Discontinued The Timber Elite by Vapwood

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
bingo, bingo, bingo, HEATER SCREEN :worms:

@P.A.M. The only wood shown in the pic is the buttons, almost don't look wood they're so pearl like.

Got some more stuff done, including one more unit built. Also organized my incredibly disorganized (guess it's relative) work bench. I have to work this afternoon / evening, so the rest of the day is a bust. Back in the shop and cranking Saturday, Sunday, and Monday!!! I hope to get everything assembled.

Assemblies, quality wise, are going well. With that I mean there seems to be no chasing results - IE: pop the coil in and it just fits with barely any last minute adjustments, wires are all just the right length, no fussing to squeeze too much wire into a tight space, cover plates come out and and go back in (now wired up with a board) even easier without struggling to get a good fit as the board mortise is slightly deeper. This is also the first batch to be drilled out on the floor drill press, very nice results. Ahh... consistency. :cool: I've truly become a one-man assembly line.

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Last night was a late one, and believe it or not, I just got up. I've got one job in the shop today (and tomorrow) - assembly. I'll do my best to keep you posted and take some pics. Programming and testing will begin as well. I expect that to go well. I just love the way these bad boys are coming together. I am looking forward to July, and the rest of the summer season. When this batch is complete, the first step will be to build up the pre-assembly inventory for a couple of weeks, then shift to the final assembly of the July batch.

I just uploaded some older pics to Instagram

UPDATE
Too early to repost, but I'm in need of venting. I don't like working, getting home late like I did last night. I'm shot. Everything I did in the shop this morning was more complicated than it needed to be. Most of it was minor, but time consuming stuff. Doing intricate work, while fatigued, isn't fun. In the end it won't matter, just a bit of extra fussing. In addition, some *silly* stuff was happening.
Examples:
1. I realized that the coil disc hole was a mm too shallow, pretty much on each unit. so that has to be tweaked before assembly (using a new, thinner disc).
2. Cover plate under mounts on some are a hair big (long), and need to be trimmed on some units. Woulda been much easier to get it right the first time instead of adjusting. I try to leave as big as possible to add strength, but went a bit too far.
3. Route from board to terminal for the battery wires goes through some internal rough openings. Normally I'll drill out, then open with a hand file. If I forget to do this, the wire just reaches, unless I cut the wire a mm short (why I usually open the hole for some forgiveness). Once assembled, this is a pain in the ass to do. I won't forget again.

Like I said, small, annoying stuff for me to deal with this morning, but not really a big deal. I'll be back on track later (rest time with the Elite). The bottom line is that this is the life of a solo builder. At this point I feel I've gotten as efficient as possible, or close. I pretty much know exactly what it takes to build an Elite, in time, effort, and level of skill involved. Even with my inventory system, the final assembly is a time consuming process that I often underestimate, but the key to a pretty and functional unit.

Last edited:

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Happy Sunday!

So I got my new electric grinder, but it's far from an automatic perfect grind every time. This is a very gentle *coffee grinder*, but can rip through herb in seconds. You have to be careful to get it just right. Too much and it's pure fine powder, which is too dense. Not enough and it's lumpy, not 100% uniform. I'm getting the technique of pulsing, letting everything fall to the bottom, so as to get an even grind, but not over done. Once I get that, it has a really nice effect of longer, very even sessions. It's all about consistency. I have actually heard talk of ground flower being available in NY dispensaries soon. I wonder what kind of grind, never mind what weed.

Making a good push this weekend, taking a big chunk out of this assembly process. Today, I hope it's smooth sailing and I get lots done. This part of the process is about bringing it all together, making sure everything has landed just right. It can be a very satisfying, or very stressful, period in the build process. Tomorrow should be an instant replay, and then on to the final step, software and testing - the reason your Elite will work right outta the box.

Outta the box kit...
20190630-072040.jpg

Last edited:

Alex3oe

Accessory Maker
Let's compare Puff Infos!

sucked my Elite for

8621 Puffs
59760.3s ~ 996m ~ 16h20m
462448.0mwh

averages:
6.93s per Puff
53.64mwh per Puff

quite medicated on a lazy hot Sunday:tup::rockon::lol:

and did some missmathe for sure somewhere

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
On this unit, Cherry Elite DD (my 2nd DD). Very cool @Alex3oe !!!

Totals
Puffs 1645
21082 s / 352 m / 5.8 hrs
161924.9 mwh

Averages

12 seconds per puff
98.4 mwh per puff

It seems I take bigger hits, but less. There's many factors involved, and if you trigger the button, it's gonna skew it all up, marking more hits. I don't actually trigger, but occasionally I'll release and then re-fire right away, but mostly it's just a 10 or 12 second slow draw.

This morning was all about Koa. I managed to get 2 units finalized. Realistically, it takes just about as much to final assemble the Elite, as it does to create all the parts. There is just a lot going on in the build process with the coil, cover plate, and battery compartment. If it were easy, everybody would be doing it.

I know I have another session in me, but my back, neck and spine in generally are all achy from too my bench work. My eyes need to close for a while, on this hot and somewhat lazy Sunday on Long Island.

PRICE ADJUSTMENT
I'll reannounce this later, but I want to give FC a heads up. All hardwoods (except Koa and Waple) are being sold at the base *Maple* price. That adjustment is based on all three of those hardwoods being fairly easy to work with vs the cost of the material. Actually, cherry works the best, and is right in the middle of pricing. Koa is tough to work, and is expensive. Waple has the step of joining the boards.

Last edited:

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
There is literally nothing like on demand convection done right. For smoothness, convenience, effect, efficiency, ease of clean up. Being able to bring such a design to completion is pure satisfaction. I know you all understand VAS, but believe me when I tell you that VBS (vaporizer building syndrome) is just as real.

VBS - a true story
I exist to create vapes. My VBS, inspired (ignited) by @Alan, evolved over time, but now is full blown. If possible, I see myself giving up all other activities (except eating and vaping of course). It wasn't always this way. At one time I was happy as a relatively normal non-VBS kinda guy - I worked, went to the gym, actually left my shop. Now, I build vapes and sell vapes - just about all day every day. Not that I'm complaining :mental:

Last edited:

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
I flipped the fire button, successfully. I may have to do some minor adjustments on the screen placement, but installation is complete. I haven't tested yet, but resistance was within normal range. What this means internally is longer 14 gauge wire to the coil. It actually worked out pretty good. This one was done on request from a loyal customer. Some testing to be done first.

Not sure if anyone still wants this option, but a few have expressed interest. Once it's tested out, I more than likely will offer it as a custom upgrade.
20190701-125612.jpg

Last edited:

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Not a big response on the flipped fire button. I plan on making another for me to test, as this one is spoken for. I actually wound up liking the internal wiring adjustment, but of course we'll need to see how it all works out function wise.

I apologize for not making the July 1 deadline on shipping, but at this point my customers should know a week one way or the other is out of my control. I do the best I can to build as quickly as I can, but sometimes I can't predict how long things will take. For example, a final assembly can average anywhere from one to two hours. The reason for this is manifold, such as some extra coil tweaking necessary, a cover plate can tear out, a bottom cap can chip, all requiring time to fix. We are dealing with lots of #0 screws that I need tweezers to position. Sometimes things just fall together, sometimes they don't. Damn, my eyes hurt just writing about it. Bottom line is, I can't let a unit go until it's right.

Today, my 14 year wedding anniversary, is a work day in the city. I'll be around the rest of the week and in the shop most of it. After a couple more final assemblies, I can start uploading software and testing. That part of the process seems to be just as important as a good build, at least as far as end user results go. There is one unit in the bunch that is going to a reviewer / retailer. I am keeping myself in neutral on this, but willing to take a shot.

Mr. Me2

Not a big response on the flipped fire button. I plan on making another for me to test, as this one is spoken for. I actually wound up liking the internal wiring adjustment, but of course we'll need to see how it all works out function wise.

I apologize for not making the July 1 deadline on shipping, but at this point my customers should know a week one way or the other is out of my control. I do the best I can to build as quickly as I can, but sometimes I can't predict how long things will take. For example, a final assembly can average anywhere from one to two hours. The reason for this is manifold, such as some extra coil tweaking necessary, a cover plate can tear out, a bottom cap can chip, all requiring time to fix. We are dealing with lots of #0 screws that I need tweezers to position. Sometimes things just fall together, sometimes they don't. Damn, my eyes hurt just writing about it. Bottom line is, I can't let a unit go until it's right.

Today, my 14 year wedding anniversary, is a work day in the city. I'll be around the rest of the week and in the shop most of it. After a couple more final assemblies, I can start uploading software and testing. That part of the process seems to be just as important as a good build, at least as far as end user results go. There is one unit in the bunch that is going to a reviewer / retailer. I am keeping myself in neutral on this, but willing to take a shot.
Happy anniversary!!!

About that flipped button...I’d love to hear some ergonomics comparisons with the 2 different button placements.

Last edited:

flammy

Thanks for keeping us updated on timing. I can't speak for everyone obviously but I'd much rather you take the time needed than to rush or stress to make a deadline. The process does seem intricate so from my standpoint, its completely understandable.

With regards to the flip of the buttons, I imagine that there will be folks who prefer it one way or another since DNA mods themselves vary in terms of top/bottom fire button placement. This I feel will be a personal preference thing and I personally like having the fire button on the top vs bottom. The price for this feature will probably have an effect on the amount of people who opt for it though. Great thing is that with escribe you could always swap button function yourself but I would definitely prefer for the fire button to be the larger button.

Congrats on the anniversary! That takes a lot of work. It seems like having the chip dialed in would be extremely important. For me, I don't want to have to adjust TCR settings to get this to work properly so I appreciate the fact that it's tuned to work out of the box. I'm really curious to know who the elite will be sent to. I can understand the neutral stance...the reviewer world seems to be an interesting one. Having this carried by a retailer can only be good for exposure it would seem but obviously at the expense of margin.

Thanks again for keeping us all updated!

Ubiquito

I'm beyond excited to have this beauty in hand but the wait for the perfectly finished product is sweet anticipation that will make opening that box all the more exciting! :rockon:

sickmanfraud

With regards to the flip of the buttons, I imagine that there will be folks who prefer it one way or another since DNA mods themselves vary in terms of top/bottom fire button placement. This I feel will be a personal preference thing and I personally like having the fire button on the top vs bottom. The price for this feature will probably have an effect on the amount of people who opt for it though. Great thing is that with escribe you could always swap button function yourself but I would definitely prefer for the fire button to be the larger button.

I have several DNA color mods and they all have the button on the "top". I imagine if I ever bought an Elite I would want the button on the top to conform with my other DNA mods.

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Good morning FC'ers.
I can't help but read around the internet forums to see what people are saying about their vapes - likes, dislikes. It helps keep me informed on trends, successes, and failures. When I read many of the complaints I can't help but think to myself how the Elite might solve this or that issue, but saying anything would be seen as blatant self promotion, when my goal is to educate myself, nobody else. I guess I'm venting once again.

Top Ten Complaints
  1. Battery life too short - how does 7 or 8 sessions sound?
  2. Can't swap batteries - oh yes you can!
  3. Slow heat up - rapid on demand insta heat coil
  4. Restricted draw - wide open draw
  5. Fragile glass - zero glass (or glue)
  6. Still need to purchase a mod box - oh no you don't
  7. Need to program mod box - ditto
  8. Not true convection (some conduction) - 100% pure convection, 0% conduction
  9. Too hot and harsh (taste in general) - as cool as you want it to be, great taste
  10. Hard to clean / maintain - ridiculously easy to keep clean
I've got 2 more assemblies to complete, then I'll start uploading software to the dozen units. Each one will go in the neat little hemp travel sack to keep that finish nice and shiny. Case thermals will be based on previous units, so it's a simple matter of uploading, establishing cold ohms, and setting the perfect TCR for each unit.

When it comes to business, I'm old school. I develop personal relationships with people, and want them to know exactly what is going on with they vape they've entrusted me to build for them. Part of my job is to keep you updated. In return, I ask for patience, and the time to build the best vapes I can.

FSA!!!

Last edited:

flammy

I have several DNA color mods and they all have the button on the "top". I imagine if I ever bought an Elite I would want the button on the top to conform with my other DNA mods.

My Reuleaux DNA250 has the fire on the bottom. My lost vapes have it on the top...its weird and I can make both work but there is a slight preference to having it on top. That said, I don't think having it on the bottom is necessarily ergonomically inferior...just different.

Good morning FC'ers.
I can't help but read around the internet forums to see what people are saying about their vapes - likes, dislikes. It helps keep me informed on trends, successes, and failures. When I read many of the complaints I can't help but think to myself how the Elite might solve this or that issue, but saying anything would be seen as blatant self promotion, when my goal is to educate myself, nobody else. I guess I'm venting once again.

Top Ten Complaints
  1. Battery life too short - how does 7 or 8 sessions sound?
  2. Can't swap batteries - oh yes you can!
  3. Slow heat up - rapid on demand insta heat coil
  4. Restricted draw - wide open draw
  5. Fragile glass - zero glass (or glue)
  6. Still need to purchase a mod box - oh no you don't
  7. Need to program mod box - ditto
  8. Not true convection (some conduction) - 100% pure convection, 0% conduction
  9. Too hot and harsh (taste in general) - as cool as you want it to be, great taste
  10. Hard to clean / maintain - ridiculously easy to keep clean
I've got 2 more assemblies to complete, then I'll start uploading software to the dozen units. Each one will go in the neat little hemp travel sack to keep that finish nice and shiny. Case thermals will be based on previous units, so it's a simple matter of uploading, establishing cold ohms, and setting the perfect TCR for each unit.

When it comes to business, I'm old school. I develop personal relationships with people, and want them to know exactly what is going on with they vape they've entrusted me to build for them. Part of my job is to keep you updated. In return, I ask for patience, and the time to build the best vapes I can.

FSA!!!

All of those points are the reasons why the Elite appealed to me just so you know. The primary issue that I had is that there isn't much in terms of user experience feedback to be found confirming that the performance lives up to what it looks to be on paper (outside of this thread). I know that the practice of comparing similar vapes isn't looked upon fondly sometimes but with a vape like this, I was hoping to find reviews by users who could reference other vapes that are similar in nature and make comparisons and more specifically to 510 mod based vapes. Either way, I took the plunge anyways and look forward to trying mine out and providing feedback to those who are curious. More of these just need to make it into the wild.

I can definitely be patient (seems like everyone else can too) and the candid and detailed updates doesn't leave any room for me to have to guess about what's going on. No complaints here.

Last edited:

P.A.M.

Vapo Rising
Omg, lol, I hope the reviewer won't spend two minutes talking about the button at top or bottom :lol: Does it matter ?'!?! The Elite will get you high regardless . Hopefully we have a True Critic giving an unbias review.. vape on bruhs

P.A.M.,
Reactions: Bravesst

MothChewMoth

Gamer Extraordinaire

I'm pretty stoked to be waiting on a Koa unit, so thank you again for all the updates here. While I'm absolutely chomping at the bit to try it out, I've done the hand-crafted rodeo before. Artwork cannot and SHOULD not ever be rushed, so thank you also for taking all the time you need to dial them in :clap: . I'm also SUPER curious which reviewer will be testing it out! I'm sure that's privileged information, but please do let us know if/when you can share :cool: Perhaps I will put together a video review of my own?

The primary issue that I had is that there isn't much in terms of user experience feedback to be found confirming that the performance lives up to what it looks to be on paper (outside of this thread). I know that the practice of comparing similar vapes isn't looked upon fondly sometimes but with a vape like this, I was hoping to find reviews by users who could reference other vapes that are similar in nature and make comparisons and more specifically to 510 mod based vapes.

I should be able to provide a little bit of feedback once I've spent enough time with the unit. I own a decent variety, and have tried significantly more. Based on user feedback here, I fully expect to love this device and incorporate it into my "frequent use" rotation with my Evo, G43, Milaana, and Solo II. I don't like doing head to head comparisons because so frequently there are unique reasons for me to love each, and there are so many factors that can affect performance. I like to look at each unit holistically and see if it meets my needs. For example, I love the Mighty and recommend it frequently, but cleaning it annoys me enough that I traded mine away. I'll try to do a day one/day seven/day thirty review to fully cover my feelings on it.

flammy

I'm pretty stoked to be waiting on a Koa unit, so thank you again for all the updates here. While I'm absolutely chomping at the bit to try it out, I've done the hand-crafted rodeo before. Artwork cannot and SHOULD not ever be rushed, so thank you also for taking all the time you need to dial them in :clap: . I'm also SUPER curious which reviewer will be testing it out! I'm sure that's privileged information, but please do let us know if/when you can share :cool: Perhaps I will put together a video review of my own?

I should be able to provide a little bit of feedback once I've spent enough time with the unit. I own a decent variety, and have tried significantly more. Based on user feedback here, I fully expect to love this device and incorporate it into my "frequent use" rotation with my Evo, G43, Milaana, and Solo II. I don't like doing head to head comparisons because so frequently there are unique reasons for me to love each, and there are so many factors that can affect performance. I like to look at each unit holistically and see if it meets my needs. For example, I love the Mighty and recommend it frequently, but cleaning it annoys me enough that I traded mine away. I'll try to do a day one/day seven/day thirty review to fully cover my feelings on it.

The feedback on this forum is largely the reason why I got the Elite. But most folks aren't going to come to FC to look into vapes. They rely on Google or Reddit.

I agree with your stance on H2H comparisons when you're comparing a vape like the EVO to the Elite but the Elite is going to compete directly against 510 mod based vapes. I've seen more than once where someone says that they can't justify spending the money on the Elite because it would be more cost effective to get a 510 vape and a mod. That logic is ignoring some of the factors that were mentioned above which is why sometimes it can be helpful to make comparisons to vapes that are similar. I just don't think that making a comparison means that you can't like both of the vapes. It will just be for different reasons.

I also have a Koa on the way. They do look great so far.

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Nice final assembly day in the shop. I had gotten a bug bite on my right ring finger on Sunday, and today it just got itchy and swollen. I usually never go to an urgent care, but I'm actually a bit paranoid about the hands (lots of Lil' Buds to build), and when I packed up I headed there. In and out in 15 minutes, and all good, with just some steroid cream. Not taking chances with the Lil' Bud makers.

All in all, I've got 14 units assembled, 12 for customers, one for my reviewer, one for testing out a bit of a wiring change (shortened 14 gauge wire from board to coil from 2 1/2 to 1 3/4 inches). This may change cold resistance, and possibly board temp. Most importantly, both feeds are identical in length (as per Evolv tech). This time around, I can't wait to test out this small change.

Other *changes* new customers can expect:
1. no more board compartment vent holes unless testing extensively warrants it
2. back plate magnets are 1/10" vs 1/8"
3. thinner coil disc (1/8 vs 3/16) but greater coil lead length to make up for it
4. slightly deeper board compartment (15 vs 14.5 mm)
5. 4 under mounts on cover plate vs 3

Nothing on the above list is critical to performance, but rather very subtle changes that allow almost negligible results alone, but when added together over time, result in a very fine product.

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Good morning boys and girls and happy 4th of July. The only thing happening today is programming. I'm running case thermal analyzers now. It's a bit of a process but worth it.

I've also been toying with the idea of adding a small logo to the Elite (and Classic). I just found a reasonably priced laser engraving unit on Amazon and took the plunge. I'm not sure if it's feasible to engrave this batch, but we'll see how complicated it is, or if it's up to the task at all (gotta love Amazon's return policy). I think the Elite deserves this.

Time to generate some capitol to fund the building of more Elites, as well as pay for the laser engraver :clap:.

coupon code: AMERICA
saves 10% site wide

I'd also like to mention that I have two ex-DD's that I can let go for $200 bare bones, free shipping (one walnut, one cherry). They have the original full length cover plate, but all the internals are the same, and so is function. Makes no sense to let them sit on a shelf. I either have to sell, or salvage parts (buttons, coil, board). These units will ship with this batch in a few days. PM me if interested.

Last edited:

Mr. Me2

Good morning boys and girls and happy 4th of July. The only thing happening today is programming. I'm running case thermal analyzers now. It's a bit of a process but worth it.

I've also been toying with the idea of adding a small logo to the Elite (and Classic). I just found a reasonably priced laser engraving unit on Amazon and took the plunge. I'm not sure if it's feasible to engrave this batch, but we'll see how complicated it is, or if it's up to the task at all (gotta love Amazon's return policy). I think the Elite deserves this.

Time to generate some capitol to fund the building of more Elites, as well as pay for the laser engraver :clap:.

coupon code: AMERICA
saves 10% site wide

I'd also like to mention that I have two ex-DD's that I can let go for $200 bare bones, free shipping (one walnut, one cherry). They have the original full length cover plate, but all the internals are the same, and so is function. Makes no sense to let them sit on a shelf. I either have to sell, or salvage parts (buttons, coil, board). These units will ship with this batch in a few days. PM me if interested.
Happy 4th to you too! Why not take the day off on this national holiday!?!

And a suggestion... regarding the logo, you already made the investment in the engraver but you may want to consider offering one-off’s with or without a logo. I’m one of those weird people who prefer products clean and without a Nike swoosh or whatever. And I think your vapes are beautiful works of art as is.

flammy

Happy 4th to you too! Why not take the day off on this national holiday!?!

And a suggestion... regarding the logo, you already made the investment in the engraver but you may want to consider offering one-off’s with or without a logo. I’m one of those weird people who prefer products clean and without a Nike swoosh or whatever. And I think your vapes are beautiful works of art as is.

Well said....kick your feet up today, Mike. I know I will be doing so. What's a day more anyways, right?

I think that I also agree on the logo. Your LBs are recognizable on sight without a logo (at least for me). If I see one in a pic, I know immediately what it is (both classic and Elite). That said, I think this is could be a neat option for some (or a lot...I dunno) but I think that I would prefer mine without a logo if I have a choice. I wish the same of my Sticky Bricks.

This said, I think you could come out with some really neat "limited edition" runs with designs that are laser engraved on the body. Maybe something similar but obviously not the same as what Ralph does with his Tubos. A lot of different things can be done with a capable laser engraving machine...I love technology.

Happy 4th everyone!

Last edited:
Top Bottom