of the trigger and keep pulling for another 5 secs. I have glass screens also if there's a cool trick to do with those. Thank you !

There's a lot of really good tips on the previous pages. I point it out not to be a dick but to make sure you look. There are as many methods as there are users.

That being said I think you might have some success with longer draws. Instead of stopping the hit when you feel something, just draw faster. You'll still be getting a hit, but it should be cool enough to still enjoy.

slick,

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
There's a lot of really good tips on the previous pages. I point it out not to be a dick but to make sure you look. There are as many methods as there are users.

Check out the Best Of thread. It's still under construction and only goes up through April, but it contains most of the various technique posts. It's a pretty quick way to read up on the many successful approaches FF users have applied. Four pages...in a half hour you'll learn six months' worth of data.

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/best-of-the-firefly-vaporizer-thread.16628/

mitchgo61,
Reactions: slick

Vinman

...2. On a fresh charge, every single time, the first hit causes a false red light. EG, mid-first hit, red light comes on, heat shuts down. Toggle off/on, green comes back, rest of battery charge is normal...
This now happens with me, but only with the FF using the oldest battery, which I must recharge before using each day.

Vinman,

mitchgo61

This now happens with me, but only with the FF using the oldest battery, which I must recharge before using each day.

I finally unwrapped two new batteries. I can confirm this weird, "false red" thing does indeed happen with the new batts, at least on my Red FF. TBD if the Silver still does it but I think my hunch that it's the device and not the battery is correct.

On the plus side, the new batteries are giving me 2x the hits I was getting on the older ones...not surprisingly.

mitchgo61,

SteadyChiefin

I have been thinking about getting a Crafty or a Mighty. You have the Fifefly, can you give a quick rundown on why you seem to like the Crafty better?

Man, there are so many reasons the Crafty is better than the Firefly, I don't even know where to begin. Better battery life, bigger herb chamber, more portable, more versatile, easier to use, less cleaning, etc. It outperforms the Firefly in every aspect except for vapor taste, where the Firefly has a slight edge.

SteadyChiefin,

HellsWindStaff

Dharma Initiate
Man, there are so many reasons the Crafty is better than the Firefly, I don't even know where to begin. Better battery life, bigger herb chamber, more portable, more versatile, easier to use, less cleaning, etc. It outperforms the Firefly in every aspect except for vapor taste, where the Firefly has a slight edge.

It also outperforms the FireFly when it comes to draining my wallet :p seriously, I REALLY think the Mighty is sexy and I admit I kind of hate on the Crafty a bit, if you're going to drop $400 on a Vaporizer....what's another $60 to ensure you get the "best" one available (Best being subjective obviously)? That's really my caveat as to why I don't understand why anyone would choose the Crafty over the Mighty....obviously the units design appeals to you, but if money isn't an issue (and it shouldn't if you're spending $400 on a vaporizer) I don't know why you wouldn't get the version that is the creme de la creme, rather than a gimped little brother (from my perspective).

Else, I think the FireFly is the superior machine. Does everything the Crafty does, but its much cheaper. Don't understand how the Crafty would be easier to clean, as the Firefly literally has no parts lol. From what I've read, the FireFly and Crafty have pretty similar battery life (4-5 bowls) I also don't really think the Crafty would be easier to use, seeing as you have to use a 3rd party device (smartphone) to adjust your temperatures. Firefly you just hit the button and go...obviously some skill and experience is required for YOUR personal best session, but all vapes have a bit of a learning curve. That being said, I don't own a Crafty, so I don't really know, this is all just opinion and based on what I've researched.

Too all of you saying you are having battery issues....I got a unit in November (Believe it came in....11/15?) and I have not encountered any of the battery issues you are experiencing. I get about 4-5 bowls worth, 4 if I am packing them more on the full side. I get about 5-6 monster hits per bowl, holding the button down for 15-20 seconds each time. Also, hold the button down for 10 seconds when I start my session and pull a little air in to "preheat" the chamber. I don't know if it is good for it or not, but basically whenever my FF is not in use, I am putting it on the charger. If I had been running it for a while, it charges up in the 45 min time advertised, if I only used a bowl or two, it charges in significantly less time.....when its done charging, I pull it from the charger, though there have been a few nights I've passed out while its been charging.

Also, I know it says for Flower use only, but I recently came upon some hash and have been breaking little chunks to nestle into my FF bowls....A++++ Haven't noticed my screen or bowl being significantly dirtier from it, though my bud at the end of the session looks much darker then normal vape (I suspect as the hash vaporizes it spreads over it to give it a darker color)

Finally @kayaman , I was utilizing that technique, but try this, I have found it delivers a much bigger "cloud" and a bigger lung buster......after you pack your FF, hold the button for 5-7 seconds then inhale for like 2-3 seconds....STOP hitting the button and STOP inhaling. After like 2-3 seconds, hold the button again and inhale for 7-10 seconds, pause, let go of the button and STOP inhaling....hit button again and inhale...rinse and repeat...only draw from the Firefly when not hitting the button towards the end of your "hit" or "sesh" if you prefer....reason being, is that you are drawing hot air in when you inhale + holding button...you are drawing cold air in when you are inhaling - holding button......consequently you can keep the chamber hotter if you stop inhaling when you stop pushing the button.....I have found it provides for a much bigger toke. Can cash a bowl in about 5 of these hits, and it is like...85% vaped? Idk, but its pretty brown, not combusted but definitely vaped thoroughly. Only reason I say 85, is because I don't stir my bowl usually and see a piece or two of green floating around occasionally. I recommend preheating it like I said, as I find getting the bowl a little hot before you really START vaping has allowed for a better experience.

Mike M

It also outperforms the FireFly when it comes to draining my wallet :p seriously, I REALLY think the Mighty is sexy and I admit I kind of hate on the Crafty a bit, if you're going to drop $400 on a Vaporizer....what's another $60 to ensure you get the "best" one available (Best being subjective obviously)? That's really my caveat as to why I don't understand why anyone would choose the Crafty over the Mighty....obviously the units design appeals to you, but if money isn't an issue (and it shouldn't if you're spending $400 on a vaporizer) I don't know why you wouldn't get the version that is the creme de la creme, rather than a gimped little brother (from my perspective).

Else, I think the FireFly is the superior machine. Does everything the Crafty does, but its much cheaper. Don't understand how the Crafty would be easier to clean, as the Firefly literally has no parts lol. From what I've read, the FireFly and Crafty have pretty similar battery life (4-5 bowls) I also don't really think the Crafty would be easier to use, seeing as you have to use a 3rd party device (smartphone) to adjust your temperatures. Firefly you just hit the button and go...obviously some skill and experience is required for YOUR personal best session, but all vapes have a bit of a learning curve. That being said, I don't own a Crafty, so I don't really know, this is all just opinion and based on what I've researched.

Too all of you saying you are having battery issues....I got a unit in November (Believe it came in....11/15?) and I have not encountered any of the battery issues you are experiencing. I get about 4-5 bowls worth, 4 if I am packing them more on the full side. I get about 5-6 monster hits per bowl, holding the button down for 15-20 seconds each time. Also, hold the button down for 10 seconds when I start my session and pull a little air in to "preheat" the chamber. I don't know if it is good for it or not, but basically whenever my FF is not in use, I am putting it on the charger. If I had been running it for a while, it charges up in the 45 min time advertised, if I only used a bowl or two, it charges in significantly less time.....when its done charging, I pull it from the charger, though there have been a few nights I've passed out while its been charging.

Also, I know it says for Flower use only, but I recently came upon some hash and have been breaking little chunks to nestle into my FF bowls....A++++ Haven't noticed my screen or bowl being significantly dirtier from it, though my bud at the end of the session looks much darker then normal vape (I suspect as the hash vaporizes it spreads over it to give it a darker color)

Finally @kayaman , I was utilizing that technique, but try this, I have found it delivers a much bigger "cloud" and a bigger lung buster......after you pack your FF, hold the button for 5-7 seconds then inhale for like 2-3 seconds....STOP hitting the button and STOP inhaling. After like 2-3 seconds, hold the button again and inhale for 7-10 seconds, pause, let go of the button and STOP inhaling....hit button again and inhale...rinse and repeat...only draw from the Firefly when not hitting the button towards the end of your "hit" or "sesh" if you prefer....reason being, is that you are drawing hot air in when you inhale + holding button...you are drawing cold air in when you are inhaling - holding button......consequently you can keep the chamber hotter if you stop inhaling when you stop pushing the button.....I have found it provides for a much bigger toke. Can cash a bowl in about 5 of these hits, and it is like...85% vaped? Idk, but its pretty brown, not combusted but definitely vaped thoroughly. Only reason I say 85, is because I don't stir my bowl usually and see a piece or two of green floating around occasionally. I recommend preheating it like I said, as I find getting the bowl a little hot before you really START vaping has allowed for a better experience.
Nice Post, and I agree about the button control.

Mike M,

mitchgo61

Finally @kayaman , I was utilizing that technique, but try this, I have found it delivers a much bigger "cloud" and a bigger lung buster......after you pack your FF, hold the button for 5-7 seconds then inhale for like 2-3 seconds....STOP hitting the button and STOP inhaling. After like 2-3 seconds, hold the button again and inhale for 7-10 seconds, pause, let go of the button and STOP inhaling....hit button again and inhale...rinse and repeat...only draw from the Firefly when not hitting the button towards the end of your "hit" or "sesh" if you prefer....reason being, is that you are drawing hot air in when you inhale + holding button...you are drawing cold air in when you are inhaling - holding button......consequently you can keep the chamber hotter if you stop inhaling when you stop pushing the button.....

I don't know about the hot air/cold air bit, but for sure you are getting bigger hits in large part because every time you release and re-press the button you are re-starting the heat cycle and spiking the temp in the bowl pretty drastically in a very short time. You'll notice the coil glow dims in the back half of the press cycle, so you're effectively ensuring the highest possible temps by pulsing the button. This, plus a top screen, is about the best way to raise the temperature on a unit you feel is running a little cool-ish.

mitchgo61,

kahlilhc

Vaped Crusader/Serial Vapist
Can't speak for anyone else, but I picked the crafty over the mighty because
1. It was cheaper.
2. I was curious of the app, it is still a + in my book.
3. I'm interested in the MiniVap, which occupies a similar niche to the mighty.
4. It is stealthier, even if mighty is pocketable, a bright LCD screen is too conspicuous, crafty can turn the lights off.
5. USB charging.
6. Stands upright.
7. IT is rated as the "creme de la creme" ABOVE its "gimped" big big brother on respected review sites.
Edit 8. They perform the same
As to the Firefly, what it does, It does amazing....crafty/mighty can't match its instant heat up, ~pure convection flavour, battery swap, and overall sleekness. But ease of use is a real thing, and automatic vapes have manuals beat there...Crafty also takes it in stealth. But most of all, Crafty/Mighty have become LEGENDS of extraction, evenly vaped bowls, no shaking no stirring.

One added bonus of the FF is its just so fun to use, thats where manuals never get old.

Last edited:

HellsWindStaff

Dharma Initiate
1. It was cheaper.
4. It is stealthier, even if mighty is pocketable, a bright LCD screen is too conspicuous, crafty can turn the lights off.
5. USB charging.
6. Stands upright.
7. IT is rated as the "creme de la creme" ABOVE its "gimped" big big brother on respected review sites.

As to the Firefly, what it does, It does amazing....crafty/mighty can't match its instant heat up, ~pure convection flavour, battery swap, and overall sleekness. But ease of use is a real thing, and automatic vapes have manuals beat there...Crafty also takes it in stealth. But most of all, Crafty/Mighty have become LEGENDS of extraction, evenly vaped bowls, no shaking no stirring.

One added bonus of the FF is its just so fun to use, thats where manuals never get old.
Thanks for some perspective, was aware that both the Mighty/Crafty were phenomenal for extraction, I just didn't see the pros in standing upright/Phone App/No LCD...as they say though different vapes for different apes? Or something like that :p

The ability for both Units to be used while charging is honestly the biggest plus for me, just not enough to justify the price...maybe someday...

HellsWindStaff,
Reactions: kahlilhc
I tend to pack full bowls with my Fly, so perhaps I am comparing apples to oranges, but I bought the Fly brand new with the Black Friday sale along with an extra battery. I consistently get two bowls on one charge, and now one of my batteries claims to need charging after every bowl (unless it's the premature red light issue mentioned above -- will look into that).

TheDudeNextDoor,

WisconsinJake

Greeting all FFs, (Firefly friends) Curiously enough, my Firefly which I purchased in May, and which I use daily, ceased to function on the exact day of the Firefly 1st anniversary. A cosmic bummer, fer sure. I communicated with Caroline at Firefly in order to orchestrate a warranty return/replacement. She checked my unit's serial number against their database to ensure that my unit was not one of the counterfeit clones showing up on the market. My unit is authentic. Yes, imitation is truly the most sincerely form of flattery. Imitation is also the surest route to vaporization meltdown, as knock-off units of just about anything do not perform properly for very long. My Firefly was purchased from Vapeworld. Caroline told me that there are fake Firefly units on the marketplace. I look on eBay sometimes, and I am skeptical of "new" Fireflies being sold for significantly less money. Like my mom told me: "If it sounds too good to be true, . . . " So, beware of "screaming deals" online. Obviously, counterfeit units do not have warranty protection, and you could get burned (pun intended). Avoid combustion, my friends. Shop from a reputable source. Firefly has added a tab on their website which illustrates the telltale signs of counterfeititude. Be a savvy shopper, and, vape on !

Hey all. Long time reader, first time poster...but just wanted to share my unfortunate experience with a fake Firefly from eBay. After a few days, I found the performance rather poor...so I contacted Firefly. Turns out, it's a fake. Fortunately, I was able to get my money refunded. Anyway, after comparing a real and fake side by side, thought I'd share what to look for.

The package - It is a stretch, but the white space in the middle of the box is more narrow on the fake. (This is also mentioned by Firefly directly)

Serial number - the fake had a serial number on the unit itself, but not the outside of the box. The authentic has a serial number on the box that matches the one on the unit.

The mouthpiece - the glue/backing to the mouthpiece is visibly trimmed on the fake. It is not visible at all on the authentic.

The top - the rubber-ish seal around the edge of the top piece, if you look really closely, appears to be cut by hand. The authentic is clearly more precision cut.

The magnet - Interestingly, I found the magnet on the fake to feel more powerful than the authentic. However, it didn't have the same perfect "click" into place feel.

Screens - The fake did not come with extra screens. The authentic did.

Honestly, I thought the packaging and in-hand feel of the fake felt pretty "premium" still. I did not expect it was a fake. However, the taste and performance was (unsurprisingly) inferior, once I got my real one for comparison.

Watch out there folks. If the price is too good to be true, it probably is.

Last edited by a moderator:

slick

1. It was cheaper.
5. USB charging.
6. Stands upright.
Edit 8. They perform the same

Damn, I was looking for an excuse to drop a wad on the mighty, #8 might be it.

One issue I don't see addressed much is the temperature settings of manual vs automatic devices. Do you feel that have a preset temp has any advantage/disadvantage?

slick,

TNT_error

Since all the vapes mentioned are convection, manual or preset temps are a matter of preference. If you just want to inhale then presets are easier. If you want to control your temps by drawing techniques then manual. The FFs max temp is 400

TNT_error,

fernand

Wow, the fakes are THAT close???? Now I'm thinking, what have I gotten recently that I thought was just fine, but after a while I realized SUCKED? how about ... EVERYTHING?

fernand,

hafalump

Well the original battery now only last one bowl, six large draws, red and dead.
Almost two months of use.

Last edited:

SteadyChiefin

The Crafty gets about 45 minutes of battery life, which is about 4-5 sessions, but you can pack a good amount of herbs into it compared to the Firefly. The ease of use was referencing the fact that once you pack the Crafty, you don't really have to mess with the herb chamber until you're done. The Firefly will get chunks of herb in the vapor path that you have to clean out, plus you should stir the herbs every few draws.

Given my uses, I prefer the Crafty or Mighty to the Firefly. That's because I need battery life, a larger herb chamber, and portability. From my experience with the Firefly, it's a better vape for when you can sit down and relax, whereas you can use the Crafty or Mighty while doing just about anything.

SteadyChiefin,
Reactions: fernand

mitchgo61

Well the original battery now only last one bowl, six large draws, red and dead.
Almost two months of use.

OK that's not right. Did you buy direct from FF? If so call them or fill out the contact form on the website and request a new battery. I'm sure they'll send you one with no hassle whatsoever.

BuzzDanklin

I still get 3 bowls per charge and sometimes 4, and my Firefly has been used a lot for over 6 months. Something definitely sounds wrong with yours @hafalump

BuzzDanklin,

HellsWindStaff

Dharma Initiate
Something that may be silly fix but could help you guys out...but I'm assuming you guys have extra batteries because you want extended usage "on the go"...are you storing them on your person, or in a car/tent/bag/etc?

If I take my Firefly out, and leave it in my car for 30-40min at 40 degrees outside, it will run red for a while until the battery warms. Sometimes it stays running red til I charge.

May not be the issue, but could be for some of you! Just thought I'd share.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom