The Extreme-Q Vaporizer

Ganjafly

the elbow pack metod is good for drawing but is imperfect mode . I let the temp at 200 but when in use i put it at 180-185.it's ok for a small personal vaporization.I think the elbow pack can be improved whit my scheme or similar see it, this by reducing the distance between the spot and the grass and optimizing the airflow ,and the pre-heating

Ganjafly,

oldiebutgoodie

Apostle, Church of Vaporization
@VapeNStone -

I encourage you take the time to browse this thread. Yes, it's long, so maybe take it 5-10 pages at a time. The replies you've received above are all good, but pretty much everyone here agrees that temps, methods, technique, fan settings, etc. are very much a matter of personal preference. Even the herb you have and the grind and the amount in the bowl, can make a difference. Part of the great fun with the Q is its flexibility, so by all means experiment. You'll find a wealth of ideas, many you'd probably not thought of, in this thread. Just my :2c:

All that said . . . I only use the elbow-pack with the whip, and I also find a higher temp ~200 is required, plus stirring. With the bag, Fan 1 actually provides more Cyclone action in the bowl; think of it as a slow percolating cook. Fan 3 adds oxygen and with it heat and it blows through the herb directly; faster cooking and delivery. IME the amount in the bowl is a factor. If Fan 3 is used with a small load, it will blow right through it pushing herb to the sides; frequent stirring is needed. So I use Fan 2 or even Fan 1 for a small load. With a full load, Fan 3 is needed to push the air through and to do sufficient cooking. With a medium load I usually use Fan 2. How large a load I use depends upon both how much vapor I want plus the herb potency, and so I may therefore adjust the fan speed accordingly. Some folks just want to keep it simple with a one-size-fits-all method, others like to fine-tune their method like the above or otherwise. Different strokes . . . ;)

oldiebutgoodie,
Reactions: pakalolo

bradm23

I was wondering if anyone here uses water filtration and bags some how? Lately it seems as if my lungs have been getting irritated. I typically use 190c, preheated with the cyclone bowl, blowing up bags.

If a water filtration works with bags, can someone please provide me a link to one.

Thanks

bradm23,

Purpl3_Haz3

On a Permanent Vakation
I was wondering if anyone here uses water filtration and bags some how? Lately it seems as if my lungs have been getting irritated. I typically use 190c, preheated with the cyclone bowl, blowing up bags.

If a water filtration works with bags, can someone please provide me a link to one.

Thanks

This is very possible :-)

Take your bag for the EQ, and use a small piece of whip to connect the bags mouth piece to a glass elbow. Now you can put the elbow, with a vape filled bag attached, onto a bong with an 18mm female GONG inlet.

Hope this makes sense...pics and/or video can be added.

:peace:

Purpl3_Haz3,

vape4life

Banned for life
This is very possible :-)

Take your bag for the EQ, and use a small piece of whip to connect the bags mouth piece to a glass elbow. Now you can put the elbow, with a vape filled bag attached, onto a bong with an 18mm female GONG inlet.

Hope this makes sense...pics and/or video can be added.

Great explanation... i find it almost a requirement with bags since they can be harsh and dry out your throat. You can even just stick the end in your bong, the actual cushioning of the bag at the end makes the seal, albeit not as good as an elbow.

vape4life,

Purpl3_Haz3

On a Permanent Vakation
Great explanation... i find it almost a requirement with bags since they can be harsh and dry out your throat. You can even just stick the end in your bong, the actual cushioning of the bag at the end makes the seal, albeit not as good as an elbow.

Glad it made sense to someone! Hopefully Brad gets it too.

I would take a pic, but I can't find a bag for the life of me :-/ Haven't used bags in so long now! But, its the same as connecting a bag to the EQ itself, just using the other elbow, or at least removing the screen from the elbow, and putting it in the bong. I used to use the method you mentioned, sticking it in the downstem, and occasionally sticking the whip itself into the downstem, both of which worked well.

oldiebutgoodie

I do that. It's very simple. After blowing the bag I simply remove the elbow screen and then fit the elbow into my bubbler's GonG joint. This will work with any piece with an 18/19 female joint, or if your piece is a 14mm, with an adapter. I suggest you try dropping the temp to 180C.

. . .i find it almost a requirement with bags since they can be harsh and dry out your throat.

Do you mean you find the bag vapor to be more harsh and dry than using the whip? If so, very interesting - why do you think it's that way?

oldiebutgoodie,

vape4life

Banned for life
I do that. It's very simple. After blowing the bag I simply remove the elbow screen and then fit the elbow into my bubbler's GonG joint. This will work with any piece with an 18/19 female joint, or if your piece is a 14mm, with an adapter. I suggest you try dropping the temp to 180C.

Do you mean you find the bag vapor to be more harsh and dry than using the whip? If so, very interesting - why do you think it's that way?

Absolutely, i'm not sure, I think maybe it's drier due to the forced fan? But I also have my Volcano buddy always whining about dryness and having a dry back of the throat. I can only attribute it to bags.

vape4life,

TNK

I agree with the bags drying out your throat, but a good glass piece takes care of that.

TNK,

oldiebutgoodie

Absolutely, i'm not sure, I think maybe it's drier due to the forced fan? But I also have my Volcano buddy always whining about dryness and having a dry back of the throat. I can only attribute it to bags.

I agree with the bags drying out your throat, but a good glass piece takes care of that.

Very interesting; thanks. I'm kinda caught between the proverbial rock-and-hard-place (this is what happens when you become an oldie; just wait), where I'm both vulnerable to dry sore throat and my bronchial tubes get irritated by the dryness and a lot of drag - so I started using the bag more frequently over the whip. My glass is pretty good (an 11-slit inline) and it does help with the dryness, and of course that eliminates the drag.

While I know that I'll be happily using my Q (and glass) with the bag on various occasions, the real solution I see in my future is . . . the Cloud. @vape4life, I think we're gonna have a lot of company. ;)

oldiebutgoodie,
Reactions: Bluntcrush

TNK

That's a nice set up oldie, the whole bronchial tube thing clogging up is what got me into vaping. Splitting my time between the 'surfer and Q has fixed that problem for now. Vape4life is right vape for life!

Wouldn't be nice to have an ice catcher on a inline or bubbler to cool things down.

TNK,

oldiebutgoodie

Wouldn't be nice to have an ice catcher on a inline or bubbler to cool things down.

I'm not sure what you mean exactly by an ice catcher - other than a tube with ice pinches? I've never seen a bubbler that can be equipped for ice.

I sit my bubbler in an ice bucket (just a little tupperware container), which keeps the glass and water very cold. I don't know how that compares to vapor actually moving around ice on its way up a tube; I would think the tube method would provide more vapor contact and therefore cooling. May not be enough difference to be noticeable, though.

oldiebutgoodie,

TNK

ice pinch that's what i meant to say, oh well
I like your idea of the ice bucket i'll try that too

TNK,

peterchen

Hey, do you guys have experience or tips for using the EQ with hash?

here's what i do:
So far, I break up some moroccan into small pieces and mix it with enough abv (reason for using abv instead of fresh weed, is that i usually only use hash when i run out of fresh herb) that it fills the cyclone bowl. 220 degrees celsius seems to work best for me, but i guess it depends on the type/quality of hash. Vaping it works pretty well and i get super dense clouds, but i will clog the elbow screen.

So, i was thinking about maybe using a cotton ball or something similar to pack the hash into. Anyone doing that?

peterchen,

Persona Non Grata

turn on, tune in, hulk out
I would chop up the hash up as fine as you can, I like to use coffee grinder. then elbow pack with a little bit of weed (or shake or abv) then add a layer of hash, then more weed on top, a little hash sandwich. only use as much weed as have to, so you can really taste the hash. it works even better with oil

picture.php

peterchen

i just tried just putting it between two cotton balls and it worked like charm; this way vaping hash is cleaner and easier than weed

peterchen,
I would chop up the hash up as fine as you can, I like to use coffee grinder. then elbow pack with a little bit of weed (or shake or abv) then add a layer of hash, then more weed on top, a little hash sandwich. only use as much weed as have to, so you can really taste the hash. it works even better with oil
doesn't the oil drip down into the cyclone bowl?

VapeNStone,

Vermontoker

hey everyone. not new to the forums but finally made an account:) There is so much great info on here. I love my extreme have had two(sold one awhile back and realized what a mistake that was and got one very soon after). I vape my full melt bubble the same way as stated above layer it like a sandwich and works great and like 185 190c once you get it warmed up nice. have iso hash i wanna try next just havent yet....will let everyone know how it goes and what worked for me.
peace

Purpl3_Haz3

On a Permanent Vakation
hey everyone. not new to the forums but finally made an account:) There is so much great info on here. I love my extreme have had two(sold one awhile back and realized what a mistake that was and got one very soon after). I vape my full melt bubble the same way as stated above layer it like a sandwich and works great and like 185 190c once you get it warmed up nice. have iso hash i wanna try next just havent yet....will let everyone know how it goes and what worked for me.
peace

Welcome to FC Vermontoker!

I will say, I've vaped QWISO (quick was Iso hash) in the EQ and it was great! the bowl seemed to last quite a while! The flavor of it was great...I used the same herb to pack the bowl with, that I used to make the qwiso with(TrainWreck). I packed it as you stated, sandwiched between two layers of herb. It required a bit of stirring, IIRC, but not an excessive amount. I can't recall what temp I used though. Let us know how it goes for you! :)

m0sh

Singer Song Writer Stoner
doesn't the oil drip down into the cyclone bowl?
nah mate its gets dry and black

I don't use hash but I use the resin I get at 220C with the elbow method...I also use the abv with it...I don't like the taste of this or hash...I prefer weed in the elbow at 195-205 ;)

m0sh,

eyesocket

Hey,

I've been browsing this thread for what seems like forever. I've tried searching through it, but I always get distracted ... haha! I decided to start back at the beginning but I'm impatient and am going to ask a couple of questions and hope that somebody feels sorry for me and gives me some answers.

Anyway, I've only had the Extreme-Q for about 2 weeks. It's my first vaporizer. I am a daily, heavy user [medical], but it was only joints. My lungs were complaining, as well as my wife [she hates the smell]. I had never tried a vaporizer before, or even a bong! All my pot smoking friends are just joint guys too. So, that being said, I don't know jack-shit about vaping. Actually, after 20 years of joints, I can barely hand-roll a decent joint either - haha!

I've been experimenting with the unit, with the help of this thread and youtube. My results have varied from excellent to lousy. It has been very inconsistent.
I think my inconsistent results are due to how firmly the herb is packed. I'm currently using the elbow pack method with bags. I've had much more consistent results with bags, although I have experimented with the wand.

Here's my questions. They've probably been answered somewhere in this forum, but I haven't found them. If someone could answer these for me, I would appreciate it. Links are fine too.

1. How tightly are you packing the screen in the elbow? I'm trying 0.10gr loosely packed. Tight packs don't seem to give off as much vapor. Am I wrong here?

2. What about when your using the bowl instead? Loosely dumped in, or tamped down?

3. It's supposed to be a 'cyclone' bowl. Should the herb be 'swirling about' when the fan is on high?

Thanks again. Great forum - lots of info - I hope I can contribute in the future.

EyeSocket

eyesocket,

Seek

Apprentice Daydreamer
1. Loosely packed seems the best for me too. Tight packing restricts airflow through herb and brings inconsistency.

2. I prefer cyclone bowl only for more people, half to full of herb don't pack.

3. The airflow there in cyclone-like. Doesn't have that much force to move it. If it moves it, it usualy ends up in place, where no airflow is, that's why loose packing is good.

Seek,

oldiebutgoodie

. . . hope that somebody feels sorry for me and gives me some answers.

Well, since you put it that way . . . :rolleyes:

1. How tightly are you packing the screen in the elbow? I'm trying 0.10gr loosely packed. Tight packs don't seem to give off as much vapor. Am I wrong here?

2. What about when your using the bowl instead? Loosely dumped in, or tamped down?

3. It's supposed to be a 'cyclone' bowl. Should the herb be 'swirling about' when the fan is on high?

Your first problem is probably that you're using the elbow pack with the bag. The pack is really intended for dense hits off the whip. IME the results are much better using the Cyclone with the bag.

But just fyi, the elbow pack should just be tight enough so that the herb doesn't fall out, just tapped down. It can be filled almost to its rim; when you gently press it down with your finger you'll create a slight concave shape. You want to use a fine grind, but not too fine and definitely not powder. After a few hits, the pack needs to be gently stirred because a hot spot tends to build in the center; that can be done with the glass stir stick or similar and then tapped down. Some also use Fan2 or Fan3 to aid in the pull. But again, this is whip method.

The Cyclone should definitely not be tamped down. That restricts the airflow and the cyclone effect. Once again, a fine grind but too much. And it's best that the herb be fully dried, but not dried out.

As far as the cyclone effect and the fan speed, that depends a lot of the size of load, which you determine based on how much vapor you want to produce and how far your particular herb stretches, i.e., it's potency. The way the cyclone effect works is that the elbow screen creates back-pressure into the bowl, and it's shape induces circulation. With a small or even medium load, it's possible that Fan 3 will just blow through the herb - you'll notice the herb being pushed to the sides. If you want that fast a delivery, stop once or twice and stir the bowl; also check if the elbow screen is clogged, and if so, clear it with the stir stick. As a rough guideline IME at least, I find that Fan1 works better with a small load, Fan2 with a medium load, and Fan3 with a larger load. Even with the small and medium loads, you should stir at least once (with a medium load I stir twice because I prefer one dense bag over two less dense bags). The load should never be beyond the bottom rim of the black teflon coating, and unless you're doing a group session, will usually be well below that. With a medium load you can usually get about 2 bags and with a large load maybe even 3 (the third will probably be thin). But again, this will vary with your technique and herb.

The Q is quite versatile. That allows the user to fine-tune their technique for exactly the desired result. But it also requires some experimentation. Just be methodical in how you go about it, trying this and that until you get where you want to be. Everyone is different.

Does that help?

oldiebutgoodie,
Reactions: Bluntcrush

Phajik

ok, I have tried searching the thread forever. Does anyone know the best place to order tubing in Canada. Somebody posted up a great place a while ago but I cant find the thread.

Phajik,
Top Bottom