The Firefly 2 vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kermitt

I would buy the GH. They are both great devices, but the GH you can use home and on the go. Clear the FF2 too, but on the way the GH is better. My Opinion.

Mr. Me2

Which would you guys recommend buying the firefly 2 or grasshopper I have chance to get one or other
Have you watched the videos or read the reviews by Buzz Danklin at vaporizerwizard.com? I know he's reviewed the gh and I'm pretty sure he's reviewed the ff2. He is very thorough and ranks each vape. That may help you decide.

Vigor

@mitchgo61: It's great that they tell you this:

This is the silver solder I use and it's MSDS...
Http://worthingtonindustries.com/ge...035_bernzomatic_plumbing_solder_silverenglish
Of course my solder was purchased in America and must comply to our safety standards to be sold as solder safe for plumbing. Not saying theirs doesn't.

Just because the solder is safe for plumbing and brewing does not make it safe for use in vaporizers.

The melting temperature of the solder is between 400 and 500 °F and the manufacturer linked above warns to keep melting/soldering temperatures as low as possible to minimize the generation of fume and to use a respirator when ventilation is not adequate. Under Incompatible materials they list Turpentine and under Hazardous Decomposition they state "Toxic metal oxides are emitted when heated above the melting point." They repeatedly warn about inhaling fumes and associated health risks to human and marine life.

Let's explore the temperature aspect. Because this is a convection and not a conduction vaporizer in order to heat the material to 400 °F (or higher in case of concentrates) the actual heating element temperature needs to be significantly hotter in order to heat the air that needs to transfer heat to material being vaporized. Just like when boiling water the heat source needs to exceed the boiling temperature, but in case of water the heat transfer is much better due to conduction. With convection there is more heat loss which requires even higher temperature of the coil. Now we have red hot coil also passing it's heat via conduction to solder joints which means they can get heated above melting point and begin to release metal oxides/fumes that some users have noticed and reported here.

Whats not made in china nowadays lol
There are vaporizers built in US and without use of solder. Some use screws to hold the heating wires, allowing you to replace the heating coil when it wears out, others use heaters incased in ceramic or other safe materials. Others have air path that is completely isolated from electronics.

Firefly chose to do neither of the above, but claims "exceptionally high standards" and "pure vapor." I can see how some folks will find those statements conflicting.

I have unopened firefly delivery and I can't decide if I should try it or sell it. I just know I am going to be exceptionally disappointed if I taste these fumes and I will be very happy if I get pure vapor.

Morimoto

Just because the solder is safe for plumbing and brewing does not make it safe for use in vaporizers.

The melting temperature of the solder is between 400 and 500 °F and the manufacturer linked above warns to keep melting/soldering temperatures as low as possible to minimize the generation of fume and to use a respirator when ventilation is not adequate. Under Incompatible materials they list Turpentine and under Hazardous Decomposition they state "Toxic metal oxides are emitted when heated above the melting point." They repeatedly warn about inhaling fumes and associated health risks to human and marine life.

Let's explore the temperature aspect. Because this is a convection and not a conduction vaporizer in order to heat the material to 400 °F (or higher in case of concentrates) the actual heating element temperature needs to be significantly hotter in order to heat the air that needs to transfer heat to material being vaporized. Just like when boiling water the heat source needs to exceed the boiling temperature, but in case of water the heat transfer is much better due to conduction. With convection there is more heat loss which requires even higher temperature of the coil. Now we have red hot coil also passing it's heat via conduction to solder joints which means they can get heated above melting point and begin to release metal oxides/fumes that some users have noticed and reported here.

There are vaporizers built in US and without use of solder. Some use screws to hold the heating wires, allowing you to replace the heating coil when it wears out, others use heaters incased in ceramic or other safe materials. Others have air path that is completely isolated from electronics.

Firefly chose to do neither of the above, but claims "exceptionally high standards" and "pure vapor." I can see how some folks will find those statements conflicting.

I have unopened firefly delivery and I can't decide if I should try it or sell it. I just know I am going to be exceptionally disappointed if I taste these fumes and I will be very happy if I get pure vapor.

Well... you already decided, you just haven't gotten rid of it yet, if you open it you ARE going to be disappointed based on your above post... so just do yourself a favor and sell it.

For the record, I absolutely love my FireFly 2. Zero regret.

Vigor

Well... you already decided, you just haven't gotten rid of it yet, if you open it you ARE going to be disappointed based on your above post... so just do yourself a favor and sell it.

For the record, I absolutely love my FireFly 2. Zero regret.

Are you saying the fumes are definitely there but that's just not an issue for you?
The only thing I have decided on is that I don't want to taste chemicals from my vaporizer, I am after pure flavor. If that's not Firefly, then you've convinced me to sell it.

Modnote: Post edited to comply with forum rules

Last edited by a moderator:
Vigor,

Mr. Me2

Are you saying the fumes are definitely there but that's just not an issue for you?
The only thing I have decided on is that I don't want to taste chemicals from my vaporizer, I am after pure flavor. If that's not Firefly, then you've convinced me to sell it.

Unopened Firefly2 black for sale in SF Bay Area, PM me your best offer.
The Ff2 is supposed to have the best flavor of almost any vape.

There has been the rare report here of someone getting a funky taste. I don't remember the source ever being definitively identified, but those are the outliers. And I don't think it lasted. Others here can correct me if my memory is wrong on this.

Mr. Me2,
Reactions: Kermitt

jabba

Which would you guys recommend buying the firefly 2 or grasshopper I have chance to get one or other

These are entirely differing vapes imo. While both are labeled "portables"...the GH is truly portable while the FF2 simply has a portable form factor. I purchased FF2 preorder and sold it fairly quickly after trying it for a week. The FF2 does have a minor learning curve, but once you get the hang, it produces nice cool and yummy vapor. FF2 does require FREQUENT stirring of material...and imo it is messy to do so. I also found the form factor of the FF2 wonky to hold and pull from. The form factor, need to hold while pressing, pipe characteristics, and need to stir do not help make the FF2 stealthy or portable imo. If you are seeking a home device with the best flavor and cool vapor....and if you don't mind the stirring and ritual which is required....the FF2 is a really good vape. Personally, I would never leave the house with an FF2 in pocket. Personally, I DETESTED the need to open an app on my phone to change vape settings....geeez. The battery compartment lid...and general construction quality....I personally think is quite fair at best. I have ZERO need to see the bowl through the glass. Did I mention the need to stir this thing several times per bowl?....just not for me.

The GH more fits my personal needs. GH is VERY discrete and small....and is an absolute vapor powerhouse. It fits in pocket and can give you a rip and return to pocket in literally 15 seconds...no muss, no fuss. No stirring. Pack it ....and rip it....that is all. The vapor in the GH is hot...and certainly warm at best. The mouthpiece and body get warm/hot fast. If you want to rip hit after hit natively....GH is not the answer. If you want to be able to sneak a puff...of just relax and have a puff...quickly and efficiently...GH is a great option. I bought two of them. It may not provide the "flavor" of the FF2....which I see merely as a symptom of the hot vapor temperature vs. the FF2 cool vapor temperature.....but for any/all other factors I am sold on the GH. Quick AND precise temperature adjustment on the fly....cheap batteries....for which I purchased an external charger....I just love the GH setup personally. A whole lot of people are having "issues" with their Grasshoppers which require warranty repairs. I don't know how much of it is user error, but certainly the GH has an inordinately high failure rate if the frequent postings can be affirmed. Despite it all....my GH has performed very well...and I couldn't have dreamed of a more suitable vape for my personal needs.

I've seen many reviews of both vapes. Reviews should be scrutinized based upon the requirements of each vaper. Some are looking for true portability while others are offended by hot vapor. Some enjoy the ritual of the process....and some wish to rip and go. These two vapes certainly offer differing uses. If you simply cannot make up your mind....perhaps you should buy both :)

Last edited:

malsanti

I haven't used a grasshopper just a few other vaporizers. But, the grasshopper is meant to give you much easier to get clouds, but also much warmer and stronger odor.

Odor is a HUGE consideration, depending on where you plan on using it. And GH is meant to give a warm smelly cloud. Fine for the park. Not so fine for anywhere indoors. But yeah, it looks the most discreet for sure. No other vape is going to get by searches as easily, although, the FF2, with its mouthpiece removed looks like it could be any number of devices.

I don't think the FF2 is hard to use really. Someone else said once its warmed up and primed to go, you can get as big a cloud as you can bare. And to me flavor and taste are HUGE. I don't know how much better it is on the FF2, but that is just an advantage I cannot deny. The stronger the flavor, the more it lingers in your mouth the better and longer the high, imo.

It's the only vape for me, that has been able to give me that lingering taste smoking used to. I know people like to have companion devices, but personally, I am happy just with my FF2. I mean, after a certain point, what separates good bud from bad bud is the taste and flavor, for stoners, well a lot of them anyway.

I also am acclimating to its effects very slowly, to me implying it produces especially potent clouds. Just the reasons why I love my FF2, but there are many reason to get a GH.

I'll just say one other thing, isn't FF a notoriously reliable product, like that is one of its main pluses? While, GH is kinda having a complete 180 problem, where there is an insanely high failure rate?

malsanti,

jabba

I haven't used a grasshopper just a few other vaporizers. But, the grasshopper is meant to give you much easier to get clouds, but also much warmer and stronger odor.

Odor is a HUGE consideration, depending on where you plan on using it. And GH is meant to give a warm smelly cloud. Fine for the park. Not so fine for anywhere indoors. But yeah, it looks the most discreet for sure. No other vape is going to get by searches as easily, although, the FF2, with its mouthpiece removed looks like it could be any number of devices.

I don't think the FF2 is hard to use really. Someone else said once its warmed up and primed to go, you can get as big a cloud as you can bare. And to me flavor and taste are HUGE. I don't know how much better it is on the FF2, but that is just an advantage I cannot deny. The stronger the flavor, the more it lingers in your mouth the better and longer the high, imo.

It's the only vape for me, that has been able to give me that lingering taste smoking used to. I know people like to have companion devices, but personally, I am happy just with my FF2. I mean, after a certain point, what separates good bud from bad bud is the taste and flavor, for stoners, well a lot of them anyway.

I also am acclimating to its effects very slowly, to me implying it produces especially potent clouds. Just the reasons why I love my FF2, but there are many reason to get a GH.

I'll just say one other thing, isn't FF a notoriously reliable product, like that is one of its main pluses? While, GH is kinda having a complete 180 problem, where there is an insanely high failure rate?

The GH is most definitely the lowest odor vape I've ever used. When working properly....vapor blown out from ANY vape smells like cannabis vapor. When you have a half spent bowl waiting for your next rip....the GH smells far less than anything I've come across. I could not leave a half vaped bowl of FF2 in my office without it being completely obvious. I can leave my GH half vaped sitting on my desk in front of me....and nobody would smell it or know what the heck it was.

IMO...to those of you in movie theaters and public places vaping....you aren't half as discreet as you think you are. We notice you....we are just too embarrassed FOR YOU to say anything. Discretion is the better part of valor. Vapor from good weed smells p.e.r.i.o.d. If a tree falls in the forest and you aren't there to see/hear it.....you get the point. My friends that still smoke cigarettes come back inside smelling like a forest fire....and they don't even notice it themselves. Some of these cig smoking clowns who have been 'hiding' their cigarette smoking from their children for a decade (or more) think that they are fooling their children. Their children too....are simply too kind to embarrass their parents. Let's get real folks. If humans with noses are within a reasonable distance from your kind bud vaping....they know you are kind bud vaping. If they are far enough away to not smell it...or if they were born without a typical sense of smell....perhaps they don't notice you. It doesn't matter what tool you are using to vape....cannabis vapor smells, the sun is hot, ice is cold...and so on.

Last edited:

Mr. Me2

The GH is most definitely the lowest odor vape I've ever used. When working properly....vapor blown out from ANY vape smells like cannabis vapor. When you have a half spent bowl waiting for your next rip....the GH smells far less than anything I've come across.

IMO...to those of you in movie theaters and public places vaping....you aren't half as discreet as you think you are. We notice you....we are just too embarrassed for you to say anything. Discretion is the better part of valor. Vapor from good weed smells p.e.r.i.o.d. If a tree falls in the forest and you aren't there to see/hear it.....you get the point.
Hey @jabba, you're about to pass a messaging hurdle. Congrats!

Vigor

The Ff2 is supposed to have the best flavor of almost any vape.

There has been the rare report here of someone getting a funky taste. I don't remember the source ever being definitively identified, but those are the outliers. And I don't think it lasted. Others here can correct me if my memory is wrong on this.

Yes the best flavor is the reason I ordered it. It's what I am after.

As for the reports of chemical taste, there are certainly more than one recorded in this thread. The first user that reported it received a replacement that had the same issue and someone even commented here that firefly acknowledged that it was unacceptable and was planning to address the issue with the new process, however none of the people who experienced the problem ever reported that the issue has been fixed for them.

Some people have no problem drinking tap water, others swear they prefer the taste of bottled water. Can't blame either group even if they are a minority.

Mr. Me2

As for the reports of chemical taste, there are certainly more than one recorded in this thread. The first user that reported it received a replacement that had the same issue and someone even commented here that firefly acknowledged that it was unacceptable and was planning to address the issue with the new process, however none of the people who experienced the problem ever reported that the issue has been fixed for them.

Some people have no problem drinking tap water, others swear they prefer the taste of bottled water. Can't blame either group even if they are a minority.
If you want great flavor and are on the fence about the ff2, you can always get a Crafty or Mighty...

malsanti

Insulting members is against forum rules. Warning point issued.
The GH is most definitely the lowest odor vape I've ever used. When working properly....vapor blown out from ANY vape smells like cannabis vapor. When you have a half spent bowl waiting for your next rip....the GH smells far less than anything I've come across. I could not leave a half vaped bowl of FF2 in my office without it being completely obvious. I can leave my GH half vaped sitting on my desk in front of me....and nobody would smell it or know what the heck it was.

IMO...to those of you in movie theaters and public places vaping....you aren't half as discreet as you think you are. We notice you....we are just too embarrassed FOR YOU to say anything. Discretion is the better part of valor. Vapor from good weed smells p.e.r.i.o.d. If a tree falls in the forest and you aren't there to see/hear it.....you get the point. My friends that still smoke cigarettes come back inside smelling like a forest fire....and they don't even notice it themselves. Some of these cig smoking clowns who have been 'hiding' their cigarette smoking from their children for a decade (or more) think that they are fooling their children. Their children too....are simply too kind to embarrass their parents. Let's get real folks. If humans with noses are within a reasonable distance from your kind bud vaping....they know you are kind bud vaping. If they are far enough away to not smell it...or if they were born without a typical sense of smell....perhaps they don't notice you. It doesn't matter what tool you are using to vape....cannabis vapor smells, the sun is hot, ice is cold...and so on.

Lol, butt hurt people really amuse me. Okay, yr GH is good! Save your emotions for real life. But I guess that's the point, you can't.

And the bolded is why it pays to read before posting. You should try it. No crap you don't do it within reasonable distance to anybody. Which is something I have said a million times. CONTEXT. Reading before you post. All good things to avoid embarrassment and wasting of time!

And, no vaporizing in a park among other young people who are doing the same, no one is embarrassed. That is a legitimately bizarre and stupid thing to say. I guess if your feelings are getting hurt over a GH this means you don't have much going on in yr life? Sorry dawg.

According to every reputable review, from people who seem to know what they are talking about, including vapecritic, FF2 produces far less odor and more flavor, two FANTASTIC reasons to get it over the GH.

Less odor means more discretion, that is just an obvious fact. The point isn't that its used in an empty theater, park, or bathroom, or if you speculate without knowing the context if someone notices, THE POINT, is whatever the context, if there is less odor, it is more stealthy. FACT. I think only a argumentative and stupid person would not get this.

Your analogy also implies smoking cannabis produces the same obvious odor as smoking cannabis? I don't think one could think of a stupider and more inappropriate metaphor if one tried.

Last edited:
malsanti,

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are

I can't speak to the solder issue. As for "chemical" tastes....there were two culprits.

1. Some lids gave off a weird taste that dissipated after a day or so. Speculation ranged from the new silicon seal having a slight odor to the seal picking up a temporary odor from packing materials. In any case, everyone that experienced this lid taste issue reported that it abated after 48 hours.

2. There were a handful (like, literally a handful) of FF2s that had a weird taste caused in manufacturing by the cleaning process of the glass bowl. An extra step was added that fixed this....and the SF office never found any units with this problem, so it was limited to a very small number of units, most of which were caught in manufacturing. (I know of exactly one FCer who had this issue.)

I don't know of any instances of the solder being a problem. That doesn't definitively rule anything out, but let's not conflate anecdotal FC stories with "the solder is the culprit". That may or may not make you more sanguine about the FF....your call, obviously.

jay87

I have to say that the Firefly 2 is definitely the lowest odor vape I've ever used.

I use it inside with an air filter and I'd say within 5 minutes you can't smell anything at all.

Both the vaporizer and the vapor produced by the FF2 tends to be very low odor when compared with my other vapes.

As far as stealth is concerned I'm not worried about people seeing my vaporizer as I can just cover it up with my hand. Smell is by far the most important factor when it comes to stealth in my opinion, you can pretend the FF2 is an mp3 player if someone sees it but if someone knows what they're smelling then there's no denying that. :shrug:

As for the never-ending grasshopper debate:

Grasshopper- smaller, much hotter, more portable, no stirring, huge clouds, one-hitter, better for herb
Firefly 2- slightly larger, much cooler vapor, much tastier vapor, requires stirring with herb, much better for concentrates

They also have different batteries, different usability, different cleaning requirements, different warranties, different amount of manufacturing issues, different amounts of time between ordering and receiving the device, so much differs between these 2 devices.

Newsflash, the Grasshopper and Firefly 2 are complimentary in that they have many, many differences, so much so that it's hard to compare them directly other than to look at their wildly varying pros and cons.

The "better" vape between these two completely depends on the user and the situation. There is no absolute better option when you're choosing between the GH and the FF2. Both the Grasshopper and Firefly 2 are awesome vaporizers in their own right. :2c:

jabba

Lol, butt hurt people really amuse me. Okay, yr GH is good! Save your emotions for real life. But I guess that's the point, you can't.

And the bolded is why it pays to read before posting. You should try it. No crap you don't do it within reasonable distance to anybody. Which is something I have said a million times. CONTEXT. Reading before you post. All good things to avoid embarrassment and wasting of time!

And, no vaporizing in a park among other young people who are doing the same, no one is embarrassed. That is a legitimately bizarre and stupid thing to say. I guess if your feelings are getting hurt over a GH this means you don't have much going on in yr life? Sorry dawg.

According to every reputable review, from people who seem to know what they are talking about, including vapecritic, FF2 produces far less odor and more flavor, two FANTASTIC reasons to get it over the GH.

Less odor means more discretion, that is just an obvious fact. The point isn't that its used in an empty theater, park, or bathroom, or if you speculate without knowing the context if someone notices, THE POINT, is whatever the context, if there is less odor, it is more stealthy. FACT. I think only a argumentative and stupid person would not get this.

Your analogy also implies smoking cannabis produces the same obvious odor as smoking cannabis? I don't think one could think of a stupider and more inappropriate metaphor if one tried.

Excellent post!....much appreciated. Have another puff why don't ya! I'm not "butt hurt"....just trying to provide some clarity to otherwise opaque posts. I am certainly glad that I was of some assistance to you...and I offer any future assistance that you require. We are all here to help you.

What is that expression...hmmm..."my $hit don't stink"....please feel free to use the expression if you wish....if you haven't already.

My post was unbiased. I can't stir an FF2 in the windy park. I can't hold a bowl-like vape which lights up like a firefly in a theater. Vaporized pot smells like vaporized pot...no matter what vaporizer you use.

I also expounded on the virtues of the FF2....despite the fact that it is 'not the vape for me'. I further suggested that the poster buy both FF2 and GH if he was unable to decide. You simply are upset that others now know that you are alone...in a theater....vaping.....and that some folks might find it a bit creepy. Me included.

G'day mate!

Last edited:

To_thy_cloud

I just don't think it will work, I know it might
Stick a concentrate pad on top. Works a treat.
Thanks, yeah I did this with the Prima since the bowl is so big, for some reason it is mental thing, I don't like the concentrate pad. I enjoy the Crafty and Mighty for this reason. Never have to fill the thing and still get great draws.

To_thy_cloud,

sky king

2. There were a handful (like, literally a handful) of FF2s that had a weird taste caused in manufacturing by the cleaning process of the glass bowl. An extra step was added that fixed this....and the SF office never found any units with this problem, so it was limited to a very small number of units, most of which were caught in manufacturing. (I know of exactly one FCer who had this issue.)

At times I have also noticed an unpleasant chemical smell/taste from the FF2. I have been in touch with the company about it...

sky king,

greenextinguisher

You made a great choice. As a first and only vape (not certain this is the case), I like the FF2 for you. For me, flavor and comfort trump a lot of other things and if I didn't have any devices that provide great flavor, I wouldn't be happy. It's versatile enough to do well in about all scenarios. You got some great advice from @jabba as well, especially the part about scrutinizing based on your requirements.

The FF2 is great because it's compact/contained and all you really need while providing the experience you'd expect from a much bulkier device with a really long glass stem. It is probably the first and only software-upgradable vape with new features on the horizon. Its pretty amazing. After your honeymoon phase is over, you'll be looking again. I won't even list what you should check out next because the list will likely be different by that time. The GH is absolutely worth having.

I've used both extensively and they are both the most odor-discreet devices. Really, I think it is mostly due to being convection devices that have pretty well contained chambers. They are also both really simple to clean. Though, once you pick up a sack of super lemon haze, your spot is blown up no matter which vape you use... hahaha.

edit:

Thanks, yeah I did this with the Prima since the bowl is so big, for some reason it is mental thing, I don't like the concentrate pad. I enjoy the Crafty and Mighty for this reason. Never have to fill the thing and still get great draws.

Did you try pressing down on you stuff to flatten it against the bottom screen? I also find using pads annoying. Tamping definitely helps, but nothing is quite as good as a full pack by my estimation. Since the FF2 is on demand, I always pack it full.

Last edited:

malsanti

Excellent post!....much appreciated. Have another puff why don't ya! I'm not "butt hurt"....just trying to provide some clarity to otherwise opaque posts. I am certainly glad that I was of some assistance to you...and I offer any future assistance that you require. We are all here to help you.

What is that expression...hmmm..."my $hit don't stink"....please feel free to use the expression if you wish....if you haven't already.

My post was unbiased. I can't stir an FF2 in the windy park. I can't hold a bowl-like vape which lights up like a firefly in a theater. Vaporized pot smells like vaporized pot...no matter what vaporizer you use.

I also expounded on the virtues of the FF2....despite the fact that it is 'not the vape for me'. I further suggested that the poster buy both FF2 and GH if he was unable to decide. You simply are upset that others now know that you are alone...in a theater....vaping.....and that some folks might find it a bit creepy. Me included.

G'day mate!

Personally attacking someone over an inanimate object because you can't come up with an effective or interesting argument, is literally the definition of being butt hurt. Don worry dawg, your GH is all good.

I find it UTTERLY BIZZARE anyone on a vaporizing discussion board could say the smell of cannabis is the smell of cannabis. Really? You literally implied smoking it is the same thing as vaporizing it. Sorry, but like I said, I think that is insane and completely wrong. Like objectively wrong. Dismissing the idea of odor control, and claiming it's all the same is again, wrong. I would imagine anyone with even the most basic of experience with vaporizing would virgoursly disagree with such a claim.

If you want to ignore the point of the discussion and attack someone to win some imaginary ego points, at least do it well. Will probably save you some pain. And, again you are trying to make it personal. No, if I was upset at disclosing that I like to vape in empty theaters on an anonymous forum I wouldn't do it, OBVIOUSLY. Again, BIZZARE assertion, that makes no sense at all. But continue to make it personal and ignore THE POINT. Wait I don't get it, first it was that I am obvious to you, now its that I am creepy? LMAO! Its a good thing you aren't just saying things to be argumentative.

But I do get a tinsy bit annoyed when people make things personal when they can't come up with an argument, and especially when most of what they say is objectively wrong. Sorry, odor control is real, it exists, and it matters. Saying otherwise and your analogy, is what is embarrassing.

I'm having a great day. Thanks!

Last edited:
malsanti,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom