• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Discontinued The Timber Elite by Vapwood

Monk Debate

The monks do be debatin’
I've been reading this thread lately and occasionally see glass in the wooden mouthpiece. I keep wondering why use wood at all in the mp? But @Monk Debate you're saying the wood is adding positives to the flavor?!
Does the mp mate with 10mm, 14mm water piece?
Also, I'm wondering @P.A.M. @Monk Debate @madhockeydad @nonbeliever and @anybody I missed, when talking about flavor and performance, what vaporizers are you comparing the timber elite to??

Thanks for the input

@Bravesst great work. Pretty unit you've built. I applaud your diligence and transparency on your project! I'll keep watch on this thread.

Dry herb vapes I’ve used as a point of comparison:

Pax 1, Haze Dual v3, Splinter Z, Fury 2, multiple Vapcaps, Vivant Ambit, Arizer Solo, Dreamwood Glow

Plus I’ve had some pretty flavorful combustion with the right setup.

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
I’m getting some spectacularly flavorful hits with the Timber. I feel like the wood in the airpath adds a certain subtle sweetness that glass airpaths lack. I’ll have to order some roasting tubes soon to experience an all wood airpath offers.
Yes, I concur. The top section is basically a 50 mm square wood block with an instaHeat coil built into it. I think this is what separates us from the pack, the special oven we've created - a monster coil buried in a walnut block.

I've been stocking up on everything lately. I just plopped down a bunch of money on some DNA 75C circuit boards, but it is always involves some juggling on what to get next. I've been trying to stay on top of the *odds and ends* as well, but haven't purchased wood in quite awhile. I'm low on Cherry, and virtually have no Walnut left. I've got three choices.

1 - order from woodworkersource.com (2 inch turning blanks)
Big shipping, good price, great quality, easy to work with small turning blanks

2 - order from eBay (search for whatever I can get)
Potentially big shipping, variable pricing, never 100% sure of quality (unless I can get from the same sellers), could be large or small boards

3 - go to local specialty hardwood lumberyard
No shipping, expensive, big boards, great quality and I get to pick through the boards. When shopping locally, I wind up getting lots of wood stock

BTW - there are still 2 more six inch Tallboy Timbers, just like @Monk Debate has, only all cherry bottom, walnut top, but identical builds. The price is still $200 bare bones plus shipping (battery $10 / tube $25 / shipping $10). I gotta get me some wood! (that's what she said)

P.A.M.

Vapo Rising
@Monk Debate , nice Tinber , Monk, congratulations .

I'm wondering @P.A.M. @Monk Debate @madhockeydad @nonbeliever and @anybody I missed, when talking about flavor and performance, what vaporizers are you comparing the timber elite to??

I don’t know @Chandler , I haven’t tried a Timber ... for flavour and performance my iHeat 510 cartridge by @Alan tops the LB Elite.

As for Flavor , other vapes do as well as Vapwood’s vapes. All vapes have their signature style/taste etc if you will . Still Vapor is Vapor , weed is weed. A Vapcap can tastes great for example, mine is in stainless steel, is it as hard hitting as other vapes , no .

If anything glass is the most neutral taste you will get .

The only way that wood adds flavor as you wonder or have read is that you taste whatever wood your stem or vape is made of . Slight but present . It doesn’t improve or add positives to the flavour of the weed per say, it adds a foreign wood taste to it

Last edited:
P.A.M.,
Reactions: Chandler

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Good morning all. Today is a big day at Vapwood. The final Timber design has been decided upon. I spent all day *in my head* yesterday, traveling back and forth to Manhattan, thinking about wiring, terminals, sizing, all bouncing around in there. I am really looking forward to this build. I've simplified the shit out of it, and I'm setting myself up to build many Timber Elites.

As I mentioned in last post, I'm on the hunt for wood. As much as I love buying online, I need stuff now, and may have to do a major bulk purchase locally. I usually spend twice as much as I intend to when browsing around the lumber yard.

Today's job - take what wood stock I have and build 2 Timbers to completion with all the new design elements, setting this in stone so I can proceed. Gonna try and get a really early start.

Wood can add neutrality, just like glass, but what affects taste is NOT wood off gassing into the weed. The wood allows almost zero conduction of heat, acting like an insulator, which means more even convection heat, better taste. I feel that glass and steel tend to leave more of a scorch taste, but taste is not really something you can argue about.

And no doubt @Alan 's iH is quite the performer, as it is basically a Timber Elite without the all wood mod box built right into the coil, and the *mother* of the infamous instaHeat coil. The Timber features direct wiring from coil to circuit board, with no 510 connection.

Last edited:

P.A.M.

Vapo Rising
@Bravesst Please explain how wood ADDS neutrality as you suggest . I don’t believe it , sell ice to a different Eskimo , it’s not possible to introduce a foreign substance without it having any effect. Maole is the more neutral wood I’ve used but it’s not to say it is neutral , cherry and walnut sure do have a taste to it too . They don’t add neutrality to flavour. Others might taste maple more then other woods.

Good thing the Square HI can be used with other tubes since it comes with a stainless tube and you say they have a scortch taste .

P.A.M.,

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
In my opinion the wood roasting tubes add little, if any, taste. I feel they help keep things cool, and to me, low temps taste good. If you dislike the taste of wood, you can use glass or steel, or if you think my vapes or @Alan's tubes taste too much like wood, there are plenty of other awesome, non-wood options to choose from, and I really think that's great. Maybe others just get more taste enhancement or taste degradation from wood than I do. I'd be happy to hear all about it. I'm not trying to sell anything but vapes, and as usual, just honestly reporting my observations.

Today's shop time sucked. With no walnut stock, I turned to pre built 6 inch Timbers. For LB Elites and Classics I have units in pre-assembly, so I don't need wood stock. I have 4 Timbers I tried to rescue (convert from 6 inch to 5.5). I didn't happen. Another 3 hours shot to hell. I managed to rough out 4 new Timbers, using the very last bit of walnut, and something I've never seen before, Quilted Cherry. I don't have much, using it for Timber tops, but putting a bit aside for bottoms. Once again, looking for tomorrow for a more productive day.

To help you guys understand what it's like to have an almost perfect build. And when I say perfect, I'm only comparing to myself and previous Timbers. I've built really good Timbers with almost every last innovation, but I've yet to build one with every innovation. I probably won't be able to relax or take a deep breath until I final assemble about 10 fully finished products.

I can tell from the 4 new units I just roughed out that this is a design that has come together. All the little details have been worked out, just about every mistake has been made (let's hope). The final build should fall together seamlessly, with no muss or fuss. I'm looking forward to implementing all the design and process upgrades in one unit.

Last edited:

madhockeydad

Art is beauty
Hi

My points of comparison for me is the Lil' Bud, Imp and MVT2 by Mist, and the iHeat. I sometimes also use a Splinter. The Elite is my favorite out of the bunch. It's such a solid device and performs outstanding. Back when I started vaping - I had some other commercial vapes like the Ghost and Grasshopper. The Grasshopper has a cool factor to it but from a performance perspective I'll take the Elite any day of the week.

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
As a vape user for about 6 years now, I went through periods of owning quite a few units. As a current manufacturer, I won't mention any brand names, but I bought and sold over a dozen both portable and plug in vaporizers, and got a good feel of what's *out there*. I do like on demand convection, obviously, as my number one box to be checked.

Last edited:

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Nirvana in Vapwood. Today, I will build 4 perfect Timber Elites. The only downside is I'm also going to *reclaim* parts from unsold units. With board, buttons, and everything else, there's about $100 worth of parts in every unit. I can't just let that sit on a shelf unsold. If you want one of these units at $200, you'd better act fast. I'm going mention, I also have a Lil' Bud Elite in Waple, fully built, performs perfectly, unused, I can let go for the same $225 plus shipping (battery $10 / tube $25).

Once the four TE's are built, I will set about putting together September's batch. All LB Elites and Classics are in pre-assembly already, trying to play a little catch up with Timber. Not sure if I'll make it to the lumber yard today, but before I plop down all the money online, I'm gonna see if I can get some nice cherry and walnut stock.

It's all about funds, and having the capital to stay fat with parts and wood. If the funds were bottomless, I'd buy 100 circuit boards and sets of buttons, and have an endless supply of walnut, cherry, maple, as well as some other exotic woods, but I have to conduct business in a much more conservative manner - and that's okay, just creates a few interruptions in the flow here and there.

It's time for another Timber sale as I prepare for September's batch: Coupon Code TINYTIM saves $40

P.A.M.

Vapo Rising
Back after some technical glitch .
I personal don’t mind the taste of wood, someone asked a question , I think I gave a straight out answer . I’m not going to sit here and read that wood tubes neutralizes the taste or flavor of the weed and not say a word . Abit far fetched or perhaps, why the need to go to that extent to prove the tubes sorta speak. It is what is , wood adds tastes. Glass is more neutral then wood . Put stainless in middle I guess... I think myself and/or others had answered the question well with correct facts.

What I meant by selling ice is that Vapwood vapes are great, very versatile and user friendly and good on battery ... I think a lot of LB owners have shared that... that said evolv boards already have a proven battery life of its own and people grind how they want . I feel as though the campaigning literature could spare us some of those subjects.

I know you want to get Timber’s in people hands , maybe why I personally find the “selling pitch “ far fetched or excessive ,if you don’t want beta testers or vape test dummies, maybe do what MPL labs do and send new products in a tour to different members , that way different hands try and talk about your vapes and you ain’t their with your “vape” in your hands trying to sell us a vape only you have tried

My 5 cents ... take it , ignore it , contest it ,
I think I’ve done lots for Vapwood.

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Today, my friends, was a good day in the shop, and I think I learned something about myself. I do better work with less pressure. In line with preparing September's batch, I need a few Timbers at pre-assembly before I start assembling all 10 or so unit. That's what I did today, took just 4 (one for me) to pre-assembly. This involved breaking down a couple of units, but the two tall boys are still alive.
Back after some technical glitch .
I personal don’t mind the taste of wood, someone asked a question , I think I gave a straight out answer . I’m not going to sit here and read that wood tubes neutralizes the taste or flavor of the weed and not say a word . Abit far fetched or perhaps, why the need to go to that extent to prove the tubes sorta speak. It is what is , wood adds tastes. Glass is more neutral then wood . Put stainless in middle I guess... I think myself and/or others had answered the question well with correct facts.

What I meant by selling ice is that Vapwood vapes are great, very versatile and user friendly and good on battery ... I think a lot of LB owners have shared that... that said evolv boards already have a proven battery life of its own and people grind how they want . I feel as though the campaigning literature could spare us some of those subjects.

I know you want to get Timber’s in people hands , maybe why I personally find the “selling pitch “ far fetched or excessive ,if you don’t want beta testers or vape test dummies, maybe do what MPL labs do and send new products in a tour to different members , that way different hands try your vapes and you ain’t their with your “vape” in your hands trying to sell us a vape only you have tried

My 5 cents ... take it , ignore it , contest it ,
I think I’ve done lots for Vapwood.
No doubt, you've done lots for Vapwood, and I appreciate it all. I am grateful for all my loyal customers, both quiet and vocal. If you, or anybody, finds my reporting of my experience an excessive pitch, I apologize. Maybe I get a bit overzealous, and I think I've built some trust here, and don't ever want to abuse that. I learned this trade from a real people pleaser, @Alan, and our common goal is to make people happy. Actually, do my best to satisfy everybody, unfortunately we all fall short sometimes, including me. I'm am happy to see that while only a couple of people have tried Timber, the reviews are very inline with what I've been saying.

Maybe being an open book is quite as cool as all that...

Last edited:

Chandler

I'm assuming, if the mouthpiece/stem is A glass tube then the only thing in the vapor path of the Lb elite and timber elite would be stainless steel and glass? So wood in the vapor path is solely from the stem? @Bravesst do your products come with both wood and glass options?

Chandler,
Reactions: Bravesst

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
I'm assuming, if the mouthpiece/stem is A glass tube then the only thing in the vapor path of the Lb elite and timber elite would be stainless steel and glass? So wood in the vapor path is solely from the stem? @Bravesst do your products come with both wood and glass options?
The Elite pairs with all 19/22 male tubes, including wood and glass. I offer wood tubes, but they are available with glass liners that don't impact the actual roasting area, or bowl. The glass lines the tube from screen to tip. I like the glass inserts for a couple of reasons, easy to clean, and creates a more narrow air path with a bit more draw resistance, and I believe this helps keep things smoother. The Elite's oven is also lined with stainless steel foil.

No shop time today, but I'll be doing full days Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. My muscles ache from being in the shop too much lately, but the results have been worth it. Tomorrow starts with a trip to the lumber yard for some Cherry and Walnut, then on to some final assemblies. You will notice a structural / cosmetic change on these four units that I've been giving some thought to for awhile. Once I made the change on one, I immediately realized this was the way to go, and applied the upgrade to all four. It has no effect on function, just fit and appearance. I plan on getting pics posted soon. It has something to do with the cover plate (hint, hint). Eventually this upgrade will be incorporated into the LB Elite as well.

Observation
I can ramp down the Timber over the Elite, not that that is good or bad per se, it just is. I've been operating at 23 watts for the most part, not really touching that. When testing, I run in profile one, Temp Control at 400 F, adjusting cold ohms and TCR for the best possible consecutive hits. I can watch the graph numbers rise to meet the demand of a pull, keeping temps steady with the fluctuation of wattage. With previous LB Elites, normal wattage to get this level of function is about 26 to 27 watts. Temp control is a different animal, as temps will be temps, but how much wattage is necessary to keep temps steady at your pre-selected choice is now a bit lower as well. In wattage mode the breath only controls this energy transfer process, and that's what I personally love. This may have something to do with *shrinkage*, as coil to tube distance is now 2 mm's less. When I made this crunch on LB Classic, it just got too hot. I've also been building my coils a hair tighter, with a shorter distance from coil to disc on the underside of the coil (from 3 mm to 2 mm).

Last edited:

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Time for a LB Elite sale!

I'm going to extend the TINYTIM coupon code (worth $40) to all Lil' Bud Elites as well as Timbers. The September batch is still open, cut off will be end of August. I've got Walnut, Cherry, Waple, even a couple of Koa's in pre-assembly. I'm stocked on boards, buttons, and ready to assemble.

P.A.M.

Vapo Rising
glad you appreciate it in some way shape or form.... I took a lot of trash, insults and more in supporting you and your vapes.

The device got mildly warm doing temps between 330F and 380F. Not significantly warm, but noticeable (and enjoyable versus on a metal mod

did you get your Timber warm again ? Tried it at higher temps yet?

Who else has tried both Timber and Elite?

Where’s stinky pete’s LB Review or video or whatever , or did he bail ...

Edit : on another note , I’ve feilded lots of question and inquires about your vapes as well over the time , @Bravesst , received one today of someone having issues contacting you or not having messages replied to . Please follow up !!

Last edited:
P.A.M.,
Reactions: Chandler

Monk Debate

The monks do be debatin’
@P.A.M. I can get the Timber warm when I’m vaping through water at 385-395 or when I’m doing back to back to back to back hits at ~350. It’s a pleasant feeling, nowhere near hot, just a slight warmth radiating from the heater block.

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
No, it’s not the highest temp, it’s the repeated use. And even though I can feel the warmth, it’s still significantly cooler than my Fury 2 or Splinter Z at those same temps.

I agree, the repeated, prolonged use is what adds most heat. The longer the coil fires up, the more conduction / radiation of heat to the body of the unit. Timber has the added bonus of mass, in addition to the ss foil, which helps reduce the radiant heat.

Building vapes or running a vape manufacturing business, while selling vapes or running a retail business can be a challenge to do simultaneously. I do my best to respond to all inquiries as quickly as possible. If you slip through the cracks, or I do not respond for whatever reason, the best way to reach me is the email I've added to my signature. As far as Sneaky Pete, I cannot speak for him, all I can do is build the best vapes I possibly can.

EDIT:
Speaking of the best I can possibly do... I slowed down to a crawl today, implementing some changes for the first time, nailing it all down. Most upgrades are just internal wiring changes, but one obvious change to the exterior - cover plate just got prettier and easier to install.
20190828-163117.jpg

Last edited:

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Repost on yesterday's *slow build* that will set the pace for future Elites (both LB and Timber) featuring the new squared off cover plate, with a simplified assembly process. While pulling the coil from between the battery and circuit board is what sets the Timber apart from LB, you'll find many shared features.

Same bowl (19/22 taper)
Same DNA board
Same stainless steel coil
Same soldered wiring from board to coil using 14 gauge wire
Same battery compartment, board compartment
Same cover plate, actuator buttons
Same battery, terminals, similar battery door plate

Different size, shape, layout
20190829-065502.jpg

Monk Debate

The monks do be debatin’
Repost on yesterday's *slow build* that will set the pace for future Elites (both LB and Timber) featuring the new squared off cover plate, with a simplified assembly process. While pulling the coil from between the battery and circuit board is what sets the Timber apart from LB, you'll find many shared features.

Same bowl (19/22 taper)
Same DNA board
Same stainless steel coil
Same soldered wiring from board to coil using 14 gauge wire
Same battery compartment, board compartment
Same cover plate, actuator buttons
Same battery, terminals, similar battery door plate

Different size, shape, layout
20190829-065502.jpg

Are there now two airholes per side on the Timber or is that two airholes just on one side?

Monk Debate,

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
This morning's build, Cherry on Cherry with Walnut dressing. This build kinda just fell together now that all the details have been worked out. The only one of it's kind, I don't even offer it for sale yet.

Say hello to my new DD...
20190829-124431.jpg

Later Afternoon Edit
Got another Timber assembled. Timbers can be brought further in pre-assembly, as the coil is already installed and tweaked out in its little wooden compartment. This is making final assembly more a matter of tweaking the cover plate fit one last time. I still have a couple of Black n' Tans to build before moving on to assembling LB Elites, and a Classic or two. Looking forward to it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom