1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

The DAVINCI IQ

Discussion in 'Portable Vaporizers' started by Davinci_vaporizer, Sep 26, 2016.

1. abcdicted

abcdicted Member

here are the photos:

http://imgur.com/a/VDPpm

@Davinci_vaporizer What a roller coaster of emotion has been this purchase ! , so I ordered my IQ on Nov 11(Canada) and it finally arrived today (after 2 months and after my first package got lost somewhere during the holidays), YEEEEH!!!....right!?well... NO!

So I have been reading this thread ever since I clicked check-out on the davinci's website, and I've been worrying so much that all the bad experiences that happened to others here would happen to me and with this new stories of ceramic chambers cracking and reading that ceramic is super toxic really makes me nervous(can @Davinci_vaporizer clarify this,is it toxic >are we in any danger if it cracks and we vape without noticing?) .

Well ..surprise surprise! , I got really disappointed when I finally opened it and started to get things out and notice:

- the inside of the box where it came into , the inside face of the opening door of the box , has a "greasy" stain , then I remembered reading that this happened to someone else and someone else mention that might be because @Davinci_vaporizer was in rush to catch up with pre-orders and they messed up , so I'm saying to myself " ok , its just the box "

- then after taking out what it came with I notice the inside corners of the box are all pealed or with some kind of dust and just dirty.

-I picked up the IQ and notice a "greasy" smudged in the flat mouth piece , I did open and check every other compartment and it looks clean, and it turns on .

-then I moved into the accessories, first one I open the carrying can , I open the cap and to my surprise more dirty parts, in the inside of can and can-cap there is some brownish sticky thing in the bottom and something that looks like pealed coating, WTF

-the I moved into the extended mouth piece , and again ... dirty!!! , all around the bottom part of the mouth piece are all these white particles(dust) or whatever , WTF!

-key chain.....same story ...dust all over it! again WTF!!

what a TURN OFF! this was, I'm really upset with this , you know.., how come a product that is that expensive $274(376CAD) comes in this condition ,I know I know some people could say is just some dust,
    but I really didn't pay that much money from a known company to get a product that looks like i got it on sale on craigslist (used).

as for the device I cant say much , the only thing I've done with it is turn it on , I really don't feel like using it and I'm also a little paranoid to use it 'cause I don't know what that dust is and if it got inside the IQ ,and I don't want to vape on that mindset ,its not going to be enjoyable!. I will probably clean it tomorrow thoroughly but still ... what a bummer

I know @Davinci_vaporizer might be still super busy shipping new units and dealing with customer service but this is such a let down to me.

was so excited ..this sucks!

any how... cheers!

here are the photos:

http://imgur.com/a/VDPpm

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  2. JohnyEnglish_CZ

JohnyEnglish_CZ Member

Oh my... @Davinci_vaporizer should hire more cleaners to their factory, lmao.... this is disgusting...

3. Glass004

Glass004 Consumer Advocate

[​IMG][/I[​IMG] [​IMG]
    This is my solution for those who vap at higher temps with sensitive finger tips. I tied a leather strap around repeatedly with knot that traps its end, wrapping part of IQ with a one inch wide leather band.
    No problems with heat and helps protect my IQ.

4. Randy Lahey

Randy Lahey Active Member

Geez I would think Davinci would come out with a low profile case to fix the heat issue...

5. Splorgle

Splorgle Actively Dismembered

After waiting for my turn, I heard back from customer service. They are honoring the warranty and making it right. I expect there to be small quirks to new gadgets, and am pleased even though my unit broke, it won't be broke for long!
    I haven't experienced a cracked oven, but I keep my IQ between 350, and 375. The highest I go it 380 to finish a session off. I usually don't last the whole 10 minutes, and I give it plenty of time to cool off between sessions. If it starts to feel a little extra warm during a sesh, I just turn it off, and let it cool a bit.
    I don't know if it is excessive heat that is causing the cracks or not, just giving my experience with a non cracked (fingers crossed) oven.

Davinci_vaporizer likes this.
  6. JohnyEnglish_CZ

JohnyEnglish_CZ Member

The cracks are probably caused by heating and cooling - material fatigue
    - everything tends to expand when heated and squish when cooled down this may be the case... the "high" heat itself should not affect this type of ceramic, but material fatigue can develop cracks after longer time

7. Randy Lahey

This is my single greatest concern about the IQ. Wouldnt this = a dangerous, fatal design flaw with the unit?

kellya86 likes this.
  8. First_Time_Caller

First_Time_Caller New Member

I might as well ask this here.
    How many "Sessions" do you guys have with the herb in your vape?

Now I'm new to this Vape stuff and only came about the DaVinci IQ as a present for a friend but I'm planning on getting one myself after using and enjoying it, but I'm not sure if I'm exactly doing it right, since I often find myself powering back on the unit after a 10 minute session (That's how long they last before it shuts off, righit?) and going again.

Now while it's not combustion and all, I'm sure there has to be some sort of negative effect vaping weed that's already been cooked, right or does everyone just pack the device, use two or three sessions in one bowl and call it a day?

I'd assume it's the former since alot of people have been going on about how big a bowl the IQ has and how wonky the device can get if you don't pack it tight so I highly doubt anyone is putting in fresh bud EVERY 10 minutes...but I dunno. A bit of help/insight? Cheers.

9. kellya86

kellya86 Herb gardener...

Ceramic dust is potentially harmful if inhaled in large enough quantities...

But I doubt you would get them amounts from a small crack....

10. BornRedEyed

BornRedEyed Member

My oven is also cracked and I am not sure how many times I have used it since noticing the crack. Does anyone know if these are safe to use while cracked?

WakeAndVape likes this.
  11. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Safe? What is it that you are worrying may happen?

12. kellya86

I'd be worried about inhaling potentially harmful dust... who knows what that shit does...
    We still don't understand enough, just look at asbestos....
    Ceramics contain heavy metals no???
    Can our lungs remove these particles....???

I'm fussy maybe..... it's just I spent so long ruining my lungs, I'd like to look after them now....

Justpassedu likes this.
  13. BornRedEyed

BornRedEyed Member

Some people on this forum and others have expressed concerns that the ceramic in these units could be toxic if cracked. I haven't seen anything from DaVinci saying if they are or aren't.

vapen00b, Mixio and kellya86 like this.
  14. Taz4101

Taz4101 Member

All ceramic dust is toxic if inhaled. The biggest concern is the purity of the ceramic. I believe there is medals in the ceramic maybe alluminum, to make the ceramic have the same thermal properties of the wire inside. Every ceramic chamber vaporizer I have tried has always smelled industrial. I think they should encase ceramic is metal to seal it from the air path. At least on the so called premium units. Ceramic will form micro cracks from heating and cooling over time. I don't see how with time, you could avoid inhaling particules as it breaks down.

15. slcbdco

slcbdco Brewer, Lobbyist, Vaporist

It must be karma, I read your post, then checked my bowl to notice it was also cracked ...

16. Volteric

Volteric Well-Known Member

I notice what looks like a seam. Is that not what I should see and is that a crack?

17. Reggie Watts

Reggie Watts Well-Known Member

I load fresh herbs for every session, just like I would for any other vape. A session can last 10 to 20 minutes. That's one thing I love about the IQ - you can get long sessions, and it delivers clouds throughout.

No signs of bowl cracking here.

18. kellya86

Iv been lurking here since the iq was released...
    I really liked it from the off....
    I was gonna dive straight in, but I'm glad I haven't now.....
    It's time to stop watching this thread, My decision is made....
    There will not be an iq in my vape arsenal...

I think ceramic ovens are dated, I expect better for such a price now....
    The flowermate put me off ceramics anyway....
    Now I have health concerns about it (cracks/dust), that's the final nail in the coffin...

The apparent variation between models seems extreme.... with regards to heat production...

Poor quality customer service for such a device is just not on...
    And even people unboxing dirty items....

We should all expect better than this now....
    No amount of fancy software can hide an inherently poor design....

Out.................

19. JohnyEnglish_CZ

JohnyEnglish_CZ Member

There is visible "crack" on every unit from manufacturing process, however this one is straight and goes all the way down, the cracks you can see in these pictures of broken are not straight and usually stops in half way :)

20. stark1

stark1 Well-Known Member

@Davinci_vaporizer, it may be expedient to address the cracking issue with a bowl redesign in future
    production iQs?

A glass liner for existing iQs? :sherlock:

Why do I feel like a ╬▓eta tester?

Not meaning to make cracks. Just sayin. :cheers:

PS A silicon skin to help dissipate heat. Great hand warmer in New England cold, otherwise. :love:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  21. Taz4101

Taz4101 Member

Yea davinci said the single crack looking seam is normal. Shouldn't be a big concern but if you can see it then it may be a weak point. I bet there not all like that. The seam in the oven is probably not the greatest cut or seal of the tube. But yes dated heater. Looks the same as the xmax, goboof Alfa and countless cheap Chinese vaporizers. The purpose of the pearl is to conduct heat to the center where the heater can't reach. That's why the Alfa had that steel poll in the center. That can't help the battery life neather. They could have put that work into a better heater design, or at least some convection to heat the middle. Has a few smarter features and there control board is good, but nothing you can't do with temp control on the device alone. The outside shell shouldn't have been made in alluminum as it conducts to much heat. At least a silicone type coating or a double layer better insulated case and heater. They also did a poor job explaining proper care of 18650s to the uninformed. The inside of the battery compartment should be anodized or insulated from the metal on all sides as well. The battery wraps tear easy and they can short internally if it's touching any metal inside.

natural farmer, vapen00b and Glass004 like this.
  22. deZauberer

deZauberer New Member

Neither have I. Been using it without no issues....but I still want one!

I just got one without the flavour chamber. I've been trying to contact them but no game. And then they saw my post on reddit and finally they contacted me (took about 2 weeks). Sent all the info but haven't heard from them since. No new ticket, nothing.
    Any update @Davinci_vaporizer? (#57997)

Did you get yours? What was your way of contacting them? Any difference between using it with and without?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  23. slcbdco

slcbdco Brewer, Lobbyist, Vaporist

I'd like to hear from @Davinci_vaporizer whether it's safe to use with the crack. I also have one, I don't care as much about as aesthetics as long as i'm not damaging myself or the unit, i'd rather not have to RMA but I will at least once before giving up!

vapen00b and ShovelHead like this.
  24. Glass004

Glass004 Consumer Advocate

Use the chat feature on DaVinciVaporizers.com for quick communication. Tim has always answered my chat within a minute during hours. They sell the chambers on site and I know Tim will have another sent out. The DaVinCi rep said the IQ needs the chamber in place to work efficiently.

25. Randy Lahey

@Davinci_vaporizer really should get on this forum and address the cracking issue. Its scaring the shit out of me and I really want an IQ. Id imagine this is scaring off a lot of potential buyers. Im not buying anything until I hear from them on a fix for this.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors