The ethnobotanical thread

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
The hops were an 'okay' vaping experience. Personally I am a HUGE fan of hops, and hoppy beers in general (you should try one of my melt your face off IPAs)

At any rate, one thing I am going to investigate further is SAGE. From what I have read, sage is a good remedy for sweating. I have been suffering from hyperhidrosis for as long as I can remember. (I mean BAD) Ive been to the dermatologist who had little remedy for the severity of my hyperhidrosis (aside from localized botox injections) and some shit medication that I couldnt (wouldnt) tolerate - not to mention it didnt work.

Its so bad that I have to put a towel on my pillow at night when I go to sleep (even after a shower) my pillows get saturated with sweat, and while on my face/head its worst, I suffer from it pretty much from my head to my bellybutton. (It fuggin sucks)
Can anyone attest to the effectiveness of sage in a vape or as a homeopathic remedy? I initially got my vape for MJ purposes, but in reading about its other uses Im intrigued!

AGBeer,

nicelytoasted

Vaked Chemist
AGBeer

AFAIK, people have tried sage, chamomile, valerian root, and St. Johns Wort with mixed results. Perhaps a tea or tincture may help as well as vaping it.

nicelytoasted,
Reactions: Vapoleon

Euphoric_boner

Hey I'm a newbie. But can you really vape kava? If so, then in what state? (not state as in United States XD)

Euphoric_boner,

Vaporaper

I vote we revive this thread, still tons to talk about. Let's start with this....

"Anyone know the temp range it would be wise to start in when trying to vape Pedicularis densiflora (Indian Warrior), Pedicularis Groenlandica (Elephant's Head), and/or Pedicularis Racemosa (Parrot's Beak)?"

Vaporaper,

thedude27

I'll bump this one up. I have done probably 80% of the stuff listed here (before I had a vape). I gave up on the DMT compounds, as well as cacti, and shrooms after numerious hallucinatory trips with safer products. I also dont mess with anything that is SSRI (ie syrian rue) for safety reasons.

There are a few up there that I achieved effects with which I would say are good candidates to experiment with.

- wild dagga - you get a low level marijuana like effect from this stuff although smoking it is VERY harsh. Might be a good candidate, I think I still have an ounce or 2 laying around, but its old. I've done a bunch of this and it seemed safe. Also its a really pretty flower, so if you're into gardening would be good one to grow

- blue lotus - I dont like this stuff. I've done it in tea and had some effect and it was ok. I smoked lotus stamens before and had a difficult tight chest experience. I would approach this one with caution.

-Passion flower - is ok in tea sedative, kinda mild however the MUCH better sedative was Indian Warrior. That stuff is VERY strong so I would approach with caution, but it makes a really good tasting tea and is great if you have sleep issues(again careful with dose). One of the few I used up completely and would love to get more.

- Red poppy leaves - didnt see this one listed but is a tea staple for me, tastes good gives mild sedative effect would probably be good vape candidate

- Lagochillis inebrians, slightly better than passion flower not as good as indian warrior probably an ok vape candidate, but again approach with caution.

- wormwood - used to make my own absinthe, honestly I didnt really get effect from this stuff and from what I have heard you dont want to consume this in any qty. I would probably pass on this one.

- Sinicuichi - never got much effect (many claim lucid dreaming from this) and has lots of good sized twigs in it (basically think, your hedge by your house ground up). You would need to process it further to fit into a vape and IMO probably not worth it.

- opium poppy, tea vape smoke whatever, yes it works. Those of you with pods, a creative person would make puddy and go from there. Obviously its Addictive and illegal in many places.

- Kratom - pure awesomeness, I buy it by the kilo (commerical crushed leaf) and drink it as a tea regularly(like 2-3 times a week, its an acquired taste :) ). opiate like buzz. Vapeing would be a question, usually the dose is reasonable large for a vape but perhaps vaping the mitragynine out would make it possible. There are many extracts that might lend themselves to vaping. I have heard some effect from smoking, but ppl usually just go back to ingestion. I will get to this at some point. A few other things about it, You need to be careful with building a tolerance and addiction, although withdraws are not life threating I have heard they can be annoying. Some ppl actually use this to get off opiates.

tobacco rustica - grew one of these, its a really cool plant to grow and is extremely strong. You really need to be careful with this, nicotine is a lethal drug in the concentrations that this stuff has, which is not apparent since a lot of ppl smoke. This is different than that so approach slowly. This would definitely vape.

Wild lettuce, Lettuce Opium - very little effect, only got a small trial size so not a ton of experience with it but not much for me with what I have experienced.

Catnip - makes decent sedative tea, not nearly as good as indian warrior tho, wish it worked on my like it does on my cat. This would probably be lower on my list

Kava Kava - would probably be more enjoyable if it didnt make your throat numb :) But similiar buzz to alcohol. I would think vaping might be difficult(its basically like tree bark or wood in its natural form(its a plant root, think thick tree root to get an idea). I have had it as an extract (yellow paste type substance)), but I may give it a try in the vape. There would be a lot of smashing and pounding to get it from root form into vapeable product, probably some sort of extract or pre-ground would be a better bet. However I have found the preground isnt as potent. Its good in a coconut milkshake. Safety issue is that you should not drink alcohol while consuming kava.

- Salvia Diviniorum - Needs highish temps and I dont think I'd do salvia (this plant is a pretty easy grow, btw I used to have like 20 of them) this way because I'm sure my vape would hit the floor at least once in salvia stupor. I've pretty much done enough with this one :) and have been completely "lost" in a few salvia trips. Makes for good stories, but a few dozen times(for most ppl 1 time lol) is enough for me. You can get extract, normally I would either buy or make something in the neighborhood of 10X. That can get you there easily enough but not get you there too easily.

Ok I'm tired hopefully some of this helps ppl choose what to vape and what not to or at least where to start looking. When you do entheogen exploring you really need to go slow, its not like you are dealing with something well know like marijuana. Some of this stuff is capable of scaring you or making for a difficult time, so go slow :)

thedude27,

lepstadder

I gave up on the DMT compounds, as well as cacti, and shrooms after numerious hallucinatory trips with safer products.
What are safer than DMT, msuhrooms and cacti

Seriously

lepstadder,

thedude27

Yea I was thinking atropine when I said DMT (belladonna/datura/jimson weed) stuff in that list rather than the DMT. yea, I know DMT is safe . seriously.

thedude27,

lepstadder

atropine is def unsafe unless very very experienced, and that is an understatement

But as far as cacti mushies and DMT they are all "safe"

If you know what you are getting yourself into

I do like the Pedicularis densiflora

as well as other Pedicularis

They make decent smoke and great tea

lepstadder,

Euphoric_boner

WHat sort of effects do you feel from the Pedicularis Densiflora? Are they strong? I've heard they're strong. haha I just ordered an oz. :brow:

Euphoric_boner,

lepstadder

not too strong

it makes a good tea that goes well with the smoke

very relaxing, i wouldnt say "strong" but def present. lol

I like it alot

lepstadder,

greenbeard

Great info! Much appreciated.

I just received three herbal smoke blends from legalbuds.com...

Mystical Spirit Smoke
Ingredients: mexican damiana, lactuca virosa, artemesia vulgaris, passion vine, scotch broom tops, lavender, sage, spearmint.

Wild Greens
Wild dagga and capillarius herba enhanced and infused with an extract of mexican damiana, (leonus) and calea.

Sinicuichi
Hemia salicifolia

I'll give them a try and report back.

greenbeard,

mattybass

Quasi-Intellectual
Very excited to try vaporizing Damiana and Catnip... those are two herbs I began steeping into tea before I began smoking pot. I was looking for a mild sedative to drink before bed to increase relaxation from hard work at school. It only occurred to me that I have a use for the herbs again. In tea form, they worked fairly well. Very warming tea with a nice earthy flavour.

For those not in the know... In Canada at least, various health food stores at your local mall usually stock an entire shelf of various herbs which is where I've found Skullcap, Damiana, Catnip, Spearmint, Wormwood Absinthe, Kava, Passionflower, and many others.

So excited to get my vape!! :D

mattybass,

Ammonite310

Just got my first vape today, a Magic Flight Launch Box.

I appreciate everyone posting their experiences on this thread, I bought some Passion Flower, Skullcap, and Catnip from a local store and mixed them together.

After 2 trenches (although I'm currently on my 3rd) I'm feeling mildly relaxed, it is noticeable and enjoyable. I'm not the best at describing this sort of thing but I would say give the mixture a shot and see if you enjoy it.

Ammonite310,

greenbeard

Ok, I've been trying a few herbs in my Extreme-Q. The results have been mixed. Part of this may be because blends are comprised of herbs, each with different vaporization temperatures. These blends are meant to be smoked.

As a mentioned previously, I purchased a few blends from LegalBuds.com. The Mystical Spirit Smoke doesn't do much for me at all. The Wild Greens plus a good amount of catnip, works nicely. It's not a major buzz, but it is noticable. It's a very relaxed feeling. But again, this is by adding catnip to the Wild Greens.

The third one I purchased was sinicuichi (Sun Opener). I haven't tried this yet. Honestly, after reading about cases of severe muscle pain, I'm not sure if I will. Besides, I workout regularly at the gym. The last thing I need is muscle pain. Can anyone here give details on their experience with sinicuichi?

As far as other herbs... I've vaped hops, spearmint, and eucalyptus. As I mentioned, I added catnip to the Wild Greens. Catnip by itself is also effective.

Does anyone have any blend recipes that REALLY work well? Can anyone recommend an online supplier of blends meant for vaporizing?

greenbeard,

blakeshotgun

I just got my MFLB today with a sample of passionflower... we started the day off with it and I have to say it was nice. Immediately felt relaxed, with a strange clarity and happiness. I definitely think I'll mix it with my main herb of choice as my current high is very pleasant. However, it's also my first time vaping anything... I'll have to try more than one hit of passionflower sometime on its own to really investigate it but it seemed nice to me.

blakeshotgun,

greenbeard

Where did you order the passionflower from? I'm looking for some higher quality herbs than the ones I bought. I'll have to look into passionflower, though.

greenbeard,

blakeshotgun

I ordered from vapeworld. The reason the passionflower affected me so much more than others have reported is probably because I actually received damiana! I'm not that upset about the mistake since it's quite a pleasant thing to vape - nice flavor, nice feeling. Sorry about the confusion, I totally forgot to check the label on the bag until I got suspicious...

blakeshotgun,

indigal

Amongst the corn
blakeshotgun said:
I ordered from vapeworld. The reason the passionflower affected me so much more than others have reported is probably because I actually received damiana! I'm not that upset about the mistake since it's quite a pleasant thing to vape - nice flavor, nice feeling. Sorry about the confusion, I totally forgot to check the label on the bag until I got suspicious...
:lol::lol::lol:
I had gotten the passionflower with my LB but never tried it- figuring it was likely not going to do anything.. so maybe tea someday, but not vaping..

Saw your earlier post, went hey cool! and loaded a trench of the passionflower. Had a really nice flavor, kinda thought maybe I was feeling something.. but maybe, not. Wasn't really there and kinda went hmm, maybe passionflower doesn't do it for everyone.. Guess I should have grabbed the damiana! :p

indigal,

blakeshotgun

Yeah, the damiana is some pretty nice stuff. It brings a lot of the body high back that at least I seem to miss a little having switched from combustion to vaping. Busted the whole set up out with a small group of friends (~8) and everyone really loved the whole combo. I highly recommend it :D

blakeshotgun,

josh

Broke out the PD again after 2 1/2 months of not consuming my favorite plant. This time it was to experiment with organic catnip. I can honestly say that vaporizing catnip definitely gives you a buzz that isn't placebo, but also isn't a cannabis high. For me it is more of a relaxed, dreamy feeling. I don't get the fuzzy head feeling like I did with cannabis but still feels nice. A relaxing head and body high. Will experiment some more later tonight. Switching to a bottle of wine now that I ate dinner and popped 2 RU-21 pills. Hopefully I can get a better job soon and don't have to worry about the drug testing anymore.

josh,

george

I've been trying Kava Kava powder recently. I've made drinks out of it, and they taste horriblle...but they work well.

I tried vaping some on top of some weed in my mflb, not sure if it did much since i had already taken some earlier. I'll try it again another day.

george,

alexwallis

Hi.
wondering if I can please get some recommendations of ethnobotanicals that would be good to use in the PD?
the pd is the only vaporizer I own, and almost certainly will be my only one.
Given that the temperature can't be adjusted I would appreciate any recommendations of suitable ethnobotanicals that can be used in it.
I read the post from the guy who put catnip in it, but any other options would be welcome.

alexwallis,

2clicker

Observer
AGBeer said:
The hops were an 'okay' vaping experience. Personally I am a HUGE fan of hops, and hoppy beers in general (you should try one of my melt your face off IPAs)

what do i have to do to try one of these face melting IPAs?

im a hop head myself... the hoppier the better

really been diggin on Founders stuff right now

double trouble
devil dancer

and some Arcadia stuff

Hopmouth
Hoprocket

thought about trying to vape some hops. i know quite a few people who brew their own stuff and always have some.

2clicker,
Top Bottom