1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

The Crafty by Storz & Bickel

Discussion in 'Portable Vaporizers' started by Roger D, Oct 16, 2014.

1. AgentO

AgentO New Member

Hi All,

Just joined the forum after a long time lurking. My third Crafty has given up 3 months outside the 2 year limit, S&B are offering me a new one with a discount, but really, more money for such a flaky (but otherwise great) product that will probably also be dead shortly after the next 2 years, and all the hassle of arranging it's trips back to Germany.

I've been through most of the Crafty issues, broken button, not heating, not charging, broken case, and I was reasonably OK with the replacement policy & service. My feeling is that the Crafty was a kind of afterthought following the Mighty for stealth vaping, but the whole design is just expecting too much from the battery. So after trying to use the first 2 as a main vape, I also got a Mighty, so that the 3rd Crafty gets an easy life. It has only been used out walking, at the pub, concerts etc , and has been babied to an extreme, I've always allowed it to cool down before recharging, almost never run totally flat, only ever used the S&B charger (and a USB pack very occasionally if out & about - it's designed to allow this after all), it's on 71 hours, v2.10 firmware, S/n 456xx.

The problems started a few days ago, went out, seemingly with a full charge, but when I tried to use it it started OK then suddenly dropped from 'full' charge to nothing at ~180C. Tried to charge it again, it starts OK with the first bar flashing, then suddenly jumps to fully charged & stops charging. Using it then just does the same thing. Plugging in the charger now shows green,red,blue then either goes to solid blue (as if charged), or nothing.

I have got myself a Pax3 (arriving today yay) to keep me going outdoors, but have a feeling I'm going to miss the Crafty clouds & would love to keep it going. I've been through a a few vapes already, DaVinci original, Ascent, MiniVap, but the S&B ones just work better when they work.

I am looking to see if I can repair it myself by replacing the battery, it seems doable, though I'm no expert on soldering etc.

The question is, does anyone know if fitting a new battery is likely to sort this out? It seems to me that the unit is thinking the battery is full when it is clearly not, so maybe the battery will just not take the charge.

Cheers

Little Bill and Crafty Vaper like this.
  2. Jospapaia

Jospapaia Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    So I finally come to realization that I need a new electric vaporizer after using the vapman for the last three years.

After reading a lot of reviews about the crafty, pax 3 and the de vinci IQ, I decided that the crafty is the chosen one. However, some of the messages here made it look like it has 2 years limitiation which really bummed me over. I really like its size and I don't mind the battery since I'm going to use it mainly at home, but spending this much on a vaporizer that will hold for two years is not really attractive (specially after owning a vapman which looks like it can last forever).

So I guess my question is - is it really so? Is it inevitable?
    If it is would you suggest to spend a little extra and get the mighty or pick one of the other options I've listed above?

I guess it will be difficult to get a straight answer to this but I would appreciate your opinions anyways.

Thanks!

Little Bill likes this.
  3. Mr. Me2

Mr. Me2 Well-Known Member

Hi @Jospapaia !

Personally, I don't think the Crafty is a 2 year vape. But the batteries can generally only hold so many hours before they need to be replaced. So I guess it depends on how hard/heavy you use it.

S&B give it a relatively short warranty but they're good about RMAs. Mine crapped out and they sent me a new one. And they do have a battery replacement program.

I do recommend getting extra cu's. And other possible extras: I use a salt spoon to fill mine, and I suggest a RYOT Packratz (its smell proof).

Enjoy!

Little Bill and Jospapaia like this.
  4. Used2use

Used2use Landrace racer

imo only reason for a crafty is the smaller size - if u can live with a little bigger then the mighty is worth the few extra bucks (durability, a bit faster heat up, faster and pass through charging, larger cooling unit...)

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
    Little Bill and Jospapaia like this.
  5. Little Bill

Little Bill Oldest stoner on FC

If you are a light "user" and use "on the go", then the crafty makes sense. Is you use mostly at home, then the Solo 2 is better in many respects.

Jospapaia likes this.
  6. Vapology

Vapology Member

OMEiAM, cloudsosmoke, b0vver and 6 others like this.
  7. Kob

Kob Windowlicker

lumholtz likes this.
  8. diandiandian

diandiandian Member

Isn't it the crafty will get overheat warning if it turns on for a prolong of time?

9. vapviking

vapviking Well-Known Member

I don't think Crafty overheats from simply being on for a prolonged time, but it will sometimes overheat (and shut down) if being heavily hit for a prolonged period of time, like, with multiple users at higher temps.

10. b0vver

b0vver Member

80 hours for my Crafty, RIP, it was a long run :D

the problem was:
    switching on > heating up to 180 in 3-4 minutes then > overheating > then switching off automatically, and finally > red/yellow led blinking :(

i will send mine to their warehouse in Germany and will also attach a letter:
    [​IMG]

i'm not very good at speaking english but i've done what i've done :D

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  11. diandiandian

diandiandian Member

By high tempt, you mean 400+?

12. cgod

cgod Well-Known Member

Guys ive got four hours in my crafty, i fully charged it yesterday night,ive realised heating up my first bowl of the day, as soon as it heated up it dropped from a full charge (6) to 5, how did it drop a bar after just simply heating up

13. vapviking

That doesn't sound typical, but...
    I was just reading yesterday on S&B's site about batteries and calibration. Yours doesn't seem old enough to need it, but they do suggest occasionally running battery all the way down, then fully charging, to re-calibrate the status meter. So, it seems possible that you just have a temporary glitch in the meter.

Sure. My experience with overheating came when I started coupling to a water tool and could increase to max. temp. use.

14. Crafty Vaper

Crafty Vaper Ain't easy being green

No update until now?!

Has nobody answers to the questions I mentioned a few posts before?

Hi fellas! My Crafty works 321 hours withoriginal battery now. I still get 3 short 8 minute sessions out of one charge. I prefer to do two 15 minute sessions and then charge.

I have got a question to all of you who have changed the battery in your crafty:

Can you send me a little information how to do it and which battery will be perfect? Idon't want an exchangeable battery. The crafty works great how it is built , I only want to renew the battery. Thanks for your awnser , I appreciate it!

15. diandiandian

diandiandian Member

My sweet spot is around 360~380. Will I have the overheat problem for a prolong use?

16. vapviking

That seems unlikely.

17. b0vver

b0vver Member

my crafty overheated but i never used at 200°c>, my settings was 185°-195° always

18. zenmasterofzinfandel

zenmasterofzinfandel Well-Known Member

@b0vver <I can understand your English better than some of the seemingly 'native' English speakers on this forum, don't think you should have much problems with us understanding you.
    Seems *very* likely to me as I have had that happen countless times @5-8min into a session @~default boost temp of 195ºC...never @ base starting temp, no matter how long I have had it on...but boost above 370-380ºF; right around there when heating more than 5min, usually when the battery has deteriorated from prolonged heating/use(rarely have problems with over-heating on new/fresh full capacity battery)>>>less capacity, results in faster heating up of the battery> earlier warning messages from the app. To be clear, I am referring to the message you get from the app display that tells you to turn off your Crafty to let the battery cool down, clearly states battery is too warm, not the Crafty unit itself(even though a hot battery means the electronics module is baking & gradually being damaged).
    [​IMG]Crafty-CU-180flip by zenmasterofzinfandel, on Flickr

Although S&B have apparently increased the capacity, I would bet the family farm they will never use a really low-impedance 18650 battery like the Samsung...whatever they are using, it's generating more heat in use just from internal resistance, than a comparable(& higher capacity @same amp load) Samsung would.
    [​IMG]

b0vver and biohacker like this.
  19. biohacker

biohacker Fucking Combustion Since 2006

Exact same experience here, on multiple Crafty's.

20. vapviking

I've been referring to the auto shut down of the unit due to apparent overheating.
    But I'm going to let go of this and leave the discussion to current Crafty users, as I traded up to a Mighty 2 years ago and my memory may not be serving the discussion well.

21. jareds

jareds Member

Good morning,
    I am sending my crafty in for battery repair/replacement. Can I send it USPS? Are there any restrictions about sending a lithium ion battery. The USPS website says it's ok as long as it's in a device and not loose, but also says you can't ship defective batteries through the mail. Thanks in advance.

22. vapviking

If it's as you say, then it seems you don't have a defective battery, just a worn out battery (or at worst you don't know which it is) and it's in a device, so it sounds okay.
    I've always shipped vapes via USPS and when the rep at the counter asks all the questions about liquids, batteries, etc., I just say "no" and there's never been a problem.

Please do let us know if you actually get a battery replacement service or if it's only a discount offered toward a new device.

Btw, have you told S&B about your problem (They might send you a shipping label...?)? Are you beyond 2yr warranty period?

23. jareds

jareds Member

Thanks for getting back to me. The unit is within the warranty period. They did not give me a shipping label. I'll let you know what happens.

24. diandiandian

diandiandian Member

Will the crafty shut off by itself when receiving the "warning message" from the app? If not, can you ignore the message and keep using it or you have to let it cool down. So it will occur more often when using the boost mode.

25. Jill NYC

Jill NYC Portable Collector

It does not turn off after the warning. And it will keep going if you ignore it. I believe ignoring it degrades battery life, but others can speak to that better than I. I rarely look at the app, therefore don't even know when the warning happens. For me, ignorance is bliss.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors