The Extreme-Q Vaporizer

newtovaping101

Thanks for the advice, you guys. Even though you all have good ideas, I'm just going to play it safe and order a new silicone whip. This time I will NOT use soap to sterilize it when I receive it. I'll probably just sterilize it with hot water and I'll be good to go. When it inevitably gets dirty, I'll just order a new one!

As far as my PVC 3" mini whip for the balloons, I just rinsed it quickly in some hot water and right now it's drying. I'll admit it's kind of a pain in the ass to set up the bags on the mouthpiece correctly. The O-ring is annoying, so I'll probably just end up using a regular rubber band wrapped as tightly as I can get it.

I plan on using my Extreme Q for the first time in a couple hours! Since I'm a student with roommates, it is particularly awesome that the odor is less potent than bongs/pipes so I don't have to worry about them smelling anything (I also have a smoking buddy). As a first time vaper, I am beyond excited! :rockon:

Last edited:

DenverNugs

Dr. Soxhlet

SOLO Vaporized Cannabis is my Best Medicine
Arizer has a new all glass minwhip/bag combination that is a big improvement. You can get it with a couple of bags for $20 on Ebay. I know money's tight for a college student, but it's a nice upgrade, as is the DDave mod of course. Let me run over to Ebay and grab a link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231863831225?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Yes, my favorite way to use the EQ now. I just put the balloon and adaptor in my D020 bubbler for really cool smooth hits.

dabears847

I've been searching for a bag valve and found this one on amazon, thoughts? Looks like stock hose will fit right on and has easy on/off valve and quick connect fittings for mouthpiece .
Camelbak HydroLinkTM Filter Adapter,

About one month into owning the extreme q and it has been great. Thank you to everyone for the information provided. I upgraded the first bowl by drilling out the center, then upgraded to 18m female bowl on ebay, then kept everything else stock. Works well for me...

Hiya! Noob here, with a question. *HOW DO I MAKE MY NEW EXTREME-Q WORK??!*

(Sorry for the shouting, but that's how frustrated I am right now.)

I got my new Extreme-Q from Aroma-Tek.com, because the price was nice...! I followed all the instructions in the booklet, and backed that up by watching a YouTube from TorontoVaporizer, got everything ready, set it to 200 degrees for the first attempt, and...nothing. Not even wispy. I could taste it, kinda, but absolutely no vape! Waah! Went as high as 220, still nothing! The herb had been "used" though...brown and no THC left...?

So any advice from anyone here would be completely appreciated, cuz I'm stymied...

DDave

Vape Wizard
Accessory Maker
Hiya! Noob here, with a question. *HOW DO I MAKE MY NEW EXTREME-Q WORK??!*

(Sorry for the shouting, but that's how frustrated I am right now.)

I got my new Extreme-Q from Aroma-Tek.com, because the price was nice...! I followed all the instructions in the booklet, and backed that up by watching a YouTube from TorontoVaporizer, got everything ready, set it to 200 degrees for the first attempt, and...nothing. Not even wispy. I could taste it, kinda, but absolutely no vape! Waah! Went as high as 220, still nothing! The herb had been "used" though...brown and no THC left...?

So any advice from anyone here would be completely appreciated, cuz I'm stymied...

Welcome!

First question, do you preheat glass and vape?

Suggest preheat 15 mins at desired temp... both EQ and cyclone bowl. Then load herb and vape.

Next is grind, EQ stock likes a finer grind.

:rockon:

Welcome!

First question, do you preheat glass and vape?

Suggest preheat 15 mins at desired temp... both EQ and cyclone bowl. Then load herb and vape.

Next is grind, EQ stock likes a finer grind.

:rockon:
Thanks so much, DDave, for both the advice and the "welcome!". That is, in fact, the one thing I *didn't* do. I only do "wake 'n' bakes" on the weekend, and (after spilling the first cyclone bowl) did NOT give it the 15 minutes, because it was getting later and later. Will do as you suggest tomorrow...thanks! :)

Hey Anna,
Sorry to hear it's not working as expected. Most of us pack the little screen rather than rely on weed flying around the cyclone bowl; looks pretty, but could be why you have the "wispies" ? Just my $.02 from a seemingly endless supply...;)
Thanks for the response, BadDog No. Yeah, mine was pretty packed, very little flying weed. I think that DDave's suggestion of preheating the EQ/cyclone bowl for 15 minutes will solve the problem; will try that tomorrow. It's a gorgeous piece of machinery, all mod cons, but when I got no vapor I almost cried...! But decided to use the ill-advised FEZ purchase (don't buy FEZ, they kinda work but they're crap; it was my first vaporizer so I didn't know better) that I made a few months ago instead, and suddenly didn't feel like crying! :)

And my sincere thanks to Stu, who clarified the forum's protocol for me! ;)

Last edited:
DDave, BadDog No, *anybody*...more help, please? I did as DDave suggested, heated both EQ and cyclone bowl for 15 minutes at 210 degrees Celsius (the video from TorontoVaporizer suggested that as a good heat level), and still almost next to nothing! Maybe just a little wisp, but not even sure about that. And again, the herb *was* spent/brown, so something happened, but nothing like the giant cloud of vape I was expecting. Is the temp setting wrong, maybe? Everything seemed like it was sealed properly, so I don't think it just seeped out elsewhere...

I'm just kind of at wits end. I mean, the spent herb proves that it heated it...and the glass felt that hot...but in the end, I just filled up the yukky FEZ again. It's really a lovely piece of gear but, um, I'd really like the desired results! Again, since I just use it on the weekends, please feel free to give me a week's worth of suggestions. Oh, and I'm using the long whip with it...would that make any difference? Should I try the balloon instead? And thanks in advance for any advice! :)

DDave

Vape Wizard
Accessory Maker
DDave, BadDog No, *anybody*...more help, please? I did as DDave suggested, heated both EQ and cyclone bowl for 15 minutes at 210 degrees Celsius (the video from TorontoVaporizer suggested that as a good heat level), and still almost next to nothing! Maybe just a little wisp, but not even sure about that. And again, the herb *was* spent/brown, so something happened, but nothing like the giant cloud of vape I was expecting. Is the temp setting wrong, maybe? Everything seemed like it was sealed properly, so I don't think it just seeped out elsewhere...

I'm just kind of at wits end. I mean, the spent herb proves that it heated it...and the glass felt that hot...but in the end, I just filled up the yukky FEZ again. It's really a lovely piece of gear but, um, I'd really like the desired results! Again, since I just use it on the weekends, please feel free to give me a week's worth of suggestions. Oh, and I'm using the long whip with it...would that make any difference? Should I try the balloon instead? And thanks in advance for any advice! :)
@Anna Thetical

One thing comes to mind immediately... a cracked heater cover.

Others, expecially @CuckFumbustion , @kellya86 can advise on how best to check....

EDIT: Include @Dr. Soxhlet in the list above!

Last edited:

BadDog No

I'm just frothing at the mouth here, but maybe your draw technique isn't aggressive enough? Luckily you can just turn on the fan and see if that helps. So here's what I'd check. Do another try with my recipe: ;)
!. preheat of course, maybe use the fan on 1 to help?
2. Pack the shit out of the domed screen. seriously...Ok, at least more than what you're doing already.
3. Run a bag at, yes, 428...Normally I tempstep 392, 410, 428, but you want to see if this works so hit it big and hot; 428 and fan 3. If you don't see visible vapor, then yeah, something's wrong. Check it anyway; if you get a nice taste, maybe your weed just doesn't "cloud". Or it's possible your expectations are unrealistic as far as clouds go; weed doesn't cloud like ejuice. Not much I know, but that's all I got....Good Luck!

kellya86

Herb gardener...
@Anna Thetical her is one of the guides I wrote for other who were struggling with the Eq, I hope it helps...

If not let me know and we will get you sorted....

Eq guide...

1. Get home and run to your Eq in anticipation of getting high, turn on and set to 200 at fan 1 for at good ten min's with cyclone, elbow and whip attached, not the basket screen....

2. While waiting for the preheat, load your basket screen about 2 thirds full with a medium grind, and lightly tamped with the blunt end of the Eq stir tool....

3. After the preheating is done (elbow is fucking hot), turn fan off, remove elbow and insert loaded basket....

4. Turn temp up to 210 and wait again, this time just a minute for the herb to heat soak a little, soon as you see the vapour condensing in the elbow, your ready to draw...

5. Start your long slow draw, after about 4 seconds of draw, you should begin to see vapour streaming through the elbow, keep going until you have had enough, hold in for a bit, breath in a little fresh air to agitate (helps absorption), and slowly release...

6. Pull out elbow and stir, retamp, turn up to 220, give a minute and go again, then get 1 last go at 230, maybe even 1 more at 235...

This should work.... good luck...

@Anna Thetical her is one of the guides I wrote for other who were struggling with the Eq, I hope it helps...

If not let me know and we will get you sorted....

Thanks in advance, kellya86...! Will try this on Saturday! :)

I'm just frothing at the mouth here, but maybe your draw technique isn't aggressive enough? Luckily you can just turn on the fan and see if that helps. So here's what I'd check. Do another try with my recipe: ;)
!. preheat of course, maybe use the fan on 1 to help?
2. Pack the shit out of the domed screen. seriously...Ok, at least more than what you're doing already.
3. Run a bag at, yes, 428...Normally I tempstep 392, 410, 428, but you want to see if this works so hit it big and hot; 428 and fan 3. If you don't see visible vapor, then yeah, something's wrong. Check it anyway; if you get a nice taste, maybe your weed just doesn't "cloud". Or it's possible your expectations are unrealistic as far as clouds go; weed doesn't cloud like ejuice. Not much I know, but that's all I got....Good Luck!

And thanks to you as well, BadDog No! :)

kellya86

Herb gardener...
@Anna Thetical if that guide doesn't work for you, there is other things to try....

Feel free to pm me if you need some one on one....I'm always happy to help someone get to grips with the eq....

If all else fails, like @DDave suggested, we may have to look into possible eq fault's.... but fear not, the eq is immortal and easily fixed....

And I promise when you get it working for you, the eq will blow you away....

I will also just say that lighting plays a big part in seeing vapour....

Warm yellow filament light doesn't help, cool blue led or daylight helps show up vapour...

machine.screw

Also if your herbs are not dry enough it may not produce visible vapor. VapeCritic has an excellent video on how to make sure your herbs are set up right
. Also on temps
he shows comparisons between the volcano the EQ and one other I forget the name.

CuckFumbustion

Lo and Behold! The transformative power of Vapor.

Heard you were having difficulty and the other regular EQers here are trying to help. @kellya86 's guide covers most of the basics for a solid session. @DDave himself came up with the mod that is an upgrade for glass bowls, wands and screens.

Say, Are you cyclone or elbow packing? If you are elbow packing, try a fine grind that has had time to air dry out of the jar say over 15m. Try elbow packing with the EQ wand to tamp down the materials into the basket screen. I usually place the basket screen in whatever glass wand, or in your case perhaps the stock glass elbow. And firmly but evenly press the materials into the basket.
Think of how a barista fills an espresso shot, if that helps.:D

Elbow packing allows for more concentrated heat and for all the materials to vape together evenly. With a cyclone session, there is less concentrated heat and the materials are usually moving about instead of fixed like an elbow pack. So less control if you are going for visible vapor much less those cumulonimbus clouds that look good on camera. BTW I modded out my EQ, so it gets me there with less fussing with stock. But it is achievable under the right conditions.

You want the materials to absorb the heat in the cyclone bowl. so let it 'steep' for a while. If you are having difficulty, try 15m at 210c. At some point a little condensation will form in the elbow/wand. Take a slow draw, to allow the EQ to keep it's heat while you vaporize. The EQ does a great job at keeping it's desired temp. But you don't want it to keep ramping up to do this for better vaporization. So let the first draw be slow until you get the knack. Once you pulled slow once, you can go at your own pace and should have vapor goodness, if everything else is right.

All the other points everybody else made about preheating the glass makes all the difference. Think how well a preheated oven works. :nod:

Also the transformer going into the EQ unit works better plugged in for a long period of time. Before I turn on the EQ to preheat, i'll have the transformer already warmed up. I also leave my EQ plugged in 24/7 generally and turn on the heater as soon as I get home to heat soak the bowl.

You can heat soak the EQ bowl at 260c for a burst, then power it down to your desired temp being 210c. Then load your materials. Never accidently put your materials in at 260c (or 230c) :uhoh: in a good setup. Around 230c is possible combustion under the right/wrong conditions.

Last edited:
Heard you were having difficulty and the other regular EQers here are trying to help. @kellya86 's guide covers most of the basics for a solid session. @DDave himself came up with the mod that is an upgrade for glass bowls, wands and screens.

Say, Are you cyclone or elbow packing? If you are elbow packing, try a fine grind that has had time to air dry out of the jar say over 15m. Try elbow packing with the EQ wand to tamp down the materials into the basket screen. I usually place the basket screen in whatever glass wand, or in your case perhaps the stock glass elbow. And firmly but evenly press the materials into the basket.
Think of how a barista fills an espresso shot, if that helps.:D

Elbow packing allows for more concentrated heat and for all the materials to vape together evenly. With a cyclone session, there is less concentrated heat and the materials are usually moving about instead of fixed like an elbow pack. So less control if you are going for visible vapor much less those cumulonimbus clouds that look good on camera. BTW I modded out my EQ, so it gets me there with less fussing with stock. But it is achievable under the right conditions.

You want the materials to absorb the heat in the cyclone bowl. so let it 'steep' for a while. If you are having difficulty, try 15m at 210c. At some point a little condensation will form in the elbow/wand. Take a slow draw, to allow the EQ to keep it's heat while you vaporize. The EQ does a great job at keeping it's desired temp. But you don't want it to keep ramping up to do this for better vaporization. So let the first draw be slow until you get the knack. Once you pulled slow once, you can go at your own pace and should have vapor goodness, if everything else is right.

All the other points everybody else made about preheating the glass makes all the difference. Think how well a preheated oven works. :nod:

Also the transformer going into the EQ unit works better plugged in for a long period of time. Before I turn on the EQ to preheat, i'll have the transformer already warmed up. I also leave my EQ plugged in 24/7 generally and turn on the heater as soon as I get home to heat soak the bowl.

You can heat soak the EQ bowl at 260c for a burst, then power it down to your desired temp being 210c. Then load your materials. Never accidently put your materials in at 260c (or 230c) :uhoh: in a good setup. Around 230c is possible combustion under the right/wrong conditions.

CuckFumbustion (may I call you CF?)...many thanks for the response, but now I'm a little confused (natural state for me...).

I kind of just did it the way I saw it done in the CanadianVaporizer video...I put herb directly into the cyclone bowl, packed it a little with the glass wand, and as stated above, no success either time, but spent herb. (And yes, the herb's definitely dry, not wet.)

However, the "basket screen" that both you and Kellya86 (and thank you for your suggestions, Kellya86) is something that I think I may not have. In fact, the manual that Arizer provides doesn't mention anything about a basket screen, and the annotated picture on the first page shows/reads "11. One package of replacement Stainless Steel filter screens.". The package I got was *one* replacement screen, and a screen that looked like a replacement for the screen that fits into the bottom of "2. Whip/Hose with glass end and adapter." Is that the basket screen you both refer to? Do I just drop that into the cyclone bowl so that it sits on the regular screen? And I guess I'm just not getting what you mean by "elbow packing"...?

The rest of both of your instructions seem clear enough re: temperature settings/light affectiing seeing the vape cloud/leaving it plugged in. (I haven't unplugged it since I first plugged it in.) Sorry to be such a dope (of a different variety) about this. But again, thanks to all of you folks continuing to walk me through it.:D

YungLeaner

CuckFumbustion (may I call you CF?)...many thanks for the response, but now I'm a little confused (natural state for me...).

I kind of just did it the way I saw it done in the CanadianVaporizer video...I put herb directly into the cyclone bowl, packed it a little with the glass wand, and as stated above, no success either time, but spent herb. (And yes, the herb's definitely dry, not wet.)

However, the "basket screen" that both you and Kellya86 (and thank you for your suggestions, Kellya86) is something that I think I may not have. In fact, the manual that Arizer provides doesn't mention anything about a basket screen, and the annotated picture on the first page shows/reads "11. One package of replacement Stainless Steel filter screens.". The package I got was *one* replacement screen, and a screen that looked like a replacement for the screen that fits into the bottom of "2. Whip/Hose with glass end and adapter." Is that the basket screen you both refer to? Do I just drop that into the cyclone bowl so that it sits on the regular screen? And I guess I'm just not getting what you mean by "elbow packing"...?

The rest of both of your instructions seem clear enough re: temperature settings/light affectiing seeing the vape cloud/leaving it plugged in. (I haven't unplugged it since I first plugged it in.) Sorry to be such a dope (of a different variety) about this. But again, thanks to all of you folks continuing to walk me through it.:D
The basket screen is the thing that looks like a little mesh hat. It holds a lot less weed than the cyclone bowl. The cyclone bowl sucks, honestly. I never use it. Pack weed into the little basket screen, stick that into the glass connector of the elbow joine (the elbow shaped glass piece) and take hits like that after waiting 15-30 minutes for ideal heat up. You'll get better taste clouds and efficiency

Dr. Soxhlet

SOLO Vaporized Cannabis is my Best Medicine
@Anna Thetical

One thing comes to mind immediately... a cracked heater cover.

Others, expecially @CuckFumbustion , @kellya86 can advise on how best to check....

EDIT: Include @Dr. Soxhlet in the list above!
Don't know if I agree with the cracked heater cover theory.
When I use the balloon setup I just crank 'er up to the 500F max and let 'er rip. Fan level 1-2 or 3 depending on my mood. Makes the most sense to me for this application.
I never worry about producing clouds this way.
Works every time.

Last edited:

CuckFumbustion

Lo and Behold! The transformative power of Vapor.
Instead of putting herb into the cyclone bowl, pack it into the basket screen in the elbow joint. Pack it in there densely. Insert it into the cyclone bowl as normal. Turn on to your desired heat setting and let it sit for five or even ten minutes. Hit away....you will get bong-sized hits so prepare yourself!

Personally this is the only way I use the V Tower....the cyclone bowl doesn't work great for me.

KfxHQet.jpg
I actually straw draw the materials into the basket. put the screen in the elbow or wand and draw through the whip then tamp down the materials with the EQ wand.

machine.screw

I always do elbow packing. can get up 200mg in the dome/basket screens (unless I am doing a bag do I load into the cyclone bowel). It is weird having the top of your bowel upside down. If you just came form pipes and bongs

Top Bottom