The Bud Toaster - (currently: Model 14, version 3)

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
Is this compatible with water filtration? Can you put a waterpipe adapter on top and/or put a hydrotube on top of it like the PNWT? Or is it only capable of dry hitting?

i personally don't (ever) use water filtration and don't share FC's obsession with water tools ... the Bud Toaster is not meant to be used with a bong or waterpipe or hydrotube, et. al. this is my desktop vape, it lives next to my computer and a water-filled glass fixture is forbidden in this environment. and, really, i just don't see the need. can a water tool be adapted to it? perhaps, but not likely (or easily), and it won't be done by me.

i'm a geezer (almost 67), so simpler is better ... in my mind the BT is perfect as it is. if somebody needs water filtration, they should perhaps look at other vapes ... or, it may be that other vapes run too hot and need water cooling.

i do have some ideas for making just a heater so it can be used with any bong or water pipe - it would be at least two, and maybe three, of the BT's heater ganged to deliver much more heat to the air stream. kind of like a heat wand, but using my heater design rather than a ceramic soldering iron heater.

tl;dr - sorry, dry hitting only.

Hello Hippie Dickie and everyone!

I made my own vaporizer, inspired by you. How? I was looking for vaporizer DIY projects. It was pretty hard beacause most of projects included toxic ingridients, as epoxy glues, aluminium pieces, soldering irons. - and i din't like this..

That, suddenly, after few days of research i had found Bud Toaster project. First, i liked the combination of heating coil and glass probes. Than, i liked your approach to this project, beacuse you share a lot of information.

So i made this:

foto-no-exif.jpg

I use nichrome coil wripper around glass probe. I have an arduino, max6675 with K thermocuple, LCD and mosfet key. The "case" was build in about 60 minutes because i couldn't wait to test it :leaf:. But it works! Another casing is in plans, but first i have to find a nice wooden cube and a way to drill in it.

You were a great inspiration for me, so thank you one again for sharing.

If anybody is interested, i can post more photos and details.

GEED

Gaseouser
Hello Hippie Dickie and everyone!

I made my own vaporizer, inspired by you. How? I was looking for vaporizer DIY projects. It was pretty hard beacause most of projects included toxic ingridients, as epoxy glues, aluminium pieces, soldering irons. - and i din't like this..

That, suddenly, after few days of research i had found Bud Toaster project. First, i liked the combination of heating coil and glass probes. Than, i liked your approach to this project, beacuse you share a lot of information.

So i made this:

foto-no-exif.jpg

I use nichrome coil wripper around glass probe. I have an arduino, max6675 with K thermocuple, LCD and mosfet key. The "case" was build in about 60 minutes because i couldn't wait to test it :leaf:. But it works! Another casing is in plans, but first i have to find a nice wooden cube and a way to drill in it.

You were a great inspiration for me, so thank you one again for sharing.

If anybody is interested, i can post more photos and details.
Outstanding, keep up the good work!

Nice work! i think computer temperature control makes all the difference.

Well, in fact i only use arduino, which make simple job:

if temperature on probe is smaller than set temperature -> turn the coil on.

There is all of it:
- Cube
- DC 12V 10A supply ( i measured about 7A DC when heating)
- mosfet with radiator
- arduino with max6675 module, lcd and potenciometer

14422537.jpg

Now i work to make schematic from this prototype and make something nice.

bounce5

When will you have units for sale (if you still plan to sell them), and how much will the cost be?

bounce5,

Stoomboot

@Vapo engineer Great work! Gota love prototyping setups :D

I also have some news to share. Smaller drills finally came in.

There were some problems with getting 0.75mm drills, they got lost in postage somewhere. The seller offered me to send new ones but apparently the Delft University of Technology bought up his whole supply (I guess they are making them selfs some vapes too :tup:). He ended up sending me 1mm drills and told me he would send the 0.75's when the become available again. Pretty darn good service if you ask me.

Anyway, the 1mm drills worked great. No screen required anymore!

I have also been experimenting with a 'fresh air hole' in my draw tube. The main advantage is that the herbs don't come up and block the holes. Of course it also mixes in some cool air. Photo (making photos of glass seems to be very difficult):

When my drilling gear is out again I will create a 'beginner tube' with more air intake holes in it. I was thinking of 3, placed above each other so you can block them with your finger.

This project is really turning out well. When I started I never thought it would come this far.

Probably because some 'stimulating factors' keep me motivated...

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
@Stoomboot - funny, i was just thinking about you and wondering how you were doing ... glad the smaller drill bits are on the way.

i think the next batch of draw tubes, both 16mm and 25mm, i will angle the hole to direct the vapor against the inside walls at the bottom to collect little bud bits. i don't notice inhaling anything, but there is accumulation in the draw tube as the vapor condenses over many sessions and becomes sticky. but it doesn't bother me.

getting rid of the screen i find to be a big treat - to be a truly all glass vapor path. i congratulate myself every session on having such a pure vapor experience.

i've been itching to fabricate this most recent (and final) case design but it's been so cold here that i can't feel my hands when i'm in the work shop -- unheated, so the temp has been around 40F. thank goodness i can remote control my office computers from the tv room in the house.

looked again at applying for a patent and finally found a definitive statement from the PTO that any website or YouTube disclosure more than 12 months prior prevents filing. finding that out saves me a couple thousand in fees. And so, the design is truly open source, for what that's worth. at least i'm happy about that ... gf is a bit miffed and i can understand, but too late now. next model ... there's always the next model.

and buying batteries is a lot more thrash than i had expected. i've been buying what are supposed to be A123 batteries on eBay, but not from an authorized reseller, so who knows. but finally i located an authorized US distributor, but it is really, really hard to get them to take my money. and i thought the chance to sell me 4000 batteries would get their attention ... no, not so. and they want $10 per cell to spot weld two solder tabs -- a service which costs $0.25 on eBay. i find it all very surreal ... i just turned 67, and i find reality to be more surreal every fucking day.

oh, well, time to load another vial ...

Stoomboot

Hi all,

I have been thinking about creating a little water bubbler for my vape since I started building it. A few weeks ago I finally (kinda) succeeded. After a lot of attempts I finally managed to create the first airtight and working piece:

I used a butane torch to join 2 12mm test tubes together. The vertical tube has a small hole in it so the air / water can pass trough. The tube with the bend has 0.75mm holes, and is placed on the vial containing the herbs.

It worked really well. In fact, it worked so well I almost passed out during the first test... Unfortunately the piece broke after a few sessions :rip:, and I used all my leftover tubes...

I did some research on glassblowing and it seems that most professional glassblowers use a oxy-propane torch for borosilicate glass. Butane doesn't burn hot enough to melt the glass, but it seems to be just fine for joining / bending. With a better torch you also gain more control over the flame. Although glassblowing seems like an awesome hobby to get into, I currently don't have the funds to buy equipment like that. Maybe later...

What I probably will do is buy a second butane torch and heat the glass from 2 sides. I also need more tubes.
This project is starting to cost more then I would like to admit:\, but it seems to be worth it.

Anyway, making cheap blubbers like this seems to be possible. Hopefully I can improve my skills and make some better pieces in the future.

Happy vaping,

- Stoomboot

lazylathe

Almost there...
@Hippie Dickie

I have been trying to download the files from your Sky Drive but it always tells me to try again later. This is on my Mac or Windows pc.

Are you going to be uploading them again or will they be available at all?
I am heading into the DIY land again and yours would be the one I would base my design around, for personal use only not interested in producing more than one or two.

I saw you uploaded a "lady cube" as well that sounds interesting!!

Thanks for any help!!
Can't wait to own one of your cubes!!

lazylathe,
Reactions: Buildozer

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
@lazylathe - yeah, sorry about that, links change. Here are some new ones:

Lady Bud Toaster (it's pink):
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=2b3f5d74f36685c!147&authkey=!AICG1d_-K-BoT5g&ithint=folder,jpg

note, this is an earlier iteration, since abandoned when i fully (re)committed to the cube. i liked the cylinder shape because it assembled without fasteners - which, at the time, i thought was great for serviceability but became impossible to scale the prototype fab method i was using to a thousand units.

Here is the folder of assembly language code as PDFs:
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=2b3f5d74f36685c!229&authkey=!ANiYdhcTDU_nCrw&ithint=folder,pdf

code hasn't changed in 2 years ... and i still have some program space available ... kind of reserving this for an improved PID implementation ... someday, but what i've got is good enough to sell.

Here are the two schematics:
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=2b3f5d74f36685c!243&authkey=!AN4yAjTLlzDx6q0&ithint=folder,JPG

the first one is the main pcb with processor, temp sensor chip and voltage regulator, MOSFET. This is current. the second one shows the three button input that connects to one of the processor A-to-D channels. i really couldn't see a need for three buttons and the preproduction BT only uses 2 buttons.

gosh, i'm in verbal mode today ... we just moved back into our crib after some renovations, and i'm just giddy with the changes and the potential ... my mind is whirling (and not from the Glitsa fumes).

Good luck on your DIY project! it's a trip to vape with your own device ... all glass, temp controlled, battery powered for portability, leather carry case ... quite a trip.

lazylathe

Almost there...
Thanks @Hippie Dickie !!!

I downloaded them and saved to my computer for further analysis!!
Should be starting it in the next few months.
Just have to move house and set everything up again...

lazylathe,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
You're welcome, @lazylathe ... for more pictures look through my albums on icmag.com, from Model 13 V6, which version started this thread here, through the current Model 14 v3, which went into service on 4/20/2011:
http://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?u=98947

somebody asked me about how the ABV looks ... it's kind of boring, it always looks like this ... here is before (left) and after 7 minute session, with one stir after 3 or 4 minutes (right):
picture.php

i pull pieces off the herb with tweezers and drop them into the vial ... i do not grind, EVER, and do not pack into the vial ... air should be able to move freely through the herb in the vial. a nice slow steady draw, either from diaphragm or mouth pumping.

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
thanks ... no, i had not seen that ... looks complicated. it uses the replacement for the MAX6675 that i use in my design.

Hippie Dickie,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
just a poke on this thread to (1) celebrate 6 years since i started this thread ... the Bud Toaster has come a long way, baby ... but still ... miles to go, it seems. still trying to time the release for when cannabis and paraphernalia is legal in my state ... i really don't want to move west. i love where i live and gf just renovated the first floor of the crib. mind-blowingly awesome crib, that it is now.

and (2) to celebrate moving the thread to its proper place as a "Candidate", rather than being with the actual, real products. thanks to Max for getting this sorted out.

my plan is to start a new thread for the commercial Bud Toaster.

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
thanks ... yeah, me also.

up to version 39 of the leather case, and, like 38 times before, THIS IS IT!!! i'm hopeful, but waiting to see how it manifests. the pisser is having such an outrageous vaporizer and being stuck on the proper presentation posture.

leather case, definitely a leather case ... a box within a box design seems to solve a lot of fabrication issues and is pretty sturdy ... and when the lid is closed the contents are (somewhat) sealed.

now, i'm working through implementing a leather hammock (sling) that holds the smaller draw tube. AND at the same time, reinforces the structure of the open side of the case.

then, install the batteries. i am going to warrant these LiFePO4 cells for at least 5 years - maybe lifetime.

then, the leather loops that hold the vials and tubes.

really, going back to the very first case design, except without the sloped front. not really sure what i've been doing for the last two years ... but i do have a box of prototypes and another box of leather scraps. progress!

my leather craftsmanship is slowly improving ... the corners are beginning to look proper.

i might get this version camera ready in the next couple of days.

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
Amazing Hippie. Have loved to see the progress over the years. My brain isn't as big as yours or a lot of those who have also followed along over the years, but i can spot a winning vape when i see one. This is a winner. It is a must for me after following for all these years to eventually get one into my hands.

Edit. Wow. @Hippie Dickie. I just had to look and it looks like you and i signed up for FC within 7 days of eachother way back in May 2009. I beat you in by a few days. Cheers.

Last edited:

Hashtag46&2

Trichome Technician
You're welcome, @lazylathe ... for more pictures look through my albums on icmag.com, from Model 13 V6, which version started this thread here, through the current Model 14 v3, which went into service on 4/20/2011:
http://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?u=98947

somebody asked me about how the ABV looks ... it's kind of boring, it always looks like this ... here is before (left) and after 7 minute session, with one stir after 3 or 4 minutes (right):
picture.php

i pull pieces off the herb with tweezers and drop them into the vial ... i do not grind, EVER, and do not pack into the vial ... air should be able to move freely through the herb in the vial. a nice slow steady draw, either from diaphragm or mouth pumping.
Mind................ Bloooowwwnnn!

Amazing good sir.

Lol..
I use the same method of loading... Either tweezers or my fingernails.

Never grind.

I own a Sestos PID which is currently being used as an E-Nail, ...errr... Paperweight since I quit dabbing.

Someday, I'd like to try to make a Vaporizer with it.
Awesome work man.

Top Bottom