1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

The Crafty by Storz & Bickel

Discussion in 'Portable Vaporizers' started by Roger D, Oct 16, 2014.

1. Kob

Kob Windowlicker

I'm trying to extend the auto-shutoff time with the new app but I guess it's for fw V02.51 as I can't find the setting? Mine's running V02.08.

My current Crafty has about 4 hours of use. I'd still totally send it to S&B and pay for the battery swap (:cool:) & fw upgrade if needed.

2. lumholtz

lumholtz New Member

'User defined alarm tones'.
    This could be fun...

3. Vapinmofo

Vapinmofo Well-Known Member

4. justcametomind

justcametomind IT'S TIME!

You discovered something amazing!
    I'd need that password to be on a text format. I tried to copy it manually but it's way too long.

5. lumholtz

lumholtz New Member

6. Kentucky Wax

Kentucky Wax Member

I'm on my 4th Crafty since May, 2015. I just opened #4. #3 lasted about 10 months, around 120 hours. Sticker on the new box says 20% MORE BATTERY POWER! We shall see. Firmware V02.53.

7. kaisersosay415

kaisersosay415 Well-Known Member

Pulled the trigger on a crafty with the newest fw. Was real hesitant about getting it due to all the negative but the size is what really made it a determining factor over the mighty. Hope that it being the latest I can get plenty of life before a return.

8. Mr Mellish

Mr Mellish Well-Known Member

So I fired up the Crafty app today on my iPad to find that the software had obviously been updated since I used it last.

The son of a bitch told me to clean my Crafty. I think he should mind his own damn business; how does he know if it's dirty? Looks clean to me. If it's the default message, you'd think it would say something like "Hey, don't forget to clean your Crafty on occasion." Of course, the current message could be as "nice" as German instructions get!

9. jareds

jareds Member

Sorry that it's taken me two weeks to reply. But I just received a new crafty from S&B as a replacement for the crafty I sent in that was experiencing battery issues. Start to finish, it took a total of 10 days. In my opinion, it's awesome customer service

vapviking likes this.
  10. jareds

jareds Member

FW 2.53

Stupid question: since S&B sent me a new unit with a different serial number, does that mean that I have a new two year warranty?

11. Jill NYC

Jill NYC Portable Collector

Not a stupid question, it's one many have asked. Unfortunately, the answer is no. The 2 year warranty is based on original Crafty purchase.

12. jareds

jareds Member

I figured as much. It would be too easy, buy 1 crafty and you're set for life. The only thing that threw me off was that some people in this thread said they were on their 4th or 5th unit.

Thanks for clarifying

Jill NYC likes this.
  13. vapviking

vapviking Well-Known Member

Not to make you nervous, but I used mine hard and a lot. So I went thru 4 Crafty's in less than 2 years. Then I asked for and was given a huge discount/ trade-in to a Mighty.
    I think some incremental improvements have been made to Crafty since my experience and chances are you'll be fine.
    But it's not altogether bad to wish for failure at 23 months, they'll still send you another new one!
    If your Crafty experience lasts ,say, 2-1/2 years, that's only about ten bucks a month anyway!

jareds likes this.
  14. jareds

jareds Member

I agree with your logic completely. I love this thing. hopefully it lasts for a while, but if it breaks after the warranty ends, I'd buy it again.

ktmstick and vapviking like this.
  15. cgod

cgod Active Member

Noticed my Crafty just turned off whilst heating up....

16. Little Bill

Little Bill Oldest stoner on FC

When mine does that it just needs a charge.

Jill NYC likes this.
  17. cgod

cgod Active Member

Had 3 bars, a bit weird will keep an eye out on it

18. b0vver

b0vver Member

just received my replacement! new crafty with +20% of battery life, v02.53 (v02.00.03 BLE)
    with no response to my letter :D
    thank you S&B, it was fast!

meanwhile was vaping with vapcap m and became nervous

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  19. Osn Dosn

Osn Dosn Well-Known Member

NEIN, go wash your mouth, that's racist!!!11

I wonder if I should really get a new Crafty after my 3 year old one got "stolen".. but looks like no real competition hit the market in all that time anyway

20. 5secondmale

5secondmale New Member

i actually tried to RMA my 2nd Crafty with 450 hours on it, and had bought the first over 2 and a half years ago. it was accepted, and i sent them back my Crafty with the RMA invoice i got for my 2nd one. i'm now sitting here with a brand new crafty with 20% more battery life.

i think i saw i post in this thread saying that a S&B rep said that the warranty does reset every RMA, but i cant find it again.

21. justcametomind

It can't be possible. Think about it. If that was true people would buy a Crafty and be set for life.

Mr Mellish likes this.
  22. 5secondmale

5secondmale New Member

the Crafty i have in my hand certainly isn't imaginary. i didn't think it was possible either until i got the UPS tracking number. i thought i would be turned down, but i figured it was worth a shot.

23. justcametomind

You were lucky to have it replaced, but the fact that every RMA resets the warranty is not a rule at all. This thing comes out every now and then but it's not the modus operandi that S&B uses, or any company that would like to stay in business would use.
    The MFLB has life warranty, the Crafty doesn't. IF someone is lucky enough to have a better treatment than 2 yrs warranty, this doesn't represent a rule.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017 at 2:04 AM
    Jill NYC likes this.
  24. 5secondmale

5secondmale New Member

25. vapviking

vapviking Well-Known Member

You may or may not be an exception to the rule.
    I have it in writing from S&B, stating exactly when my warranty expired. I had 4 Crafty's, all 4 of which were under the same original warranty term.

My second Crafty, of that same group, had gone bad (flashing lights, as I recall) and I was actually denied warranty service, even though I was still in year 1. They told me I had "too many charge cycles" on the battery and this is why it had failed. It was pretty clearly bullshit, at least when compared to my other rma's and to many, many other use-stories related in these pages. Even so, I had to pay for a battery service on that one. Of course they just sent me a new unit. I've yet to hear clearly that they've replaced anyone's battery, btw - I think they always simply send a new unit.

After that experience, I wrote to S&B asking for a clear explanation of when my warranty would expire. They wrote me back twice (for clarification) and though the story they gave me has not been repeated by anyone else in the forum, they wrote, and I paraphrase,

'The warranty period begins on the day we first receive the unit in for it's first warranty service.'

Technically, this means that if you bought a Crafty and it worked for, say exactly 90 days, then you sent it in and they got it 5 days later, that day would start the 2 year clock ticking -- actually 95 days after your purchase --regardless of how many subsequent failures/replacements are sent out. Note that this in contradiction to the stated policy that warranty is good for 2 years from date of purchase.

So, not that I'm arguing with you, rather, it may be that your story is confirming what I was told. It may be that your 2 years began on the day they received your first unit in for service.

All this said, I don't in any way agree that the warranty might "reset" when you get an rma replacement.

I've documented all of this many moons ago in this thread. Ultimately, I got off the Crafty merry-go-round and upgraded to a Mighty. Warranty, whatever it was, is clearly over and my now long-time Mighty is still going strong.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors