The Belkin WeMo WiFi Power Outlet

M00NEY

@Sinclue ~Thx for this input.

I'll see how this one goes and report back. I am also looking into a WiFi range extender as my vapin'station is in a remote corner of the house with weak connectivity when the bedroom door is closed. Hoping that a strong WiFi signal will eliminate some of hte reliability issues I have read about with IFTTT working *most* of the time...

M00NEY,

Sinclue

OK disagree with me, I can't force you to be right
@Sinclue ~Thx for this input.

I'll see how this one goes and report back. I am also looking into a WiFi range extender as my vapin'station is in a remote corner of the house with weak connectivity when the bedroom door is closed. Hoping that a strong WiFi signal will eliminate some of hte reliability issues I have read about with IFTTT working *most* of the time...

Hope it works for you. My WeMo is 6' away from my WiFi router with direct unobstructed path and I still have those issues. Pretty sure it must be IFTTT.

Sinclue,

M00NEY

That could actually be too hot of a signal to the WeMo too... I know in DD-WRT firmware there is an option to lower the WiFi signal power for exactly that reason.

Time will tell though - I will update here as soon as I have logged a few days. Perhaps we can figure it out between us.

M00NEY,

Deadshort480

We're here to fuck shit up.
It's definitely errors that occur on the IFTTT end. I'm convinced it's just not reliable. Programming a schedule through the app has been 100% reliable.

Deadshort480,
Reactions: mmenzie

M00NEY

After some observations last night, I completely concur.

Mine is the Insight Switch - and I can watch the switch go in and out of standby (no power draw) via the app when the EVO has gone into its auto-shutoff mode. The Insight goes into standby when no power is being drawn (or presumably when it a VERY low draw), an dI can see standby come and go with the blink of the LED in the unit. This happening on the 15 and 45 minute marks that the recipes should be resetting the WeMo Insight...

Next step is a long rule set in the WeMo App... It is too bad we cannot import a csv config for a rule list...

M00NEY,

Sinclue

I have the Insight Switch too. My EVO has an odd shutoff cycle (as soon as I can bear to part with it I'll send it back in for repair/update). Somewhere between 32 and 37 minutes it shuts off.

Since IFTTT seemed to be the way to go I didn't really think about programming the switch itself. A quick look at the menu options and I'm not sure I can program it for my situation. I essentially need it to cycle every half hour at this point.

Sinclue,

Deadshort480

You set the schedule. You can set it up to turn off every 29 minutes. The thing with the schedule is that the EVO has to be off for a full minute between cycles, but since it retains the heat it's no big deal.

Deadshort480,

Sinclue

You set the schedule. You can set it up to turn off every 29 minutes. The thing with the schedule is that the EVO has to be off for a full minute between cycles, but since it retains the heat it's no big deal.

That would be great except I can't figure out how to do that. I can see that you can set it for a certain time to go on and off, or sunrise/sunset, but I don't see anything that allows you to set it the way you describe.

Sinclue,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I'm having great success lately with my IFTTT recipes to power cycle the Evo on the half hour. My proximity "auto turn on when I'm 3 miles from home" recipe only works about half the time, though. :disgust:

:peace:

Stu,

Pickz

Vapes on vapes on vapes!
I just pulled the trigger on a WeMo from eBay. I have been on the fence for a while and finally decided that not having to wait for the Cloud to warm is worth the money. I'm not sure if I'll use IFTTT, but if I do I'm almost sure my auto-shutoff on my Cloud is over an hour so it should be easy. I haven't actually timed it, but I'm almost positive it is over an hour. Anyways, I can't wait for this thing to get here!

Pickz,

Deadshort480

That would be great except I can't figure out how to do that. I can see that you can set it for a certain time to go on and off, or sunrise/sunset, but I don't see anything that allows you to set it the way you describe.
The way I set it is like this.

Add a new rule. Turn on/off by time. Set the time to turn on. Set the time to turn off. Repeat.

So my weekday (M-F) setup looks like this.

ON 12:00pm OFF 12:55pm
ON 12:56pm OFF 1:51pm
ON 1:52pm OFF 2:47pm
ON 2:48pm OFF 3:00pm (I go into work at 3)

So, you set up the schedule manually according to the time you want it on.

Deadshort480,
Reactions: grokit

Sinclue

The way I set it is like this.

Add a new rule. Turn on/off by time. Set the time to turn on. Set the time to turn off. Repeat.

Thanks, I figured that was what would have to happen. Mine is on for 10+ hours a day at differing times. My schedule isn't as set as yours. Maybe they'll be changing the program in the future. That mini-USB plug must be to connect to a computer for updates or firmware upgrades.

Sinclue,

Deadshort480

You can set your schedule for the full 10 hours while disabling and enabling rules as need be. I am always disabling a few rules and then enabling them later on.

That schedule above is just my weekday schedule. There is still a weekend and an everyday schedule. My weekday schedule is just my shortest. Once your schedule is set and you get used to disabling and enabling it all becomes so easy.

I would still like to have an option to turn the unit off and then back on in any chosen amount of time, but the world is an imperfect place.

Deadshort480,

M00NEY

You can. You can toggle the switch on and off as well as toggle rules on and off...

M00NEY,
Reactions: grokit

GSH

On a Möbius plane
You can set your schedule for the full 10 hours while disabling and enabling rules as need be. I am always disabling a few rules and then enabling them later on.

That schedule above is just my weekday schedule. There is still a weekend and an everyday schedule. My weekday schedule is just my shortest. Once your schedule is set and you get used to disabling and enabling it all becomes so easy.

I would still like to have an option to turn the unit off and then back on in any chosen amount of time, but the world is an imperfect place.
I tried to set up schedules using the WeMo app instead of IFTTT, but I was only able to add a maximum of 9 rules before it wouldn't let me add anymore? Anyone else had this issue? I have IFTTT set up to power cycle every half hour and the Cloud just stays on the whole time, but I would prefer a proper schedule where it turns off and on a set times during the day.

My cloud shuts off after 37 mins so I have to have rules that switch on and off every half hour.

I want rules as follows:

Mornings (Mon-Sun) - 6am to 8am (4 half hour rules)
Evenings (Mon-Sun) - 5pm to 2am (18 half hour rules)
Weekends (Sat-Sun) - 8am to 5pm (18 half hour rules) (filling the gaps)

But I can't get it to work!

Maxes out at 9 rules and I get the error message below when trying to save the 10th.

Would be cool to have unlimited rules IMO.

w4gX9X2l.jpg

GSH,

Deadshort480

I currently have 20 rules set up and enabled. No issues.

You are using the WeMo or the WeMo Insight?

Deadshort480,
Reactions: GSH

GSH

On a Möbius plane
Just the straight WeMo, seems very odd that it won't add more than 9 rules. I have reset it as well...

GSH,

Deadshort480

Hmmm, I'm using the Insight. Perhaps there is more programming capability with the Insight?

Deadshort480,

GSH

On a Möbius plane
Hmmm, I'm using the Insight. Perhaps there is more programming capability with the Insight?
You may be right, perhaps I will pick up an Insight at some point myself.

Until then I think I may have cracked it! I can add more rules if I keep disabling them straight after. setting them up. Then re enable them all, once the full schedule is set up. Going to try now...

EDIT//
That worked after many app crashes...but got it set up now. Although I am not sure it is working as one if the the rule that was active and set to switch off at 29mins past failed. Will check to see if it cycles at the top of the hour...

EDIT EDIT//
Failed again. It's just not switching the WeMo off or on at all, even though the rules are saying they are active. Back to IFTTT I go :(

Last edited:
GSH,
Reactions: M00NEY

John Lewus

My IFTTT recipe for togging on the hour works 95% of the time. My WeMo is only one room away from the router so I wonder if that is where most people are having issues. It could also be your ISP as well. I don't know if IFTTT will confirm if the signal actually made it. I somehow doubt it.

John Lewus,

Zangano Cruel

IG zan.cru (code) zancru (5% NV checkout discount)
So, finally an app that insert images instead of links on an iPhone, get SkyPath guys, Instagram for me didn't cut it. So here's my photo.
I like to run all my recipes in case one fails from bad internet or etc etc.
At 00, 15 , 30 45 and area proximity locator. Whatever works... The point is to get my EVO as long as possible on...
This is working for me at the moment...
Stay vaped my friends...

zru2.png

Edit:

BTW, my WEMO Insight it's working pretty well, considering the wifi router is on the top floor of the house…
The shed is like good 25 ft away… Weather in the NW is shitty right now,rainy windy cold, internet signal is not the best for Comcast NW, WA and OR measly basic 20/4 MBps speeds with normal payment, unless you upgrade to $$$$$$$ for a fake speed, US should learn from some Europe and Asian countries, they are running 50/50 MBps plus speeds. Talk about HD1080 :)

Last edited:

M00NEY

@Zangano Cruel Those are on an insight, correct? Could you perhaps make those public so I can give them a go? I still have troubles getting either IFTTT or direct rules to work all the time, but I am certain it has everything to do with teh WiFi signal at the unit - soon to be rectified...

M00NEY,

Deadshort480

My WeMo is under a couch, in my basement, plugged into a power strip and my Router is upstairs behind a TV. My rules through the app all work perfectly. I don't know if proximity has much to do with it. Perhaps I'm just lucky?

Deadshort480,

mmenzie

My friends call me "Menz"
hello all,
I need some help here or maybe i am just crazy. if anyone else in this thread still uses the original WeMo Switch (not the insight) and uses the WeMo app on their iPhone i need your help. here is the situation:

in late december 2013 i bought the original WeMo switch (not the insight) from Best Buy. so i only bought it a month ago or less. i installed the app on my iPhone 4S and set it up. at the time of installing the app, the icon for the WeMo app was orange (i note the color cause i did not look at the version number at the time). i set it up for my Floud (Unsupported cloud for those that don't know) and the manual on and off worked as it should. i setup one rule on the app to turn on my cloud during the week each day at 6:40am and turn off at 7:20am. that rule ran flawlessly and i had no issue with the switch or the app. i was loving life.

about a week or a week and half ago the app updated on my iPhone and now the icon is green (version 1.4.1 i looked this time). the manual on and off and my single rule still work as they should but i have now noticed throughout the day my switch turns on when it is supposed to be off randomly on its own. i really thought i was crazy so i did not post this right away... so i watched it for the next week. i would make sure it was off when i left my house in the morning and then open the app on my phone at random times during the day and the green light was on. i would turn it off and check later and sometimes it would still be off and sometimes it would be on again. this only started AFTER the update of the app.

so.... anyone else with an iPhone 4S and the original WeMo switch out there want to see if this happening to you or is it just me?? i know i am crazy (i have the paperwork to prove it) but am i that crazy???

mmenzie,
Top Bottom