• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

The Cloud EVO Anticipation Thread

CH

I didn't get that email, only a tracking email from Auspost saying the consignment has been initiated, bit of a downer as I wanted to order some extra ELB's with it.

CH,

Anonymouse

Sith I care
I didn't get that email, only a tracking email from Auspost saying the consignment has been initiated, bit of a downer as I wanted to order some extra ELB's with it.

I would hope at the very least they will all come with a whole bunch of extra ELBs anyway, after all this delay. Those things can't be more than a few cents per unit to make, even if they sell for US$5 each, so it seems like a relatively cheap gesture to make.

Anonymouse,

CH

I would hope at the very least they will all come with a whole bunch of extra ELBs anyway, after all this delay. Those things can't be more than a few cents per unit to make, even if they sell for US$5 each, so it seems like a relatively cheap gesture to make.

Received the EVO yesterday :clap:, it came with the usual two ELB's but nothing else.

Would like a heatshield and some rubber bands but looks like AV don't have them yet, can I order them from VXL direct?

CH,

Teedub

geez not even the promised heatshield, vxl really go above and beyond with there service, stingeeey! :disgust:

Mines expected to take over a bloody week. Would have been nice to at least cover the express post, but nope.

I've learnt to expect the least from this company.

Teedub,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
fwiw, I don't think the heat shield is worth fretting over. I prefer the wristband I got from a friend that simply marks where it gets hot...don't grab above the band! I prefer to let me Evo breathe. To each his own, but I don't even use mine.

stickstones,
Reactions: t-dub

treeman

I would not be using my evo without the heat shield. I have pretty thick skin (do a lot of rock climbing) and can generally grab stuff out the oven no worries. But the evo gets hot!! I haven't tried the wristbands, as stickstones says they could be totally fine but I highly rate the heat shield, a fully warmed evo is scalding. It is totally fine if you grab it from the bottom though.

treeman,

Seek

Apprentice Daydreamer
The heat shield protects against heat much better than wristbands.
Wristbands hold better on the EVO, althrough they will slowly climb up when you grab them so you would need to lower then every now and then.
The heat shield can slide up easily, but when the power cable is connected it's held by it. Also you can add friction by putting a wristband under the shield.

Because of that the former half-size heat shiled must have been terrible.
But the full size one is great, I vote for it agains wristbands.

Seek,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
my wristband thing certainly does not protect anyone. The hot top is fully exposed. I just use it to tell me where to grab it. I had the former half sized one and didn't like it. I haven't had the full size one, but I know I personally wouldn't like it for the same reason I didn't like the half one...except it looks better!

stickstones,

Anonymouse

Sith I care
fwiw, I don't think the heat shield is worth fretting over. I prefer the wristband I got from a friend that simply marks where it gets hot...don't grab above the band! I prefer to let me Evo breathe. To each his own, but I don't even use mine.

It's more about yet another broken promise, like when they told us in the thread during the IndieGoGo pledge drive that Early Birds and up would get a dry mouthpiece as well as a hydratube, then backpedalled after the drive closed and said they'd never promised that in the first place. Pretty sure it was SM that posted the original promise, but I can't find it. Also, the Fanatic units were supposed to be made of a different material to the standard units, but they've just decided not to bother with that on the working international replacements, even though we paid for that feature and now aren't getting it just because they don't want to pay for it again. It'd be nice if we could decide to withhold part payment and still get our units, but it seems that sort of thing only works in VXL's favour, not the customer's.

But anyway, the heat shield was said to be included as compensation, so quietly omitting it is quite disappointing. Personally, at this point of such extreme delay, I feel compensation should be on the order of an extra hydratube (or choice of hydrafoot 2.0 for Fanatics), PLUS a dozen or more ELBs, but I don't see them ponying up for that. The fact is, American customers got a much better deal that the rest of the world, even though we were promised we'd all be getting the same deal, and while VXL have acknowledged as much with these insultingly insubstantial "compensation" offers, even those have turned out to be lip-service for the most part. Imagine you were still waiting for a working EVO while the thread had been going by for about a year, and VXL showed no signs of giving a damn or even remembering you exist. I expect you wouldn't feel very defensive of them in such a case. We're the customers that funded the initial manufacture of the thing and eighteen months later, they're selling new units to new customers before supplying us ours, or even contacting us to say it's available. Just not at all cool.

And, safety and ergonomics aside, the heat shield will also let the unit hold more heat when saturated, which should add up to a slight performance boost (once saturated). Whether it's a noticable one is another question altogether, but I bet in colder climates, when using the EVO at lower dial settings, it would be.

Also, I personally still haven't heard a single thing from VXL or Australian Vapourisers. I got a mysterious "track and send" advice automailed from Australia post a couple weeks or so back, but it didn't say what it is, and it hasn't arrived, so while it might be an EVO, who knows? I have eBay randomness coming in too. Still, how hard is it to send out a mail to all the customers who've been waiting an extra year to say it's actually ready? It's not like they don't have ALL our email addresses (although, I reconfirmed mine a few months ago - because of the total lack of communication I was getting - and still haven't heard anything since). Possibly they'd pay more notice if our issues were airing in the main thread where all the Americans would read them and let them affect their own purchasing decisions. I suspect VXL are quite happy we're in our own little quiet pocket where basically only us folks stuck waiting are reading the thread, plus occasional mods...

I've been on the knife edge of telling them to forget the whole thing, but doing so would put me out of pocket anyway, not to mention wanting to have something to show for this whole wait. I feel like I lose no matter what I do at this point, and that's entirely on them. :/

Teedub

Nicely put.

I received mine today, no heat shield or the vxnails I ordered. I organised the nails with VXL when they said the evo was about to be shipped, that was several moths ago now.

@Anonymouse My automated auspost tracking email said the package was from AV so I figured it was Australian vaporizers. (yeah they use the z!) Did yours say it was from AV? Shoot them an email they have always been helpful with my past experiences.

Teedub,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Thanks for taking the time to put that post together, @Anonymouse .

I expect you wouldn't feel very defensive of them in such a case.

I hope I didn't come off as being on a particular side. My intent was to assure people without the sleeves that they weren't missing anything. But after reading your post and the long list of disappointments, I can see that anything not provided as promised is going to feel like a slap.

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
My intent was to assure people without the sleeves that they weren't missing anything.
I use my heat shield as a beer coozy because that was the only good use I could find for it . . . :rolleyes:

sleeve.jpg

Anonymouse

Sith I care
Thanks for taking the time to put that post together, @Anonymouse .

I hope I didn't come off as being on a particular side. My intent was to assure people without the sleeves that they weren't missing anything. But after reading your post and the long list of disappointments, I can see that anything not provided as promised is going to feel like a slap.

Yeah, it did feel a bit like you were saying "It doesn't matter if you didn't get what you were promised, as you wouldn't want it anyway", which could easily be interpreted as sticking up for VXL. I just wanted to clarify that we already know the thing is basically useless, but that's not what we're annoyed about. Then it just turned into a generic venting post as it grew. :/

Anonymouse,

Anonymouse

Sith I care
If you're not one of the people still waiting for a working EVO, you weren't included in the "we" anyway.

And the shield is definitely useless if you don't even have a functional unit yet. I wouldn't have thought you'd want to pick it up by the shield, though; it doesn't seem like it'd grip that well? I figured it was just "protection" against accidental touching of the hot area, because like you said, it avoids discomfort; there's no actual danger there unless you plan to stay in contact with it for the extended period it'd take to actually burn you. Sounds like the bands are just as good, if not better in regards to solving this "problem", and we already got those with our broken units, so yes, I think "basically useless" is a fair assessment of this retracted freebie.

Anonymouse,

Seek

Apprentice Daydreamer
I second what max said. For me, it's far from useless. And everyone should get one.
It's not perfect, but it also does what i want from it.
Allow me to comfortably grab the EVO on the top even when heat soaked - something impossible with wristbands.
I like to grab the EVO by the top, it's thinner there, no power cord, no switch, no dial, just the perfect spot to grab unless it wasn't so freaking hot.
These shields tend to slide up easily, but that is solved by the long one as it's held by the power cord and also you can put two or three wristbands under it to add some friction and make it even more soft to the touch.
That way the heat shield barely moves now on my EVO.

And the shield is definitely useless if you don't even have a functional unit yet.
Well, you have a point, not completely useless as t-dub shown above. :D

I wouldn't have thought you'd want to pick it up by the shield, though; it doesn't seem like it'd grip that well?
It grips very well, it's soft and comfortable. I think with some wristbands under the top part of the shield - it grips even better.
Just when the unit is heat soaked, the logos on the shield can actually get almost as hot as wristbands, so I hold it on top by sides.

Seek,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
I didn't like mine because I felt like my unit was overheating with it on. I got a strong electronics smell with it on.

stickstones,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
I didn't like mine because I felt like my unit was overheating with it on. I got a strong electronics smell with it on.
Mine also had serious smell issues. It also covered the Vectra which I like to look at and just felt weird in hand . . . not secure. I use 3 wrist bands and they work perfectly. I can grip EVO by the top for around 10 seconds before I have to put it down. I run my EVO 24/7 with a programmable outlet timer so its always hot.

t-dub,

CH

I received another heatshield yesterday from AusVapes, no email saying it was coming, or the offer of store credit instead after I'd bought one last week. :bang:

CH,

Seek

Apprentice Daydreamer
Few weeks ago I've got 2 vapeXnails so the EVO could do concentrates if some get available.
Today, I've got a bit of concentrate so i could try these nails for the first time.

it took several tries to find a good temp, I combusted at 2 oclock, then on noon adn then even on 10:30 after a while.
So 9-10 should be the temp for nails on my new EVO.

I've used the old one on max to clean the nail and then I smelled something foul, and the old EVO was orange and smoking, the nail being melted into its bamboo. :(

So my forever alive original EVO finally fried itself. And it took my brand new vapeXnail with it :(.
Only 1 left, well, bummer.

The new EVO is still turning itself off randomly with 3 different LED outputs:
blinking green (too sensitive overheat sensing)
or solid red and green (sometimes with red turning off 4 times, probably malfunctioning shut-off timer)

and cannot be turned on when the actual temp is over 1 to 2 oclock, which is where are mostly vape herbs so it gets annoying when it shuts off within a session and I can't turn it on again for a while.

the new one never overheated, it just keep switching off randomly and when it doesn't it work prefectly.

I wanted to send it in eventually while having the old one as a backup for the period, now I don't have a backup. :(

1wsM7mF.jpg

Well, since its busted and they don't want it returned and warranty is on the new one, I'm probably going to open it to see its insides for real.
And if its ok, post them here, I dind't see HD opened EVO anywhere on net so far.

Seek

Apprentice Daydreamer
There were 2 low-res pics of EVOs insides on VapeXhale's instagram when they were running the indiegogo campaign.
I think they are in the internet trash by now.
Well, I would ask SM to post them but I don't have the right screwdriver anyway.
And the Zytel melted near the joint so it probably wouldn't open even if I had one.
Funny looking thing is, that the polyurethane rubber part around the joint is intact.
Even when the Zytel around it is completely molten. :D
it can probably withstand at least as much heat as glass before it melts.

Seek,
Reactions: vakedcow
Top Bottom