1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

The Crafty by Storz & Bickel

Discussion in 'Portable Vaporizers' started by Roger D, Oct 16, 2014.

1. JCat

JCat Well-Known Member

I just realized I never answered you on this even though you asked twice (I was looking for some info on how I did it too ... :lol:)! Sorry!

At any rate, it was really quite simple, all I did was I found the check where it was going "if password = password entered, then" with "if 1 = 1, then" or "if true, then" (can't remember exactly). In the code it was doing a check of the entered password against a hashed/encrypted password, so just tweaked the if statement condition.

2. Little Bill

Little Bill Oldest stoner on FC

I got a fair deal on a second hand Crafty so I now have a rotation.

blackstone and Surf Monkey like this.
  3. blackstone

blackstone Well-Known Member

Just when I thought I needed treatment for wanting a Crafty to go with my Mighty, a Bi-Crafty owner says hi!
    These units are nice performers and what I'm finding is, there doesn't seem to be that much else around if you want a consistent, user friendly performance portable.
    Unless you're open to Pax 3, expensive FF2, or all that wood glass hold-yer-finger-here jiggymapokery, there's almost a shortage of other worthy competitors.

I've always loved the look of the Crafty too, they're like the original modern art icons!
    If you like real style, a cheaper knock-off is rarely going to work for you.

JCat and ktmstick like this.
  4. ktmstick

ktmstick Well-Known Member

Crafty and mighty are a great combo, and then Crafty only gets used occasionally which I think suits it much better than a daily driver. All parts are interchangeable including cooling units.

blackstone likes this.
  5. blackstone

blackstone Well-Known Member

The Crafty would stay nice and clean with strong battery!
    Capsules would make it great too.
    I'm tempted to go for a Pax this time just for variety and small size, but I'll have to see!
    It's also easier to put the Crafty on the long finger when my Mighty is going like a train.

I might prefer the easier draw with the Crafty now that I think of it.

If all parts are interchangeable then.. yes..
    did anybody see these yet for the Crafty and Mighty?:
    [​IMG]
    http://www.vaporisateur.net/accesso...-embout-buccal-en-verre-mighty-et-crafty.html

On the big side. I don't know if they wedge in there tight or you hold it. It would give cooler vapor and probably tasty as any glass MP?
    A novel sighting indeed!

6. vapviking

vapviking Well-Known Member

My first vape was a Pax and I then went to a Pax2 but by that time I also had a Crafty. BIG difference. Next I got a Mighty and now a couple of Grasshoppers. The Pax2 is almost never put to use these days.

The PaX2 works very well, is small, beautiful and extremely well made. Imo it has been out-classed in the actual vape production category.

duff, blackstone and JCat like this.
  7. ChooChooCharlie

ChooChooCharlie Hobo

I like picking up the Crafty after using Mighty, and marveling at how light it is. Also love the way it's shaped, how it fits the hand so well. Actually stealthier than Grasshopper. (in appearance, not time)

@ktmstick - have seven Crafty CUs, and they don't fit on my Mighty well at all; I won't try forcing it on.

Don't think people are gentle enough with CU. I press down slightly while twisting gently.

8. Mr Mellish

Mr Mellish Well-Known Member

It's a sad day in Who-ville.

Last night my Crafty refused to heat up. I assumed the battery was dead and set it aside. This morning, it is doing the red/orange flash. The app reports that the device has 4 bars of battery and the temp is currently 482F (it isn't...I popped the top, pulled out the capsule and it was cold).

This was the replacement I got in month 23 of my original < 400 s/n Crafty. Got it in Nov/Dec and it only has 7 hours on it. She was so young and vibrant...

9. TeeJay1952

TeeJay1952 Well-Known Member

@Mr Mellish
    Click to play YouTube Video

10. Largemusician

Largemusician New Member

I was wondering how I go about sending my volcano back too storz-bickel and I am having problems with my crafty as the charger keeps poping and sometime just stops charging

and I have only done 108 hour is anyone else having this problem

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2017
  11. vapviking

Well this sucks.
    I know that the warranty is 2 years and you my be on the 'expired' side of that -- I think the published warranty does refer two years from date of purchase. But I once asked for clarification about my specific case and the answer came that back (twice) informed me that my two years began on the day the original device was received by them for first warranty claim.
    Interesting and coincidental that this pushed my warranty end date by a few weeks and it just expired on March 19, 2017! even though my date of original purchase was Jan 27, 2015. For you, @Mr Mellish it might add almost two years?!?! and still get you a replacement Crafty.
    You may PM me for any other ?'s about this.
    Good luck, should you choose to pursue this.

Of course, your could always try to reason with them, like, "WTF!, seven hours is, like, bullshit, man!" (which actually might work; they're that good with customer satisfaction...)

First one from S&B;
    "Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry. In regards to the warranty - the first date we received a defective device is when the two year warranty period begins.

Sincerely,

Storz & Bickel America, Inc"

and the second from S&B;

"Greetings,

We are sorry for the confusion. The warranty would begin from the first date we received the device for warranty service, which in your case would be March 19, 2015. Hope this clears things up. Thank you and have a nice day.

Sincerely,

Storz & Bickel America, Inc"

Have you tried another usb charger for your Crafty? Sometimes it's just the wall adapter gone bad, and if you tell S&B (via email) that you've checked it, they will send a new charger without making you return everything.

Have you registered your devices at the S&B website? There is now an online application process (it's very easy to fill out) and then S&B will advise, often giving you a .pdf file with a per-paid shipping label.

12. Mr Mellish

Thanks for the good thoughts, @vapviking. I registered an rma and have approval to send it back. I'm curious to see what happens.

13. t-dub

t-dub Vapor Sloth

Click to play YouTube Video

ChooChooCharlie likes this.
  14. vapviking

Good for you!
    Yes, we're all curious so please keep us posted.

ChooChooCharlie likes this.
  15. dgenge

dgenge Member

Went through 4 Craftys and S&B allowed upgrade to Mighty. I only hope S&B can solve issues because Crafty was sweet when it worked. Love the mighty but Crafty was just smaller and more stealth. Love to see what they are working on for future.

16. vapviking

My trail is the same, 4 Crafty's left in the dust.
    The issues you're talking about (I think!) generally do no crop up with Mighty. Maybe sometimes the broken switch...
    They look similar but are really different animals. Mine's at 18 months and going strong!

17. Joaon

Joaon Well-Known Member

Hi buddies,
    About Craftys issues, I just confirmed with myself that I'm pretty sure the problem is the heater connections.

Here is a Mighty, the heater element is connected by grey wires on the left, and another plug behind the right red/black cable.
    All is firmly connected:
    [​IMG]

Here is a pic of a Crafty, and the faulty push/fit connections :
    [​IMG]

I guess we now know why the Mighty is much more reliable than Crafty ^^

@Vambo1980 did a great job, soldering those faulty connections improved the overall thing (as well as changing the batteries..), as can attest his +600H Crafty .. :evil:;)

Edit: Original post:

another one .. :

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
    duff, t-dub, qwarx and 5 others like this.
  18. vapviking

I like your photo work!
    I thought @Vambo1980 had soldered the Crafty battery connections, eliminating the modular plugs. Are you also able to/intending to solder or otherwise repair that 'resistive joint'?
    Thanks for contributing to the Knowledge.

duff and JCat like this.
  19. Joaon

Joaon Well-Known Member

Nothing in this post is mine, I'm just gathering infos ;)
    Back in the days when I had a Crafty, I soldered it directly after unboxing it!

Surprising that S&B still haven't reacted to this ..
    a simple plug instead of that push/fit would greatly reduce RMAs in my opinion ..
    and greatly improve user experience ..!

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
    cloudsosmoke and vapviking like this.
  20. Kob

Kob Windowlicker

Hey all! For some time now I've been looking for a smell proof, skinny/slim fit case or pouch for my Crafty. It should be as small as possible to fit my jeans' front pocket like Crafty fits just by itself w/ the cooling unit attached.

So far the cases I've found are either too wide or too deep. Any help? :rolleyes:

21. Mr. Me2

Mr. Me2 Well-Known Member

All questions should be so easy! Get the small RYOT PackRatz. I think it's exactly what you're looking for. Fits like a glove.

Little Bill, Kob and cloudsosmoke like this.
  22. Kob

Kob Windowlicker

Thanks for the reply! I Googled it and thought it could be even more snug fit? Or does it just look like there's a bit of an extra room because of the removable pocket & pics with Pax in it?

23. Mr. Me2

Mr. Me2 Well-Known Member

I use it for my Crafty and there's a little room for some flat extra tools (I keep a poker, salt spoon, and the S&B brush), but not room for much else.

I'd be surprised if you can find a better fitting smell proof case. But it is definitely more than just a skin over the Crafty.

Hope this helps.

Little Bill and Kob like this.
  24. Kob

Kob Windowlicker

Yup, gonna order one as it seems to be the best option so far. Thanks for your help!

Little Bill and Mr. Me2 like this.
  25. Mr Mellish

So, last Thursday I sent my 2nd Crafty back to S&B. Recall that I got my original unit replaced during month 23 of the 2 year warranty. Got the new unit in December and had 7 hours on it when it died.

Yesterday, I got an e-mail that my unit had been repaired or replaced and I'll have it Friday. Amazing, really... in terms of speed of return AND just the fact that they replaced a warranty unit after the original warranty had expired. Works for me. This one was a good investment.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors