Discontinued The Firefly Vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeKickass

I depress the heat button, and count three flashes of the green light. While continuing to keep the heat button depressed, I begin a draw
That there advice is gold! Vapor is much better now :D

I had assumed when it was fully glowing it was up to temp, but it was already glowing by pulse one so I guess it helps to preheat!

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
@Ratchett Why don't you make the adapter come up at a right angle so the ff can be level when you hit it

Sadly I can't make right-angle adapters, and including them would raise the price.

Thanks for the feedback @Shit Snacks and @Trogdor - it was hard to get the mouthpiece profile to fit as snug as the Indica SonG because of the crazy shape. I had to use a 3D scanner to get the mouthpiece profile, but was unsuccessful in getting a clean scan - I had to tape up everything with a blue tape to make it scan properly with my optical scanner.

Can you confirm you are installing the Firefly the correct way? It only fits properly into the SonG in one direction.

I also found a better air-tight seal if you press the Firefly into the silicone while taking the hit.

If we still have problems, I might pull the design until I can find a way to Laser-3D scan the Firefly for more accurate measurements and modify the design.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Yes, I've been using it lined up correctly with the shape of the FF. I've been trying my best to keep it pressed too, its just tough when you're also trying to keep it at an angle (tried keeping it straight up too but its odd, like I said I do have more room for practice definitely). I've only gotten a wispy hit or two, but mostly got nothing, just toasting the herb with no real airflow through it

Shit Snacks,

Gee_Grover

So I finally got my parcel and opened it. Love the packaging, it throws the Ascent out of the water in that department. The lid is nicely held together by the magnets, but shame about the battery door, as that is so poorly implemented its unreal. It wasn't as bad in the beginning but I unfortunately dropped my FF on the second day, whilst unloading the bowl to put into my Solo after it showed me the red light.

Apart from the battery being POOR and no way of checking how much you actually have left until you load the bowl and are shown the red light(very frustrating), and the battery door being poorly implemented, I'm in love with this vape. The super COOL vapour is so cool, I almost had doubts whether I was even toking anything or if there was a leak just letting cold air in. As a result, it obviously tasted great. Super stealthy, no smell whatsoever. I was hitting it on the platform at the station, loads of people walking around, with none giving a second look. Super pleased with the purchase. Just not happy about the battery and the battery door. Has anyone found a way to get it to stay on tighter? I find that everytime I'm tapping to stir it, the door comes off.

Gee_Grover,
Reactions: mitchgo61

Mike M

So I finally got my parcel and opened it. Love the packaging, it throws the Ascent out of the water in that department. The lid is nicely held together by the magnets, but shame about the battery door, as that is so poorly implemented its unreal. It wasn't as bad in the beginning but I unfortunately dropped my FF on the second day, whilst unloading the bowl to put into my Solo after it showed me the red light.

Apart from the battery being POOR and no way of checking how much you actually have left until you load the bowl and are shown the red light(very frustrating), and the battery door being poorly implemented, I'm in love with this vape. The super COOL vapour is so cool, I almost had doubts whether I was even toking anything or if there was a leak just letting cold air in. As a result, it obviously tasted great. Super stealthy, no smell whatsoever. I was hitting it on the platform at the station, loads of people walking around, with none giving a second look. Super pleased with the purchase. Just not happy about the battery and the battery door. Has anyone found a way to get it to stay on tighter? I find that everytime I'm tapping to stir it, the door comes off.
I agree with you about the door, its connection and lock with the until feels flimsy. Maybe that's why they sell replacements on their web site for $15

For the battery performance, I fixed that by purchasing two extra batteries, and the extra charging dock from the site. That way, the FF is never down. I love the unit so much, I have been thinking about buying another charging dock as well, so I can charge two at a time and still use the unit. These extra battery fees have to be factored into your purchase.

Last night, for the first time I placed a screen over the bowl in the FF to keep small bits from flying out into my mouth, and I am amazed I had not tried this before. My FF even works more efficiently with it, producing for the first time truly dark back ABV.

Last edited:
Mike M,

Gee_Grover

Also seem to be getting the red light flashing but when I toggle off and back on, its back to green. Should I be worried?

Gee_Grover,

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are

Did you buy from FF? If so, go on their website and contact them and let them know your battery cover is faulty. They will send you a new one at no charge.

Also seem to be getting the red light flashing but when I toggle off and back on, its back to green. Should I be worried?

Is the battery likely dead, ie is it turning red after 20-plus hits? If so, don't worry. It's normal for the light to read green even on a dead battery after toggling. However, you are unlikely to get any real hits...it'll turn red again very quickly.

If you don't think the battery is really dead, and it's throwing a red light, that's a problem, but you should keep using it to see if that's the case. I had an FF that never worked right...would throw a red and shut off even on a full battery after 18 seconds of the button being held. Fully charge your battery and see how you do from the full charge.

Last night, for the first time I placed a screen over the bowl in the FF to keep small bits from flying out into my mouth, and I am amazed I had not tried this before. My FF even works more efficiently with it, producing for the first time truly dark back ABV.

Yes, the top screen creates more heat, consistently, probably due to adding a little extra conduction. I always slap on a screen towards the end of a bowl, to aid in the final stages of extraction.

mitchgo61,

JoeKickass

Think a battery gauge would be useful, but if you aren't planning on swapping batteries the door is fine IMO. It's made of metal and locks up tight, it's only an issue if you have to open it :2c:

JoeKickass,

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
I've never had trouble with my door, not too loose or tight. But it is definitely plastic right?

Shit Snacks,

Mike M

BTW. I took some survey from them on 11/21 and was supposed to get $20 off my next purchase. I never got any discount code, so I just called them and they are going to honor the $20 off. I believe anyone can call them and get the $20 discount (Just state you took the survey on 11/21), making buying an extra battery or charger a little easier on your wallet

Last edited:
Mike M,

grokit

well-worn member
My battery door seems very loose and doesn't latch at all, but it remarkably hasn't been a problem yet.

grokit,

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
Still at work for another 1.5hrs but it sounds like my FF was delivered earliar. Can't wait to get home and try it out.

IAmKrazy2,
Reactions: TNT_error

Mike M

Still at work for another 1.5hrs but it sounds like my FF was delivered earliar. Can't wait to get home and try it out.
longest 90 minutes of your life. You are going to love it. Hope you also ordered an extra battery. I have two extra's and find them necessary for a good night' session

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
Im a heavy user in general. I picked up two extra batteries. Im imagining a MFLB on steroids. If thats what i get, i will be more then satisfied.

I want something that will heat up with a quickness, and have a need for a house/outdoor or laying in bed type of portable, not a true stealth vape. I still have a solo and mflb for stealth.

Add in the dr. Dabber and my car power inventor when i want to use a VXC away from home and i feel pretty well rounded

IAmKrazy2,

TNT_error

That's a fair comparison, but no combustion like the mflb. I use some of my drawing techniques from my mflb on the FF. It's like a mflb+PA. You'll be surprised at how little materials it takes to get medicated too.

TNT_error,

Mike M

Im a heavy user in general. I picked up two extra batteries. Im imagining a MFLB on steroids. If thats what i get, i will be more then satisfied.
The until is so lovely. Nothing plastic, a real joy to hold and use, and the easiest cleanup you have ever seen. Just one point, my stuff tends to be finely ground, so I lay a screen over the bowl area, and it keeps the loose bits from being sucked into my mouth. If you are using buds, there is no problem.

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
Thanks for the tips. Herb is plentiful for me, so i will be certain to try fine grind, bigger chunks, single chunks off nugs, loose packs, tight packs, full bowls and less full bowls. Im not at all concerned about technique. As a vapor veteran i think ill be fine. Already assuming ill be the type to do very little preheating as i tend to prefer lower temp vapor. Cheers all, will provide more incite soon.

Modnote: Posts merged

Wow. its only been 37 minutes? So much for finishing off my work day in a productive manner.

Also im noticing no one seems to still have signatures bellow their posts on FC anymore. Is that a setting i have turned off, or did the administrators do away with signatures?

Sorry mods. I must be rusty as i just double posted. Im sorry. Been a member here almost 5 years and still cant follow instructions. My apologies for the inconvenience

Last edited by a moderator:

kube

cosmic sun
I have been using the firefly for a month or so before finding this thread and after exhaustively reading through it I have noticed a great deal of improvement in my vaping experience. I've noticed a lot of people are finishing off their ABV in another vaporizer but I've noticed that if I start off with medium grind I reach a point where I'm not getting any more vapor. At first I was just tossing this even though it wasn't dark. Then I started regrinding the ABV in a grinder with a finer grind, I'm using a small two piece space case grinder. When I have a decent amount of medium grind ABV, I regrind and revape in my firefly and I've been getting quite a bit more vapor this way. I'm really impressed with my firefly so far. I have ordered two extra batteries and a charger with replacement adapter.

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Also im noticing no one seems to still have signatures bellow their posts on FC anymore. Is that a setting i have turned off, or did the administrators do away with signatures?
IAK, hover over your name (next to "inbox, top right of screen) and select "preferences". Make sure you have the box checked that says "show peoples signatures with their messages".

woJL4K7.jpg

:peace:

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
BTW. I took some survey from them on 11/21 and was supposed to get $20 off my next purchase. I never got any discount code, so I just called them and they are going to honor the $20 off. I believe anyone can call them and get the $20 discount (Just state you took the survey on 11/21), making buying an extra battery or charger a little easier on your wallet

So they were nice enough to take your word for it and this is how you repay them? I hope that they start asking people who make that claim to tell them what was on the survey.

Besides what Stu said, you won't see signatures when you are using a mobile. ;)

Mike M

So they were nice enough to take your word for it and this is how you repay them? I hope that they start asking people who make that claim to tell them what was on the survey.
Well, I have bought the unit, two extra batteries, and two extra charging units, and touted their product with love on this site, so I guessed that's how I "repaid" them.

Mike M,
Reactions: fernand

fernand

On the lid, the tolerances are tight, it's metal and retains a shape. Which is why some of them might fit a little looser. If you slowly apply (a lot of) force with your fingers you can ever so slightly bend it inward so it presses a bit harder against the chassis. It doesn't take much, a couple thousandths. Or you can add all sorts of "friction devices", say a piece of tape.

FWIW, here is some documentation. Let's start with 0.050 g of 20%+ herb. That's 50 milligrams, 1/20th of a gram.

IMG_5646xL_zps8a8d4f86.jpg

At 20% assay, that contains 10 mg of THC, assuming full decarboxylation and extraction.
Plus luscious Terpenes and Flavanoids for max therapeutic effect. So in it goes.

IMG_5652L_zpsdf693947.jpg

After a little heat, shaking between tokes, sometimes breaking up the pieces with finger,
the vapestoffe has been transmuted.

IMG_5612xL_zpsb293fcfa.jpg

The basket is useful to have, for all sorts of things, but not essential for
normal vaping of dry herb, even for small amounts. It's great for vertical use.

IMG_5547CL_zpsc3dd0568.jpg

Liquid pad about to be fired. This is fine brass wool, stainless steel is better.

IMG_5755xcL_zps4271a715.jpg

As to H2O adapters, a piece of run of the mill 1/2" ID tubing from the hardware store works.
The tubing can also make a sideways adapter, as for the phone-home stealth method.

FireFly_20141205_205159rL_zps9bdf8113.jpg

Vape on!

Mike M

On the lid, the tolerances are tight, it's metal and retains a shape. Which is why some of them might fit a little looser. If you slowly apply (a lot of) force with your fingers you can ever so slightly bend it inward so it presses a bit harder against the chassis. It doesn't take much, a couple thousandths. Or you can add all sorts of "friction devices", say a piece of tape.

FWIW, here is some documentation. Let's start with 0.050 g of 20%+ herb. That's 50 milligrams, 1/20th of a gram.

IMG_5646xL_zps8a8d4f86.jpg

At 20% assay, that contains 10 mg of THC, assuming full decarboxylation and extraction.
Plus luscious Terpenes and Flavanoids for max therapeutic effect. So in it goes.

IMG_5652L_zpsdf693947.jpg

After a little heat, shaking between tokes, sometimes breaking up the pieces with finger,
the vapestoffe has been transmuted.

IMG_5612xL_zpsb293fcfa.jpg

The basket is useful to have, for all sorts of things, but not essential for
normal vaping of dry herb, even for small amounts. It's great for vertical use.

IMG_5547CL_zpsc3dd0568.jpg

Liquid pad about to be fired. This is fine brass wool, stainless steel is better.

IMG_5755xcL_zps4271a715.jpg

As to H2O adapters, a piece of run of the mill 1/2" ID tubing from the hardware store works.
The tubing can also make a sideways adapter, as for the phone-home stealth method.

FireFly_20141205_205159rL_zps9bdf8113.jpg

Vape on!
What is the basket you are using with the dry herb? Who makes it and where did you get? Thanks

blamejane

Thanks for the tips. Herb is plentiful for me, so i will be certain to try fine grind, bigger chunks, single chunks off nugs, loose packs, tight packs, full bowls and less full bowls. Im not at all concerned about technique. As a vapor veteran i think ill be fine. Already assuming ill be the type to do very little preheating as i tend to prefer lower temp vapor. Cheers all, will provide more incite soon.

Awesome, can't wait to hear some of your feedback...

Okay, posted this before reading all of the thread. I see the feedback has probably been given. Sorry for the lame post

blamejane,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom