Discontinued The Splinter by RBT

Status
Not open for further replies.

WakeAndVape

VapeLife X
i do like the 18mm of the milaana but i think i would like to se a 14mm native version floating around.

that being said i think the BEST scenario would be to have a special reducer included that would make it be either 14 or 18 depending on preference out the box...it would fill the most shoes and a small glass sleeve shouldn't be too hard to make right?

WakeAndVape,
Reactions: P.A.M.

hippogriff

i do like the 18mm of the milaana but i think i would like to se a 14mm native version floating around.

that being said i think the BEST scenario would be to have a special reducer included that would make it be either 14 or 18 depending on preference out the box...it would fill the most shoes and a small glass sleeve shouldn't be too hard to make right?
Yes that's available, @DDave has them sourced in his kits. I have one for my Milaana, works great, also love the similarly-sized Firewood4 w it's narrow capsule system. I'm hoping this MI-510 will be dedicated 14mm for smallest size, limited # of pieces to carry, and best fit w/ my Evic Mini.

WakeAndVape

VapeLife X
Yes that's available, @DDave has them sourced in his kits. I have one for my Milaana, works great, also love the similarly-sized Firewood4 w it's narrow capsule system. I'm hoping this MI-510 will be dedicated 14mm for smallest size, limited # of pieces to carry, and best fit w/ my Evic Mini.
i know @DDave has the kit game on lock down...i hope the 510 will have a shorter custom 14/18mm stem size to reduce the look of the device overall...and the reducer should be included with the kit or maybe just have custom 14mm stems with reducers built on to reduce the number os pieces

WakeAndVape

VapeLife X
https://instagram.com/p/BRlF8R7gPwE/

Conducted some marketing research at Gasparilla last weeekend to determine suggested MSRP. What does FC feel is a low and high price point for the Mi-510?
I think $75 would be a good low point with $125 being max imo.

I know the tech is good and worth more, but having a RBT device for around that ticket will get alot more folks in the door.

Plus you gotta buy your own mod?

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
https://instagram.com/p/BRlF8R7gPwE/

Conducted some marketing research at Gasparilla last weeekend to determine suggested MSRP. What does FC feel is a low and high price point for the Mi-510?

Considering it is an attachment, and not a all-in-one vape i am thinking $80 to $150 depending on content of the kit (extra screens and/or concentrate ready) and the overal performance. If it really can perform like the Zion, i would lean toward the higher end eventually. This would be after some initial sales and positive word of mouth.

Last edited:

P.A.M.

Vapo Rising
$75 as previously mentioned would be good low point . You need to buy a mod box which a good one would cost about the same , then battery or batteries.. your up to approx $200 by the time you are done which might be a bit high for some or even hard to justify for a vaporizer newbie or rookie.. currency exchange makes it more for people outside of usa too.
.. If wanting to get the rbt in as much hands available anyways.. the diy project is $35 and is said to work similar to Milaana and other quality vapes so...
.. if built for people who can afford 4 of them or to upgrade every change, then maybe $150 +. :rofl:

Edit : @IAmKrazy2 makes a good point about depending what is included and possibility to raise price once "proven" or comparable with zion... which raises question or dilemma of having 3 rbt portable products at 3 different price levels . Would or will need a chart comparing features or efficiency to help people choose which one is for them or price them to market to different demographic segments.

Last edited:

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
I mean now that I have a Zion in hand, I could easily see it selling for $350 plus. I think if i had no choice to replace mine i would probably shell out a lot more. Performance is just unmatched by anything else on batteries IMO and in many ways outperforms the best desktops. I sure as hell use it a lot more then any other vape I own. It has turned me back into a direct draw snob, and use water vapes like the Evo and Supreme3 much less then i used to.

So the idea of getting in the door with Zion performance at a lower price is more then intriguing. If performance is on par with Zion i can see just the attachment even closer to or at $200/each. If someone already owned a box mod and batteries there really would be nothing else in the $200 range that would even come close.

I am fairly sure selling the attachment at under $100 would not be viable for RBT. He would have to sell 2 or more units a day 365 days a year to even come close to treading water.

Farid

I'd consider this if it was under $100. It's not a stand alone piece, and it's not really pocket able, but if it offers the ability to try this famed heater technology at a reduced rate I see the appeal. If temp control is the selling point, the project is very cheap, and offers that plus better portability.

RastaBuddhaTao

Manufacturer
Thanks to all for the spot-on feedback and much respect to the folks behind the scenes that make FC possible.

The plan is to sell direct for a limited time to existing customers followed by the FC faithful. This will enable a lower price point prior to adding in retail margin. What a great way to show appreciation to early supporters and Stack the deck with FC experts.

The Mi version will be easily pocketable assuming the mouthpiece is removed. The Zi version would require that the unit be unscrewed from the mod. Size will be addressed in future revisions provided physics allows.

The 510 will be an economical option for folks who already have a mod and its low wattage requirements allow for the use of low cost Mods.

But first, the joy of providing Zion to a bunch of awesome Vaporist! ...look for the 510 to take flight mid-year.

HD Springer

After playing around and trying different on demand convection types of vaporizers I'm finding there is no substitute for RBT heater technology. IMO. Everything else has been far from what I've grown to love about @RastaBuddhaTao heater technology.

If you can keep this cost below $100 then I feel you'll have a better chance for more people to try it. Even with the projects costs being below $50. imo.

RastaBuddhaTao

Manufacturer
Please keep in mind I am asking for the high/low retail price that includes profit margin for both RBT as well as retailers rather than a hobby on FC. In other words, what is the expected MSRP if it was listed next to the MFLB, Hopper, FF, PAX etc on PV or Namaste. As stated, there is a plan to price break for FC and existing customers prior to retail sales.

The rule of thumb is to double your cost to retailers and they double that cost for MSRP. For instance, if cost is $40, it is sold to retailers for $80 and the retailer sells it for $160. A few retailers will take less margin but they are few and far between. Without retail sales channels sales are low without significant investment in marketing. The formula is tight with US parts and labor. Good help in the states is hard to find at $2/hour ;). Typical loaded hourly rates for contract manufacturing run $25 - $35 an hour in the states.

Looks like the high/low MSRP is currently $100/$150 depending on wood type, glass color, Mi/Zi, and accessories?

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Please keep in mind I am asking for the high/low retail price that includes profit margin for both RBT as well as retailers rather than a hobby on FC. In other words, what is the expected MSRP if it was listed next to the MFLB, Hopper, FF, PAX etc on PV or Namaste. As stated, there is a plan to price break for FC and existing customers prior to retail sales.

The rule of thumb is to double your cost to retailers and they double that cost for MSRP. For instance, if cost is $40, it is sold to retailers for $80 and the retailer sells it for $160. A few retailers will take less margin but they are few and far between. Without retail sales channels sales are low without significant investment in marketing. The formula is tight with US parts and labor. Good help in the states is hard to find at $2/hour ;). Typical loaded hourly rates for contract manufacturing run $25 - $35 an hour in the states.

Looks like the high/low MSRP is currently $100/$150 depending on wood type, glass color, Mi/Zi, and accessories?

Well I don't have much to add other than what's already been said, sounds like you're in the right track here so I'll continue waiting patiently until I can just try one myself (who knows if it'll be this, a new updated spalted Milaana, or a new finalized Zion that I end up with first...)

So I'll just share these great photos from the RBT Instagram showing off the latest Mi510, which looks pretty damn nice to me!

pFU1Biw.jpg

JNmrbnc.jpg

MaFh3cP.jpg

(Oh and personally, I wouldn't really compare this to The Project and its price point... Seems pretty clear that they are geared toward different people, despite any overlap imo)

Farid

(Oh and personally, I wouldn't really compare this to The Project and its price point... Seems pretty clear that they are geared toward different people, despite any overlap imo)

I sort of get what you're saying - one is DIY, one is not. But could you elaborate on other differences on the functionality? If the project wasn't DIY, would there be any major difference in performance? Is it just that the RBT is capable of more power?

natural farmer

I sort of get what you're saying - one is DIY, one is not. But could you elaborate on other differences on the functionality? If the project wasn't DIY, would there be any major difference in performance? Is it just that the RBT is capable of more power?
I didn't really get what @Shit Snacks tried to say either... What do you mean geared toward different people? Do you mean poor people and people who have cash to spare on middle men profit margins? Cause otherwise they don't have that many differences other than the heating element. Both perform excellently and similarly with Project having an advantage in my opinion of having both a SS core (airpaths) or a glass core, being faster as you can up the wattage to whatever heights and have vapor in less than 3 secs, having a smaller size, better temp control, user serviceability, better durability and all these at a fraction of the cost, especially if someone spends an hour or so to built his/her own. I doubt many will but it's there.

HD Springer

I didn't really get what @Shit Snacks tried to say either... What do you mean geared toward different people? Do you mean poor people and people who have cash to spare on middle men profit margins? Cause otherwise they don't have that many differences other than the heating element. Both perform excellently and similarly with Project having an advantage in my opinion of having both a SS core (airpaths) or a glass core, being faster as you can up the wattage to whatever heights and have vapor in less than 3 secs, having a smaller size, better temp control, user serviceability, better durability and all these at a fraction of the cost, especially if someone spends an hour or so to built his/her own. I doubt many will but it's there.

My biggest issue with the project is the material the body is made out of. That's a ton of heat being surrounded by what exactly? I have seen some one make their own cork body. Which is pretty cool.

I will say the single coil heaters lack the overall heat that RBT's design give (I'm not referring to the heater in the project). I haven't tried anything other then a single coil heater and to be honest it can't even compete with RBT's style. Just my opinion and what I've found works best for my style of vaping.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)

Functionally they are similar, on demand pure convection with stainless steel heaters (and glass too for Gaze I think it's called, but not the Eraser) and performance does seem to be similar though I haven't tried The Project. But since the heaters are still different designs I'd expect slightly different vapor profiles as a result like there is with Milaana, Mist, and others... DIY is the biggest difference, though the wood is also a big difference along with different designs. Aside from that, you won't ever see The Project at retail right? Just a thread in the FC diy and Reddit too I guess, RBT said we are throwing out price for MSRP with retailers so that alone is a big difference itself

I didn't really get what @Shit Snacks tried to say either... What do you mean geared toward different people? Do you mean poor people and people who have cash to spare on middle men profit margins?

That is not what I mean and it's a little insulting to put it that way? Maybe not insulting, but not so nice imo. Obviously most people would want to pay as little as possible in general, but that's not the way things work... It seems like you are already extremely happy with the project in every way so I don't know why you'd even care about this one at all? If you like the wood then that's a big difference to me, and again I still find the RBT high surface area mesh heater to provide one of the most ideal experiences for me, despite other similar designs that are equally effective yet different (ofcourse I have not tried them all... yet) We don't know what the FC-direct price might be yet, and that'd be more comparable to The Project perhaps, but with the addition of the wood work raising the price I'm sure. However with the goal of mainstream retail and setting an MSRP, that is what I mean by why compare the low low price of the DIY Project to this? Doesn't seem to make too much sense to me, but that may just be me afterall

P.A.M.

Vapo Rising
I think rbt probably has idea already of what he wants to sell it for. Initiated the question first on how much it could sell for, then followed with the msrp info and marketing 101 after some answers. basically leaving us in dark with the first question like sheeps.

Bottom line is its the cost of doing business , I dont think anyone's answers changes based on who or where we buy it from or based on knowing the mrsp jazz.

Of course natural farmer can still have interest in this even if he is happy with his Eraser , like I can too, even if can't afford much, like people who already have a Milana or two or three can as well..

Everyone has different needs , different prices they are willing to pay for certain things , etc. I find it a bit unfair to have us debate or argue the price of a product .. we aren't argueing but it does divide us more then it unites us.

Really, it is up to rbt to price and differentiate his products within his own product line , and the products of others .

Believe it or not , I am considering a mi-510 as I do need a good portable unit. Luckily for rbt I don't have much cash flow otherwise would have pulled the trigger on the Eraser project by now..
I'm the type to buy 1 good thing and stick with it , I do shop around for best bang for buck.

it's hard to fork out $200usd ($250+cnd exchange I guess) when you have no idea if you will like vaporizing or not . I know I like it and would still have a hard time justifying the expense being my bamboo hi serves me well. Only once you really get into vaporising do you realise it does pay back by the flower you save. Doesn't mean I will spend that hard saved grass on endless vaporiser purchases..

If I had the cash I'd order parts to build a few Squog's . Square logs . They probably be around 80usd / 100cnd or less, would include glass stem and adapter. Have most parts sourced out. Could even do mop and abalone binding inlay on the squog's edges like seen on guitars. Could by prrrty. Maybe I should source part for a portable being what I need loll. many people can diy but it's always easier to buy when it's already made at a bargain. Perhaps rbt can try to duplicate that "feeling" for the end customer and still make profit

vape time !

Last edited:

hippogriff

I'm with you on the $100/$150, the Project is the only really comparable option and not commercially priced, and the materials and RBT heater are well-proven IMO, there's definitely a place for the 510 in your customer base. RBT is a premium brand, like the Stickybrick of electric convection portables.

Can you give more details on the Mi/Zi distinction? I was thinking the mod controls would give us a wattage range that mimicked the Zion variable control, but now it sounds like there will be two versions, one with the Zion knob, is that right? Happy Milaana owner here, Zion's a bit too $$ and, more than that, too big for my use, but I'll definitely be ordering a RBT 510 w/ variable control.

Andreaerdna

If God is the answer, then the question is wrong
Please keep in mind I am asking for the high/low retail price that includes profit margin for both RBT as well as retailers rather than a hobby on FC.

The rule of thumb is to double your cost to retailers and they double that cost for MSRP. For instance, if cost is $40, it is sold to retailers for $80 and the retailer sells it for $160.

Vapcap was sold at 30usd for a while before going retails and only 35 after going through big retailers and he is a winner (and he was already a winner before going through retailers)

If you want retailer to make all the job than you have to be less greedy yourself

Anything above 50usd is a risk, 100/150 is another hobby

Last edited:

natural farmer

My biggest issue with the project is the material the body is made out of. That's a ton of heat being surrounded by what exactly? I have seen some one make their own cork body. Which is pretty cool.

I will say the single coil heaters lack the overall heat that RBT's design give (I'm not referring to the heater in the project). I haven't tried anything other then a single coil heater and to be honest it can't even compete with RBT's style. Just my opinion and what I've found works best for my style of vaping.
I agree with you that for connoisseurs the silicone sleeve of the Eraser is not ideal cause some can taste some of the silicone in their vapor but let's not forget silicone is used in so many vapes nowadays, even in direct contact with the vapor, most people will never taste it... And of course there is no health hazard. Silicone sleeves have proved very practical but for connoisseurs there is always the option for the Glass Project or a wood sleeve (they are coming... ;)) or of course as said a cork sleeve. Mica tubing can also be used if sourced ....
On the heat part, a single coil in this case is actually more powerful and gives as much heat as you ask from it and it does so faster than the RBT heater. And can be configured in different shapes so it can give even more heat. My stacked pancake coil heater is even stronger than the OG Twister coil. Similar pancake coil as the MistVape Touch. Tubo Evic should be even more powerfull with more coils and glass in the mix. I have tried both Milaana and Eraser with a good amount of herbs. The only advantage of the RBT tech I have seen is the slightly more uniform vaping without the need to rotate the stem and that might actually be even more improved with that new addition to the RBT heaters! :tup: That's important as well. People will have choices.
I am not a Project fanboy and I don't have anything to gain from it. I am just a consumer with limited budget telling things the way I see them.
I would love to see RBT products selling for half the price as was originally intended by Ryan but it's his choice to follow the other road and I respect it. US is a different planet anyways, wages are different, prices are different, lifestyles are different. I am speaking from my perspective as a poor European, if I made $2000 a month or more I would probably own every last vape out there and gift away the ones that didn't sit well with me, but I am not and I have to voice my opinion. It's just my opinion, there is no reason to debate about that.... Move on! :cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom