• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Discontinued The Firefly Vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrmrmrmr

Can someone who has used the firefly tell me with some detail about the taste and density of clouds ?

Mrmrmrmr,

VaPeD&CoNfUsEd

JoDa Glassworks
Glass Blower
The taste is very good. It's what you'd expect from a convection unit. I put the taste higher than the solo or ascent but that's my opinion and others will differ I'm sure. Cloud density is what you make it really. It's capable of big thick clouds or wispy little puffs.

Hey guys,
I just got mine today; but I don't seem to work it right. I try the VapeCritic method but does not seem to get any clouds or even decent hits. And a lot of material coming out the bowl while drawing, which is very annoying. Any suggestions?

JackTheWhiteRabbit,

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
Hey guys,
I just got mine today; but I don't seem to work it right. I try the VapeCritic method but does not seem to get any clouds or even decent hits. And a lot of material coming out the bowl while drawing, which is very annoying. Any suggestions?

You should re-read this thread from page 9 or so and you'll get a lot of good tips. My approach: fill the bowl with medium grind material, and compact it lightly. This'll minimize material coming out of the bowl. Turn on the toggle switch. Hold down the heat button for a precount of 4-8 seconds. begin drawing, slowly and steadily. Let off the button halfway through your hit. Don't re-press the heat button after you release it (once I release the button I will not press it again until my next hit). This first hit will be light...your second hit will be stronger. Keep your hits slow and steady and you won't suck material out of the bowl.

Give it a few tries...it might take you awhile to get a technique going. The FF is an excellent unit...once you find your rhythm with it you'll get great results.

Last edited by a moderator:

Buildozer

Baked & Fried
I'm not totally sure what the mouthpiece is like for the FF, but can some one fit it to a bong and tape it for me to watch please? :D

Buildozer,

mitchgo61

Make sure your material is as dry as possible. The dryer the better IMHO.

Absolutely. Although, easy trick...if it's not dry, put it in the FF, take two or three hits, and you'll have dry material. Open, stir, grind a little, re-compact. Voila. Dry material. Plus, you'll have gotten a few mild vapor hits in the process. (You won't see clouds, but you'll be getting tasty vapor on those first few "moist" hits.)

denalus

not a parking meter ;)
Just received & tried the Firefly. It is indeed an exceptional portable vape. Seems like .1g of material is about the upper limit on load size (fluffy, medium grind). @mitchgo61 usage instructions above are bang on. Love the window & the 1950's retro look of this thing. Taste & cloud production exceed the Ascent by quite a bit. All I can say is wow. I think I just found my new favourite portable.

Peace,
den

Last edited:

toros23

So far the feedback seems mostly positive. It will be interesting to hear more feedback as more people take the plunge. The only complaint I have at this point is the battery life. I am only able to get through two small loads before it is time to charge again. Anxiously awaiting the spare battery and charger I ordered initially.

Wonder if the mfg is ever gonna introduce themselves here. We know you are reading FF, say something!! lol

VaPeD&CoNfUsEd

JoDa Glassworks
Glass Blower
Yes, I'd say battery life is my only gripe right now as well. At least it charges really fast though.

VaPeD&CoNfUsEd,
Reactions: denalus

Meghan

Gah! I'm so close to pulling the trigger on one of these. The PNP has been my portable of choice lately, but I admit that I'm not using it as much now that I have the Lotus. And, to be honest, the foresight and maintenance required for the bullet system basically translates into me not being ready to use it at a moment's notice. And bullets are hard to load on the go.

The FF is so damn expensive, but also so pretty...and I like what I'm hearing in here. I have some Xmas money to spend and trying to make a decision is almost overwhelming. lol

:huh:

ETA: As far as battery life goes, can anyone compare to the PNP? That's a minor complaint I have about that unit, as well. I can only do 4, maybe 5, 8-minute sessions. I love the swappable battery for the FF, but is the initial battery life really only half that?

toros23

I have gotten 3 sessions out of a charge. It all depends on how you lean on the button.

I agree. I like to press the button for at least 10-15 seconds before the first puff. Once it gets warmed up, that is not really necessary IMO. I am finding it really hard to force myself to load such a small amount in a portable, I always seem to load a little too much. MFLB size loads work great but it has been a while since I used one of those. I usually like to take breaks between puffs, so the FF is ideal in this regard since it is not cooking the load unless you press the button.

@Meghan - I had an original Pinnacle (that I really enjoyed) and you can't compare the battery life to the FF. The FF is a battery hog for sure but when you see the performance you know why. The FF is also a lot like the MFLB in that regard (I was always swapping batteries), at least IMO.

Meghan

I agree. I like to press the button for at least 10-15 seconds before the first puff. Once it gets warmed up, that is not really necessary IMO. I am finding it really hard to force myself to load such a small amount in a portable, I always seem to load a little too much. MFLB size loads work great but it has been a while since I used one of those. I usually like to take breaks between puffs, so the FF is ideal in this regard since it is not cooking the load unless you press the button.

@Meghan - I had an original Pinnacle (that I really enjoyed) and you can't compare the battery life to the FF. The FF is a battery hog for sure but when you see the performance you know why. The FF is also a lot like the MFLB in that regard (I was always swapping batteries), at least IMO.

The battery life is less of a concern if the FF charges quickly and has a swappable battery, for sure. And the performance is what is drawing me to this guy...that and the fact that it's manual control, like the Lotus, and won't cook my material between hits! (It also looks more efficient than the PNP).

Meghan,
Reactions: denalus

mitchgo61

Yes, I'd say battery life is my only gripe right now as well. At least it charges really fast though.

It really does. I usually try to catch it before a full recharge, and have had trouble doing it because in 25 or 30 minutes it's fully charged.

I have gotten 3 sessions out of a charge. It all depends on how you lean on the button.

The battery life isn't great, but I haven't found it much of an impediment. I can easily thoroughly cook a full load, in excess of 20 hits, before it dies. Seems reasonable to me, especially since you can swap the thing.

I agree. I like to press the button for at least 10-15 seconds before the first puff. Once it gets warmed up, that is not really necessary IMO.

Yes and apparently it's a bad idea to do it once the unit is warmed up. The FF folks told me this can cause a "hot hit" by starting the heat cycle again. So once it's warmed, from like hit two onward, it's safer to hold for a four second or so precount and then draw rather than hold, release, re-press. (As I mentioned above, my personal rule is not to press the heat button a second time once I release it.)

All I can say is wow. I think I just found my new favourite portable.

Glad you are enjoying it! It really is a great unit. I'm loving it more each time I use it.

Last edited:
You should re-read this thread from page 9 or so and you'll get a lot of good tips. My approach: fill the bowl with medium grind material, and compact it lightly. This'll minimize material coming out of the bowl. Turn on the toggle switch. Hold down the heat button for a precount of 4-8 seconds. begin drawing, slowly and steadily. Let off the button halfway through your hit. Don't re-press the heat button after you release it (once I release the button I will not press it again until my next hit). This first hit will be light...your second hit will be stronger. Keep your hits slow and steady and you won't suck material out of the bowl.

Give it a few tries...it might take you awhile to get a technique going. The FF is an excellent unit...once you find your rhythm with it you'll get great results.

Thanks a bunch man, experimentation helped a lot. This FireFly is really blowing my mind too.

fizzy1000

I thought I would share my initial impressions of the FF after using it for a few days. I've been using and experimenting with various herbal delivery devices for around 40 years or so, and have tried more than a few vaporizers.
I really like the feel and weight of the FF, very substantial and comfortable feeling while holding. Loading and stirring are easy enough, as others have stated a medium grind seems to work well for me. The initial few hits deliver the best tasting vapor I have ever had the pleasure of experiencing from any device I have used to date.
After 3 or 4 draws I stir and re-pack, at this point I have found the FF wiil combust if I hold the button down, release and then hold it down again too soon. Not a major combustion of the whole bowl, but small pieces will ignite. I can't really taste the burnt flavor much, but the evidence is in the remains. I can also detect small burnt spots under the screen. This has happened 3 or 4 times out of a dozen sessions or so.
So what I have found what works best for me is to use the FF for 5 or 6 great tasting draws, then use the remains in my Solo at a higher setting to finish off the herb without the minor combustion worries.
I have been getting 3 or 4 sessions per battery cycle and the re-charge takes a little less than an hour or so.
The FF to me is a welcome addition to my collection and will be my vape of choice for that initial bowl, the taste is absolutely wonderful on those first few pulls.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom