The FC Coffeebar

idboehman

Do we have a coffee thread already? If so please lock/delete this one. I feel like there might be a lot of overlap between these hobbies but I could also be completely projecting lol.

To kick things off, I got into coffee when I went off to college (how original). In my freshman dorm I had a little single-cup maker (not a Keurig or pod machine) on my dresser and I got "fresh ground" coffee from the bulk coffee section at Whole Foods. Then after a secret santa thing on Reddit, I was extremely fortunate to receive a Hario Skerton grinder and Aeropress which opened the doors wide. At Christmas a year or two later I got a Capresso Infinity from my parents which dutifully ground coffee every morning for about six months until I eventually took it into work where it replaced your standard Krups blade grinder and was heavily used until it eventually died years later after I left; I heard they replaced it with the same thing which is kind of cool.

But since I'd lost my electronic grinder and the Skerton, while fantastic as a first (hand) grinder, is not very efficient and can be annoying to use. All this time I'd still been buying whole coffee beans at the supermarket but eventually switched to pre-ground when I lost access to the Infinity, which works *okay* in an Aeropress if you use it inverted but it's not ideal. Eventually due to circumstances I was staying with my parents and didn't have an Aeropress or grinder anymore so it was drip machine and pre-ground storebought coffee.

Fast forward to last year and I've moved again and am starting fresh without equipment, so I went back to my old love, the Aeropress, along with a Baratza Encore, a good scale with a timer, and a gooseneck kettle. Eventually ended up with a Chemex as well to learn how to do pour overs. I still use the Aeorpress most mornings because the time of "I want coffee" to "I'm drinking coffee and everything is cleaned up" is only 5 minutes, but espresso at home has been calling my name recently and that's a whole 'nother can of worms.

As for actual coffee beans, I've got a subscription set up with Verve so that every three weeks-ish I get a freshly roasted bag of coffee. All in all my coffee routine has come a long way from the single cup maker on my dorm room dresser.

Anyways, who else here loves coffee?

TheThriftDrifter

Land of the long vapor cloud
Me, I am a coffee snob 100%

Used to have a single cup espresso machine much like yourself, nothing fancy but I learnt how to drive it and with freshly roasted, ground beans, I could make better coffee than most cafes in town(which spoiled going out for coffee)

I have a friend who has a small home based coffee roasting business, he makes amazing espresso from beans he imports by the sackful.

Sad thing is, it made me a coffee snob, but even worse I have had to give up consuming caffeine due to ill health.

Decaf just ain't quite the same.

Coffee is amazing.

proceeds_the_weedian

Oh yesssss! I'm almost as much into coffee as I am cannabis:love:
Whole beans,organic preferably single origin. V60 when I have the time,in the morning my trusty handbuilt dutch Moccamaster does the honors almost as well. I like bright and fruity like Ethiopians and Kenyans or chocolate-y,round ones like bourbons.
Recently I met a Colombian guy that moved to the next town over that does small batches from small mountain farms. His stuff is amazing. We talked coffee for hours. He gave me samples of stuff he's testing. It was almost like meeting a grower-buddy,but instead of buds he has beans. Same passion,same nerdy intensity. I dig it:nod:
My girl still rolls her eyes as I weigh out the beans (because I don't trust the grinder! yes,every time!),wet the filter and tare out the scales. Buuut does concede that I make good coffee...although she'll still happily drink instant:rolleyes:

Tranquility

I know what you mean.

There is some kind of parallel between coffee and cannabis.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/321227.php
Coffee is a complex substance and — as a new study finds — its metabolic interactions are equally complex. Surprisingly, coffee influences the same regions of the brain as cannabis.

Although studies looking at coffee's health benefits — or lack thereof — appear to be published on an almost daily basis, its true impact on health is still poorly understood.

Some studies have found health benefits, some have concluded that it might reduce mortality risk, and others drew no solid conclusions.

This confusion is due to several factors, and one is the difficulty in separating cause and effect in large, population-based studies. For example, someone who drinks a lot of coffee might also sleep less, smoke more tobacco, drink less water, or work unsociable hours. These factors muddy the statistical waters.

Also, coffee is an incredibly complex beast; it contains more than 1,000 aroma compounds, levels of which vary depending on the type of coffee bean and how it is brewed.

The metabolites of coffee
Recently, a group of researchers from Northwestern University in Chicago, IL, took a detailed look at the impact of coffee consumption on our internal chemistry. Their findings were published this week in the Journal of Internal Medicine.

The 3-month study involved 47 people living in Finland. In the first month, the participants drank no coffee at all; in the second, they consumed four cups every day; and in the third, they drank eight cups each day.

Using advanced profiling techniques, lead author Marilyn Cornelis and her team checked the levels of more than 800 metabolites in the blood after each stage. Metabolites are chemicals produced during metabolism. They are generally small molecules and carry out a range of functions both within and between cells.

The scientists found that with increased coffee consumption, blood metabolites involved in the endocannabinoid system dropped off. This is the system that gives cannabis its recreational and medical effects.

Interestingly, the effect of coffee consumption on the endocannabinoid system was the opposite to cannabis use: endocannabinoid neurotransmitters decreased with the consumption of eight cups per day, but levels are increased by cannabis use.

Endocannabinoids may answer queries
The endocannabinoid system helps to modulate a whole host of metabolic activities — including blood pressure, cognition, addiction, immunity, appetite, sleep, and glucose metabolism. So, if coffee influences this overarching system, it will open up many new research avenues.

"These are entirely new pathways by which coffee might affect health," notes Cornelis. "Now, we want to delve deeper and study how these changes affect the body."

For instance, the endocannabinoid system is believed to influence eating behavior. As Cornelis says, this could help to explain "the link between cannabis use and the munchies." Conversely, coffee has been considered a potential weight loss aid and may reduce type 2 diabetes risk.

"This is often thought to be due to caffeine's ability to boost fat metabolism or the glucose-regulating effects of polyphenols (plant-derived chemicals)."

"Our new findings linking coffee to endocannabinoids," she adds, "offer alternative explanations worthy of further study."

Drinking more coffee was also found to increase metabolites from the androsteroid system. This infers that coffee speeds up the excretion of steroids. And, because steroids are involved in a number of conditions — notably cancers — coffee could, potentially, play a part here, too.

This study was the first to have demonstrated such a depth of metabolic interaction between coffee and the endocannabinoid system. No doubt these new learnings will form the foundations of future research into a range of conditions.

However, more work will be needed to understand whether the observed changes in metabolites were due to caffeine or one of the myriad other compounds in those cups of delicious black gold.​

TheThriftDrifter

Land of the long vapor cloud
Interestingly, the effect of coffee consumption on the endocannabinoid system was the opposite to cannabis use: endocannabinoid neurotransmitters decreased with the consumption of eight cups per day, but levels are increased by cannabis use.

If this is true, then it might be possible to lower ones cannabis tolerance with coffee?

TheThriftDrifter,
Reactions: idboehman

idboehman

Me, I am a coffee snob 100%

Used to have a single cup espresso machine much like yourself, nothing fancy but I learnt how to drive it and with freshly roasted, ground beans, I could make better coffee than most cafes in town(which spoiled going out for coffee)

I have a friend who has a small home based coffee roasting business, he makes amazing espresso from beans he imports by the sackful.

Sad thing is, it made me a coffee snob, but even worse I have had to give up consuming caffeine due to ill health.

Decaf just ain't quite the same.

Coffee is amazing.

I have some (really old at this point) decaf from Chromatic that tasted pretty great from what I remember. But yeah, decaf isn't the same especially when your body is kind of anticipating that caffeine stimulation. Kind of like drinking non-alcoholic beer, something just feels like it's ... missing ...

If you're not barred from all caffeine, good decaf definitely exists! At least, out here in the bay area I've seen decaf options at many "third wave" roasters. There's also the Laurina species that is naturally low in caffeine! I've not seen it at local roasters around me though and when I briefly checked online for it, it was super expensive ($31 for 10oz!! :o) And then there's always the rabbit hole that is tea... :nod:

Oh yesssss! I'm almost as much into coffee as I am cannabis:love:
Whole beans,organic preferably single origin. V60 when I have the time,in the morning my trusty handbuilt dutch Moccamaster does the honors almost as well. I like bright and fruity like Ethiopians and Kenyans or chocolate-y,round ones like bourbons.
Recently I met a Colombian guy that moved to the next town over that does small batches from small mountain farms. His stuff is amazing. We talked coffee for hours. He gave me samples of stuff he's testing. It was almost like meeting a grower-buddy,but instead of buds he has beans. Same passion,same nerdy intensity. I dig it:nod:
My girl still rolls her eyes as I weigh out the beans (because I don't trust the grinder! yes,every time!),wet the filter and tare out the scales. Buuut does concede that I make good coffee...although she'll still happily drink instant:rolleyes:

a coffee lover after my own heart! V60s intimidated me to begin with because I'd read they were much more finicky about your technique than other pour over devices (Chemex, Melita plastic, Beehouse ceramic), but I saw a video by Scott Rao on how he makes coffee with a V60 and it seemed very approachable!

We have a Moccamaster and Baratza Virtuoso in the office but it's since nobody cares to weigh the coffee and the beans we use are super dark roasted Costco bulk 3lb bags, it's pretty average. Definitely better than the keurig we have though. The biggest thing though is nobody makes a new pot after killing one! So I tend to just overcaffeinate at home before heading in. I can enjoy my light roasts there too and not be stuck with dark roast only.

I used to get single origins from Verve but my palate isn't "refined" enough to notice the differences so I switched to blends because they're cheaper and theoretically more consistent so I can dial in my technique more easily. I definitely want to start exploring single origins again though! Might have to see if I can get a sampler of stuff from around here and attempt my own cupping.

As far as loved ones drinking instant.... I can relate. My parents will drink whatever coffee is put in front of them, regardless of how it tastes. My mom will even microwave an old cup from the day before :ugh: We went on a family vacation out of the country recently (first time everyone was able to get time off at the same time in a while) and it was a little wild experiencing coffee in different areas. In Ireland they mostly seemed to drink instant, french press, or an espresso pod machine. Maybe a moka pot. I had some instant for the first time while out there and it wasn't bad but it wasn't what I would call good in any way shape or form. In Copenhagen at least, the place we stayed had a moka pot so I got to learn how to use one of those to avoid the dreaded instant! Definitely an interesting experience and I can see why they tend to be a staple in kitchens. The time involved was a bit much for me considering you need to keep your eye on the pot to make sure it's not spurting out if you have the temperature too hot.

I know what you mean.

There is some kind of parallel between coffee and cannabis.

My friends and I have always referred to coffee + a joint (or bowl/vape/whatever your method of choice) as a "hippy speedball" lol. It's one of my favorite ways to start the weekend.

proceeds_the_weedian

a coffee lover after my own heart! V60s intimidated me to begin with because I'd read they were much more finicky about your technique than other pour over devices (Chemex, Melita plastic, Beehouse ceramic), but I saw a video by Scott Rao on how he makes coffee with a V60 and it seemed very approachable!

Confession: Except for a bodum wave-style the V60 is the only pour-over I've brewed with myself. But I always go for the hand brewed option if a coffeeshop offers it and have for a good while. I feel like I know how a decent brew should taste though,and I'm able to get there most of the time. The margin for error makes it exciting:p But to me it's also a preference thing. Simple,robust equipment appeals to me. A pour over and goose neck is elegant in the same way a vapcap is.
The tactile and ritual nature of hand brewing is also a parallel to cannabis-feels very similar to rolling/loading a joint,bowl or vape.

I used to get single origins from Verve but my palate isn't "refined" enough to notice the differences so I switched to blends because they're cheaper and theoretically more consistent so I can dial in my technique more easily. I definitely want to start exploring single origins again though! Might have to see if I can get a sampler of stuff from around here and attempt my own cupping.

To me,buying single origin is more about the kind of local entrepreneurs I like,what kind of agriculture I believe in and how I'd like international trade to be. I really want the maximal amount of my money ending up in the (almost always dirt poor, third world) farmer's pocket.
It's also a great way of training you palate and learning about what you like in a coffee. After 5-6 years of being a "coffee guy" I've at least been able to fool myself into thinking I'm tasting the differences between the same beans from different terroirs.
Having said that,yeah shit is expensive...but the price helps me limit the amount of coffee consumed most days.:lol:

My friends and I have always referred to coffee + a joint (or bowl/vape/whatever your method of choice) as a "hippy speedball" lol. It's one of my favorite ways to start the weekend.

Those who know....know. A classic combination of molecules:nod: And from the sound of the above article the name is very fitting from a biochemical view too. Funny "coincidence" that...

Last edited:

idboehman

Been sipping on Verve's 1950 blend this morning while puffing on a Cherry Pie 510 Heavy Hitters cart. The cart tastes pretty sweet, almost artificial tasting, not a huge fan really. Also no idea if I just have a wack tolerance or what but it doesn't seem to do all that much for me. Gonna have to work out how best to rig up my underdog in the living room so I can vape some flower out here as well. Coffee is delicious though!

Confession: Except for a bodum wave-style the V60 is the only pour-over I've brewed with myself. But I always go for the hand brewed option if a coffeeshop offers it and have for a good while. I feel like I know how a decent brew should taste though,and I'm able to get there most of the time. The margin for error makes it exciting:p But to me it's also a preference thing. Simple,robust equipment appeals to me. A pour over and goose neck is elegant in the same way a vapcap is.
The tactile and ritual nature of hand brewing is also a parallel to cannabis-feels very similar to rolling/loading a joint,bowl or vape.

I totally feel you on the relation between hand brewing and preparing a session. I mean, they both have grinders as essential parts of the ritual :D I've been really interested in a lever espresso machine since it's a more "hands on" way of making espresso that really appeals the the side of me that like fixed gear bicycles and vapes like the MFLB.

To me,buying single origin is more about the kind of local entrepreneurs I like,what kind of agriculture I believe in and how I'd like international trade to be. I really want the maximal amount of my money ending up in the (almost always dirt poor, third world) farmer's pocket.
It's also a great way of training you palate and learning about what you like in a coffee. After 5-6 years of being a "coffee guy" I've at least been able to fool myself into thinking I'm tasting the differences between the same beans from different terroirs.
Having said that,yeah shit is expensive...but the price helps me limit the amount of coffee consumed most days.:lol:

Absolutely agree with supporting local entrepreneurs. There's a really small local coffee roaster down the street that I need to check out. I've bought beans there before to send to friends as part of a "care package" and it seemed they really leaned towards the dark roasts. Definitely something to check out though because while having coffee shipped to me is convenient, it does feel a little wasteful in terms of resources used to get it to me when I could just drive or even bike down the street to the local place if I find I enjoy their beans.

proceeds_the_weedian

Absolutely agree with supporting local entrepreneurs. There's a really small local coffee roaster down the street that I need to check out. I've bought beans there before to send to friends as part of a "care package" and it seemed they really leaned towards the dark roasts. Definitely something to check out though because while having coffee shipped to me is convenient, it does feel a little wasteful in terms of resources used to get it to me when I could just drive or even bike down the street to the local place if I find I enjoy their beans.

Hope you find a local roaster you vibe with! If the coffee isn't to your taste no amount of values and principles can make up for that. For me the values are something I like to keep in mind to temper the hedonism of the whole thing. Personally, I feel like (discounting espressos of course) the darker roasts hide more then they bring out. But then I am Scandinavian and might be biased towards our very light roasts. I know some "experts" dismiss the Nordic roasts as a cop out.:shrug:

YMMV but good coffee+ good cannabis is civilizing,IMO.:tup:

proceeds_the_weedian,
Reactions: macbill

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
25d4acbce9ac2541dc2f26d98ddf9323db9693203f6f80463c134426e10c4927.gif

idboehman

Been using my Cafelat Robot a lot recently, the routine cannot be beat for a purely espresso setup, all I have to do is boil a kettle, grind, tamp, pull shot, knock out puck, then clean up. No preheating, no waiting for boilers to warm up or group heads to warm up.

Top Bottom