The Firefly 2 vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ratklaw

Hi, is there a separate thread for the FF2+ ? If not, has the upgrade really improved airflow? I'm a FF2 owner, thanks

I sent my Firefly 2 in for an upgrade to FF2+ parts and finally got around to trying it tonight. I'm very happy with the improved airflow and how it hits now. They even gave me a new lid. It's definitely worth upgrading imo.

Ratklaw

Yikes, the second time I tried to use the upgraded Firefly the device is completely unresponsive off of the charger. Tried multiple batteries and nothing. Can connect with the app only when it's on the charger and batteries don't seem to be charging. Anyone else have this issue? I guess I'll be calling support...so much for my renewed enthusiasm about this device.

someTooL

So...what’s the proper technique for removing the mouthpiece? Thought I was doing it right, but snapped a holding clip on mine last night. Still seems to work but eventually going to have to order a replacement. I’m really enjoying the FF and have no complaints with the functionality, but the mouthpiece design would definitely get voted off the Island first. Any aftermarket mouthpieces available anywhere that I should consider?

someTooL,

LabPong

So...what’s the proper technique for removing the mouthpiece? Thought I was doing it right, but snapped a holding clip on mine last night. Still seems to work but eventually going to have to order a replacement. I’m really enjoying the FF and have no complaints with the functionality, but the mouthpiece design would definitely get voted off the Island first. Any aftermarket mouthpieces available anywhere that I should consider?

I believe it stated in the manual that came with it....to sort of pivot it out from one side that is connected and pull out on an a side angle.

LabPong,
Reactions: ElPic

someTooL

Thanks! I think I got over zealous on pushing on one side. Ordering a couple new mp’s to try again.

someTooL,

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
I believe it stated in the manual that came with it....to sort of pivot it out from one side that is connected and pull out on an a side angle.
Yeah....kinda jiggle it back and forth with thumb and forefinger while firmly holding the body with the other hand. Requires some force, but not too much....

LegalAlien

Thanks! I think I got over zealous on pushing on one side. Ordering a couple new mp’s to try again.
I lost that little screen on mine so I am going to send soon for new mouthpieces. The screen is kind of a pain because it seems to me that it is the major blockage when I smoke flower. I have to keep taking it out and cleaning it and it's tiny. I haven't done it yet because actually it works a lot better without the screen. If I smoke my flower in fairly large pieces and don't let it get too crumbly I don't get pieces in my mouth.

LegalAlien,
Reactions: someTooL

Ratklaw

Yikes, the second time I tried to use the upgraded Firefly the device is completely unresponsive off of the charger. Tried multiple batteries and nothing. Can connect with the app only when it's on the charger and batteries don't seem to be charging. Anyone else have this issue? I guess I'll be calling support...so much for my renewed enthusiasm about this device.

They're pretty good with customer service. I went through a few units.

An update: Firefly turned around my malfunctioning device very quickly...within a few days. I had just done the service upgrade to the 2+ and they repaired the internals for free even though it was out of warranty. They even paid for shipping. Very impressed with the customer service. Looking forward to giving it a spin again.

Pistol Pete

I just got off the phone with Firefly. Heard about the upgrade from watching Wavy vaporizers review. I think for $32, I really have nothing to lose. The vaporizer has been in the box for over a year now.

LegalAlien

I just got off the phone with Firefly. Heard about the upgrade from watching Wavy vaporizers review. I think for $32, I really have nothing to lose. The vaporizer has been in the box for over a year now.
I've been debating with myself about sending my FF2 in for the upgrade. FF sent me a new battery as one of the one's I received with the vape (which I bought on eBay new) was bad. I have the latest firmware upgrade. I lost the little screen in the mouthpiece but if I use the vape in the right way I don't get much dry herb in my mouth if any; and it draws much better although still kind of hard. I clean the screen with alcohol pads once in a while. It's working pretty well although my lung muscles (for lack of a better term) seem to ache a little bit sometimes from drawing so hard for so long. I think you just convinced me to go for the upgrade. Actually, I've been enjoying it quite a bit and don't want to do without it while they fix it. I have found the customer service at Firefly to be pretty good so far. It's the only electronic vape that I own.

Pistol Pete

That is a tough decision with only having one vape. You said electronic though, so maybe you have a Dynavap or some other butane vape. I talked with them on the 20th, got around to shipping it on the 25th. They recieved it on the 29th. Shipping was almost $11.00, with sign confirm. Now I wait, they say 10 to 14 days to process the return. Then I will give them a day to repair and 4 days back to me. No rush but I'm kind of excited, it's hopefully like getting a new vape. :clap:

Pistol Pete,
Reactions: ElPic

ElPic

Take my money
That is a tough decision with only having one vape. You said electronic though, so maybe you have a Dynavap or some other butane vape. I talked with them on the 20th, got around to shipping it on the 25th. They recieved it on the 29th. Shipping was almost $11.00, with sign confirm. Now I wait, they say 10 to 14 days to process the return. Then I will give them a day to repair and 4 days back to me. No rush but I'm kind of excited, it's hopefully like getting a new vape. :clap:
Got mine upgrade a month ago, and just for the airflow it totally worth it imo. And I receive the same email as you (10 to 14 days to process), but it only take 5 days after they receive it to come back home, and with a new mouth piece and battery.

When the OG FF came out, I remember using the iolite mesh screen in my unit for better performance and easier maintenance, but I never thought of trying it in the FF2 since then...
I give it a try yesterday and It also fit perfectly in the bowl of the FF2 and I don’t know why, but it remove the need of stirring the bowl, I can do a full session without opening the lid and my load is evenly roast!
The downside is that it does not stay in place when you empty the load, and after a session the screen is real hot, so you can’t drop it in your hand, but a good blow in the bowl do the job. It reduce a bit the size of the bowl too, but being a microdoser, it’s a good thing for me.
I don’t know if these iolite mesh screen are still available today, but for those who still own some from back in the days...really think it worth a try.
E0-A2-ABBB-0928-4707-BDA4-E90409775-D53.jpg

6-F2-AF90-C-0-DC7-40-B3-AB3-A-2-E811-DEF3394.jpg

BEB6200-D-A6-A5-491-F-B163-D48057435-B04.jpg

Last edited:

LegalAlien

Guess you got lucky with the mouthpiece. They just told me that the upgrade wouldn't include a new one. That was one of my main reasons for doing the upgrade, but I can buy them (I think a two pack) from them. I think they would have the screens in them. I appreciated them telling me that to make up my mind.

LegalAlien,

NYC_Frank

"A man with no vices is a man with no virtues"
So how do we use the device now that the App is not in the App Store?

You need to go the manual route:

https://www.thefirefly.com/media/FF2Plus-UserManual-V4.pdf

Heating Control: From Device•Press and hold the right button.•Tap the left button 3 times quickly, just like checking the temperature (while still holding the right button).•This puts the Firefly 2+ into “temperature setting” mode.•The LED blinks red 1 to 7 times, to indicate what the current set temperature is.•Tap the left button again (while still holding the right button) now sets the temperature to:IMPORTANT: Concentrates setting will cause combustion if used with loose leaf material!

1 320
2 340
3 360
4 380
5 400
6 420
7 500 (Concentrates)

NYC_Frank,
Reactions: Jill NYC

Lholding26

You need to go the manual route:

https://www.thefirefly.com/media/FF2Plus-UserManual-V4.pdf

Heating Control: From Device•Press and hold the right button.•Tap the left button 3 times quickly, just like checking the temperature (while still holding the right button).•This puts the Firefly 2+ into “temperature setting” mode.•The LED blinks red 1 to 7 times, to indicate what the current set temperature is.•Tap the left button again (while still holding the right button) now sets the temperature to:IMPORTANT: Concentrates setting will cause combustion if used with loose leaf material!

1 320
2 340
3 360
4 380
5 400
6 420
7 500 (Concentrates)

I appreciate your response my friend but I have the original firefly two. :(

Are they still doing a trade in program? thAnks

Lholding26,

Relaxed

This Space For Rent
I'm sure the question has been answered in here, but for those of you who have had the original Firefly and have also upgraded to the 2+, how much better is it? My original still works fine, except for the battery. It has a dead spot at about 75% that forces me to recharge after every use. I see that Firefly has a 30% off sale now, so if I upgrade now is the time.

Relaxed,

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
I'm sure the question has been answered in here, but for those of you who have had the original Firefly and have also upgraded to the 2+, how much better is it? My original still works fine, except for the battery. It has a dead spot at about 75% that forces me to recharge after every use. I see that Firefly has a 30% off sale now, so if I upgrade now is the time.
If you mean the original FF1 vs the newest FF2+ I'd say the 2+ is a large upgrade operationally. It's easier to use, has temp control, and better battery life. The original FF is more sleek and elegant, and I think the vapor flavor is better on the FF1 (due to the steel plate vs. the glass used in the 2) but overall the 2+ is a large improvement. :2c:

dodgy_b

Hey. I have a 3+ year old FF2 that I was going to break out of retirement as I now have access to concentrates. Tried searching but can't find these basic answers as I'm brand new to concentrates.

- how much do I load on the pad to avoid it seeping through to the oven screen?

- should I try a spectrum of temps or go straight to 500?

- how long do the pads last? Should they be soaked in iso to clean or just use them till....?

- any other tips/tricks/tools? Sandwich with flower or I keep reading about a ceramic screen? Not sure where to get that.

Thanks. Much appreciated.

dodgy_b,

kalel

Hi, I've been in the market for a vaporizer.

After reading an extensive article on a well known vaporizer website about the safety of vaporizers, one of the big takeaways that was mentioned was making sure you get one with the right heating element material as if you get the wrong one, when that heats up or breaks down over time you will breath in fumes along with your dry herb. ( not to be confused with the chamber which gets hot or has heat pass through it ) I am speaking about the actual wire COIL that must get hot beneath or around the chamber.

A few materials were said to be no nos. The biggest one was...

Aluminium

Now the guys behind firefly 2 said they were aware of this and had even run into getting reaction in their mouth from using the wrong heating element in their testing of creating firefly so they ended up with something else that they won't mention. Question is.... why wont they mention it? Sure it may be because they dont want competitors using it but hows that any different than saying they use borosilicate glass. Shouldn't safety be the priority?

So after figuring out i wanted to get the firefly 2 as the bowl is made from borosilicate glass, i started looking at videos on youtube that shows what was INSIDE the firefly for the heating element.

From what I could tell, its just a WIRE COIL that is set inside a ceramic area, then above that is more ceramic with holes in it to let the flow of heat and air up into the BOWL

There is also some metal (no idea what that is )
And rubber seals. ( im sure they would break down with heat nearby)

If anything is wrong with that heating element over time ( breaks down etc), the metal with the holes in it, or the rubber you are going to end up breathing in those fumes from whatever that wire is made of, as overtime elements can lead to a break down.

Everything else inside the unit seems decent. Glass pathway, and its not conduction.

So my question is, does anyone know what that WIRE COIL that heats up is made from?
And do you think concerns over the breakdown of rubber seals, and metal is valid?

The only information i can find is this

"heating element of the firefly 2 is made of a food safe super-alloy which does not break down over repeated heating cycles"

Why not just say what that super-alloy is?

Last edited by a moderator:
kalel,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom