Paka-cholo

Flaccid Member
Question... mine gets HOT! Like fire hot lol.. I've measured the temperature and its at 140-145 °C on average

145 celsius on the outside of the vape? Thats like almost 300 Fahrenheit? If thats accurate that is nowhere near safe. Even if you mean't 145 Fahrenheit that is still really high, and is still unsafe either way. Id contact DaVinci for sure.

Paka-cholo,

exime

145 celsius on the outside of the vape? Thats like almost 300 Fahrenheit? If thats accurate that is nowhere near safe. Even if you mean't 145 Fahrenheit that is still really high, and is still unsafe either way. Id contact DaVinci for sure.

I called. Davinci CS has already established their script that the over-heating is normal functioning. The short end of it is that "the device has no way for heat to escape" so the longer it stays on the hotter it gets.

They should still let you send it in for analysis (2 weeks). Shipping is on you.

Last edited:
exime,
Reactions: BigJr48

Paka-cholo

Flaccid Member
I called. Davinci CS has already established their script that the over-heating is normal functioning. The short end of it is that "the device has no way for heat to escape" so the longer it stays on the hotter it gets.

They should still let you send it in for analysis (2 weeks). Shipping is on you.

That doesn't seem right. This unit sounds like way over heated. I can't see how that would be acceptable or safe at either F or C temps. How hot is "over-heating"?
Both of those temps are enough to cause burns.

Did you ever measure how hot yours got @exime ?

Mine gets hot when I leave it for too long, but never even close to those temps I don't think. I never used a temp gun but mine was always palmable.

Paka-cholo,

BigJr48

That doesn't seem right. This unit sounds like way over heated. I can't see how that would be acceptable or safe at either F or C temps. How hot is "over-heating"?
Both of those temps are enough to cause burns.

Did you ever measure how hot yours got @exime ?

Mine gets hot when I leave it for too long, but never even close to those temps I don't think. I never used a temp gun but mine was always palmable.

The only way to control heating issues with the IQ is to use a 15 amp battery, higher amperage batteries make the IQ run hot to the touch when in use.

BigJr48,

Justpassedu

The only way to control heating issues with the IQ is to use a 15 amp battery, higher amperage batteries make the IQ run hot to the touch when in use.
In theory wouldn't a battery with more amps be better for the Iq to stay cool as opposed to one with a lower amperage ? I don't understand- " Put simply, the amperage roughly translates to power i.e. how much current the battery can offer at one time. The higher the current, the higher the wattage output you get. "

Justpassedu,

BigJr48

In theory wouldn't a battery with more amps be better for the Iq to stay cool as opposed to one with a lower amperage ? I don't understand- " Put simply, the amperage roughly translates to power i.e. how much current the battery can offer at one time. The higher the current, the higher the wattage output you get. "

That's not always the case...

BigJr48,

BigJr48

I am not to knowledgeable in this so please help me understand .

I experienced the same heating issues when I first received my IQ, began to experiment with different batteries, 10amp, 20amp and when I used a 15amp battery all heating issues disappeared. The unit maintains warm/hot that can be held in the hand.

BigJr48,

cobra505

Defined
Scroll back or search thru the thread, you will see lots of discussion about this issue. Some have indicated that changing to a different battery improves the issue. Mine gets warm but never hot.
Has anyone ever given any thought to the heat wrappers around the batteries? I'm asking because my factory battery fits fine but the IMR's fit very tightly. Mostly just around the cover, once you get the battery past the cover it slides right into place. Just a thought.

I am not to knowledgeable in this so please help me understand .
Go back to pages 88 and start reading, we were talking a lot about batteries.

cobra505,

Paka-cholo

Flaccid Member
Even with the 10 amp Sanyo battery that came with the unit, mine has never been so hot that I couldn't touch it. Again I've never temp probed it but I don't think I would be able to hold it at 145F or Celsius. The higher amp battery's did seem to run a bit cooler but it is not a huge difference in heat on my unit. If I had to guess I'd say maybe 5-10 degrees cooler. The main difference with the usage of higher amp batteries for me was that damn low battery alert sensor. It doesn't trigger until it should with the higher amp batteries.

Anyhoo, I hope you get it figured out Manity. Maybe the temp range posted was a typo?:cheers:

Last edited:
Paka-cholo,

wags1

I have been a long time Ascent user that has just started using the IQ...love it! I had been using a Pinnacle water tool with my Ascent and am interested in the Nectar Collector Honeybird for use with my IQ. I would be using it infrequently and do not want to leave it filled with water. How easy/hard is it to fill/empty? The Pinnacle was very simple to fill/empty. Looking at the Honeybird it just looks like it might be more difficult.
I'll answer my own question. I find the Honeybird to be easier to fill and empty than the Pinnacle. That said, I find myself just leaving the water in it, replacing about once a week. One side of the Honeybird is flat so you can lay it down and it won't roll around. It is spill proof so the water does not leak out. Bottom line is it is smaller, lighter, and seems more efficient than the Pinnacle. Personally I like it much better. It is a bit pricey but, IMHO, totally worth it.

Vambo1980

Hi everyone.

I went ahead with my VAS and brought one of these. On a fathers day discount.

I received tbe unit today but It's not been a good start. The unit just cuts out after it's been turned on for a minute or two. It's also strange on charge see my videos here..

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AjYv-gBT85bom1n8fQdqxMpP8uSJ

The only time I managed to get a vape from it was the very first session that cut out at around 6 mins. Do you guys think it's worth carrying on with this unit? So far I'm a little let down.. even the vivant vape I had lasted a few bowls..
Namaste vape have asked me to contact the manufacturer for repair.. but I'm not happy with this I want them to replace the unit. Why should I have to waste time mucking about with emails and service tickets etc when I've not even used the thing.. it's like I've paid for hassle.. great deal! am I within my rights to just ask/demand a refund? Or get them to send me a new one and return this and let them sort the problems..

I've not had a chance to read all the previous messages but has anyone else had a crappy unit straight out the box?

VJ

Vambo1980,

almost there

Hi everyone.

I went ahead with my VAS and brought one of these. On a fathers day discount.

I received tbe unit today but It's not been a good start. The unit just cuts out after it's been turned on for a minute or two. It's also strange on charge see my videos here..

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AjYv-gBT85bom1n8fQdqxMpP8uSJ

The only time I managed to get a vape from it was the very first session that cut out at around 6 mins. Do you guys think it's worth carrying on with this unit? So far I'm a little let down.. even the vivant vape I had lasted a few bowls..
Namaste vape have asked me to contact the manufacturer for repair.. but I'm not happy with this I want them to replace the unit. Why should I have to waste time mucking about with emails and service tickets etc when I've not even used the thing.. it's like I've paid for hassle.. great deal! am I within my rights to just ask/demand a refund? Or get them to send me a new one and return this and let them sort the problems..

I've not had a chance to read all the previous messages but has anyone else had a crappy unit straight out the box?

VJ
Just contact DaVinci, that problem seems like more than a few people share. It's pretty likely they'll replace it. Best of luck to u, sorry u have such a rough start

Vambo1980

Just contact DaVinci, that problem seems like more than a few people share. It's pretty likely they'll replace it. Best of luck to u, sorry u have such a rough start

I thought I was covered by 14 day right to return UK trading rules. But I'm not sure.. The experience I've had just makes me want my money back. It's like the once bitten twice shy feeling and I've lost faith in this company hence me not really interested in emailing them explaining it all when I'm not wanting the equipment they offer anymore.

If it didn't cost the premium it does i wouldnt feel so strong about it. I thought they had sorted all the issues with the latest batch.

I'll go refund route first I think and if no good probably just sell the replacement.

TRU3 L3GEND

Just a suggestion to try that worked for me, while my issue was slightly different you never know. Try taking the battery out and stick a screw driver down in there where the connector flap is. Just give it a little love pushing it in a few times, don't feel afraid to really get in there. Pop the battery back in and see what happens. I've had my IQ for 7 months now and this just developed last month and seems to be good now. Seems like it is possible its making a poor connection with the battery down there. Hopefully that's all it is, but if not I'm sure your replacement will be fine. The IQ is a beast when working properly.

TRU3 L3GEND,

Mr Mellish

If it didn't cost the premium it does i wouldnt feel so strong about it. I thought they had sorted all the issues with the latest batch.

This is why I have been able to resist the strong VAS pull on the IQ. They refuse to allow anyone to discount, which strikes me as arrogance at this point (could be wrong). I've had what I consider to be two premium purchases. The Crafty turned out to be totally worth it, thanks to excellent S&B customer service. The ESV was a horrible waste of money. This thread suggests Davinci support is not on par with S&B. I keep hoping Davinci will give in but I'm happy to wait it out. If S&B comes out with something new and interesting as I hold off on the IQ, I'll forget all about the IQ.

exime

This is why I have been able to resist the strong VAS pull on the IQ. They refuse to allow anyone to discount, which strikes me as arrogance at this point (could be wrong). I've had what I consider to be two premium purchases. The Crafty turned out to be totally worth it, thanks to excellent S&B customer service. The ESV was a horrible waste of money. This thread suggests Davinci support is not on par with S&B. I keep hoping Davinci will give in but I'm happy to wait it out. If S&B comes out with something new and interesting as I hold off on the IQ, I'll forget all about the IQ.

The Crafty was a major problem child too. I think multiple people have had 3-5 RMAs. They had to upgrade people to the Mighty the problem got so bad.

Davinci IQ customer service is fine. They sent me a new device within 2 weeks of my RMA for free.

Ramie121

Loving The IQ but two problems:

1) bowl size is huge and I am having trouble finding the spacers as they are sold out in most places in the UK.

2) The device gets very hot, so looking for some suggestions?

3) The draw is very hard, is this normal? I get no cloud

Cheers

Last edited:
Ramie121,

Vambo1980

Just a suggestion to try that worked for me, while my issue was slightly different you never know. Try taking the battery out and stick a screw driver down in there where the connector flap is. Just give it a little love pushing it in a few times, don't feel afraid to really get in there. Pop the battery back in and see what happens. I've had my IQ for 7 months now and this just developed last month and seems to be good now. Seems like it is possible its making a poor connection with the battery down there. Hopefully that's all it is, but if not I'm sure your replacement will be fine. The IQ is a beast when working properly.

Hi Tru3leg3end

Thanks for the info, although I don't want to mess with the unit. It literally didn't work a full session out the box. If I'd have used it for a week or two and been enjoying it I would be fiddling with it, but for £200+ I'd expect quality control to be better. I've got lots of vapes (FF2, CFX, CF, Alternate, Crafty @>900hrs, vapcap and numerous others that are collecting dust) all of them work and they all worked to some extent out of the box... I've never had that feeling of shit this a new vape that cost me £200+ and it's not got me ripped and it's just wasted .3g of top grade..wtf!!!! Ill never get over it!
Ill be getting a refund on this one. Haha

I got a discount, I got £40 off but it was through a reseller.
Maybe I shouldn't be moaning so much, I'm not missing the money or the vape and I know ill get a refund but I'm lucky other people might not be in this position and had to save up for it so sharing my experience with fellow FC community may help someone out. I brought it because of the discount.. and hoping it would be a taste upgrade on my 900hr crafty.
If S&B brought out a new portable I would most likely buy it up.. the old girl I've got has been a pleasure to suck on for the last 2 & 1/2years!

So even though I want a refund (which by law I'm entitled) Davinci want me to send the unit all the way to Spain at my expense (£14.00) to have it evaluated..

They didn't answer any of my questions in the response. I just got an automated reply with an RMA ticket.
I'll be sending it back to the reseller no way I'm paying to send it to Spain. All I have done here is buy a duff and be out of pocket for it. Why I should have to pay to return it is beyond me. Why should I lose out?

Last edited:
Vambo1980,

BigJr48

1) bowl size is huge and I am having trouble finding the spacers as they are sold out in most places in the UK.

Cheers

Re: #3 Draw resistance

The IQ has very little to no draw resistance, next bowl pack it loose and switch mouthpieces & try the 10mm adapter/mouthpiece that has better draw with plenty of clouds.

kiddvudu2

Cheers

Hey Ramie121 - I have a suggestion for your #2 question. I posted about this a while back with pictures, but the asparagus rubber bands have worked perfectly for me. You can position them anywhere you want and also use more than one if you choose. You can still see the LED readout and the button as well. Recently I have been intentionally positioning mine over the button because it feels better there for me and it doesn't prohibit the use of the button either. Have a look:

2017-06-22%2007.41.12.jpg

Here is my original post with more pics:

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/the-davinci-iq.22792/page-88#post-1105748

Last edited:

exime

Cheers

1) spacers help a lot. I don't use the IQ with a full bowl and only use the IQ spacers. Currently my setup is a metal screen at the bottom so that you can pack it down better without clogging. Then I put in 1/2 to 3/4 chamber of material and then pack it down with the spacer to about 1/4 of the chamber by closing the lid over the large spacer. I pack it until the lid has a little bit of resistance when closing so you know it's packing. Then I test draw resistance and it's usually good. After it heats up the resistance usually gets better anyway. This still yields a 10 minute session for me.

If draw resistance is too hard then you have to re-pack. Draw resistance shouldn't be like a milkshake.

Last edited:

Ramie121

Hey Ramie121 - I have a suggestion for your #2 question. I posted about this a while back with pictures, but the asparagus rubber bands have worked perfectly for me. You can position them anywhere you want and also use more than one if you choose. You can still see the LED readout and the button as well. Recently I have been intentionally positioning mine over the button because it feels better there for me and it doesn't prohibit the use of the button either. Have a look:

2017-06-22%2007.41.12.jpg

Here is my original post with more pics:

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/the-davinci-iq.22792/page-88#post-1105748

I saw your original post actually and thought it was very clever. I will have to go on the hunt for a few of them elastic bands now. Thanks mate

Ramie121,

kiddvudu2

1) spacers help a lot. I don't use the IQ with a full bowl and only use the IQ spacers. Currently my setup is a metal screen at the bottom so that you can pack it down better without clogging. Then I put in 1/2 to 3/4 chamber of material and then pack it down with the spacer to about 1/4 of the chamber by closing the lid over the large spacer. I pack it until the lid has a little bit of resistance when closing so you know it's packing. Then I test draw resistance and it's usually good. After it heats up the resistance usually gets better anyway. This still yields a 10 minute session for me.

If draw resistance is too hard then you have to re-pack. Draw resistance shouldn't be like a milkshake.

DaVinci glass spacers are well worth it! Plenty of benefits. I don't use them with every sesh, but I do use them regularly. I like to carry a paper clip with me to either stir through the hot spacer and to insert and remove hot spacer.

Test draw is a must with every pack. Helps u get to know the device!

Cheers!

Top Bottom