The best diffusion glass that you own?

mnd99

Hello FC,

What is the best diffusion glass piece that you own? Do you have a piece that you feel has the perfect diffusion without ruining the experience? Let's talk!

Stereo Matrix pieces for me but I don't have a lot of glass with good percs.

mnd99,

DenverNugs

For vaping? I like just a single circ or showerhead. For combusting nothing beats a gridded stemline.

DenverNugs,
Reactions: stonedbob

Eatrocks

Depends on what ur hitting imo, smaller pieces(4-8in) with one good perc(showerhead/honeycomb/puck etc)

For flower i like the inline/tree arm style with multiple chambers...

My brand new piece just arrived but its not letting me post pics(i know how and have done it). 2nd qual sale at TAG, for 35 i got a 7 in puck style diff wit bent neck, 14mm, and hi air flow banger. I like dabbing outta simple pieces that clear extremely quick for best effect.

herbivore21

I love the old 11 hole diffuser downstems for dabs with minimal water.

For flowers and concentrates that don't completely melt, a ball rig is great too (works for dabs quite well with a little less water too)! I love a good tree perc for flowers too, and various stemline style percs are good for this.

I don't combust at all and haven't for a long time so no opinion on that ;)

MoltenTiger

The Seed of Life double lace discs, and I assume too the lace sphere perc, are simply amazing.
Really satisfying amount of diffusion and ample remaining flavour. It's like eating a marshmallow of vapour cloud. Smaller pieces retain only slightly more flavour but the extra heat and limited diffusion makes it quite harsh and changes the signature. I quite like harsh hits as I appreciate the similarity to smoking in some way, but there's something to be said about the unsurpassed smoothness from the meticulously crafted lace percs.
23rpa2c.jpg

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
My favourite piece is my homemade ice camber that is about 1 litre. It holds a ton of ice which I use dry until it melts. After the ice melts it becomes an ice slushy that offers a different type of hit but it's still really nice. I enjoy using it from time to time as it delivers actually cold vapour.

Winegums,
Reactions: OldOyler

lwien

My favourite piece is my homemade ice camber that is about 1 litre. It holds a ton of ice which I use dry until it melts. After the ice melts it becomes an ice slushy that offers a different type of hit but it's still really nice. I enjoy using it from time to time as it delivers actually cold vapour.

If ya want a really smooooooth hit, try vaping through very warm (almost hot) water. Smooooooooth and super easy on the lungs. I can almost take in twice the vapor with very warm water than I can vaping through ice.

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
If ya want a really smooooooth hit, try vaping through very warm (almost hot) water. Smooooooooth and super easy on the lungs. I can almost take in twice the vapor with very warm water than I can vaping through ice.

When ever I try warm water it makes my throat burn and I feel like I'm drowning in humid air. Different strokes I guess?

I know I'm losing some vapour to the cold but it's a now and then thing that I do.

Winegums,
Reactions: OldOyler

mnd99

The Seed of Life double lace discs, and I assume too the lace sphere perc, are simply amazing.
Really satisfying amount of diffusion and ample remaining flavour. It's like eating a marshmallow of vapour cloud. Smaller pieces retain only slightly more flavour but the extra heat and limited diffusion makes it quite harsh and changes the signature. I quite like harsh hits as I appreciate the similarity to smoking in some way, but there's something to be said about the unsurpassed smoothness from the meticulously crafted lace percs.
23rpa2c.jpg

Someone somewhere on this planet who has been unable to decide on a sol piece probably made their decision thanks to you :p

60t Stereo matrix for me... I want to move on to something a littler smaller though.

Which ones are you looking at getting?

For vaping? I like just a single circ or showerhead. For combusting nothing beats a gridded stemline.

Can someone explain to me please why the gridded stemline for example is not ideal for vaping? What about such percs make it not ideal for vaping?

MoltenTiger

Someone somewhere on this planet who has been unable to decide on a sol piece probably made their decision thanks to you :p

Which ones are you looking at getting?

Can someone explain to me please why the gridded stemline for example is not ideal for vaping? What about such percs make it not ideal for vaping?
And there is little to no chance they would be disappointed, although as @nodrog points out, having a small piece is a somewhat good idea for vaping. SoL make some damn nice bubblers too ;)

As to why a gridded stemline is better for smoking over vaping, it just comes down to percolation and diffusion. When combusting, the smoke is hot and the cloud is full of sticky bullshit. A gridded stemline is going to cause smoother percolation compared to a simpler design, causing smaller bubbles and greater diffusion. A gridded stemline equates to a small volume in a larger basin of water, so the smoke gets cooled easily and the water has plenty of chance to interact with the gas.
An ordinary stem has similar dynamics but causes more turbulence and creates larger bubbles. This limits the diffusion.
When vaping, the vast majority of sticky stuff is hydrocarbons we're after. And so more diffusion will cause more of them to become trapped and ultimately condensed due to thermal phase change.
A good portion of those hydrocarbons are very flavourful (aromatic), and the rate all constituents get trapped in the piece will vary. Generally lots of diffusion drowns out key flavour profiles. So it is this combination that means when you compare glass pieces they are all subtly different and offer, in some cases, very notable signature difference. Size difference limiting cooling potential and different mouthpiece styles are probably more notable changes than a different perc however.

In my opinion a combustion piece is large to allow ample cooling, has ideally 2 percolators to balance tar absorption and drag, and isn't overly intricate to allow for easy cleaning of toxic sludge.
Although most smoking in my country is actually done through brass, garden hose and PET bottles - you can do as you please, there's no rules. I would happily vape out of a gridded stemline, often, but I would want a simple piece alongside it.
I have gone through some glass, all of it fairly cheap, and arrived at my final solution of the lace discs above for the massive hits where the vapour density renders condensation loss negligible (think about how much O2 we absorb and breathe out, it's the same with vapour clouds, I assume, you just have to make them massive clouds for the small loss). And alongside it I have two pieces with three-hole downstems in small and smaller, which see as much use.

Stevenski

Enter the Dragon
I use a gridded stemline as my DD & have no issues. I am not a flavour chaser by any stretch of the imagination as I like it "hot & hurty" at 210c+ & don't get a choice in what I vape as @MoltenTiger would understand perfectly. My favourite piece is my old showerhead bubbler as it was just about perfect.

Now I feel like pulling the trigger on a nice SOL bubbler but I am thinking about keeping it simpler & finding a nice 2 or 3 hole design. It is a case of horses for courses really as what one person likes another will hate.

Top Bottom