1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.

The Firefly Vaporizer

Discussion in 'Portable Vaporizers' started by Depav, Nov 5, 2013.

1. hoyo77

hoyo77 Well-Known Member

What news???

darkrom and ShayWhiteGrow like this.
  2. Hoover

Hoover New Member

First time poster here, but a frequent lurker since the FireFly came out.

I've been a toker for many years, but got interested in vaping about a year ago. I purchased a FF (my first vape) at the end of January and have loved it ever since. The FF fits my wife's and my needs perfectly. I've followed this thread since the FF was released and this thread is what helped me make my decision to purchase a FF. Thank You all!

I purchased a 2nd FF (dark gray) in mid April so I could share more efficiently at social gatherings and for insurance if something went wrong with my first one (silver).

I am writing today to tell you how glad I am to have my 2nd FF. We loaded up the silver FF one afternoon and ... nothing! It did not heat up, the coil didn't glow, nothing. Bummer.

I spoke with Shelby this morning and I am sending my silver FF back to Seattle this afternoon. Hopefully I will have a warranty repaired or a new FF buy this time next week.

I'll keep y'all posted on what was wrong with my FF.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  3. mitchgo61

mitchgo61 I go where the thrills are

FF announced via their Facebook page that everyone should make sure they sign up for their email list because they were announcing some "big news" in the next few days. This was over a week ago...nothing so far. (Given how often "big news" is really "big" I expect it'll turn out to be less than thrilling.)

Sometimes I think this was FF's master plan all along...make an awesome vape that some of us become overly emotionally dependent on, but keep it buggy enough that we feel compelled to purchase a second "just in case". Planned redundancy. Kinda brilliant. :lol:

4. WildChild

WildChild Well-Known Member

You know, I feel the same. The former Apple inventor certainly borrowed from their marketing methodology! The FF experience is turning out to be almost cult-like...scary resemblance to Apple.

I guess I'm too negative...always notice the flaws first. Never get too passionate about any object or device. But I must admit, I learned to appreciate the FF for what it does well. Just took me a lot of practice...and a lot of great advice from this forum. :)

olfos, SSVUN~YAH and mitchgo61 like this.
  5. Mrbinky

Mrbinky Member

Hmm, I guess I didn't drink the kool-aid.

ShayWhiteGrow likes this.
  6. WildChild

Ya, glad I made the purchase but haven't joined the camp. But as long as it makes most people happy, that's really all that matters, I suppose.

7. natural farmer

natural farmer god is in the neurons...

About the Apple analogy... I really wish the FF turns out to be as trustworthy and dependable as most of the products I have purchased the last 8 years from Apple! Over 15 products and 95% of them still work suns a pair of headphones!!! It's not just a cult... They just work! So does the FF so far! :love:

8. mitchgo61

Yeah I have to agree...if anyone is comparing FF to Apple and thinks that's a derogatory comparison...personally I think FF would be flattered. As to drinking Kool Aid, well, that usually refers to blind loyalty in the face of contrary evidence...but despite some bugs, my FF love is based on positive experiences and largely fantastic results, unequaled by other vapes.

Personally, I go where the thrills are. I'm always open to new devices, and the second I try a vape that blows away the FF (for my purposes), the FF's are destined to be dust collectors.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
    ShayWhiteGrow, Adobewan and WildChild like this.
  9. WildChild

Touché :)

Didn't mean to be derogatory...apologies. I, too, appreciate my FF.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
    mitchgo61 likes this.
  10. fogbank

fogbank Well-Known Member

My two units do not behave identically. My Silver definitely runs hotter than my Grey. I even use different screens and different techniques. I have combusted multiple times with my Silver (back-to-back bowls even). I've only combusted once with my Grey.

If I have a strain that takes lower temps to extract I will use the Grey. Put a strain that extracts at lower temperatures in my Silver and POOF!

I had an opportunity to observe my Silver firefly combust the other day. I often vape by the bathroom window, in front of the mirror. I loaded a fresh bowl into the Silver. On the second hit, as I was watching the steady orange glow of the Firefly in the bathroom mirror, I saw the glow suddenly become MUCH brighter, felt the heat, and tasted the smoke of combustion. :(

Normally I enjoy a good pyrotechnics show, but not when it means breaking down my Firefly to try and clean the burnt smell out of it again.

Since then I have started using the 7 hole Wispr screen plus a top screen in the Silver. Works great and so far no combustion.

11. Mrbinky

Mrbinky Member

Yeah, probably...

Before the iPhone, there was Newton. Before Macintosh, there was Lisa. Before that, there was Apple III.

Before Firefly V2, there was...

12. mckeen

mckeen Tumrgrwer

...smoke

13. Mynameismud

Mynameismud But call me Alowishus Devadander Abercrombie.

I think it's More so just portables in general and the people around here...no one likes being without a portable once they find one they like. And unfortunately there haven't been too many reliable portable models out. Once you send your beloved portable out for a repair or warranty service you never want to go through the wait again so the only option is buy a backup. Look in any portable thread, even the most praised have many users having multiples (solo, iolite/Wispr, davinci/ascent, pax, Persei, thermovape, etc)

14. mitchgo61

Yeah I agree, and obviously I was joking (I'm sure FF would rather have sold a bunch of flawless units than have first gen customers feel like they need to buy a second...though they win either way, I guess). As much as I love my Solo, I'd just as soon not have to use it as a backup to an absent FF. Because as much as I love the Solo, which is a lot, I still love it way less than the FF. No one wants to be stuck with their second choice if they can avoid it...

SSVUN~YAH, Mynameismud and WildChild like this.
  15. Jethro

Jethro Well-Known Member

Yep, I am buying a FF for my backup or possibly my main vape if I like it better than my Pax. Had to combust for 2 weeks while waiting for my Pax to be shipped back to me. I desperately need a backup.

Vitolo, mitchgo61 and SSVUN~YAH like this.
  16. Hoover

Hoover New Member

Like I mentioned, the FF was our first vape; we have quit combusting entirely since the first day the FF arrived and we don't want to go back. The portable style fits our needs well, we don't want a plug-in model sitting around the house.

natural farmer likes this.
  17. FlyingLow

FlyingLow Team NO SLEEP!

I would not look at it so absolute.
    You are young in your vapor career, there are certainly benefits to having more than one kind of vape.

OF, olfos, °k and 7 others like this.
  18. ShayWhiteGrow

ShayWhiteGrow vAPEhOPPER

yep...what he said :)

Quetzalcoatl likes this.
  19. Jethro

Jethro Well-Known Member

What is the news?

darkrom and ShayWhiteGrow like this.
  20. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Member

I don't get this.

Why would you have to say anything?

21. Mynameismud

Mynameismud But call me Alowishus Devadander Abercrombie.

I'm not in a medical state. If I tried to bring it somewhere like a sportingn event, concert or somewhere you get searched they are gonna ask questions

22. Jack Sprat

Jack Sprat Member

Can someone please tell me if the window turns black after use, obscuring the view of the filled chamber? Thanks.

23. mitchgo61

Yes, a resinous material covers the glass fairly quickly. A fast, gentle wipe with an iso-dipped swab every three or four loads will clean it right up.

VaperB likes this.
  24. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Member

It won't turn black because there is no combustion.

But resinous material can build up on the glass if it isn't periodically cleaned off with alcohol.

25. Jethro

Jethro Well-Known Member

Has anyone used this that has experience with a Pax? It's the only vape I own but I am really wanting a portable convection vape- this one I think! Just wondering how it compares in flavor, clouds, maintenance, portability, battery... thanks!

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors