1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

The CRAFTY Plus By Storz & Bickel

Discussion in 'Portable Vaporizers' started by biohacker, Nov 8, 2019.

1. biohacker

biohacker Well-Known Member

2. invertedisdead

invertedisdead High Standards

It's too bad these are still electronically governed to not reach the same max temperature as the flagship Volcano.

3. biohacker

Neither is the plug in beast, The Plenty. I personally don't mind, as I feel that 210c is plenty of heat for purer vaporization, especially with the cooling units. Not too mention heater/battery limitations, and more convection than say, the Solo 2.

JCat, blackstone and invertedisdead like this.
  4. invertedisdead

invertedisdead High Standards

I feel ya my brotha, I think it just depends on the condition, my friend with the Mighty seems to have gone back to combustion... doesn't seem to get the chronic pain relief with vaping like smoking a bong hit?

Could be mental though, hard to freakin say!

biohacker, JCat and blackstone like this.
  5. biohacker

Combustion/bong hits are a completely different :worms:. He may be better off with something that has much more conduction/hotter temps like the Solo 2 perhaps.

I think S&B aims more toward the "healthier" side of things, since they do have medical certified devices, which I do believe includes the Mighty Medic and Volcano medic.

Looking forward to reports from the Crafty+ early adopters. Nice to see the warranty bump up to 3 years with S&B (if registered).

My only concern as it was with the Crafty was the rapidly degrading battery. But that's when @JCat mods comes to the rescue!? :brow: Or perhaps the new circuitry will help prevent it? :hmm:

invertedisdead and Jill NYC like this.
  6. JCat

JCat Well-Known Member Accessory Maker

You’ll still have the battery dying eventually; so I’ll of course end up offering battery replacements for any devices out of warranty.

How soon the battery dies will be dependant on usage of course ... if you always run it down, you’ll get less cycles and it will be harder on it (it’s a 27w heater so peak current draw is 6.5-7.5A or so depending on battery voltage)

7. cheeseholidays

cheeseholidays Well-Known Member

I have one in hand.

8. BigC’sTowing

BigC’sTowing New Member

How often do you use the Crafty/Mighty filling aid?

blackstone likes this.
  9. davesmith

davesmith Well-Known Member Glass Blower

Hmmm so how much better is the battery? And what can we expect to be covered by warranty considering the shambles theyve had with the last model? I really wanted a crafty but without a removable battery i need to know its gonna hold its own for at least a few bowls

10. biohacker

It's significant. Preliminary reports have indicated that it's about double from the Crafty at 6+ bowls according to @ohmygodimsohigh , however things like connecting to BT, temp etc will obviously affect it. It also heats up much faster, about 30%. I'm just curious how quickly it will degrade from new, because the OG Crafty plummeted quickly.

Other than the lack of a digital screen, it's competing heavily with the Mighty now. Since they didn't raise the price on Crafty+, it's a pretty good buy for a portable overall, and quite possibly the best on the market considering its form factor. The triple click to max temp is also an appreciated feature now.

I've never had to use their warranty, but it's been spectacular in the past with simply new in box units being sent out, if the claim was legitimate. Of course, there may always be fuckery and CS issues with this company as well, so there's that. I personally have mixed feelings about it, but buying from @PuffItUp would probably quell that, since I think he processes the RMA's for you AFAIK.

ShayWhiteGrow, Jill NYC and davesmith like this.
  11. davesmith

davesmith Well-Known Member Glass Blower

Thanks for that info dude. I'm very interested in this now

biohacker likes this.
  12. biohacker

Anytime! Check out the recent Modern Cannabists episode for more info, as well as @ohmygodimsohigh has a video on it, and that dude is funny AF! I'm very interested in this too as well! :nod:

ShayWhiteGrow likes this.
  13. BestBuds

BestBuds Well-Known Member

S&B not including the accessories anymore with the crafty + is like buying new nike shoes but there are no laces because they upgraded the insole. A marginally better heat up time and a battery that functions the way it should have a few years ago is not enough of a + to start taking away accessories and have it be justified. Imo

This is S&B showing in a definitive way that they now care more about the $ than the culture/movement/herb/consumer.

Urahara and joner like this.
  14. biohacker

Definitely agree on the battery, but 30% faster heat up is marginal? What accessories are not included anymore? AFAIK, they removed the sick wooden horse hair brush.
    • 1 pc. CRAFTY+ Vaporizer
    • 1 pc. USB Cable
    • 3 pcs. Base Seal Ring, small
    • 3 pcs. Normal Screen, small
    • 3 pcs. Coarse Screen, small
    • 2 pcs. Drip Pad, small
    • 1 pc. Dosing Capsule
    • 1 pc. Instruction for Use (concise)
    • 1 pc. Safety Instructions
    Nothing new here :lol:

Urahara and BestBuds like this.
  15. BestBuds

BestBuds Well-Known Member

30% faster heat up time is not worth the hype and the "new product launch" they did. There is more they don't include besides the brush. The herb funnel is another piece.
    But it's small inexpensive stuff they are no longer including. That's why I compared it to not getting laces with your new shoes. They are laces! Throw them in to make your customers happy! They don't cost that much! :lol:
    I am just being a baby. I had so many hopes for the S&B refresh and none of the things that were super important were done. If they gave me a battery door I wouldn't care about how long the battery lasts and I would be happy knowing that once my battery died my vape wasn't a brick. Make it a proprietary battery for all I care! :doh: ugh! It makes me crazy!

Grepper and biohacker like this.
  16. biohacker

What hype? They replaced the Crafty with the + at the exact same price. Okay, so they eliminated the brush and filling tool, both of which many people never even used, that are only worth a few bucks. In exchange, they created the vape with the battery that it should have had (actually the circuit board). Would you have preferred no changes? The max temp triple click is also quite valuable.

Not really sure how much happier they would make customers, and the costs do add up, and they did start including dosing capsules a while back.

I feel you on the swappable batteries, but that won't happen. It's pretty sad considering the lack of battery longevity, but they have a busine$$ model that keeps them profitable, and customers continue to support them due to lack of options/competition. I feel that the most important refresh is the change to circuitry/battery that now rivals the Mighty. That in itself is massive, especially considering the price is the same.

I'm no fanboy and cringe at some S&B CS stories, but i'm always happy to see new stuff from established companies in this industry. Or even new companies but I haven't seen anything worth the time. Although the Grasshopper looks like it may be time for "retail" in time :lol:

Jill NYC likes this.
  17. joner

joner Well-Known Member

I don't know what it is about that thing, but I just love using it. Even if it's just a bowls amount that I have ground up, I'll load it in there and twist it on top. It's unique or something? soothing?

blackstone, BestBuds and biohacker like this.
  18. biohacker

It definitely prevents messy loading for OCD types like me! :lol: I always cringed at crumbs around the outside of the bowl. It's definitely an effective tool, but not for everyone.

joner likes this.
  19. Vaporcussion

Vaporcussion Well-Known Member

The OG Crafty (which I bought for $400) had 4 bowls per charge out of the gate, then went down to 3. Then, S&B came out with 20% more battery power version, and that was 6 bowls per charge. I assumed now, it would be 8 bowls per charge? Doesn't exactly seem like double, unless you compare it to the OG Crafty. I welcome the update, but don't think it warranted a + sign. I ended up trading that first Crafty in for a Mighty, and never looked back. Waiting for a Mighty +

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  20. biohacker

But...marketing! :lol:

Jill NYC, Vaporcussion and calimac like this.
  21. blackstone

blackstone Well-Known Member

Never since capsules, I think I had stopped using it before that also.

I'm one of the few who liked those grinders but I went and got one of the larger ones and I prefer that, so I have about 3 of those small ones brand new, and two filling aids laying there doing nothing,
    and I also thought of these comments in the Volcano Hybrid thread:
    Plus I met this guy lately who really strongly dislikes most uses of plastic for the slow break down in the environment if any alternative exists at all, made me think a bit.
    Many people have fancy grinders, and maybe they got complaints about plastic use, or misinterpreted complaints about using too much plastic in their vapes haha!

I prefer no orange plastic bits to a more expensive Crafty+ too, and I'm glad the brush is still on the site cheap if I do need a new one.
    Although when selling a vape used it was nice to have the unused grinders to include!

That first guy on instagram was saying 9 plus bowls I think, but he was unaware of the triple press boost to full temperature.
    As biohacker said it could depend on factors too. I know ohmygodimsohigh is using some pretty resinous HQ looking material at times!
    The faster heat up, increased airflow and ability to blast through a tiny load quickly might be very useful to me, I never needed much more battery than the 20% more batt model i have.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    VaporWare, biohacker and Vaporcussion like this.
  22. biohacker

Oh man, did you see @VCBud early review/live feed on it? :rofl:I still can't stop laughing, shit was PURE GOLD! I think he really likes that filling tool!:lol:

https://forum.vapelife.com/discussion/6066/crafty-/p5

You're the best Bud! You should be a comedian bro! :tup:

karec likes this.
  23. blackstone

blackstone Well-Known Member

I didn't see it yet (thanks for the link), but I think I remember him liking that filler back in the day.
    He'll be pleased to know they still stock it cheap on their site! Reduce Reuse Recycle,
    Save our oceans:tinfoil:

biohacker likes this.
  24. terminally_chill

terminally_chill

Quite intriguing, indeed….

25. paytonpenn

paytonpenn Level 30 Nature/Healer

I think the plus is fine. Id hope a Crafty 2 is actually different this is essentially the Crafty S like how Apple makes their second iteration with minor improvements.

I'm about 2 hours in on use and its actually not a bad device. A bit pricey still.. 180 would be more just but definitely an improvement over a lot of chinese or rebranded models overall.

Summer and AJS like this.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors