Discontinued The Firefly Vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Necrosan

Just ran another 2 bowls through it _without_ the top screen and had no issues.

Not 100% sure here, but here is my theory with the combusting:

By design it looks like with a full bowl + the lid on even if packed down the herbs will "expand" (move up) and not be packed as tight near the element due to the extra air space added by the top lid.

My thoughts are that with the screen in place + a full bowl, there is no room for the materials to move around because of the pressure from the lid being placed on top of the screen and this combined with the preheating is cause for issue.

Not sure if this is messing with the temperature sensor or if the packed herb density itself is the issue or what exactly is going on.

Have any of you had issues with combustion _without_ using the top screen?

Last edited by a moderator:
Necrosan,

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
Just ran another 2 bowls through it _without_ the top screen and had no issues....Have any of you had issues with combustion _without_ using the top screen?

Yes. Most of my issues occurred without the top screen, but after i'd used it once. I had it happen with a brand new bowl, and one that was more vaped/dry. This was why i wasn't convinced the screen caused a problem, but someone posited that maybe the first use of the top screen threw the heat sensor out of whack. The FF folks didn't seem to think it was likely, but then, it's hard to know what is up with a unit that may be malfunctioning.

mitchgo61,

Necrosan

Yes. Most of my issues occurred without the top screen, but after i'd used it once. I had it happen with a brand new bowl, and one that was more vaped/dry. This was why i wasn't convinced the screen caused a problem, but someone posited that maybe the first use of the top screen threw the heat sensor out of whack. The FF folks didn't seem to think it was likely, but then, it's hard to know what is up with a unit that may be malfunctioning.

Got me stumped then. Hope it's not just a bum unit.

Necrosan,

grokit

well-worn member
Most of my issues occurred without the top screen, but after i'd used it once.

This seems to be what happened with the other combusting unit. Hopefully this issue will get sorted out, but I'm going to try and stay away from screens with mine anyways. Not just out of caution, but also because part of what attracts me to this vaporizer is no accessories required. I hate messing with small parts with portables, it's very inconvenient when out and about and if I can avoid using a screen I will.

Last edited:
grokit,
Reactions: darkrom

natural farmer

Does the hole pattern in the FF bowl include a central one?
As was the case with the first version of the Lotus as well as the Thermovape T1, that central hole in the pattern could be a cause of hot spots and possible combustion!

VaPeD&CoNfUsEd

JoDa Glassworks
Glass Blower
I think it's the unit. The early adopter game is a dangerous game. I've tried to force mine to combust with and without a screen in multiple strains to no avail. I've already done 15+ sessions with my firefly in the day I've had it. Would've been more if not for having to charge every couple times.

Yes there is a centrally located hole.

VaPeD&CoNfUsEd,

Necrosan

Does the hole pattern in the FF bowl include a central one?
As was the case with the first version of the Lotus as well as the Thermovape T1, that central hole in the pattern could be a cause of hot spots and possible combustion!

Yes, there is a hole in the center.

Necrosan,

Necrosan

Have you noticed any hot spot in the centre when damping a load?

When I stir the bowl mid way through it seems that the very center takes the majority of the heat/air. The outsides remain a lighter green than the inside. Could only really accurately gauge this with the upper screen in (because your herb moves around quite a bit without it in place) and going off of what I noticed prior to the combustion.

Necrosan,

VaPeD&CoNfUsEd

JoDa Glassworks
Glass Blower
When I stir the bowl mid way through it seems that the very center takes the majority of the heat/air. The outsides remain a lighter green than the inside. Could only really accurately gauge this with the upper screen in (because your herb moves around quite a bit without it in place) and going off of what I noticed prior to the combustion.
I'm am finding about the same results in this respect. I like how everything flutters around as you hit it though. Kind of a "self stirring" if you will. I am now loading about .02-.04 at a time and getting 5-6 good rips and that's all I need. It's a pretty great portable and it's definitely convection unlike all of the past battery portables that have made that claim.

VaPeD&CoNfUsEd

JoDa Glassworks
Glass Blower
The only thing I find by loading more is that the first couple hits are tastier and thicker. Beyond that it's just a few more wispier hits towards the end of the session. So to me the difference isn't substantial enough to merit using 2-3 times the amount of herb that I'm now currently using.

Now that I've got my tech pretty much down I took another run at my blue cheese (always has been my favorite strain and always will be no matter how old school it is there's always at least 1 in my garden every run). Anyways, I will say that this thing is most definitely capable of the "couch lock" end of the spectrum. This vape really seams to bring out the most in a strain. If it's sativa dom ur gonna feel it in the head. If it's indica dom ur gonna get that body high.

natural farmer

I wish they remove that central hole at some point... They should check the Cera's hole pattern. It seems to do a very even cooking if I remember well!

natural farmer,

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are

With FF#2 i've tried to follow a consistent approach, one that's similar to how i vape in other units. I fill the bowl (maybe .2ish g) with medium grind material. After a few hits i stir, in the process doing a bit of manual grinding, and re-compact slightly. I find a loose pack in this vape is super-messy right from the first hit, so i like to keep tamping down the load as i go. this has minimized the need for a second screen and given me an even cook. (I personally haven't seen hotspots per se...I did see them in FF#1 when it combusted a few times, usually in the center and bottom of the load....one of the things that made me think the top screen wasn't the culprit.) I don't find, so far, any issues with results based on a more dense load.
The whole session is an iterative process of draw, draw, draw, stir, grind a little, re-tamp a little, repeat. For me a successful session is being left with a tiny amount of very dark powder, rather than any significant amount of usable material. Call me compulsive. :) With practice i am getting closer to being able to achieve this fully-baked approach with the FF. I'm not completely there yet, and given the temp range, it may not be possible to reduce the material as thoroughly as i can with the Solo or V Tower. (Worst part is the last 1/4 of the session can get messy due to the ever-finer grind that results.)

I do think Necro's issue sounds identical to mine with FF#1, and i'm positive mine was some kind of malfunction. A properly functioning unit doesn't lose control of its heat so easily and arbitrarily.

toros23

On my second load and am really liking the performance of this vape so far. Kind of reminds me of an MFLB on steroids. No doubt this is pure convection and like others have said, a very quality feeling device.

The first thing that stands out to me is how easy the vapor is on the throat. I almost always use water filtration and portables are typically very rough on my throat when I do not use glass. So far so good with this guy, much smoother than I was expecting. So smooth it is sort of hard to tell if I am getting vapor at times. The taste is very clean and I have not had any problems getting large clouds. I seem to be missing some of the flavor I get with my log vapes on the first pull, but probably just an issue with technique. The battery life seems to be the only issue so far, could only get through two bowls with the first full charge. I took Vape Critic's advice and preheated for ~10 seconds each time. Like V&C states, the extraction is very even, no hot spots and can't see it being an issue unless the airflow is restricted in the bowl or unless the device is malfunctioning. I haven't been able to get really dark ABV yet because I ran out of battery on my second load. There is definitely a technique involved but so far it seems like there is enough heat to allow for a long/fast pull without a falloff in vapor production.

More testing is definitely needed, will report back if I experience any combustion or other issues. Keep in mind these are first impressions, but so far it is exactly what I was hoping for when I placed the order - which was basically a portable convection vape for around the house. I don't see it replacing my XP's when I hit the road.

VaPeD&CoNfUsEd

JoDa Glassworks
Glass Blower
Well I'm super bummed the hell out! After finally finding what I believe to be the right portable for me, it looks like I'll have to let it go. The alternator in my wife's van just went out after I broke myself on Christmas and a new vape! And this isn't your old school small block Chevy 40 dollar alt, it's a damned 239 dollar high output alt! Smh. Lol. I love the FF!

VaPeD&CoNfUsEd,
Reactions: steama

VaPeD&CoNfUsEd

JoDa Glassworks
Glass Blower
Haha! It's a Chevy venture with the warner bros package! That's why it has the high output alt. and no it's not on top it's way down low and packed in deep. I've done 10-20 of them though. The price of the alt is 239. I do my own labor.

VaPeD&CoNfUsEd,
Reactions: al bundy
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom