The Firefly 2 vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
At times I have also noticed an unpleasant chemical smell/taste from the FF2. I have been in touch with the company about it...

Have you been able to isolate it, i.e. is it coming from the lid, or the device itself?

you are putting us all in the butt hurt radius

Butt Hurt Radius. My old college hardcore band! :lol::lol:

mmafighterthe25

I'm getting my ff2 sat or Monday being shipped locally from one head shop to a local one by me. Can't wait try this beast

mmafighterthe25,

Morimoto

@Vigor Heya! what I mean by odor/smell is the packaging contains a foam insert that the FF2 rests in, SO what happens is the FF2 somehow gets that hard-foam smell clinging to it for the first few days. The odor/smell is 100% gone from my FF2 now after 3 months of use it smells like beautiful honey oil :) when I don't have weed like right now, I crack open the FF2 and take a deep whiff of the bowl/glass and mmmmm I feel better just smelling it! (pavlov's dog/conditioned response)

I just pulled the box off the shelf and opened it and boom, that weird odor is still in the foam/box. About a month after I got my FF2 I did the same thing and that really set my mind at ease, I was/am positive the smell was just clinging from the hard foam.

I suppose I was saying that if your subconsciously doubting the purchase already then the smell of the hard foam clinging to the unit for a few days will likely cause frustration because you might think "fuck it does smell... dammit! they all lied!"

For the record I am totally enamored with my blue ff2! they'll have to pry it from my cold dead hands along with my Lotus!

jabba

Personally attacking someone over an inanimate object because you can't come up with an effective or interesting argument, is literally the definition of being butt hurt. Don worry dawg, your GH is all good.

I find it UTTERLY BIZZARE anyone on a vaporizing discussion board could say the smell of cannabis is the smell of cannabis. Really? You literally implied smoking it is the same thing as vaporizing it. Sorry, but like I said, I think that is insane and completely wrong. Like objectively wrong. Dismissing the idea of odor control, and claiming it's all the same is again, wrong. I would imagine anyone with even the most basic of experience with vaporizing would virgoursly disagree with such a claim.

If you want to ignore the point of the discussion and attack someone to win some imaginary ego points, at least do it well. Will probably save you some pain. And, again you are trying to make it personal. No, if I was upset at disclosing that I like to vape in empty theaters on an anonymous forum I wouldn't do it, OBVIOUSLY. Again, BIZZARE assertion, that makes no sense at all. But continue to make it personal and ignore THE POINT. Wait I don't get it, first it was that I am obvious to you, now its that I am creepy? LMAO! Its a good thing you aren't just saying things to be argumentative.

But I do get a tinsy bit annoyed when people make things personal when they can't come up with an argument, and especially when most of what they say is objectively wrong. Sorry, odor control is real, it exists, and it matters. Saying otherwise and your analogy, is what is embarrassing.

I'm having a great day. Thanks!

You have epitomized being "butt hurt" and you have failed to understand what I had typed. If it doesn't make sense...read it again. If it still doesn't make sense...I'm sorry that I will not help you. You sir...have taken a mole hill....turned it into a mountain....and you certainly have taken my random post quite personally. Get some sleep man!...good gawd!

jdent3

Just wanted to update about my warranty issue if anyone is interested. One of my batteries won't even heat my firefly up for one hit before it dies. I emailed Firefly about it 6 days ago and they replied today saying there was no need to send the batery in and they would ship out a replacement. The customer service might be a little bit slow but my experience has been excellent.

Vigor

If you want great flavor and are on the fence about the ff2, you can always get a Crafty or Mighty...

Thanks for the recommendation, but I hear there are battery/reliability issues with them even within 2 year warranty period and these are not pure convection vaporizers. My 4 year old Thermovape is solid as a rock, quality materials sourced and made in US, no exposed electronics, can be taken apart and boiled in water, batteries are dirt cheap. Too bad they are no longer around. I was hoping to find an upgrade without sacrificing existing features.

Vigor,
Reactions: Mr. Me2

CroZure

I have have both the mighty and the firefly 2. Both are great but are completely different vaporizers. The firefly 2 wins in taste, intensity of high, material conservation, and ease of cleaning. The mighty wins in convince from not having to stir, drawl resistence, ease of packing, and length of time between cleaning. The battery is a wash between the two. Both give about the same amount of sessions although the mighty might have the slight edge. Swapping the batteries is nice with the FF2 but being able to use the mighty when charging is a plus.

After 3 months of owning the FF2, it is still my vape of choice. I go back to the mighty every time....and every time I wished I used the FF2 instead. Just remember that the learning curve is real with the FF2.

jay87

I've continued messing around with using the Firefly 2 with water and I've had great results.

I learned to use the FF2 dry very easily with no difficulties but I felt the pain of those with learning curve woes for a little while when I first started using a hydrotube; but now I've got it down.

I first take a few draws without water to heat up the FF2 and preserve the flavor of my concentrates.
Once i've taken a few draws I attach my hydrotube and away I go.

Using water allows me to take longer draws comfortably and get more vapor per draw than I can get dry.
It's important to note that with the FF2 you are drawing the vapor through water continuously to get clouds. This is unlike my other vapes where I generally end up filling the water piece with vapor then clearing it.

A consistent draw is key. If you start drawing consistently you'll get light vapor in the very beginning but the longer you draw consistently the more vapor you get over time.

I also reset the FF2 heater to avoid the auto-shutoff when I'm using water because I can take draws that are in the 30-60 second range, and that's not counting the 3-5 seconds I spend preheating the FF2 before taking a draw through water.

I get huge clouds and it's very enjoyable to use, I feel like I can totally use up or dry out a concentrate pad by taking huge rips through water until the vapor tapers off. The FF2 is just a tasty vapor making machine! :rockon:

fogbank

Thanks for the recommendation, but I hear there are battery/reliability issues with them even within 2 year warranty period and these are not pure convection vaporizers. My 4 year old Thermovape is solid as a rock, quality materials sourced and made in US, no exposed electronics, can be taken apart and boiled in water, batteries are dirt cheap. Too bad they are no longer around. I was hoping to find an upgrade without sacrificing existing features.

I used and enjoyed my Thermovape T1 for a long time. It was my first portable vape purchase after the MFLB. I still take it with me when I travel because of how easy it is to get 100% "legally" clean (take it apart, soak it in ISO and I'm good to fly without any concerns).

The Grasshopper is very similar to the Thermovape T1, but much better. It's as if the T1 evolved over all the years since they stopped making it.

To me the FF2 is not similar to the T1, it is more like the MFLB. Especially in form, but not so much in function. It definitely out performs the MFLB in my experience.

fogbank,
Reactions: Vigor

blue80217

blue80217
I just received my Firefly work order from Vap World,I would get a chemical taste and no matter how I tried to draw the unit would get really hot and no smoke would come out and I have used multiple vaperizers I'll show you whIat they said,

Repair-2290120028 heat core middle repair heat core middle chromatic also repair heat or bottom and they are also replacing the mouthpiece I hope this works I've only used it for almost 2 weeks

Last edited by a moderator:

databator

Hello All,
Just wanted to share my findings on the FF2 not working well out the box.
In short, not been able to get much vapour in 2 days trying. Upon closer look It seems the sealing gasket in the lid is making no contact with the base for several cm around the bowl area and it seems it’s not the lid that’s the problem.

I have tried to diagnose and photo this by applying a smear of vaseline to the gasket and fitting the lid, removing it to show the contact areas on the clean glass base (you can see grease print where contact is). The gasket around the bowl is not contacting for 6cm and the result is lots of air, sadly little vapour. So i have tried to vape with the end squeezed to seal tight and this is clearly better (hooray!) and the draw is tighter.
I have tried to see why this is happening, the reflections on the base glass, around the bowl are slightly distorted and ‘wonky’ suggesting it is not entirely flat (hard to photo). This is borne out by repeating the grease print test with the lid reversed (bowl of lid at mouthpiece end of base) –the print looks the same – same gap at the bowl end of the base, where the distortion and problem is, so i don’t think it’s the lid.

Only way I can get a vape is with finger on button and somehow holding the end of the lid down and drawing for the full 25 seconds until the unit cuts off.

Sorry if this is repeat info, not read all posts but hope this helps someone.

b0

Cloudy...
Ok, this is starting to be ridiculous. Firefly CS is awful and I can't be more dissapointed with it.

Every single time I contact them, I have to go through and alternate person because if I write directly to their email, they never answer. I was ok with that because I was at least, getting answers and it seems like everything was working. But after shipping my unit with batteries and charger, having to pay customs for a "replacement" unit and now open the box... I'm more than dissapointed.

It's exactly my same unit with only ONE of the batteries, exactly the battery that can't hold the charge for 24 hours even if I don't use it. So after the money and the time spend on this I have exactly the same but one battery less. I already write to them, but at this point I don't trust them anymore. In 2 emails I asked them what was wrong with my unit, why they were sending a "replacement" and they never answered any of my questions.

Really dissapointed at this point, gonna try to get a refund, I don't want to support this company anymore. It's a shame because I really like this vape when it works but the CS is totally unacceptable.

mitchgo61

Ok, this is starting to be ridiculous. Firefly CS is awful and I can't be more dissapointed with it.

Every single time I contact them, I have to go through and alternate person because if I write directly to their email, they never answer. I was ok with that because I was at least, getting answers and it seems like everything was working. But after shipping my unit with batteries and charger, having to pay customs for a "replacement" unit and now open the box... I'm more than dissapointed.

It's exactly my same unit with only ONE of the batteries, exactly the battery that can't hold the charge for 24 hours even if I don't use it. So after the money and the time spend on this I have exactly the same but one battery less. I already write to them, but at this point I don't trust them anymore. In 2 emails I asked them what was wrong with my unit, why they were sending a "replacement" and they never answered any of my questions.

Really dissapointed at this point, gonna try to get a refund, I don't want to support this company anymore. It's a shame because I really like this vape when it works but the CS is totally unacceptable.

You can forgive me for not "liking" this post. (We need those FB shades of response, like angry or sad. Seems appropriate here.)

This is very disconcerting. Whatever the issues with your device, at the very least, you should get back both the batteries you paid for. At LEAST.

I would ask you to give them one more shot to fix this problem, but I totally don't blame you for not wanting to. This is why CS is so fucking important, and why FF did such a good job of bonding customers a few years ago....when you feel taken care of, you can put up with a lot of crap. Positive and negative support experiences reverberate, often forever.

I pinged someone there to see if they know what happened in your case, but I totally understand if this is too little too late. Thanks for sharing your story....maybe we'll get a twist ending that makes you happy, but maybe not. :bang:

CroZure

Where can I find a FF1 external battery charger? I can't seem to find them anywhere.

CroZure,

kcmochris

No need to apologize. The fact that you used vaseline and studied the grease pattern says you're getting proactive not just moaning on a forum. And, correct me guys if I'm wrong, but this is the first I've read about the possibility of a non-flat base glass.

I will say, however, that there was plenty of talk about lid gasket issues, successful attempts at trouble-shooting by squeezing the top lid to the unit (which, we all agree should not be a required, additional technique for successful vapor), etc. Take a look when you have some time and see if there are any similarities.

Meanwhile, contact FF. I recommend via phone. Figure out the steps to rectify and, as per forum rules, report back when you have updates! I think this thread got a little burnt out from last couple of weeks--a small few of legit, supported complaints. Others with technique problems. And a whole lot of name-bashing/calling & no supporting evidence nor updates. Thanks for sharing, @databator, and, welcome.

kcmochris,
Reactions: justvapin

mitchgo61

Where can I find a FF1 external battery charger? I can't seem to find them anywhere.

They are currently being re-manufactured...the old ones seem to be out of stock everywhere. Not sure when the new ones are coming...a few weeks at least, I'd think.

You might try eBay...but authorized retailers don't seem to have it right now.

mitchgo61,
Reactions: b0

blue80217

blue80217
Hello All,
In short, not been able to get much vapour in 2 days trying. Upon closer look It seems the sealing gasket in the lid is making no contact with the base for several cm around the bowl area and it seems it’s not the lid that’s the problem.

I have tried to diagnose and photo this by applying a smear of vaseline to the gasket and fitting the lid, removing it to show the contact areas on the clean glass base (you can see grease print where contact is). The gasket around the bowl is not contacting for 6cm and the result is lots of air, sadly little vapour. So i have tried to vape with the end squeezed to seal tight and this is clearly better (hooray!) and the draw is tighter.
I have tried to see why this is happening, the reflections on the base glass, around the bowl are slightly distorted and ‘wonky’ suggesting it is not entirely flat (hard to photo). This is borne out by repeating the grease print test with the lid reversed (bowl of lid at mouthpiece end of base) –the print looks the same – same gap at the bowl end of the base, where the distortion and problem is, so i don’t think it’s the lid.

Only way I can get a vape is with finger on button and somehow holding the end of the lid down and drawing for the full 25 seconds until the unit cuts off.

Hello All,

I would squeeze the two ends the top and the bottom and that was how I was able to get some smoke out

blue80217,

b0

Cloudy...
You can forgive me for not "liking" this post. (We need those FB shades of response, like angry or sad. Seems appropriate here.)

This is very disconcerting. Whatever the issues with your device, at the very least, you should get back both the batteries you paid for. At LEAST.

I would ask you to give them one more shot to fix this problem, but I totally don't blame you for not wanting to. This is why CS is so fucking important, and why FF did such a good job of bonding customers a few years ago....when you feel taken care of, you can put up with a lot of crap. Positive and negative support experiences reverberate, often forever.

I pinged someone there to see if they know what happened in your case, but I totally understand if this is too little too late. Thanks for sharing your story....maybe we'll get a twist ending that makes you happy, but maybe not. :bang:

No problem not liking my post @mitchgo61 to be honest I don't like it either. Wish everything was fine and I could be talking about how much I love the vapor of the FF2. I know that people is gonna think that I'm angry, but to be honest I'm more sad than anything...

The FACT is that I love this vaporizer. I didn't have any issues with the draw or the temps like other users and as much as I have to admit that stirring can be a PITA for some people, it isn't for me, it's like part of the ritual and I like that. But the battery issues were a big no no for me.

The CS RESPONSE is just the worst I have had, with the exception of that "alternate person" who has helped me so much, she's lovely and has been a pleasure to talk with her. The couple of times I had to talk with her I got an email from CS in the same day. So I can't understand how knowing this, the CS hasn't flagged my emails to be more careful with them or something...

And I say RESPONSE because when they answer, usually they do in a satisfactory and really polite way. There is only 2 things that I don't understand: 1 is that they send me a "replacement" (his email said exactly that) and then I found exactly my unit, one of my batteries and my charger. 2 and even a worse one, they send it without letting me know if they did any modification to it or if there was something wrong with my unit. So right now here I am with the paranoia that maybe they just send me the same unit with the same problem :tinfoil:

As an example, last week I had an issue with my EVO and had to send it to @VapeFiend.com. They send it back and contacted me explaining every detail about what the technician did to my unit and what they found was wrong. I asked them about something I thought was wrong and in an hour I had the response of his technician explaining me why he decided to do it that way. That's what I expect from a CS and that's why I buy often from VF.

So while I wait for an answer I'm flying tomorrow to Spain and will test my unit there (with only one battery geez). Let's see if they changed something or not, if the battery life is improved and doesn't drain alone without use in a day I will be happy. If not I will have to take this seriously. At least I will have my loyal Ti Glassy with me and there's a Milaana on the way too (apart from all the vapes in the "backup" part of my signature). It's gonna be a testing vapes holidays!

Thanks for everything you have done for me @mitchgo61 !! Hope this guys at Firefly apreciate what you do for them, because what you did for me doesn't have price, I owe you my friend :bowdown:

And just in case, I don't want misunderstandings: I'm not bashing the company or their product. I like the product and had a really nice experience with members of the company, is just the CS response that sucks :\

Vigor

I used and enjoyed my Thermovape T1 for a long time. It was my first portable vape purchase after the MFLB. I still take it with me when I travel because of how easy it is to get 100% "legally" clean (take it apart, soak it in ISO and I'm good to fly without any concerns).

The Grasshopper is very similar to the Thermovape T1, but much better. It's as if the T1 evolved over all the years since they stopped making it.

To me the FF2 is not similar to the T1, it is more like the MFLB. Especially in form, but not so much in function. It definitely out performs the MFLB in my experience.

It's interesting to hear that you still have use for your Thermovape T1 even though you own FF2 and the Grasshopper. Is it not possible to get FF2 completely clean like the T1?

According to critics Grasshopper vapor is harsh and hot, I wonder if that's something that can be controlled with draw speed like on T1, but it is the reason I thought FF2 would be better for me.

Vigor,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom