The Eclipse Thread

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Tomorrow is the big day here in the US for a total eclipse of the sun. I'm sure some FCers have made the journey to or near the path of totality, so it would be great if you could share the pics here for us all to admire. Bonus points for getting a vaporizer in the picture. :cool:

Cool non-FC pics/stories/resources would be fine to post here as well.

6fc72eb04feb338dbd067ac71144f08c.jpg

:peace:

elykpeace

exVASted
I didn't get a chance to get a pair of those special glasses.. my camera has a flip out screen.. maybe I can get pics with it and also avoid going blind..

Edit : read that it can damage the camera without a filter .. wife says try the pharmacy and gas station? 7 eleven carries glasses

Last edited:

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
I had left something in the Radom thread regarding the eclipse glasses I bought through Amazon online about a month or more ago. Now I'm hearing some of the glasses are fakes. So now I'm wondering if the glasses I have are safe to use. They have the right identifying codes ISO 12312-2 they are by Beemo Creations.

I deleted several emails before I had heard about the rash of fake eclipse glasses. I don't even know if they sent me a "don't use" letter. Amazon said they could be safe but can't guarantee. This brand isn't on the list of glasses that NASA suggested.

Where we live we will be able to see the eclipse by 92%, it's suppose to be clear too. . A 150 mi down the freeway we would be able to see it 100%. The roads are going to be crazy. I will watch from the house since my husband has to work. Im worried about these damn glasses. Companies are selling fake glasses so beware everyone. The sun can do damage to your eyes so everyone be careful.

About 10:15 is when we will see it on the West Coast. Get ready for the 2017 great eclipse.

He's a cool pic off Imgur from some other eclipse.
nArXIwe.jpg

Last edited:

Stevenski

Enter the Dragon
Try this Carol. That said there is nothing to stop unscrupulous vendors from having products marked with the correct ISO standards especially considering there will be no repeat custom.

As someone who spent 10 years + in PPE sales & strategy I would be cautious about believing any clams outside known & established brands like Bolle or Uvex. Seen way too many non compliant specs & face shields in my time to have blind faith in anyone let along one time sale merchants.

How can you tell if your solar viewer is not safe? You shouldn't be able to see anything through a safe solar filter except the Sun itself or something comparably bright, such as the Sun reflected in a mirror, a sunglint off shiny metal, the hot filament of an unfrosted incandescent light bulb, a bright halogen light bulb, a bright-white LED bulb (including the flashlight on your smartphone), a bare compact fluorescent (CFL) bulb, or an arc-welding torch. All such sources (except perhaps the welding torch) should appear quite dim through a solar viewer. If you can see shaded lamps or other common household light fixtures (not bare bulbs) of more ordinary brightness through your eclipse glasses or handheld viewer, and you're not sure the product came from a reputable vendor, it’s no good. Safe solar filters produce a view of the Sun that is comfortably bright (like the full Moon), in focus, and surrounded by dark sky. If you glance at the Sun through your solar filter and find it uncomfortably bright, out of focus, and/or surrounded by a bright haze, it’s no good. You should contact the seller and demand a refund or credit for return of the product, then obtain a replacement from one of the sources listed on our reputable-vendors page.

Remember that a genuinely safe solar viewer does more than reduce the Sun's visible light to a comfortable brightness level. It also blocks potentially harmful UV and IR radiation. The only way to tell whether your viewer does that is to be certain that it meets the ISO 12312-2 safety standard, and the only way to know that is to be certain that it came from a reputable vendor.

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
I'm sitting in fog in the town of Depoe Bay, OR at 7:52 am. Will it clear in time? Statistically, over 60% chance of disappointment. Bad odds.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Yeah, its cloudy here in the Chicago area too. I suspect I will be watching it online.

I have no glasses, but intended to use binoculars to project an image on a piece of white cardboard. If its cloudy, online it is.

cybrguy,
Reactions: GetLeft

CarolKing

I tested the eclipse glasses. They say if everything is black except for the sun they should be OK. Everything else was all black. The beginning of the eclipse has started here. A bite of the sun is gone so far. I read online that you need a lens filter for your smartphone. There's some disagreement about whether it will do damage to your phone. It needs to be a total eclipse (100%)then you can take a picture without worry.

Edit
Seeing a 92% eclipse here its not that dark.

A very awesome experience even though it wasn't a total eclipse.

Last edited:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
It only gets truly dark if you are in totality. It is more like twilight at 90%. Here it will only be in the 80s, so won't be that noticeable. And it is cloudy, tho that won't effect the degree of darkness. Just the ability to witness the occlusion live.

GetLeft

Here in PA it's lightening up now but had some real cool light tones, noticeable and weirdly darker for sure, as the partial occlusion has unfolded. I wasn't smart enough to get the glasses on time so we've watched the event using the cereal box trick with the pin hole in foil that projects the light and shadow onto a piece of white paper at the bottom of the box. Worked well. Couldn't get the cell phone camera to pick up enough detail of the image to post a pic, just blurry circular blobs of light.

TboneToker

Was happy to enjoy a ~75% eclipse here eating lunch with my way beyond outstanding best friend here in Canada. Felt like the moon and sun were communicating or making love.. didn't want to look too much ?

My best friend said that anyways, and I have to agree, it seems sacred and shouldn't be staring the whole time.

MinnBobber

Clouds hit here in MN just b4 but then..... some partial clearings and trying with paper and holes and minimal success.
Then the neighbors with 5 or 6 kids ran over and we all shared their eclipse glasses. Cooooool view.

side note-- saw a warning to not drive with eclipse glasses. I suppose driving could be tough when the ONLY thing that makes it thru to your eyes is looking directly at the sun. Nothing else is bright enough so driving in complete blindness might be an issue ;)

CarolKing

By Herman Wong August 21
Play Video 0:30

Trump warned not to watch eclipse without special glasses
President Trump watched the solar eclipse from the White House on Aug. 21. (The Washington Post)
Like many Americans, President Trump on Monday gazed at the first solar eclipse. But at one point he appeared to ignore precautions that scientists and doctors warned were necessary to protect people's eyes during the celestial event.

Trump emerged on the Truman Balcony of the White House with first lady Melania and son Barron shortly before the eclipse reached its apex in Washington. He waved at the crowd and responded to a reporter's question — “How's the view?” — with a thumbs up, according to the White House press pool.

Then he tilted his head upward and pointed toward the sky, prompting a White House aide standing beneath the balcony to shout, “Don't look,” according to the press pool. It is unclear if Trump looked directly at the sun?

View image on Twitter
DHxk9KzUMAEs7lm.jpg:large

Last edited:
Top Bottom