The Firefly 2 vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bassman999

I've only used the default concentrate setting.
Killer results.

Wish there was a way for Firefly to update the internals of the FF1.
I am love, love, loving the FF2, a great upgrade, but I too, am nearly nostalgic for the look and feel of the FF1. What a body!
I'll always have my eye out for a solid used one.
Yeah I heard reviews saying the FF1 was too big and not as pretty, but I think (from internet pics and vids) that it looks great!

I m trying to talk my family into letting me try the FF2 today and get my Bday present early.
I think Ill be better prepared than most as they have a learning curve, whereas I have seen all the videos to use it right.

Ill buy a used or new FF1 also eventually.

Excited!

NYC_Frank

"A man with no vices is a man with no virtues"
I've only used the default concentrate setting.
Killer results.

Wish there was a way for Firefly to update the internals of the FF1.
I am love, love, loving the FF2, a great upgrade, but I too, am nearly nostalgic for the look and feel of the FF1. What a body!
I'll always have my eye out for a solid used one.
Yep ....gotta have that Ferrari red FF1 to keep my FF2 company ...

sixstringsmash

So I just noticed today that the silicone ring on the top of my FF2 lid is starting to lose some of its adhesion and is starting to slip off of the lid of the unit. My only guess is that the adhesive that was originally used to keep the silicone ring attached to the lid must be wearing down over time after just so many ISO wipes. Has anyone encountered this yet and if so have you found any home fixes that might remedy this situation so I wont have to shell out $40 for another lid.

sixstringsmash,

Bassman999

So I just noticed today that the silicone ring on the top of my FF2 lid is starting to lose some of its adhesion and is starting to slip off of the lid of the unit. My only guess is that the adhesive that was originally used to keep the silicone ring attached to the lid must be wearing down over time after just so many ISO wipes. Has anyone encountered this yet and if so have you found any home fixes that might remedy this situation so I wont have to shell out $40 for another lid.
Is the silicone seal deteriorating or just losing adhesion?
http://www.masterbond.com/properties/food-safe-adhesives-sealants-coatings-encapsulation-compounds

Bassman999,

sixstringsmash

Definitely just losing adhesion...There don't seem to be any prices on that site but I know a bit about food grade epoxy and any epoxy decent enough to fix my lid is probably going to cost almost as much as it would to replace it in the first place. If it costs $30 to get a little tube of epoxy to fix a lid that costs $40 I'll probably just get the new lid instead. I was looking at maybe a more cost effective solution if possible.

Last edited:
sixstringsmash,
Reactions: Bassman999

Bassman999

There don't seem to be any prices on that site but I know a bit about food grade epoxy and any epoxy decent enough to fix my lid is probably going to cost almost as much as it would to replace it in the first place. I was looking at maybe a more cost effective solution if possible.
Im not sure on prices, when I made some bongs I used regular epoxy from HD and it works fine, but maybe more heat in this location. I personally would likely use the generic epoxy that says good for those materials for $6 at HD.

Have you asked FF support? They would require shipping both ways likely and that could be costly also.

Good luck with finding a resolution!

Edit**

https://www.amazon.com/Clear-Food-G...TF8&qid=1489348218&sr=8-1&keywords=EP42HT-2FG

Last edited:
Bassman999,

sixstringsmash

Im not sure on prices, when I made some bongs I used regular epoxy from HD and it works fine, but maybe more heat in this location. I personally would likely use the generic epoxy that says good for those materials for $6 at HD.

Have you asked FF support? They would require shipping both ways likely and that could be costly also.

Good luck with finding a resolution!
Sorry but I need to take a hard line with this post right here. If you're using epoxy and the glue is going to be located anywhere in the vapor path DO NOT use regular epoxy. You can be doing some major damage to your body right there. HXTAL epoxy or something similar is the epoxy that should be used if it is going to be anywhere in the vapor path and that's a pricey epoxy.

Last edited:

Bassman999

Sorry but I need to take a hard line with this post right here. If you're using epoxy and the glue is going to be located anywhere in the vapor path DO NOT use regular epoxy. You can be doing some major damage to your body right there. HXTAL epoxy is the epoxy that should be used if it is going to be anywhere in the vapor path and that's a pricey epoxy.
Yeah I dont use those bongs anymore and buy my bongs now.
Thanks for the info.

Bassman999,

Bassman999

M ff2 is brand new and I already hate the battery life.
Not even 2 bowls on a full charge.
Maybe 1/2 way through second bowl and the dreaded blinking red led.
Very disappointing!!
They should at least make a charger that plugs in so if you are stuck by an outlet to use it you can at least charge while you vape.

It went from blinking red and not heating and the app showing empty to the app saying fully charged and the vape doing 3 blinks in 10 minutes of charging from a generic built in usb outlet in a wall receptacle.
I dont know if unit or batteries are bad, but not getting a full charge it seems. I tried both batteries.
I cant even get high once before battery dies lol.
First charge took well over an hour though.

Bassman999,

yogoshio

Annoying Libertarian
@Bassman999 I normally get 3 bowls at least per battery. That seems incredibly short from my experience.

What does your bud look like when done? Mine is evenly dark, dark brown normally, and after three hits I'm up there.

Grind style, pack size, etc. All of these drastically affect the battery life as well as how much extraction you'll get.

Bassman999

@Bassman999 I normally get 3 bowls at least per battery. That seems incredibly short from my experience.

What does your bud look like when done? Mine is evenly dark, dark brown normally, and after three hits I'm up there.

Grind style, pack size, etc. All of these drastically affect the battery life as well as how much extraction you'll get.
Thanks for the reply yogoshio!
My bud doesnt look very dark at all. This is my first convection vape. I have only used a pax 1 before and it singed my buds on medium.

I am using a coarse grind lightly packed, and vape till no more vape on high. I start on medium heat and do a couple pulls on each setting till it stops making vapor.

This is definitely not like smoking or the Pax lol.
I feel more dizzy from the long pulls that actually high.

Ill open up my jar of SLH thats already cured in lieu of this fresh herb and see it that makes for better sessions

Bassman999,

yogoshio

Annoying Libertarian
Slightly overpack, let the lid push it down. Try a finer grind as well. Those two combined and that's how I get my results. I get clouds rivaling my Pax when I do that. Then a stir after a couple of hits.

I also have my settings on high with power at 111%

Bassman999

Slightly overpack, let the lid push it down. Try a finer grind as well. Those two combined and that's how I get my results. I get clouds rivaling my Pax when I do that. Then a stir after a couple of hits.

I also have my settings on high with power at 111%
I will try medium grind with the 111% next bowl. I do feel I am taking 2x the hits I need because I see no noticeable vapor half the time.
I have heard that some buds produce more vapor than others, but Ill try more strains and see for myself.

Do you do long slow pulls or medium and medium duration pulls?

I can see the illumination of the heater dimming with my draws and slow down when I see that thinking I am cooling it off too much.

Bassman999,

sixstringsmash

I will try medium grind with the 111% next bowl. I do feel I am taking 2x the hits I need because I see no noticeable vapor half the time.
I have heard that some buds produce more vapor than others, but Ill try more strains and see for myself.

Do you do long slow pulls or medium and medium duration pulls?

I can see the illumination of the heater dimming with my draws and slow down when I see that thinking I am cooling it off too much.
Long slow pulls. My hits with the firefly usually take between 20-30 seconds.

sixstringsmash,
Reactions: Bassman999

Bassman999

Long slow pulls. My hits with the firefly usually take between 20-30 seconds.
Thanks!
I wonder it that makes the lungs stronger compared to short hard pulls?

Right now I have a cold and throat is very sensitive.
I tried to smoke a joint and put it out almost as soon as I lit it, and vaping is much more tolerable.

Last edited:
Bassman999,

yogoshio

Annoying Libertarian
Definitely the FF2 is the easiest on the lungs for a cold. It's soooo smooth. Def. smoother than my Evo.

My pulls last about 15-20 seconds and my cloud production is awesome. I do a few cigar puffs after I've let it heat up for about 10 seconds, then let go of the power switch and immediately turn it back on, then draw. Generally after about 7-8 seconds I can start feeling it, and it just keeps coming.

Also, it should feel pretty hard to pull. When I take a "normal" breath, it feels about 65% restricted, and that's exactly how I know the seal is right and I'll get a good hit. A LOT of errors with this thing come from the lid not being sealed quite right. If it's easy to inhale, it's not gonna hit well, if at all.

Bassman999

Definitely the FF2 is the easiest on the lungs for a cold. It's soooo smooth. Def. smoother than my Evo.

My pulls last about 15-20 seconds and my cloud production is awesome. I do a few cigar puffs after I've let it heat up for about 10 seconds, then let go of the power switch and immediately turn it back on, then draw. Generally after about 7-8 seconds I can start feeling it, and it just keeps coming.

Also, it should feel pretty hard to pull. When I take a "normal" breath, it feels about 65% restricted, and that's exactly how I know the seal is right and I'll get a good hit. A LOT of errors with this thing come from the lid not being sealed quite right. If it's easy to inhale, it's not gonna hit well, if at all.
Thats a very informative explanation!
You are using high setting?

I thought difference in air flow was based on the how packed bowl was

Bassman999,

yogoshio

Annoying Libertarian
There is a bit of difference in bowl packing, but very minimal. The biggest difference I've ever noticed was if the seal was off, even the tiniest bit, there's basically no performance.

yeah, I use the high setting and still get fantastic flavor.

Next time you try it, inhale like normal for a second or two, then press down on the lid on the end with your finger and use your upper lip to push down towards the front and see if that makes a difference in air flow. If it does, your lid's just not been seating properly. It can be pretty finicky sometimes.

Bassman999

There is a bit of difference in bowl packing, but very minimal. The biggest difference I've ever noticed was if the seal was off, even the tiniest bit, there's basically no performance.

yeah, I use the high setting and still get fantastic flavor.

Next time you try it, inhale like normal for a second or two, then press down on the lid on the end with your finger and use your upper lip to push down towards the front and see if that makes a difference in air flow. If it does, your lid's just not been seating properly. It can be pretty finicky sometimes.
Ok Ill try that.

Yeah I got vapor sometimes on med or lower, and sometimes no vapor on high.
I just thought the bud was used up already.

Im not super experienced with vapes, just the pax and that was a few years ago, and its not like this at all.
It had 2 good hits then burned popcorn for the rest of bowl, esp if you dont finish in one session.

EDIT

Tried your method and got way better vapor!

Durban Poison

The FF2 is by far superior to the PAX 1 / 2 or 3 with regards to Vape quality - for the rest the PAX comes first.
My Pax dropped a few times from a few meters to hard ground - no problem. The FF@ would break in pieces. Also handling the PAX is easier than the FF2.
Problem I have with my FF2:
* when fully charged there is no blue light
* the info on the app re battery levels does not correspond to the info you get from the FF2
* when the grind is too small it will end up in your mouth
...but then again, the quality of vape you get makes up for this

Jen

The FF2 is by far superior to the PAX 1 / 2 or 3 with regards to Vape quality - for the rest the PAX comes first.
My Pax dropped a few times from a few meters to hard ground - no problem. The FF@ would break in pieces. Also handling the PAX is easier than the FF2.
* the info on the app re battery levels does not correspond to the info you get from the FF2
I pretty much agree with everything said here. I have the Pax 2 and the FF2. Pax hasn't seen much use at all; when you get all variables right with the FF it's amazing.

Baron23

Ok Ill try that.

Yeah I got vapor sometimes on med or lower, and sometimes no vapor on high.
I just thought the bud was used up already.

Im not super experienced with vapes, just the pax and that was a few years ago, and its not like this at all.
It had 2 good hits then burned popcorn for the rest of bowl, esp if you dont finish in one session.

EDIT

Tried your method and got way better vapor!
Is you bud dried out at all. I mean this in a good way. Very moist herb will not vape well as you work first to drive the moisture out of the plant matrix.

I only mention this as you say you are not an experienced vaporist. If nothing else, take a bud, wrap it in some plain printer paper (just fold it over a bit) and let it sit out to dry like that for a day or so. Then try it.

Baron23,
Reactions: yogoshio

Bassman999

My FF2 (brand new) will show 75% on app and after 3 hits blink red and not function, then app shows dead.
App needs some help IMO
I just put it on the charger often now, because wanting a session and no battery is irritating.
Also it seems to lose battery overnight for some reason.
My pax makes more vapor, but its not very enjoyable vapor.
Pax Battery isnt replaceable and it is not holding original charge quality anymore, even though sill superior to FF2 after 2+ years

So my main gripe is with the battery of the FF2, how can the battery size be so large and not last long, and since the battery is not that great why cant we charge while using it?
FF2 is much easier to clean than Pax, and that is great!
FF2 doesnt work outside well in the wind if its not warm.
I wrap my hand around the vents with a slight gap to help it heat and stay warm in those conditions, but awkward to do so.

Bassman999,
Reactions: mitchgo61

Jen

My FF2 (brand new) will show 75% on app and after 3 hits blink red and not function, then app shows dead.
App needs some help IMO
I just put it on the charger often now, because wanting a session and no battery is irritating.
Also it seems to lose battery overnight for some reason.
My pax makes more vapor, but its not very enjoyable vapor.
Pax Battery isnt replaceable and it is not holding original charge quality anymore, even though sill superior to FF2 after 2+ years

So my main gripe is with the battery of the FF2, how can the battery size be so large and not last long, and since the battery is not that great why cant we charge while using it?
FF2 is much easier to clean than Pax, and that is great!
FF2 doesnt work outside well in the wind if its not warm.
I wrap my hand around the vents with a slight gap to help it heat and stay warm in those conditions, but awkward to do so.
I've read somewhere that if you actually take the battery out and put it back in (reseat it) that sometimes takes care of these exact issues. Worth a try. I haven't had these problems myself, thankfully. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom