The Firefly 2 vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Me2

After deliberation with the wife we decided to get the Firefly 2. We have a Pax 2 which is nice but A) we needed another portable vape since I work out of town a lot which just leaves her with combustion at home, and B) Our P2 is about to get send in to the factory for the second time in a year. Resin keeps getting under the silicon lid and making the button stick... very difficult to turn on when cold. That makes it rough for me when I have to be quick and discrete.

The near-instant heat up of the FF2 will make my travels much easier. I bought it from a well renowned local head shop and they threw in the official case for free, which pretty much offset any overhead charge they added (they sold the FF2 for $20 more but you gotta support local business.)

I'm now almost done fully charging the second battery... but I have to wait until wifey gets home before we can test it out. I hate The Waiting Game...

SIDE NOTE:

How sturdy is the FF2 compared to P2? I usually travel with my P2, a tube of already ground up herb, and a poker... all of these are in a leak-proof travel coffee mug that goes in my suitcase to eliminate smell in the work trucks. I looks like the FF2 in its case will fit in the mug as well... might need a skinnier tube now. But it appears snug enough that it won't move. Is this an okay move or am I better off leaving the FF2 for the wife and taking the P2 that has already proven its durability?
I think you're building a nice vape collection, but to add to your vas, I think you should add a grasshopper to the family. It's perfect for solo use, and talk about stealthy!... It could be the best when you're on the road!

Atanyrhate

@RaffOutLoud You'll only get anecdotes on durability. AFAIK there is no reputable 3rd party doing drop tests with various vaporizers. My own personal anecdote is that the FF2 will be plenty durable for any amount of travel. I've already dropped mine on a hard floor and it didn't even spill. People tend to underestimate plastic's durability.

Isn't the FF2 made out of a magnesium alloy? Perhaps the colored part of the lid is plastic, but the silver stuff only feels like plastic. It definitely threw me when I first held it. While I appreciate how light it is, I wonder if a few more ounces of weight and less creaking sounds when I held it would make it feel as solid as it probably is.

It sounds like the lid even stayed on when you dropped it, yes? That's very cool. That magnet is pretty legit.

kcmochris

@RaffOutLoud For on-the-go, hit it and quit it style I'd recommend the FF2 over the P2. If you're on the road putting it in a suitcase that holds your travel coffee thermos you should go with the FF2. Treat it delicately--as in, insulate it btw other items shaking around + the interior thermos wall. I believe in the magnesium alloy--it's a strong, yet light material. Magnesium has great dent resistance. Plus, I'm sure you're taking care of it.

It does seem like your wife really wanted the FF2 to enjoy, too; and as I'm sure you already do: share. My GF is excited with the FF everytime. She ends up just using our one-hitter if I ever travel with the Firefly so I know where you're coming from. The Pax is great for getting a powerful session. But the FF is better for me in a utilitarian aspect. It's a very, very good one for the house. Whether you're making dinner, shaking and baking around the house, or want to finish a session all the way through, it is efficient. It conserves. Like @greenextinguisher suggests, you'll figure it out in the next couple days.

Great you got it at a local shop. I couldn't find it anywhere in NYC when I searched around for an unit in June.

kcmochris,
Reactions: b0

greenextinguisher

Isn't the FF2 made out of a magnesium alloy? Perhaps the colored part of the lid is plastic, but the silver stuff only feels like plastic. It definitely threw me when I first held it. While I appreciate how light it is, I wonder if a few more ounces of weight and less creaking sounds when I held it would make it feel as solid as it probably is.

It sounds like the lid even stayed on when you dropped it, yes? That's very cool. That magnet is pretty legit.

Actually, I think you are correct that some of the outside is an alloy of some sort. If you take the battery compartment door off and drop it on a hard service it has an obvious metallic sound. When everything is together, it does feel like plastic. I'm not sure about the frame of the lid or the part that they offer as different colors. I'm also suspicious of the ring around the outside of the device (where the buttons are and the mouthpiece plugs into). I think that could be plastic and the main structure/frame underneath is metal. It seems to wear differently than the battery door and has a different feel than the obvious metal parts and a lot of flex to it. It would make sense to have a plastic ring like this as a shock absorber and to reduce heat transfer to fingers. Alloys and composites can be tricky to identify though, so I can't say definitively. The buttons are not totally opaque. I can actually see the light and the glow of the bowl through them.

That's correct. I knocked it off the arm of a chair, it hit the ground and then slid a bit. I picked it up and took a hit! :) No spillage.

One thing is that the battery compartment on mine is quite scuffed and scratched from travel, but I haven't babied it at all. I often just toss it in the mix where it can come into contact with hard objects like keys and other devices. So, cosmetically, the battery compartment may not hold up well if I continue my ways.

If there are any 3rd party accessory makers listening, I think it would be a successful endeavor to make a stir lid for the FF2. Its really this things only weakness in my book. Some other portable convection vapes have stir mechanisms built in. I'd gladly give up the window at least some of the time to have more convenience and stealth. It will be a challenge to craft out of materials that don't compromise the FF2 while also preventing leakage.

edit: the firefly site mentions that the chassis is magnesium alloy.

Last edited:

Mango

Having trouble conntecting to the app even when I press both the activation keys. It doesnt pick up the firefly anymore...

Edit: Searched around, seems you need the location servive to be enabled for some reason... This fixes the problem but I don't see why the device requires gps/location....

Last edited:
Mango,

Poostuff

Please delete
Having trouble conntecting to the app even when I press both the activation keys. It doesnt pick up the firefly anymore...

Edit: Searched around, seems you need the location servive to be enabled for some reason... This fixes the problem but I don't see why the device requires gps/location....
Creepy.. so wait does that mean you can't use it without an internet connection? That seems odd.

Poostuff,

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
Creepy.. so wait does that mean you can't use it without an internet connection? That seems odd.

You only need location services on Android. Low power BT for droid requires it. It is not necessary for iOS devices. (And as has been stated previously, this info isn't logged or kept anywhere by FF.)

Last edited:
mitchgo61,
Reactions: Poostuff

flyfishwino

So I'm reading some horror stories about the FF2 here.
How many have issues and how many love it and recommend it?
Thx

flyfishwino,

irie4i

Hey, sorry if this ia covered elsewhere but, other than the original Firefly external charger is there a charger I can buy for these batteries?

mitchgo61

Thx

Many of us love it. Not sure about horror stories but there have been some users with a few issues, and an occasional faulty unit. If you're looking for on-demand convection it's pretty awesome.

Hey, sorry if this ia covered elsewhere but, other than the original Firefly external charger is there a charger I can buy for these batteries?

This is a new item....unclear exactly what it is. Possibly it's an external charger but I haven't seen any pix yet....
https://www.thefirefly.com/firefly-2-quickcharge-wall-adapter-u-s-canada.html

mitchgo61,

RaffOutLoud

Hey all, thank you for your input from earlier this week (finally getting a chance to get on here with the little-to-no signal I'm getting at the job site).

Wifey ended up taking the FF. I was still unsure about traveling with it until I really got a feel for it. Plus she might have to deal with some of my family today and tomorrow so she could really use the quick hit. The FF would have been incredibly useful for me as well but I'm not as worried about smell and longer sessions since there aren't a lot of people who stay where we are at in the summer... more of a wintering area

...night and day...firefly2 and pax...conduction vs convection.
Right. But comparison of durability was the discussion at hand. Thanks for chiming in, though.

Last edited:
RaffOutLoud,
Reactions: b0

b0

Cloudy...
Wow, that just a heck of an understatement to me. Cheers

It sure is, 18 days since I contacted them with my problems and still no solution.

Had to send my EVO to fix a problem with the bamboo, wrote to them on monday, they answered back in less than 24 hours and it's already in their hands. This is the kind of service I expect after paying 325$

I don't know what's happening with Firefly but it's unacceptable.

b0,

mitchgo61

It sure is, 18 days since I contacted them with my problems and still no solution.

Had to send my EVO to fix a problem with the bamboo, wrote to them on monday, they answered back in less than 24 hours and it's already in their hands. This is the kind of service I expect after paying 325$

I don't know what's happening with Firefly but it's unacceptable.

Wait, I thought they contacted you? Did I hallucinate that you were on the road to resolution, or did something else happen?

I guess it must be my old age....when I hear the phrase "horror story" I don't think of portable vape issues. :lol:

jay87

Thx

The horror stories are way overblown imo. A lot of people I've seen who have any issues about anything regarding the FF2 freak out and repeatedly post novels about how they paid a fortune and their FF2 didn't include fellatio for "$330?!?!?!"

I've been using the FF2 exclusively with concentrates and it is absolutely amazing. I would say if you use concentrates and don't have an FF2 you're living in the stone age. Screw coils, screw wicks, screw red hot titanium nails, The vapor quality of the FF2 is on a completely different level.

It's the most efficient, smoothest, best tasting, and easiest to use method for using concentrates I've ever tried.

No sticky threads or disgusting nails, you can clean the FF2 to be brand new in 30 seconds. The FF2 seems to be built to last for a very long time. :2c:

The issues with the FF2 are there but they really don't relate to the function of the vaporizer at all. Battery meter broken(should be fixed soon), no external charger included(now being sold online), the heater makes a slight buzzing noise only audible to dogs(ok not really but it's close), you can't use it to suck a golf ball through a gardening hose(don't try this it's not worth it, trust me), and on top of all that did I mention this thing costs a completely ludicrously ridiculous $330?!???? :lol:

For concentrates I'd absolutely recommend it and give it a 9.5/10 it's as close to a perfect portable concentrate vaporizer as you can get. :rockon:

Slow Draw McGraw

Company Rep
I guess it must be my old age....when I hear the phrase "horror story" I don't think of portable vape issues. :lol:
Exactly. Like all electronic devices there can be some defects or bugs but hardly call them horror stories.
@b0 you took a risk with no support in Europe(at this point in time) then you get upset when support is spotty? I mean what did you expect? Price is irrelevant.
I have an EVO less than a year old that had to be repaired twice (paid shipping both times for something not my fault!) and haven't had to send my Firefly 1 or firefly 2 in once yet....so your EVO service comparison holds no water here.

turk

turk
...convection vapes are not for everybody...(yet )..it's possible the technology will evolve so that these types of units appeal and satisfy all consumers...it's possible it will not...I doubt the firefly will ever satisfy every perceived vaping desire..so what..for what it does...it is outstanding.

b0

Cloudy...
Wait, I thought they contacted you? Did I hallucinate that you were on the road to resolution, or did something else happen?

In the post I said 18 days without solution. They only contacted me (thank you for your help in that) to ask me for the case number, still waiting for an answer sadly :(

@b0 you took a risk with no support in Europe(at this point in time) then you get upset when support is spotty? I mean what did you expect? Price is irrelevant.

I spect them to answer my emails. My problem is not how they are helping me or if they're covering the warranty because I'm in Europe. The problem is that they don't even bother answering and I needed the help of another member (thanks again @mitchgo61) and only THEN, I got an email from someone Outside of the customer service to try to help me and see what's the deal with the customer service. But as I said, they only asked the case number and I'm waiting. Fingers crossed I get an answer soon :)

If you take 5 minutes of research, you will find that there are other users with the same issues in the US, so trying to blame this in me buying an unit from Europe without knowing if they will honor warranty (I haven't read about no warranty in Europe, only that they don't sell them directly to Europe. But there is already people in Europe with units from vaposhop) is totally out of place.

This is a known issue with firefly.

Also, just wanted to say that I love the vaporizer itself and I'm not trying to bash the company. I hope to be able to find a solution and keep this vape in my collection.

b0,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom